celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Rjb23 @ Jun 13, 2005 - 1:10 PM)
have you tried the st185 back mount?
[right][snapback]298486[/snapback][/right]

Yes the st185, and mr2 rear motor mount bolt to the tranny, but both interfere with the insulator on the crossmember. If the st185 or mr2 crossmember will bolt to my car then it will work.
post Jun 13, 2005 - 11:07 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

I think you can use the st185 cross member, when I was talking to the guy at xat about doing the e153 tranny he said something about it.
post Jun 14, 2005 - 12:28 AM
+Quote Post
Consynx

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 25, '02
From Pittsburgh/Clairton, PA
Currently Offline

we're getting many different combos, this is a summary of what i've read so far.

here, i'll try to sum it all up, up until here:
-For Axles it's looking like Camry(91)/GT4 Outers and MR2(match yr w/ tranny) inners
-For Mounts, stock GT will work for front and rear, just need driver's mount from GT4
-For Shifter Linkage - GT4
-For Shift Cables - GT/GT4

this is just a summary.

--------------------
post Jun 14, 2005 - 1:30 AM
+Quote Post
Defgeph

Joined Apr 17, '03
From Rockland NY
Currently Offline

you have to specify which generations of gt4's
6th gen gt cables are different from st205 cables. st205 cables are different from st185 cables. st185 cables are also different from 6th gen GT's

DEF

--------------------

I will return one day.
post Jun 14, 2005 - 1:43 AM
+Quote Post
Defgeph

Joined Apr 17, '03
From Rockland NY
Currently Offline

user posted image
GT And ST205 side by side. GT is the top one

--------------------

I will return one day.
post Jun 14, 2005 - 11:47 AM
+Quote Post
Consynx

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 25, '02
Currently Offline

i remember this pic, which is why i am...waiting for it all the be 100% clear

--------------------
post Jun 14, 2005 - 6:07 PM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

Those cables in the top pic(which are GT cables) will not work unless the horseshoe clip is modified to be thicker. Even then, I don't think they will work. You can see the 1/4" gap between where the clip locks the cable in place and the back part. I put the gt cables in place with the e153 tranny, put the clips in that hold them in place, and there was so much slack that the cables wouldn't stay on the tranny. Is that a good explanation? I will circle the part which is different and then you can see the gap.

user posted image
post Jun 15, 2005 - 6:43 PM
+Quote Post
sphinx

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 10, '03
From South Central Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Consynx @ Jun 13, 2005 - 9:28 PM)
we're getting many different combos, this is a summary of what i've read so far.

here, i'll try to sum it all up, up until here:
-For Axles it's looking like Camry(91)/GT4 Outers and MR2(match yr w/ tranny) inners
-For Mounts, stock GT will work for front and rear, just need driver's mount from GT4
-For Shifter Linkage - GT4
-For Shift Cables - GT/GT4

this is just a summary.
[right][snapback]298797[/snapback][/right]

Let me just correct this a little bit.

Axels:

Inner shaft = MR2 Turbo (Match year of axel with year of tranny)
Outer shaft = 91 Camry V6 OR 91-93 All Trac

Mounts:

94-99 GT-Four mounts and brackets (front, rear, and driver side)
6th gen front mount ( be advised that with this front mount installed, we can't get the rear mount to line up, no matter if it's a all trac or mr2 mount)

Comments: I think the problem that people are having is that they are using different mounts for every side. Not all mounts are the same, and not all motor mount brackets are the same. For example, if you had all All Trac mounts but GT brackets, they will bolt up together BUT will not bold up to the crossmember becuase the bracket throws it off by an inch or half and inch. All of these things were problems i didn't want to face when i did my swap. That's why I decided to get all GT-Four mounts and brackets. I know that this setup works for a fact. If someone else has a diffrent setup, please post it. This way we can know what does work and what we can't seem to get to work. just my 2 cents.

Shift linkage and shifter cables are the same thing.

QUOTE(celica3sgte @ Jun 14, 2005 - 3:07 PM)
Those cables in the top pic(which are GT cables) will not work unless the horseshoe clip is modified to be thicker. Even then, I don't think they will work.  You can see the 1/4" gap between where the clip locks the cable in place and the back part. I put the gt cables in place with the e153 tranny, put the clips in that hold them in place, and there was so much slack that the cables wouldn't stay on the tranny.  Is that a good explanation?  I will circle the part which is different and then you can see the gap.

user posted image
[right][snapback]299143[/snapback][/right]

Also, if you notice on the picture, the GT cables are a bit longer than that of a 94-99 GT-Four. I wasn't aware of the fact that the GT cables wouldn't be able to be cliped onto the MR2 tranny. I had talked to a guy at El Prototype before hand and he said that they could be used, but the problem was that once the GT cables are installed, they're so long that when shifting into 1st, 3rd, and 5th, the shifter get's too close to the consol where the sigarette lighter is at and you'll hit your hand all the time. Therefore, he advised me to use the GT-Fout cables because they're a little shorter and i wouldn't have to go through that problem. Just a thought.

This post has been edited by sphinx: Jun 15, 2005 - 6:48 PM
post Jun 15, 2005 - 8:38 PM
+Quote Post
Rjb23

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '04
From KY
Currently Offline

I would seriously suggest that someone call up xat racing in tampa and ask them about the mounts. I'm almost positive that they use the st185 cross member and they use custom mounts.
post Jun 15, 2005 - 10:44 PM
+Quote Post
jgreening

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '04
From Illinois
Currently Offline

QUOTE(sphinx @ Jun 15, 2005 - 6:43 PM)
Also, if you notice on the picture, the GT cables are a bit longer than that of a 94-99 GT-Four. I wasn't aware of the fact that the GT cables wouldn't be able to be cliped onto the MR2 tranny. I had talked to a guy at El Prototype before hand and he said that they could be used, but the problem was that once the GT cables are installed, they're so long that when shifting into 1st, 3rd, and 5th, the shifter get's too close to the consol where the sigarette lighter is at and you'll hit your hand all the time. Therefore, he advised me to use the GT-Fout cables because they're a little shorter and i wouldn't have to go through that problem. Just a thought.
[right][snapback]299635[/snapback][/right]

I am using GT cables and they work without hitting my hand. I have had shifting issues though I am almost positive that they are related to the alltrac shift actuator not matching the year of my MR2T. I will report back when I have the correct actuator installed (should be next week).

