> Stagg Struts, *Update* Installed
post Feb 18, 2012 - 1:26 PM
+Quote Post
smkr3w

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 29, '10
From Lake Havasu City, AZ
Currently Offline

So I was trolling eBay yesterday and came across Stagg Struts.

Did a little bit of research here and nothing came up. Googled them and found some information. There were already reviews from a handful of other car models/makes (BMW, Mazda, etc..) It seems as this company has it merits, some negative points as expected. For the most part the general consensus is that they're not bad for what you pay, but if mistreated they might blow. One particular reviewer stated his front right shock blew. That was after navigating a road that had construction at the foundation level, hit a bump and got around "6 inches" of air and it blew when it landed. That was also while going 45mph (note: this users friend with KYB struts also blew on this same road).

Some of you might be asking why not save up and get coilovers? After thinking hard about it, I don't plan on truly slamming it nor do I think I'll be changing my mind and raising my ride height. The roads here in Arizona, well at least in my city aren't sh**y, and I don't plan on auto-xing nor do I plan on taking it off any sweet jumps. Just using it as a casual DD, and costing only $160 shipped I figured why the hell not.

From reviews I've heard Stagg offers a LIFETIME warranty within 1.5 drop (like KYB), cant confirm 'tho. I will be dropping with Megan springs which I understand is about a 1.5-2 inch drop, I'm probably pushing it but we'll see.

I'll keep this page updated as receive, install and "test" them with my daily routine of driving to and from work/stores.
..And yes I will be here immediately following the blowing of any of the struts laugh.gif

This post has been edited by smkr3w: Feb 29, 2012 - 10:55 PM

--------------------

6gcHeroes:808hectortimmybatmandiegotigamak
post Feb 19, 2012 - 8:50 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

My understanding is that they're like the KYB GR-2.

http://circlepad.com/STAGG/Warranty Not a very well written warranty.

--------------------
post Feb 20, 2012 - 1:02 AM
+Quote Post
808celica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 24, '07
From Oahu, Hawaii
Currently Offline

probably rebadged kybs just dont tell them you're dropped wink.gif if its one thing i learned from working in a parts store its how you claim your warranty laugh.gif

--------------------
I don't normally drive fast, but when I do its on a curvy section of this island
post Feb 25, 2012 - 5:40 AM
+Quote Post
smkr3w

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 29, '10
Currently Offline

Got my struts in today!

Quick review based on first impression:
-Packaging was average, plain brown shipping box, inside were branded boxes. There were holes in the inner boxing from parts of the struts pushing thru during shipping. The struts/shocks themselves are perfect appearance wise.
-Dark grey, with logo stickers as well as imprinted brand and serial/product numbers.

Pretty basic, no bells or whistles. Next week theyll be installed and aligned and will post some picks and review them further.

Will post pics tomorrow..

--------------------

post Feb 29, 2012 - 4:50 PM
+Quote Post
smkr3w

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 29, '10
Currently Offline

Installed the rears last night. Didn't do the fronts because I'm a ruh-tard... And had mistaken the Stagg rears for the fronts (FAIL) and thought I recieved the wrong parts so kept the stock strut with Megan springs up front. They might blow, we'll see.

When I pulled the rears out I nearly facepalmed rolleyes.gif when I saw that the Staggs were identical and I was an idiot. Anyway put them on and let it down. Buttoned her all up and she's sitting pretty. Quick drive around the neighborhood and she was like a Cadillac biggrin.gif

'Tho to be completely honest, my stock rears were toast.. when we undid the top mounts the rod part of the strut quickly receded into the cylinder.. no wonder my previous ride comfort sucked the big one laugh.gif

Going to have to wait till next week to see what I can do about the fronts.

And a quick pic..

--------------------

post Mar 20, 2012 - 6:58 AM
+Quote Post
Miguel1930

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 21, '12
From Belgium
Currently Offline

So how are they? can you give a little feedback about the riding comfort with the Stagg Struts, is it good comfort?

They have a nice look to them, it looks like you installed it properly.
Is it a lot of work installing them and is it difficult?

I'm new on the site and i'm looking to put new struts and springs to upgrade my riding confort.
I want to do as much as possible modifications myself, but i'm still a beginner.

if i should buy the Stagg struts what springs are recommended? and how much drop?
I don't want my celica to be too low, just a little lower than original is fine for me.

Toyota's don't die they just get Faster
post Mar 20, 2012 - 6:52 PM
+Quote Post
bruiseboy2

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 1, '12
From New York
Currently Offline

just put these struts on my 95 gt. They ride like stock, but for their price they are pretty solid. Only complaint is that the mounting bracket for the brake line on the drive side was a little off and caused the line to be very taunt. Ended up heating it up a little bit and bending it over and it is slightly better. For a $140.00 bucks for all 4 shocks though I give them a thumbs up.
post Mar 20, 2012 - 8:09 PM
+Quote Post
WhipCreamCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 1, '12
From The Colony, TX
Currently Offline

Asom, i was looking at these on ebay, because, i have megan racing springs, but got coilover sleeves (stupid mistake) and put them on my stock struts, and all 4 of them are blown, so really horrible ride, my front struts bottom out over any little bump, so i think im going to go with these staggs, and put my megan racings back on, thanks for the thread!
post Mar 20, 2012 - 9:40 PM
+Quote Post
smkr3w

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 29, '10
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Miguel1930 @ Mar 20, 2012 - 7:58 AM) *
So how are they? can you give a little feedback about the riding comfort with the Stagg Struts, is it good comfort?

