post Dec 10, 2011 - 10:43 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I definitely sold this car to the right person thumbsup.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Dec 10, 2011 - 10:47 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Superlight race car lol
so light you could cut out the floor an flintstone that thing

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Dec 13, 2011 - 12:12 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

worked 3 more hours on the car tonight. I have a question if anyone cares to answer it. Will any old 3 spoke airbag work on my jdm airbag harness? I looked for a long while online, ebay etc to try and get a picture of the plug, it looks like I might be ok. Push comes to shove I'd just splice the two wires together (I won't be arming the system with the control module due to availability of passenger side airbag in jdm dash in-case something happened) But I'd like to have everything looking as oem as possible. Thanks guys

So, here's a rough pic of what I have for an airbag plug

And here is how she sits now. Took out the entire wiring harness in the front of the car, took out the A/C, undid 85% of the brake booster, removed wipers and cowel, took off bumper and highs..... the results

close to being on or ahead of schedule i think....

dan - I believe that to be your shackle on the towing hook as well lol

This post has been edited by ricochet1490: Dec 13, 2011 - 12:12 AM

--------------------
post Dec 13, 2011 - 12:33 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Wow she's naked

--------------------
n
post Dec 13, 2011 - 9:11 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Lol that shackle... It's been there for a few years. I tried getting it off when I got the car, and promptly gave up. I'm sure enough PB Blaster or WD-40 could break it free, but you saw how I had the car parked by the little hill. I just gave up on it.

As for the airbag, I believe most Toyota airbags should work. I mean, we're always swapping 7th gen/Corolla/Rav4 airbags in our cars and those work. I think you might need to change the clock spring though.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Dec 15, 2011 - 11:13 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

Ok, so finished getting the brake booster out, took out the door panels, and took out the carpet.

However, there is still a mess of brake and fuel line in the bay frown.gif - didn't feel like getting greasy at 9pm on a thursday night

So because I didn't feel like getting greasy, I turned my attention to the clip. 100x easier to take the plastic off this thing than my car because of the auto climate control. It just unplugs! no cables in the dang way!

Found this little nugget in the glove box. Maybe I will hook up the airbags after all....

TIME FOR A POLL:

Keep my usdm suspension where I need not purchase anything.
OR
find a set of superstruts and some twin pot brakes.... for no other reason that to make this thing as legit ss3 as possible. You tell me, cause I have no idea....

--------------------
post Dec 15, 2011 - 11:22 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Lol at my sound insulation. If you keep it in the car, you'll have to let me know how well the Frost King works.

I say get on ToyoDIY and get some suspension part numbers and find out about how much they'll cost before you have to pay a third party to order and ship them for you. If the cost of repairs is reasonable to you, go SS suspension. If not, throw some coilovers on the car and have a blast.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Dec 16, 2011 - 12:36 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Coilovers over ss parts readily available for the stock suspension so you wont have to wait (or take chances) on parts from ebay or overseas

--------------------
n
post Dec 16, 2011 - 12:40 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

I should probably point out that this project car will NOT be a DD. It's going to be a garage car. Driven on weekends. The car that I can go cruising in when my future kids are driving me crazy. Something that will be taken care of and with any luck, not get any more than 3-5k miles a year.... under ANY circumstances. So with that little use, I'm not worried about suspension going bad really. It's just a hassle thing. pay for SS parts. OR spend time changing A arms, steering knuckles etc so that I can keep mcphearson.... decisions decisions.

--------------------
post Dec 16, 2011 - 1:32 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Still say stock with coilovers or drop springs to make her handle little better
maybe swap the ss onto the front an the the back the stock usdm

--------------------
n
post Dec 16, 2011 - 12:58 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

go through the supertrut suspension and read all 10 pages that's stickied in the suspension/handling/braking threads. then you'll be able to make your decision.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28093

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Dec 16, 2011 - 1:11 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 16, 2011 - 7:15 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

with all due respect, I don't need a lesson on SS. Been there and done that. Not looking to put SS in a lhd car or anything like that. I understand how the SS was "supposed" to be better, but was hardly used by even the racing toyota teams. I'm just trying to gain perspective and opinion on what I should do.

