6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Operation: DARKSPYRO, AWD Conversion, Completed. Driven. Sold.
post Mar 27, 2013 - 4:36 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Why would anyone want to add so much more weight to their car?!? Is AWD reaaally worth it? hahaha

The ocean really did a bid on that subframe frown.gif

--------------------
post Mar 27, 2013 - 4:48 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Mar 27, 2013 - 11:36 AM) *
Why would anyone want to add so much more weight to their car?!? Is AWD reaaally worth it? hahaha

I had a turbo talon (non-awd) and I had a problem with wheel hop on launches. So the wheels wouldn't grip the ground because it was only fwd. It even had a heavy duty LSD that made parking lots irritating. I would imagine the celica fwd would be the same (minus the LSD)

--------------------
-Jay

95 GT conv. project car: Manual, Gen III 3sgte, JN pisons, Eagle rods, overbore, crank knife-edged, crank scraper, ARP head/main/flywheel, Autronic EMS, Haltech Dual Wideband O2 controller, Audi 1.8T individual coils, FMIC and SSQV BOV, 3" downpipe, 3" ultra-high-flow cat, 2.5" Borla muffler, +other
01 S2000: FMIC, Haltech EMS, Haltech wideband, 570cc inj, forged pistons/rods, sleeved block, 5 angle valve job, ported and polished
02 R6, all stock, except for braided stainless brake lines, frame sliders, and adjustable brake/clutch leve
post Mar 27, 2013 - 5:23 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (match220 @ Mar 27, 2013 - 5:48 PM) *
QUOTE (Malek @ Mar 27, 2013 - 11:36 AM) *

I had a turbo talon (non-awd) and I had a problem with wheel hop on launches. So the wheels wouldn't grip the ground because it was only fwd. It even had a heavy duty LSD that made parking lots irritating. I would imagine the celica fwd would be the same (minus the LSD)

I was just kidding haha I just got back from the Subie game. AWD is definitely worth it laugh.gif I wheel hop and spin all over the place!

--------------------
post Mar 27, 2013 - 5:31 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

I thought it might have been a joke (hence the "hahaha" and the end), but it's so hard to tell in plain text..lol

--------------------
-Jay

95 GT conv. project car: Manual, Gen III 3sgte, JN pisons, Eagle rods, overbore, crank knife-edged, crank scraper, ARP head/main/flywheel, Autronic EMS, Haltech Dual Wideband O2 controller, Audi 1.8T individual coils, FMIC and SSQV BOV, 3" downpipe, 3" ultra-high-flow cat, 2.5" Borla muffler, +other
01 S2000: FMIC, Haltech EMS, Haltech wideband, 570cc inj, forged pistons/rods, sleeved block, 5 angle valve job, ported and polished
02 R6, all stock, except for braided stainless brake lines, frame sliders, and adjustable brake/clutch leve
post Mar 27, 2013 - 8:19 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Please document the heck out of this. This intrigues me.

--------------------
post Mar 30, 2013 - 12:44 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Mar 27, 2013 - 9:19 PM) *
Please document the heck out of this. This intrigues me.

I plan on it..I'm also hoping to get dimensions of the mounts, build them up in SolidWorks and have some made.

Until then, I'm thoroughly enjoying the Celica biggrin.gif

--------------------
post Mar 30, 2013 - 9:47 PM
+Quote Post
qatar11

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '02
From Lake Orion, MI
Currently Offline

Hey -

What are you doing with all your FWD GT bits? I may be interested in them for spares for the race car.... lemme know...

--------------------
-Mike
mjcoury@gmail.com
Team Reynolds Style
Celica Blog
Celica Wiki

It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work.
post Mar 30, 2013 - 10:05 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

PM'd ya! ^^

--------------------
post Apr 8, 2013 - 11:41 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Small Update:

The woodgrain is no more!

Got some new kicks

A friend of mine (with a built subaru RS) introduced me to his sponsor, Metro Performance, today. I talked and bull****ed with the owner for a good two hours. Anyways, he's more than interested in my project and will help me out with the AWD conversion. They are mostly a subaru shop but he wants to get in with other cars.

I'll be making some dimensions and throwing it in SolidWorks so he has something to go off of. Fab up some mounts and go from there! I'll keep ya guys posted!

This post has been edited by Malek: Apr 8, 2013 - 11:43 PM

--------------------
post Apr 9, 2013 - 12:46 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

nice! Good luck with the sponsor guy!!

I like your interior, did it originally come with the tan and black interior or did someone do it custom that way? Mine is all black, and it's horrible in a convertible. The interior gets scorching hot when the top is down, worst idea ever for a convertible.

