6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 362 363 364 365 366 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Jun 23, 2020 - 10:50 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Hopefully it's of some help. smile.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 23, 2020 - 7:40 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jun 23, 2020 - 10:50 AM) *
Hopefully it's of some help. smile.gif

Hopefully, I go back at it this weekend or something. Just had a big-ass dinner, my 3 day head-ache is gone finally, I don't feel like doing anything stressful or tiring tonight so no brake figuring out and taking a day off from the Celica paint correction work as well, I'll resume tomorrow evening.

--------------------
post Jun 24, 2020 - 6:58 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Finally remembered to look at the drip channel on the passenger side, the sealer is cracked which is the source of the small water leak on the rear 1/4 glass. Ordered a new drip channel trim so I can yank that one out, caulk over the cracking with windo-weld and if need be chip away some loose parts, and install the new one. Got my new bottle of touch up paint so I can go around and touch up spots from the past year or two I've neglected so it's a little less ****ty looking. Progress! I need to do the driver side sealer too but it's not leaking so I'll see how this side goes first to decide if I want to fix the driver side now or wait to see if it ever leaks.

--------------------
post Jul 3, 2020 - 11:52 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

So in the near future Box and I are gonna get a 1980-82 C3 corvette.

I want to do a swap that will make people mad. Originally I thought rotary was the way to go, but now I'm thinking honda K20A2/K24A7/F20C or a subaru EZ30 H6 mated to a RWD 6MT of sorts and boosted to the moon. I think an RX8/S2000 trans or a FRS/BRZ trans would be best for transferring power to the rear wheels, but a TR6060/T56 Swap might be a better choice for holding power. I'd like to do a Turbo setup if we go Honda, but the H6 Def gets a big twin screw.

-Lorelei

This post has been edited by Box: Jul 3, 2020 - 11:53 AM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 3, 2020 - 4:16 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Having worked on C4 and C3 vettes my best advice is NO. Every suspension bushing will be rotted to **** and cause all kinds of wonky handling and honestly they're not the most pleasant to drive cars to start with, the C4 being A LOT better than a C3 though. I'd highly suggest moving up a gen to the C4, it's got WAY more parts support and parts are generally easier to get and cheaper than a C3 plus the stock sawblades are wide enough to mount tires big enough to handle whatever you're doing with it and the brakes (when working correctly) aren't terrible. They're a little more straight forward to work on than the C3 in my opinion, or at least they feel like they're built more like a modern vehicle where as the C3 feels like a hack job between old and new.

--------------------
post Jul 3, 2020 - 7:10 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 3, 2020 - 4:16 PM) *
Having worked on C4 and C3 vettes my best advice is NO. Every suspension bushing will be rotted to **** and cause all kinds of wonky handling and honestly they're not the most pleasant to drive cars to start with, the C4 being A LOT better than a C3 though. I'd highly suggest moving up a gen to the C4, it's got WAY more parts support and parts are generally easier to get and cheaper than a C3 plus the stock sawblades are wide enough to mount tires big enough to handle whatever you're doing with it and the brakes (when working correctly) aren't terrible. They're a little more straight forward to work on than the C3 in my opinion, or at least they feel like they're built more like a modern vehicle where as the C3 feels like a hack job between old and new.

The only reason I'd pick the C3 over the C4 is because of looks. Box would look at a C4 to mess arouind with, but I can't say that it would make as many people mad as doing a bastardization swap with a C3. However, Early C4 vettes made absolute dick for power, so I can see where starting there would be an upgrade.

I'll have to get her to see if she can see out of it.

-Lorelei.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 3, 2020 - 7:20 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

It is with great elation that I can say I sold the Miata today.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jul 3, 2020 - 7:47 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

My seat covers shipped.
I put the Windo-Weld down the drip channel seam on the Celica and a drop of touch up paint on a chip on the side of the uhhh C(?) pillar along the drip channel. Even with the garage closed and opened to the house and the AC on in the house it's warm in the garage so that's all I did today with it. Tomorrow I can try to finish up polishing it and get the drip channel trim installed. I'll use the old trim to figure out how to get the driver side trim to match the new one with magic chemicals or mechanical scuffing.

Get the C4, stock for stock it's suspension is WAY better. The C3's suspension basically carried over from the C2 and is based on mid 1950's technology and engineering. You can put a lot of money into C3 suspension and have something better than the C4, but if you put that same work into a C4 the rewards are much greater since you're starting somewhere better. Also I feel like the C4 engine bay is a little roomier to work in the than the C3. Once you take the wheels off a C4 you're basically standing 2 inches from the engine if you're skinny enough to fit in the wheel well. It honestly makes working on them kind of nice compared to leaning on fenders. Interior wise, the C4 is yes 80's boxy playskool cheese but they're solid cars. The C3's I've worked on....the interior was...not aging well but looked nice. Comfort wise they're pretty equal but the C4 has more shoulder room and a lot more head room, but getting your legs over and into the 'bath tub' that is the C4 can be tiring over and over.

--------------------
post Jul 3, 2020 - 9:46 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Jul 3, 2020 - 7:20 PM) *

Sounds like you sold it and got a good price for it.

