6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> GUIDE: How to get your car to calendar..., seems there are really rules good to follow :)
post Oct 19, 2009 - 7:20 AM
+Quote Post
Romy_GT-S

Enthusiast

Joined Sep 10, '09
From Austria - Steinbach
Currently Offline

Hey Alexys, you are absolutely right!
If we are honest, it's always the same.
A proverb means “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder”. Some people like a picture, others do not. This is quite normal and cannot be generalized.
post Oct 19, 2009 - 7:32 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Alexys @ Oct 19, 2009 - 7:30 AM) *
Hey, I'm really sorry for submitting a pic showing the back of my car and additionally turned the wheels in the wrong direction.

I didn’t want to bother someone with it (Tigawoods…). wink.gif
I only have noticed that most of the pics in the previous calendar show the front of the cars.

So I wanted to distinguish my pic a little bit from the rest.
Too bad that some people doesn't see it the way I do. biggrin.gif
Nevertheless, several people voted for my pic and I have just a few friends here in the forum, who voted for me. So there must be a couple of people here who liked this pic and wanted to have it on the calendar too.

lol its a habit of mine. people dont usually know to do that when i take pics of their cars.
i agree on your decision to take a pic from the back. love the exhaust setup btw.

I was trying to get my auto-x picture in the thread but i couldnt find the org. size.

unique shots like that would be a breath of fresh air in the calendar. Along with swap pictures. Rally-X pictures ( there is that one member in CA) and Track Racing pictures (lucky europe ppl)

that kind of stuff would really spice up the calendar.

thats a hint for next years calendar. get to working ppl! i can already tell next years will be epic

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Oct 19, 2009 - 11:33 AM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Oct 19, 2009 - 12:04 AM) *
QUOTE (Supersprynt @ Oct 18, 2009 - 11:35 PM) *
Resolution doesn't = quality picture though.

I meant pixel count to be considered as well, since my phone camera is only 3MP.

But we'll have to agree to disagree.

Same thing. The more megapixels a camera has allows it for higher resolution. This is where a lot of people get duped when buying a camera, they think MORE megapixels is def. going to make their picture better. While yes the quality increases dramatically in 1 vs. 2, or 3 vs. 6, it becomes very much less so when you get higher. You won't notice a 10mp vs 12, or a 12 vs 14. Keep that in mind when purchasing a new camera one day.

But yes we'll agree to disagree. No need to go any further with it.

Keep shooting everybody.

--------------------
post Oct 19, 2009 - 5:21 PM
+Quote Post
GriffGirl

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 7, '07
From Portland, Oregon
Currently Offline

I love this thread! There's a LOT of really good points in here that you guys have made, and a lot of great info for people to use for future calendar shots. (I wish this thread was up 3 months ago!)

I think one really good debate in here is the point of "quality vs. quantity" in terms of picture quality vs. actual car quality. Personally and professionally, it's my vision to be able to strike a balance between both in the cases where they can't both be had at once. I saw some shots, one which will be in the calendar, that were really great looking, dynamic photos of stock (looking?) 6GCs. I really appreciate this, personally, because in person most of what I see is stock, and it's what initially attracted me to 6GCs in the first place. I also appreciate the "classic" quality of a well-kept, well photographed stock ride. I wouldn't want to see the calendar all stock or even predominantly stock, but it's nice to see one or two in there.

And yes, as for the "popularity contest" - it's there, to a degree, and I'm sure most of us can see it. It's why I kept the photos small-ish and as unidentifiable as possible in terms of who they belong to. I wanted people to respond to what jumped out at them first - before thinking about whose car it was, or how modded it was, or whatever. Of course it's impossible to completely do that, but I tried. tongue.gif The ultimate goal here is to produce the highest quality calendar that represents us as a whole.

That said, I think it's going to be a great looking calendar this year, with better resolution photos than some from last year. I've also dedicated 100% of the photo pages to the photos, and have moved the member info and stats down to the top of the calendar grid page. I've freshened up the fonts, and included a month-ahead and month-behind grid on each page too, so you don't have to flip pages if you need to see those months.

Expect to see the FS thread with a front and back cover sample in the next day or two. biggrin.gif And thanks to all of you for your contributions, whether through photos, voicing your opinions, or just quietly voting. It's what makes this a 6GC community calendar, and not just a celica calendar.

--------------------
post Jan 27, 2012 - 3:32 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Bumping this thread. Lots of good pointers here, too much good info to let this thread be forgotten. I'm dying to go do a photoshoot of the BEAMS, and I'll have this thread in mind.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jan 27, 2012 - 3:40 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

forgot about this. good bump!

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Feb 1, 2012 - 11:58 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Promasta @ Oct 17, 2009 - 5:28 PM) *
i did take rim angle into consideration, i was showing off my sweet tires haha.

[Forthcoming late response is late.]

Cool idea. As a suggestion, wipe the tire down next time so it becomes more attractive? Then your idea can achieve proper execution.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Feb 20, 2012 - 11:23 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

bump

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Apr 6, 2012 - 2:33 AM
+Quote Post
malpaso

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 3, '06
From Czech Republic (Europe)
Currently Offline

wow... I have started this topic mainly as ironic piece of text to show what people prefer to see HERE on this forum so how to success in local votes... Reason was because I was so disappointed to see how great pictures stay unnoticed and literary "run-of-the-mill-snaps" winning. This should not be guide how to make great car picture! What I wrote in first post is far from truth how great car picture should look like! If you really want to make great picture see "small" correction comments below:

QUOTE (malpaso @ Oct 17, 2009 - 7:51 AM) *
- Do not make picture from rear or top view!
No one cares to see you car from behind. Car from behind is boring... and from the top looks weird. Make only pictures of front!

Nonsense. Of course! You should provide different point of view than ordinary one is. Not always just to find the most sexy angle to shoot. To show something different is not anything wrong at all.

- Play with picture in photoshop.
This is a must. More colors, more contrast! If you have some good idea how tune picture with some idea the better. Remember it must be obvious picture is nor realistic. It must look better than reality.

This is sad to say true. We do not live in perfect world and to make great picture is so hard so more or less picture need to be "balanced" or "tuned" (call it how you want). If you had chance to prepare composition, light and background exactly you wish, have a lot of time to shoot PLUS know how to work with your camera wink.gif you may have picture that do not need photoshop.

- No one cares if you have OEM look.
OEM look is not an issue at all! Car must look good. No matter what mods are on...

Another nonsense wink.gif. Composition makes great picture not any tuning of the car in the picture.

- No one cares in front of what is your car standing
Finding interesting scene for picture is waste of time. No one cares if you car is behind jet plane or some statue or anything. Cool background is not important at all. It's not wrong just needless.

Another nonsense and big one. Background always matters!

- Make sure car is covering whole picture.
Small car in the middle of nowhere is not "true blue" (BTW. is there any US slang phrase for the same meaning as OZ English has???). So car should not be past of scenery and should cover whole picture (or at least from 2/3).

There always been "rule of thirds" and it is valid all the time! Only question you need to answer: WHAT IS THE SUBJECT OF YOUR PICTURE! Do you make picture of the car or picture of "something" with the car? What should take main attention in the picture? Car or another subject? That is the key wink.gif.

- When picture made by professional even better!
Professional photographer is not professional for fun. He/She knows! And knows better than you do...

True to the letter...

- Nothing mentioned above works when you do not have friends to vote for you

hell of a true biggrin.gif

--------------------
No more replicas... This is evolution... This is SS-four :)

________[Featured Celica of 6gc.net @ 2010]_________

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:40 AM