> Accelerator Pedal feels low
post Oct 10, 2019 - 7:50 PM
+Quote Post
MSKapcala

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 29, '18
From Jersey
Currently Offline

How low does the accelerator pedal sit compared to your brake and clutch? On my 97GT the brake and clutch are basically level, but the gas pedal sits lower (closer to the floor). Is that normal? I feel like it wasn’t this low before but since having the accelerator cable replaced, I feel like it’s lower. I haven’t had the car in a few months so I don’t know if it’s just my mind or what.
post Oct 10, 2019 - 10:52 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Most all cars are like that, all that I can think of anyway. So long as you have full range of throttle travel and can heel toe/toe heel I wouldn't worry about it.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 11, 2019 - 7:59 AM
+Quote Post
MSKapcala

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 29, '18
From Jersey
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 10, 2019 - 11:52 PM) *
Most all cars are like that, all that I can think of anyway. So long as you have full range of throttle travel and can heel toe/toe heel I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks. Problem is, my pedal hits floor mat regularly. I think I’m going to get new mats so there is a cutout where the gas pedal is. Heel to toe is a stretch and I have size 12 shoe. It’s like 2” lower than brake pedal measuring at center of pedals. I feel like an inch higher would be ideal...
post Oct 11, 2019 - 8:42 AM
+Quote Post
MSKapcala

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 29, '18
From Jersey
Currently Offline

Are the pedals adjustable by any chance? I'm going to look for some new floor mats that have a cutout for the gas pedal for more range of motion, but that won't help the distance between the gas and brake pedals..
post Oct 18, 2019 - 2:10 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

going from a st non abs to a 99 celica gt abs. i notice the brake pedal high was more close to acc pedal high on GT

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Oct 18, 2019 - 4:12 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

It's been 5 years for me so I can remember exactly with the Celica, but the accelerator going to the floor and touching the carpet isn't an oddity in general. I don't think the pedals are adjustable in any way, except for the clutch master rod that goes to the pedal if you want to count that. Ehh... You can heat up the pedal arm and bend it slightly if you know what you're doing, otherwise maybe look into some kind of cover/spacer just for the accelerator.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 19, 2019 - 11:19 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Check the throttle cable adjustment at the throttle cable bracket at the throttle body. Over time the cable does stretch so you may find that the throttle isn't hitting 100% opening with the pedal fully down. You want to adjust the cable so that there's some slack in the cable between the bracket and throttle, about 2mm up/down in the cable before it starts to open the throttle when you push down or pull up on the exposed section. You need 2 either 12mm or 14mm wrenches to make the adjustment, the throttle MUST be able to fully close when you're done and it's wise to clean it before making adjustments to cable tension so there's no issues with it sticking/binding/not returning fully when you're done.

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:12 PM