--------------------
-Jay

post Apr 9, 2013 - 2:03 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

Oo those are sparco rims that are discontinued lucky

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Apr 9, 2013 - 10:21 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (match220 @ Apr 9, 2013 - 12:46 AM) *
nice! Good luck with the sponsor guy!!

I like your interior, did it originally come with the tan and black interior or did someone do it custom that way? Mine is all black, and it's horrible in a convertible. The interior gets scorching hot when the top is down, worst idea ever for a convertible.

Thanks! But yeah, interior is stock like that. It usually has the woodgrain with this scheme but I couldn't take it anymore. My first celi was all black interior. I loved it but I can see why you don't laugh.gif

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Apr 9, 2013 - 2:03 AM) *
Oo those are sparco rims that are discontinued lucky

Close! haha They're OZ Chronos. Still discontinued though tongue.gif

--------------------
post Apr 9, 2013 - 1:38 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

Oh shoot haha thats what i meant its cause oz rally makes sparco wheels

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Apr 14, 2013 - 10:46 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Some shots from today! Damn I love Colorado!

Disclaimer: I am not a photographer haha

Sooo many things still left to do to my SpyroOscuro!

This post has been edited by Malek: Apr 15, 2013 - 3:59 PM

--------------------
post Apr 30, 2013 - 10:59 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Phase 2 Begins:

-17 gallon fuel cell
I had my eye on a few Fuel Safe and ATL cells but an RCi popped up on ebay for a good price and in the dimensions I wanted..so I went ahead and submitted a bid on it and I ended up winning.

-Subframe connectors
I have a few leads on the mounts. I do not want to measure and make my own if someone has already done all the R&D. Saves me time and money.

-E154F clutch
I got Clutchmasters to agree on warrantying my throwout bearing. They are known for sending the wrong one in their hybrid set for a 3sgte to S54 mate up. So TOB, alignment tool and FX350 disk are on their way.

-NonAWD specific
Seats/Carpet
New seat covers from Vincent should be done soon. Ordered the parts for aftermarket seat heaters with OEM switches. Pulled the carpet out to clean. Still very dirty and stained.

Brakes
Will be contacting my machine shop to see if they can grind down my GT4 rotors to 300mm.

Coilovers
Eyes on target: BC BR.

Alarm
I am still trying to figure out what aftermarket alarm/remote start system the previous owner had on the Celica. The RS3000 will not operate my door locks or arm/disarm the alarm. It will go into panic mode though if I hold down the button. Quite annoying.

A week from Thursday I will be dropping in the e154F woot.gif

This post has been edited by Malek: Apr 30, 2013 - 11:09 AM

--------------------
post Apr 30, 2013 - 1:31 PM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Subframe connectors
I have a few leads on the mounts. I do not want to measure and make my own if someone has already done all the R&D. Saves me time and money.

Just remove them from the OEM floor pan you got?!
tack weld drill out and then weld on your car.
post Apr 30, 2013 - 2:38 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (playr158 @ Apr 30, 2013 - 2:31 PM) *
Subframe connectors

Just remove them from the OEM floor pan you got?!
tack weld drill out and then weld on your car.

Because the GT4 floor pan is a good 4 inches taller (at least), if I use those mounts the subframe will be way low.

--------------------
post Apr 30, 2013 - 3:28 PM
+Quote Post
czwalga

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 27, '10
From pittsburgh
Currently Offline

In my opinion I wouldnt trust any mounts you buy from someone else. Jmeyer may be the only one to document his well enough, but I dont think he's selling them.

I'd build my own, knowing that the driveshaft angle and everything is installed to your liking. Also the wheel base will move foward about 1/2" if you use the GT4 arms.

--------------------
-93 Rx7, Turbo 6.1L v8, 725rwhp/760rwtq
-95 Celica GT Rally Car - 3sge/AWD
-10 F150

Always buying stock wheels... PM me if interested in selling.
post Apr 30, 2013 - 7:18 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Interesting...

I didn't know the arms were different lengths. Noted. Probably would've figured it out, eventually tongue.gif

But to be honest, I just want rough dimensions so I have somewhere to start. If someone made quality mounts, I'd pickup a set and probably end up modifying them to my liking anyway.

If not...I'll be making my own.

--------------------
post May 1, 2013 - 10:45 AM
+Quote Post
The_enD

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 12, '13
From Bulgaria
Currently Offline

Nice looking Celica, dude.

I'm sitting here, wondering, what's the weight on these wheels and wheel+tire?

--------------------
FS thread : Custom Celica parts made to order + more

Click the image to visit my FB page

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:51 AM