> ST205 Total Rebuild, Something a bit different
post Dec 16, 2013 - 8:33 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Nial @ Dec 16, 2013 - 5:37 PM) *
It is a POR paint yes. Sick of it. It runs no matter how thinly you apply it. I know it's under the car and no one will see it, but I would know and it would annoy me constantly. Frustrated.

I know the feeling. All that prep work only to have it messed up in the end. I think it suffices to say that POR wont be getting my money again. Stay strong and seriously consider blasting. Once you blast there really is no other alternative haha

--------------------
post Dec 17, 2013 - 1:17 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Dec 16, 2013 - 8:33 PM) *
QUOTE (Nial @ Dec 16, 2013 - 5:37 PM) *
It is a POR paint yes. Sick of it. It runs no matter how thinly you apply it. I know it's under the car and no one will see it, but I would know and it would annoy me constantly. Frustrated.

I know the feeling. All that prep work only to have it messed up in the end. I think it suffices to say that POR wont be getting my money again. Stay strong and seriously consider blasting. Once you blast there really is no other alternative haha

POR won't be getting any of my money either, rustbuster is pretty good, but my favourite so far is a paint from the US called eastwood, nice to apply, forgiving, a nice finish, a bit on the pricey side, but considering the amount that POR has cost me!!

Today will be spent pricing up air compressors and finding out just how feasible it is to sand blast in the garage.

--------------------
My Facebook GT4 Build page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GT4Rebuild
post Dec 28, 2013 - 11:25 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Well, a bit of work today, decided to refurbish a set of spare brake Calipers I had, they are in mint condition so didnt need much fettling, I took them to bits, removed all the seals etc, the bolts will be sent away to get zinc plated.

The callipers were painted with Eastwood chassis black extreme, a beautiful paint that goes on very nicely and has a great finish.

and a hint as to what the finished callipers will look like

This post has been edited by Nial: Aug 16, 2014 - 2:19 AM

--------------------
post Dec 28, 2013 - 11:45 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

keep up the good work!!! This is what I want to do to my Supra

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Mar 23, 2014 - 12:44 PM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Well after getting over a rather mild winter, i have ventured back into the garage.

I have finally stripped my pride and joy down to a bare shel and it has been shipped off to the great B road in the sky.

After saying goodbye to it I have been trying to find space for all the parts I now have, the garage is full to the brim with car parts, plus I had to buy a small wooden shed to store more stuff in....so the garage is a bit of a mess.

i manged to clear myself a small patch of surface to resume work on.

First off was the clutch master cylinder, i know its only small and probably not of much interest but its a step in the right direction. I could have done with sending the shaft away to get zinc plated as I am not happy with its finish, but i guess as it will never be seen it will have to do.

I have replaced the insides with a brand new piston and seals. Painted the body black and cleaned up the reservoir.

Then i made a start on the brake master cylinder and vacuum cylinder. it was a bit rusty so after a soak in Bilt Hamber Deox C rust remover and a quick wire brushing I have primered it and this is where I could do with your help.......

Baring in mind everything in the car will be either black, silver or the colour of the car, what colour shall i paint the vacuum housing? as i want to paint the cylinder black to match the clutch master cylinder I was thinking about painting it the same colour as the car so that there is a bit of contrast...or should I go with standard black?

Currently primered and waiting for me to make my mind up....excuse the mess.

coming to the US in a couple of weeks for a few weeks, any car meets in florida from the 6th april? Going to Disney for my honeymoon smile.gif

cheers all

Nial

This post has been edited by Nial: Mar 23, 2014 - 1:29 PM

--------------------
post Mar 23, 2014 - 1:13 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

I would personally go black because it will look the most sophisticated and original and your car is going to be MINT! I am a bit boring like that though, and a bit of colour might spice things up... so I'm no help I guess tongue.gif

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post Mar 30, 2014 - 1:26 PM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

So, i went with black, looks ok. Will contrast well against the silver of all the braided hoses.

Another box of bits (mostly bolts) arrived back from the electroplaters.

should be fun trying to remember where all the bolts go...i give myself about an 80% chance of getting it wrong smile.gif

I also managed a few smaller jobs, put the ignitor assembly back together along with the nice shiny dipstick holed, wiper motor which i finally managed to get the bolts for, and the steering shaft gaiter.

it should look nice on the bulkhead

Nearly got the front driveshafts finished, just need to locate a replacement vibration damper for the right side drive shaft.

The brake stopper polished up well

front hubs also came back from the electroplaters.

A box of parts ready to be sent off to the electroplaters when i get back rom Florida

still nothing of much substance really, just all little jobs that make the big jobs easier.

A few weeks of nothing now while I go on my honeymoon smile.gif

should be big progress when I get back as i will be putting the suspension back on etc smile.gif

--------------------
post May 14, 2014 - 10:34 AM
+Quote Post
Langing

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '14
From Durham, NC, USA
Currently Offline

Nial, reading about your Celica build is like reading a 'pot boiler' or 'page turner'; I had to read the whole thing from beginning to end without stopping! I offer a sincere congratulations on your work, and your wedding.

You have inspired me sir, although I stand on the shore of the lake dipping my toes into the icy cold waters you seem to be thriving in, I am afraid to make the jump. I started working on my 94 ST Coupe (1.8L) over a month ago by saying to myself it was only fair to give her a completely all-new or rebuilt brake system since she was fast approaching her 20th birthday, and that would keep her safe, and then changed out the rear wheel bearings "while I was at it.' Once started, it is hard to stop, because I keep seeing more things that need to be done. I think I'm being bit by the bug in a more 'bottom up' fashion, in comparison with your 'top down' all out attack.