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 3, 2020 - 7:47 PM) *
Get the C4, stock for stock it's suspension is WAY better. The C3's suspension basically carried over from the C2 and is based on mid 1950's technology and engineering. You can put a lot of money into C3 suspension and have something better than the C4, but if you put that same work into a C4 the rewards are much greater since you're starting somewhere better. Also I feel like the C4 engine bay is a little roomier to work in the than the C3. Once you take the wheels off a C4 you're basically standing 2 inches from the engine if you're skinny enough to fit in the wheel well. It honestly makes working on them kind of nice compared to leaning on fenders. Interior wise, the C4 is yes 80's boxy playskool cheese but they're solid cars. The C3's I've worked on....the interior was...not aging well but looked nice. Comfort wise they're pretty equal but the C4 has more shoulder room and a lot more head room, but getting your legs over and into the 'bath tub' that is the C4 can be tiring over and over.

I'm trying to build a drag car, but the benefit of using a corvette is that the possibility of making it handle if I want it to.

I wonder what other cars can fit a SVX EG33 H6 in them.
-Lorelei.

This post has been edited by Box: Jul 3, 2020 - 10:10 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 4, 2020 - 8:52 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

It seems like you're trying to make this a lot more difficult and expensive than it needs to be. Why not go big and put a Toyota GZ in it?

--------------------
post Jul 4, 2020 - 9:24 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's some ways into the future, so plenty of time to figure it out; though I suppose the C4 aesthetic goes better with bastardization, and I don't think I could deprive a C3 of having a V8.

Anyhow the current priority is figuring out a safe, reliable, practical, and remotely fun daily driver for us to get to work etc...

~Casey

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 4, 2020 - 9:33 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I have a good friend in San Fran that absolutely LOVES his Lexus CT200h with the TRD sports suspension package. Good gas mileage and somewhat sporty, big enough to carry crap around, typical nice but functional Lexus interior and ya know Toyota reliability. It's like a sporty wagon Prius with more pep and a better CVT, awesome daily driver compliment to his MR2 Spyder.

--------------------
post Jul 4, 2020 - 9:35 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 4, 2020 - 8:52 AM) *
It seems like you're trying to make this a lot more difficult and expensive than it needs to be. Why not go big and put a Toyota GZ in it?

Sounds about right.

I just say Miata or RX for project, but eh.

~Casey

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 4, 2020 - 9:48 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

There's a nice looking Super White Celica GTS for sale kind of near me up here, 130,000 miles asking $7500 looks pretty clean and sounds like it's in good shape. I'm whoring it around because it needs a good home, I don't actually know the people who are selling it. I just browse what Celica's are selling to see what mine ought to be worth in the real world vs what KBB says it's worth on paper. Good news, it's gone UP since I bought it 11 years ago!

--------------------
post Jul 4, 2020 - 11:15 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 4, 2020 - 9:48 AM) *
There's a nice looking Super White Celica GTS for sale kind of near me up here, 130,000 miles asking $7500 looks pretty clean and sounds like it's in good shape. I'm whoring it around because it needs a good home, I don't actually know the people who are selling it. I just browse what Celica's are selling to see what mine ought to be worth in the real world vs what KBB says it's worth on paper. Good news, it's gone UP since I bought it 11 years ago!

Maybe if it had half the miles or was half the price.

That's ok, if going FWD I'd lean towards a Civic Si.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 4, 2020 - 12:09 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

130,000 aint **** on a 7th gen GTS. Grandpa Celica had almost 250,000 when he sold his and 180,000 when he drove down to DDPR in Texas and got his intake manifold and tune for 190whp on 91 octane.

--------------------
post Jul 4, 2020 - 2:54 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Jul 3, 2020 - 7:20 PM) *

Yeah. 1 down... many more to go
post Jul 4, 2020 - 5:13 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 4, 2020 - 12:09 PM) *
130,000 aint **** on a 7th gen GTS. Grandpa Celica had almost 250,000 when he sold his and 180,000 when he drove down to DDPR in Texas and got his intake manifold and tune for 190whp on 91 octane.

Yes, but it's too much for the mileage is what I was saying. I've seen too many with similar mileage for $4-5K.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 4, 2020 - 6:15 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 4, 2020 - 5:13 PM) *

Yes, but it's too much for the mileage is what I was saying. I've seen too many with similar mileage for $4-5K.

For one that clean it's really not a high price, especially one owner no salt well taken care of. The ones I see in the $4-5K range are much much much rougher ridden hard and put away wet kind of cars. And it comes with all the OEM parts they took off? Sweet deal! The $4-5K ones are 3rd and 4th owner, you're lucky if it's still got a spare tire by that time in the cars life and 100% the fuel door has fallen off 2 owners ago.

--------------------
post Jul 4, 2020 - 6:58 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 4, 2020 - 6:15 PM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Jul 4, 2020 - 5:13 PM) *

For one that clean it's really not a high price, especially one owner no salt well taken care of. The ones I see in the $4-5K range are much much much rougher ridden hard and put away wet kind of cars. And it comes with all the OEM parts they took off? Sweet deal! The $4-5K ones are 3rd and 4th owner, you're lucky if it's still got a spare tire by that time in the cars life and 100% the fuel door has fallen off 2 owners ago.

I suppose it's regional then; there was a nice and stock black on black 6-speed with 120K for $5K, that was a 2 owner car, not that long ago locally.

That's ok, someone talked me into a Si over it anyway.

This post has been edited by Box: Jul 4, 2020 - 6:59 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

400 Pages V  « < 362 363 364 365 366 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 9:49 AM