I'm leaning toward keeping the McPhearson suspension though. Unless I get a great deal on some SS and twin pot brakes...... I like my money too much. Not much on lowering either. Seems to me the celica is already pretty low.

idk though... decisions.

--------------------
post Dec 16, 2011 - 7:16 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

A bit off topic, but did you know your title is misspelled? It has 3S's (haha! 3S! get it?) in
"progression."

I say coilovers. The handling aspects will be superior to an OEM Superstrut setup, plus accidents happen and the coilovers can be repaired with parts available here in the States. Not to mention you can avoid the headache of a complete Superstrut swap, front and rear.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Dec 16, 2011 - 7:40 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Dec 16, 2011 - 8:16 PM) *
A bit off topic, but did you know your title is misspelled? It has 3S's (haha! 3S! get it?) in
"progression."

I say coilovers. The handling aspects will be superior to an OEM Superstrut setup, plus accidents happen and the coilovers can be repaired with parts available here in the States. Not to mention you can avoid the headache of a complete Superstrut swap, front and rear.

HAHA thanks - problem solved!!

I would keep stock suspension in the rear for sure. I don't want to deal with SS rears.
But the only headache of SS in the front would be the $$ for a set and the matching brakes.
otherwise I have some part swapping to do. Not a huge deal, but a few bolts for suspension and brakes is easier than everything else needed lol.

But you're prolly right Dan...

--------------------
post Dec 17, 2011 - 12:01 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

umm ya what racing toyota teams??? never have I seen a race ready SS-III or ZZT231 fwd celica.

you asked for our opinion so I gave you mine. Even the wrc gt4 acknowledged that the superstrut suspension made them go quicker on asphalt roads. As mentioned before its more of an upgrade with the fwd celica's. Look at the type r legend 4/6 video on youtube. guy driving in a ctr ek9 even compliments that the zzt231 SS-II celi has similar suspension characteristics. hence superstrut in front.

your exact words "You tell me, cause I have no idea...." i was just suggesting a thread. since you did say time for a poll

yes I agree coilovers(mcpherson) will be better than stock ss-III suspension. Rear suspension on a SS-III celica is the same on all N/A Celica's. Rear trailing arms with shocks absorber/spring. (independent multi-link suspension system) only difference on the ss-III is the spring rates are stiffer (so different part numbers)

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Dec 17, 2011 - 12:53 AM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 17, 2011 - 11:01 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

I guess I meant 'I have no idea' on what I'm going to do because it's either $$$ or time and work to make the car go forward.

I've read on forums and on here that one of the rally teams(gt4) only used it for two races or something like that and then went back... only repeating what I've read. I wasn't talking about race ready ss3, that doesn't make sense.

--------------------
post Dec 17, 2011 - 11:11 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

id do the ss swap up front if you already got the parts on the new clip

--------------------
n
post Dec 17, 2011 - 11:11 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

In other news, I put the JDM wiring harness in the car tonight. Complete chassis harness from dash to trunk. smile.gif

I have no suspension or brakes with the clip. Hence why I'm partially intersted in Richee3's stuff he just got. cause I have nothing with this thing

This post has been edited by ricochet1490: Dec 17, 2011 - 11:13 PM

--------------------
post Dec 18, 2011 - 2:11 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

tte rally teams went back to McPherson due to always having to replace the control arms in the superstrut suspension.

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: Dec 18, 2011 - 2:11 AM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Dec 21, 2011 - 9:36 PM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

6 hours of driving to visit 96stgreendemon .... a great price and a trunk full of jdm later.... and I'm a very happy dude!

What could it be???!!

--------------------

19 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:41 PM