6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> st185 3sgte swap into 3 door 98 celica. help please!
post Apr 24, 2016 - 8:25 PM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

I started a 3sgte swap into my 98 celica just a few days ago. Everything has been going well so far, engine is in on 3 mounts ( fourth is poly filled drying currently) The problem I'm currently having iis being massively overwhelmed by the wiring. The harness was still on the engine when I bought it. Between coolant lines, vacuum lines and connectors I don't know where to start. I spent all day scouring through other forums and posts and haven't find anything as helpful as I'd like. 6 hours today looking at my engine bay and maybe two connectors plugged in. Any help or advice would be much appreciated
post Apr 25, 2016 - 8:18 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

i need more information, what version 3S-GTE?

there are threads in the stickies and my thread is full of wiring information

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Apr 25, 2016 - 9:27 AM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Apr 25, 2016 - 8:18 AM) *
i need more information, what version 3S-GTE?

there are threads in the stickies and my thread is full of wiring information

It is an st185. My only concern is wiring harness doesn't seem to be lining up. My coil and igniter end up centering on the firewall but all pictures I've seen they should be mounted near/above the brake booster
post Apr 25, 2016 - 11:02 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The ST185 harness will not work in a T20 Celica. You'll need to have it converted for a 6th gen.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 25, 2016 - 11:31 AM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

As far as conversion, do you mean convert the current harness or work it together with the 22 pin for the third ECU plug?
post Apr 25, 2016 - 12:11 PM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Apr 25, 2016 - 11:02 AM) *
The ST185 harness will not work in a T20 Celica. You'll need to have it converted for a 6th gen.

Found a thread on exactly this problem sorry for the repeat post guys
post Apr 25, 2016 - 12:28 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Check out the stickies, there's a ton of great info there including a thread on swapping the 2nd gen 3S into our 6th gens.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77843

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Apr 25, 2016 - 12:51 PM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Apr 25, 2016 - 12:28 PM) *
Check out the stickies, there's a ton of great info there including a thread on swapping the 2nd gen 3S into our 6th gens.

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=77843

I will have to spend more time in those threads. The wiring struggle has become a large one. I'm fine doing the work just figuring out what I need and what I don't out of two harnesses then combining them is. Interesting ha
post Apr 25, 2016 - 8:49 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Apr 25, 2016 - 8:54 PM
post Apr 25, 2016 - 9:12 PM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

Nee question however has come up. The 21 and 22 pin connector on the 3sgte ecu are +B and +B2 respectively. The 5sfe 22 pin connector I'm attempting to repin has a +B on pin 22. But no +B1 listed. How do I repin this?
post Apr 26, 2016 - 12:32 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

from experience, wiring is easy if you take your time and read and understand.

if you know how to read a map, you can read electrical wiring. You have to understand what a relay does, and how to mate the two harnesses together.

in my experience, what i did is I used microsoft paint, and created a massive wiring diagram, that i printed on several pages.

i combined the engine wiring into my celica wiring, and from there it was simple. it took me weeks to develop this wiring. Yes its for the 2Gr, no its not available.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Apr 26, 2016 - 12:41 AM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

Sounds good. That's what steps I started tonight. I separated my 22 pin from the 5s harness and will plug it in and then follow it to both 3s harness and 5s harness to see which connector I will have to pull next. Longest part currently is finding the needed wiring diagrams. The labeling and marking for harness separation can be a pain but isn't near as time consuming. There are benefits and downsides to having the engine with the harness already attached. I didn't realize how much wiring there would be with the second gen or I would've pulled the harness before dropping the engine in.
post Apr 26, 2016 - 11:44 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Cant stress enough to label each wire

Oh and test for continuity. Last thing you want is to have a broken wire. And not knowing where it is

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Apr 26, 2016 - 3:58 PM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Apr 26, 2016 - 11:44 AM) *
Cant stress enough to label each wire

Oh and test for continuity. Last thing you want is to have a broken wire. And not knowing where it is

I have a flow chart setup with labeling. When I pulled the 22 pin from 5s harness didn't disconnect anything. I'm just going through 1 connector at a time
post Apr 26, 2016 - 6:22 PM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

I now have a non wiring question. I do appreciate the help so far guys even with how generic my questions have been. With the engine I got an st185 top mount intercooler. I don't have the external water pump or the sub radiator, is there anything else I need for that setup? And in addition to that my plan was to find universal sub radiator and pump because the stock ones are either very hard to find or they break my budget. The only sub radiators I can find are actually fmic. They aren't just radiators but I was wondering if I can still mount one to the front and run the coolant lines to my top mount? I assume I'll also need a reservoir for the system.
post Apr 26, 2016 - 6:27 PM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

Also in theory is it possible to temporarily run the engine without the intercooler? Just pipe the manifold to the turbo?
post Apr 27, 2016 - 3:31 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

You have an Air 2 Air intercooler, unless it's an RC engine, in which that case it has the Water 2 Air intercooler
post Apr 27, 2016 - 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
98celi

Enthusiast

Joined Apr 24, '16
From Colorado
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Apr 27, 2016 - 3:31 PM) *
You have an Air 2 Air intercooler, unless it's an RC engine, in which that case it has the Water 2 Air intercooler

It's water to air. That's why I was curious about it.
post May 2, 2016 - 6:39 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

you can wire an external pump...

--------------------

post May 3, 2016 - 8:08 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

When i did the 3S swap in Amy's car, I made my own relay setup and used the FC signal as the trigger. so if the fuel pump is on, then the intercooler pump is on. It was really easy to setup.

when I was building V6 swap harness' I took the entire harness apart. then re-pinned each wire. i made sure i had enough length and my color codes were correct.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:20 AM