6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> bloodMoney's Project V.2 Codename: Lily, Let's try this again....
post May 19, 2014 - 9:45 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

It took 6 months of searching, but I finally found another 6g to replace my Abby....

She's a 96 GT 25th anniversary No. 0455. 128,xxx miles, Autofail, tan top.

There are a host of issues that need to be fixed, as with any new used car, but this is what I found so far:

Needs:
Driver's side axle
Driver's side wheel bearing
Poly bushings all around
Struts and springs
Fuel filler neck and gaskets
Wheels and Tires
Quarter Windows need adjusted
Door Cards
Deck lid leaks on the driver's side

There is some rust that needs to be addressed, but luckily it is still at the point where it can be fixed without too much trouble.

Once I get the steering/suspension fixed, I'll drive her like that for a bit to confirm that we're ok for daily duty, then we'll begin planning modifications.

I'll try and take more pictures as I get the opportunity. I'm just happy to be back in one. smile.gif

This post has been edited by bloodMoney: May 19, 2014 - 9:46 AM

--------------------
~bloodMoney
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
post May 19, 2014 - 12:07 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Glad to see you finally found another one! This thread is gonna be good.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post May 19, 2014 - 12:26 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

So that's like your hut in the backyard? It's pretty much a tent on wheels after all.

Keep the steelies, get some trim rings powder coated matte white, paint the wheels body color. PIMP. Like permanent white wall tires for cruising slow.

This post has been edited by Bitter: May 19, 2014 - 12:28 PM

--------------------
post May 19, 2014 - 12:44 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

paint it blurple and call it the buttloaf mobile? hahaha

looks like a good starter though. hopefully you can fix all those little things.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post May 19, 2014 - 1:00 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Stand by for upcoming junkyard runs! I'll let you know next time we head out to one of them. I can't wait to see what you turn this into thumbsup.gif :

--------------------
post May 19, 2014 - 1:21 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Thanks guys!

Luke, you and Noberto really upped the game as far as fix-as-find rust mitigation.... I need to keep up!

Plus, I'm always down for a junkyard run smile.gif

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 19, 2014 - 3:41 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

that car needs v6 in it...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 17, 2015 - 11:23 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

So any updates?

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 18, 2015 - 1:16 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Yea, I had forgotten about Chris's hut!

--------------------
post Jan 18, 2015 - 4:31 AM
+Quote Post
Edser

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 5, '12
From Barcelona
Currently Offline

Mmm that Celica is lovely. I hope to see some updates!

--------------------
post Feb 6, 2015 - 12:50 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Hi guys, I've been off the board for a while as I've been completely wiped out by work (the real job).

Okay, so for an update....

That's right. Nothing.

Lily has a caster issue on the front passenger side which I think was caused by an accident with the PO. I'm not sure if it is something simple like an E-W crossmember or bent control arm. I replaced the axles in the fall and it all came apart and went back together without issue, so I'm doubting this is the case. My fear is that she has a tweaked frame.

If I happen across the crossmembers/suspension for basically free, I'll swap them out and see.... But for now, she will continue to be a DD.

Stacy has changed my direction on which car to focus my attention on, and the wagon appears to have won out. We've blown the car budget for this year already in preparing the car for this upcoming season, so there is nothing left to modify Lily. Maintain/Fix; yes. Modify; no.

So, unless this turns into a Sydney (wagon) build thread, this thread will merely be boring maintenance posts...

Sorry to disappoint.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Feb 6, 2015 - 5:32 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Totally understandable. The wagon is certainly a more capable car. Keeping the 'vert as a DD and weekend cruiser makes more sense.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Feb 6, 2015 - 11:19 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

How much is the caster off by? When I dropped the 7th gen I was able to push my caster back in spec by forcing the subframe forward with a winch before torquing the bolts back down. There's some play in it against the body, the 6th gen is similar there to the 7th I'm sure. If it's not a big difference in caster between the sides you can slot the strut tower and lean the strut forward or backward to get the caster needed.

--------------------
post Feb 7, 2015 - 7:32 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

The caster is off on the bottom Jordan. So much so, that when I turn the wheel to full lock on the right, the wheel rubs the back of the wheel well. It's worn the liner through and shined up the steel real nice....

Now this ****er needs a rear hub because I screwed the threads up trying to get it out of the bearing without a press.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Feb 8, 2015 - 5:36 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Got it, that's a huge amount of caster not a little. Some crappy insurance or cheap shop probably just compensated with a ton of toe on that one side to make it track straight instead of fixing it right.

So, there's a few front frames on car-part.com at yards near you and all under $200. Even a few for GT's! I assume the vert and coupe use the same front subframe, search using engine cradle, I looked at 95 but all the 6G's are the same right?

Engine Cradle/Rear Crossmember
Toyota Celica Front,2.2L,MANUAL TRANS-182K 15% RESTOCKING FEE A JDS110806 $75 Shaw's Auto Salvage & Repair USA-WI(Warrens) Request_Quote 608-372-3164/800-471-9164

--------------------
post Feb 8, 2015 - 5:43 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

Kinda what Bitter said. If the caster is off that much the control arm and/ or ball joint would be my first choice, I would then lead towards the cradle. BUT if you were to get a alignment print out & post it up that way we could determine how far off all the numbers are.

I've seen bad caster #'s to were the control arm is ok but the strut might be bent and/ or twisted.
post Feb 8, 2015 - 8:07 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Cradle, control arm, ball joint, inner/outer tierod, and pair of new front struts with top mounts.

--------------------
post May 4, 2015 - 10:10 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

So, I should've just done the 5x114 conversion when I did the rear wheel bearings.... My driver's front wheel bearing gave up the ghost and toasted my front tire in the process. Now I'm waiting on new bearings for the front to get her back on the road.

I also ordered replacement brakes all the way around.

The bearings, coupled with the brakes, new struts/springs, and lower control arms; maybe I'll start enjoying driving this thing again.

I've also decided that I need a manual swap bad. I don't know how you guys with autos deal with it. I'm sooooo booooooored.

EDIT: HAVE SOME OTHER PICTURES.

This post has been edited by bloodMoney: May 4, 2015 - 10:13 AM

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post May 4, 2015 - 12:02 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

Well w/ an auto you can at least text & drive.
post May 4, 2015 - 2:09 PM
+Quote Post
Keiri

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '04
From Charlotte, NC
Currently Offline

I deal with the auto by just listening to good music and telling myself that I don't need a stick for the 3 mile commute I make.

biggrin.gif

--------------------
Has no more Celicas

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:04 PM