Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Any ideas for this build?
post Oct 28, 2013 - 4:10 PM
+Quote Post
chris32880

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 25, '13
Currently Offline

Okay let me first start off by saying I do not know a lot I learn as I go. I own a 99 celica convertible gt 5sfe 5 spd. I want to do a build on it. I know the head sucks on the 5sfe... For bottom I have ideas for using the crankshaft the factory one and then some new rods and forged pistons to hold power, if that is possible what brands make them? As for cranks, pulleys, and what not should they be upgraded in a build? I want to turbo the car, oem parts are best, I know you do not want to go cheap and use the 2nd gen mr2 3sgte parts. Anyways gude performance made a head and intake manifold package, not many people bought them, 2 celica have them the other 3 mis shifted and tried blamming gude, the rpm with how the head builds is up to the 8,000. It comes with a new ecu, now if I could build the block and im on the right track with what I am saying im not sure if I am but if the bottom end can be built and the top end can be used with the head package, how would it be tuned with a turbo set up and could a turbo be put on afterwards? The head is a hole in your pocket, but with the idea I think it would be pretty fast. I heard to use camry 98 or above block for 5sfe because it can with hold a lot more, If I go the 3sgte route for a swap, would it be a good build as well? I want to push good hp say 300-500 max, I just want to make sure because I can turbo my 5sfe but I want to have my first build, I never rebuilt or built a engine but you do not learn unless you give it a try
post Oct 28, 2013 - 4:25 PM
+Quote Post
cardshark525

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 12, '09
From State College, PA
Currently Offline

Your safest way to go if you want 300-500 (I assume you mean at the wheels) would be to go ahead with a 3S swap. It's also probably going to be easier and in the end more cost effective than literally changing everything on the 5s so that it doesn't blow up once you push it past 350hp or so. There are a lot of build threads on here regarding both builds, and we all support people trying something new and different, but from my standpoint I would go with a 3S-GTE swap if your looking for 300-500hp in a turbo application. Everything is already purpose built to run boost anyway so you don't have to worry about a particilar part not being up to snuff with the added stress.

This post has been edited by cardshark525: Oct 28, 2013 - 4:26 PM
post Oct 28, 2013 - 5:26 PM
+Quote Post
chris32880

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 25, '13
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cardshark525 @ Oct 28, 2013 - 5:25 PM) *
Your safest way to go if you want 300-500 (I assume you mean at the wheels) would be to go ahead with a 3S swap. It's also probably going to be easier and in the end more cost effective than literally changing everything on the 5s so that it doesn't blow up once you push it past 350hp or so. There are a lot of build threads on here regarding both builds, and we all support people trying something new and different, but from my standpoint I would go with a 3S-GTE swap if your looking for 300-500hp in a turbo application. Everything is already purpose built to run boost anyway so you don't have to worry about a particilar part not being up to snuff with the added stress.

So for the swap can you swap a st205 3sgte or get the mr2 2 Gen 3sgte and swap, I know clips are better but I can buy the the engine? What parts would be missing and what can the 3sgte block stand before I blow anything all stock internals.
post Oct 28, 2013 - 10:30 PM
+Quote Post
Overkill

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '04
From Houston
Currently Offline

Chris - I suggest you research for yourself what you will need to do your swap. Ultimately the decision on which type of swap is yours. There is an abundance of information here on 6GC, and plenty of information elsewhere. I do not want you to think I am flaming you or being a d**k, but unless you have a specific question about something, I suggest you learn to use the search tool on the top right of the website.

As far as your questions go...

Yes, you can swap a st205 3sgte or an MR2 2nd gen 3sgte. There are also other models you can swap as well.
Buying a clip is the best route as it will come with more parts, however you can buy the engine.
As to what parts would be missing... that depends on what you buy.
The 3sgte is a strong motor, however if you push the parameters on the engine that exceed the manufacturer's spec, you are liable for any sort of mishap.

In summation, do your research... Weither it be on 6GC or another website, the questions you are asking have most likely already been asked and answered.
post Oct 29, 2013 - 1:25 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

you dont want an MR2 clip, yes same engine but all the mounts wil be different, no PS pump, the alternator is on the back side, and plenty of other issues. Do yourself a favor, if you get a clip, get an ST205

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Nov 2, 2013 - 2:57 AM
+Quote Post
mgnt232

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 16, '09
From New York
Currently Offline

Turboing is not an easy or cheap process. When its done correctly yes, you can have an amzing build. But its a hell of a lot easier to just plop in an already almost 300hp stock 3sgte.

3rd gen clip (st205) is the way to go. trust me i had to source quite a few parts (only bought the engine) and not only are the parts not so easy to find, they can get pricey.
And like he said the engine is designed to handle exactly what the manufacturer spent all that time, money, and research developing. Its one of those things "cheap, reliable, fast" pick two. If you want 500 whp you need to really commit (IMHO your looking like 10k at least).

--------------------
I've spilt my heart into this car :) And I don't ever plan to stop

- 6GC for Life -
>Semper Fi<

1994 Cupra :p 3sgte
1995 Celica ST DD
1969 Chevelle SS

alllll balls. P2 approved!
post Nov 4, 2013 - 1:46 AM
+Quote Post
bnr32celica

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '12
From 860, ct
Currently Offline

OK, here goes.

300whp leaves you with two options: 3VZ turbo or 3SGTE.
You also didn't mention if you need to maintain emissions compliance either. The only legal swap perse would be a 1MZ. All the others render the OBD2 port useless.

Contact your local authorities if you have questions regarding legality.

My 1MZ swap is the only swap that scans properly with the obd2 port for a state emissions test.
post Nov 4, 2013 - 5:16 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bnr32celica @ Nov 4, 2013 - 1:46 AM) *
OK, here goes.

300whp leaves you with two options: 3VZ turbo or 3SGTE.
You also didn't mention if you need to maintain emissions compliance either. The only legal swap perse would be a 1MZ. All the others render the OBD2 port useless.

Contact your local authorities if you have questions regarding legality.

My 1MZ swap is the only swap that scans properly with the obd2 port for a state emissions test.

3vz turbo? That's not factory and a stock 3vz has only 185hp. The 3mz-fe would be more toward 300whp, but still not exactly near it @ 225hp.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:18 PM