They have a nice look to them, it looks like you installed it properly.
Is it a lot of work installing them and is it difficult?

if i should buy the Stagg struts what springs are recommended? and how much drop?
I don't want my celica to be too low, just a little lower than original is fine for me.

Woops totally spaced and forgot i put this thread up.. So far I only have the fronts installed, I'm a little lost with the fronts as they're a cartridge style, lol.

Its not that difficult to install, having a buddy to help out works best. Also theres a thread in the stickies that has some good info about swapping 'em out.

So for FEEDBACK (rears only) I am very satisfied thumbsup.gif
Firm yet smooth, seem to hold well with the megan springs

Any springs will be fine really, its all your preference.. I went with megans because of the drop amount. To review the megans I'll say they are perfect for me, not too bouncy.

Overall I'd recommend Stagg Struts for those who are one a tight budget and want to update their setups biggrin.gif

--------------------

post Mar 28, 2012 - 3:33 PM
+Quote Post
smkr3w

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 29, '10
Currently Offline

Took these awhile ago, finally got around to posting

Pics of Unboxing

As it came in the mail

Stagg packaging inside shipping box

fresh out of box

stagg stamp on rear strut

holes in packaging from shipping,

*notice these struts are made in china... lol*

Update #2
I got the front struts installed last week also, so far so good, enjoying them thus far.

So for a cheap alternative to OEM/KYB, it works.

This post has been edited by smkr3w: Mar 28, 2012 - 3:35 PM

--------------------

post Mar 28, 2012 - 11:36 PM
+Quote Post
Galcobar

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '05
From Richmond, B.C.
Currently Offline

Don't forget to get a four-wheel alignment, it's a requirement after replacing your struts.
post Apr 13, 2012 - 4:12 AM
+Quote Post
Miguel1930

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 21, '12
From Belgium
Currently Offline

Thanks for the feedback and photos, Now i'm sure that i will buy these too and install them myself.
I'm planning to put on Megan Racing Springs.
Spec:
- Color: Orange
- Lower rate: 2" Front, 1.75-2" Rear
- Springs rate: 300F & 250R

So these will have no problem fitting the struts, and with my 17inch weels there will be no rubbing issues or anything?
i'm still not too experienced with this stuff.

I will let you know when i bought them and when i installed them, if i should run into some problems i'm sure you guys can give me good advice if needed.

Good to know about the four-wheel alignment.

Toyota's don't die they just get Faster

post Apr 13, 2012 - 5:27 AM
+Quote Post
smkr3w

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 29, '10
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Miguel1930 @ Apr 13, 2012 - 4:12 AM) *
Thanks for the feedback and photos, Now i'm sure that i will buy these too and install them myself.
I'm planning to put on Megan Racing Springs.

So these will have no problem fitting the struts, and with my 17inch weels there will be no rubbing issues or anything?
i'm still not too experienced with this stuff.

I will let you know when i bought them and when i installed them, if i should run into some problems i'm sure you guys can give me good advice if needed.

Good to know about the four-wheel alignment.

nice, I will say having a friend help out makes it so much more easier..

when i first dropped it my rear camber was very negative, so i'd advise camber bolts (i got mine off of rock auto)
I drove around for almost a month without an alignment, NOT RECOMMENDED, however I did very little driving and was not negatively affected.

now i'm aligned and have much less camber.. remember though that there will still be a little bit (im now at about -2.5 on both in the rears)

as for rubbing issues i have the same setup and my rears are rubbing slightly on bigger bumps in the road or turning sharply, rolling the fenders will fix that but that will soon come

*TIP* when removing the OEM struts/springs be careful of the bearings in the top mount (i lost a ball from the bearing)
*TIP #2* when re-installing the top mount to the new struts you may have to use vise grips (or similar) to hold the cylinder still while tightening the top bolt (here a friend comes in handy)

--------------------

post Apr 13, 2012 - 8:55 AM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

Toe wears tires much faster than camber.
Some camber wear is okay, but if your toe is out, you gotta getit fixed asap

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post Apr 15, 2012 - 10:15 AM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

yea toe is like dragging your feet sideways.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
|Work|Greddy|Samco|Project Mu|H&R|Gates|Moog|Rota|Yokohama|Epman|1320|Upgr8
04 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tein|BC Racing|Greddy|

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Apr 16, 2012 - 2:04 AM
+Quote Post
smkr3w

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 29, '10
Currently Offline

yeah i had that argument with my roommate when i was lowering.

he insisted that my camber would make me need new tires by the end of the year. i kept telling him toe kills faster than camber.. but all is aligned so argument no longer applies here

--------------------

post Apr 16, 2012 - 12:31 PM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

Camber does wear tires, just not nearly as fast as toe.
And not as bad as toe either

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post Apr 18, 2012 - 2:27 AM
+Quote Post
6gcer

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '12
From SoCal
Currently Offline

Great read on these struts. I'm contemplating on getting these.
post Apr 19, 2012 - 9:07 AM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

Do the rears already come serviceable? They seem really different from all other designs.

--------------------
1993 Celica GT Coupe - sold
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Apr 19, 2012 - 2:08 PM
+Quote Post
smkr3w

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 29, '10
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Apr 19, 2012 - 10:07 AM) *
Do the rears already come serviceable? They seem really different from all other designs.

Not sure what you mean, but the rears are direct replacement.
The fronts are rebuildable (cartridge type)

--------------------

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:07 AM