--------------------
QUOTE(lagos @ Jul 10, 2006 - 1:55 PM) [snapback]454118[/snapback]

i know your trying to do the right thing for your motor, but this is one of those times where you should just trust the guys who have had their swaps for a while and have done a ton of research into this.
post Jun 15, 2005 - 11:09 PM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

I'll ask XAT when I get back into tampa next tuesday. They said to use the mounts that spinx said, I never asked about the crossmember. I think I'm having issues b/c of my passenger mount that I'm using. I think that it offsets my motor.

These are both 1994 GT mounts
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
user posted image
post Jun 18, 2005 - 11:18 PM
+Quote Post
ems3s

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 17, '05
From Melbourne, Australia
Currently Offline

I just tried using the st185 crossmember and it in no way will bolt up with the east-west suspension crossmember or the front radiator support on the st204 GT. I also tried using the 185 mount (insulator) on the 204 crossmember but it won't fit in anyway on the rear.
So that rules that out.

I have been asking all workshops here in Australia and have found that the north-south crossmember is the same on both the st204 and st205. The st204 and st205 (same) being different from the st185 and st184 crossmembers.

I believe the easiest way to fit the e153 is to use all st205 mounts, to avoid confusion.

NOTE
*The RH engine mount is the same on all the st20# series

#The rear engine mount (insulator and bracket) and LH engine mount (insulator) are specific to the st205.

This post has been edited by ems3s: Jun 25, 2005 - 12:53 AM
post Jun 20, 2005 - 10:38 AM
+Quote Post
sphinx

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 10, '03
From South Central Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE(ems3s @ Jun 18, 2005 - 8:18 PM)

I believe the easiest way to fit the e153 is to use all st205 mounts, to avoid confusion.

NOTE
*The front and RH engine mounts are the same on all the st20# series 

#The rear engine mount (insulator) and LH engine mount (insulator) are specific to the st205, the brackets must also be too.

[right][snapback]301124[/snapback][/right]

That would be my best advice at this point. Go with ST205 mounts and brackets for the swap. You can't go wrong.
post Jun 20, 2005 - 11:14 AM
+Quote Post
Consynx

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 25, '02
Currently Offline

so 204 are same as 205, but our 202 is different? why god, why?!?!?!

(just seeking clarification)

--------------------
post Jun 21, 2005 - 7:37 AM
+Quote Post
ems3s

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 17, '05
From Melbourne, Australia
Currently Offline

Not sure if you really mean st202 because that was a JDM RHD only 6th gen
I terms of engine mounts, st204 and st202 use the same tranny and mounts.

All st20#'s have the same north-south cross member, only difference being with the suspension cross member having differences due to four wheel steering and superstrut suspension with each model spec.

Basically in summary

Mounts
RH Side= Any St200 series
Left Side= St205 bracket# and Insulator
Rear= St205 bracket and insulator
Front= st205 bracket and any st200 series insulator

#note bracket is no longer available in Australia perhaps worldwide. I'll try to use/modify the mr2 bracket i already have.

Axles= St185 outer shafts w/ mr2 inner shafts w/ matching splines. The half shaft with carrier from mr2 is also required

If using an Mr2 e153 specific year does not necesarily mean certain diameter spline. Also note that the circlip on the end is also a variable. It can either be 5mm or 12mm from the end.
It is very important to get the driveshafts that go with the tranny at the same time to make sure you are getting the correct shafts.

Shift cables
Any St200 series cables can be modified to be clip to the tranny and the cables work perfectly once secured.

Please correct me if I am wrong as I am about to pull my hair out trying to figure out a working combo.

This post has been edited by ems3s: Jun 23, 2005 - 2:37 AM
post Jun 21, 2005 - 10:39 AM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

Wow I havent seen this much GOOD information in a long time, someone sticky this and rename it E153 Tranny install in ST204 or something.

I'm putting in a E153 and I have St185 & St204 shifter cables, I think im going to try both to see what works best. What displeases me is this ST205 engine mounts being needed, thats expensive stuff.

Jeff where did you get yours?

This post has been edited by Supersprynt: Jun 21, 2005 - 10:40 AM

--------------------
post Jun 21, 2005 - 10:53 AM
+Quote Post
Consynx

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 25, '02
Currently Offline

he got his from a guy on here a while back parting out a st205, got the crap real cheap because no1 else thought we needed that ish...

--------------------
post Jun 21, 2005 - 10:56 AM
+Quote Post
Supersprynt

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 10, '03
From Connecticut
Currently Offline

Yeah I seen them go for $500 some places, that really busts by bubble maybe I'll just do some welding.

--------------------
post Jun 29, 2005 - 5:08 AM
+Quote Post
celica3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Columbus, Ohio
Currently Offline

Supersprint you can say that again, this is good info and rare to the forum. I think I'm going to link it or pull info from this to put on the celicatech forum.
post Jun 29, 2005 - 12:32 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

if somone types up a nice post that has all the info in one place, and puts it in the 6th gen cection of celicatech, i wll stickie it over there for u. just try to make a nice big post with pics and all the info needed.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 18th, 2024 - 10:06 PM