Most of your description makes sense to me, and I feel I kind of understand how much effort you have put into the job, since it is so well written and photo documented. If you don't mind, I would like to ask a silly question, however. You sent a lot of hardware, many nuts, bolts, etc. to the electroplater's to get them zinc plated. I am wondering if that is an expensive proposition? I don't see many shops that do that here in NC and wonder if there are many in the UK.
post May 18, 2014 - 9:55 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Well got a bunch of tstuff back from the zinc platers and got a few more things back together.

The brake and clutch pedals refurbished and ready to be refitted

I took the power steering pump apart, there's quite a few bits inside that all decide they want to head in many different directions when you open the thing up.

And the tensioner for the alternator belt

The next task is building a new dolly to help transport the shell around as it doesn't fit on a car transporter with the current dolly, time to break out the welder again.

--------------------
post May 18, 2014 - 9:14 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

such an awesome build...

How much do you think you have spent already?

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post May 19, 2014 - 12:25 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

I dread to think how much I have spent.....probably edging towards £10,000 if you include tools, mistakes and building the little extension. I recon it's going to cost me about another £20,000 to finish it all..but that's everything, tools, consumables, paint, engine fuel etc.

--------------------
post May 20, 2014 - 8:25 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

stick with it man, its going to be worth it when its all done

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post May 20, 2014 - 11:52 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

I hope so, the number of things to do seems endless, every day something new crops up. The next task is making a transport device for the shell that doubles as a rotisserie. That's going to be fun, better dust off the welder, break out the design hat and order some steel.

--------------------
post May 23, 2014 - 12:55 PM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

It's about time I had a new rotisserie, so I have made this one to be very strong, to be able to rotate the car, obviously, but also to enable it to be transported it's wheel width will match that of a car transporter ramps, it's adjustable in both length and height biggrin.gif a step up from the wooden supports I was using :lol:

Should finish it tomorrow thumbsup.gif

--------------------
post Jun 20, 2014 - 10:44 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Sent the shell away for Media blasting at last, and it's done.

Along with a super tough primer/undercoat....not the final colour, but quite a nice colour, not sure if it would suit a celica or not.....think I will stick with me original colour biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Nial: Jun 20, 2014 - 12:37 PM

--------------------
post Jun 20, 2014 - 3:04 PM
+Quote Post
Langing

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '14
From Durham, NC, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Nial @ Jun 20, 2014 - 11:44 AM) *
Sent the shell away for Media blasting at last, and it's done.

Along with a super tough primer/undercoat....not the final colour, but quite a nice colour, not sure if it would suit a celica or not.....think I will stick with me original colour biggrin.gif

That shot was taken at the place that did your blasting?

Nial, I'm interested in getting more information about your designs for your rotisseries, both of them. Basic idea is clear. Could you show close up detail about how it is made and how you bolted the shell to it?
post Jun 20, 2014 - 3:36 PM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Langing @ Jun 20, 2014 - 4:04 PM) *
That shot was taken at the place that did your blasting?

Nial, I'm interested in getting more information about your designs for your rotisseries, both of them. Basic idea is clear. Could you show close up detail about how it is made and how you bolted the shell to it?

Yes that picture was taken at the unit John uses to do the blast cleaning, it's just a shed on an old farm.

I get the car back home tomorrow so I will take some pictures of the rotisserie for you. The old wooden rotisserie has been cut up now and utilised for something else but I will see if I can dig out some old pictures.

The rear of the rotisserie I used an old rear bumper crash bar, welded some steel and a pivot to it, the front bit of the rotisserie that holds the car is just 2inch box section welded together.

--------------------
post Jun 20, 2014 - 3:42 PM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

This s one of the wooden supports kinda three quarters built

You can see the use of the box section to hold the shell at the bumper support points, with the bumper supports removed obviously.

I reused this part on the second metal rotisserie.

--------------------
post Jun 20, 2014 - 5:28 PM
+Quote Post
Langing

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '14
From Durham, NC, USA
Currently Offline

To set my reference: The last two photos show the vehicle first looking from the front and second looking from the rear?

The first photo shows the open end of a rectangular cross section frame member where a bumper support has already been removed (lower left, with plastic bottle beneath, with two bolts protruding at the left)), and when you bolted the box section steel cross member of the rotisserie to the vehicle, you bolted it at those two bumper support positions?

I've never taken a bumper off, so I got out my BGB. Exactly two pages of drawings and that's it! For the front I believe I can see the bumper supports. On the back I see three points where an "upper retainer" ties in, and I see a "lower back finish center panel," and after that is a strong steel "reinforcement" bar. I'm guessing that's what you call the "crash bar?"

Beyond that are the energy absorbers which are covered by the "bumper covers"?

I'm looking forward to some more detailed photos. It is interesting to see what you did.
"

post Jun 21, 2014 - 12:55 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Langing @ Jun 20, 2014 - 6:28 PM) *
The first photo shows the open end of a rectangular cross section frame member where a bumper support has already been removed (lower left, with plastic bottle beneath, with two bolts protruding at the left)), and when you bolted the box section steel cross member of the rotisserie to the vehicle, you bolted it at those two bumper support positions?

That is correct yes smile.gif

QUOTE (Langing @ Jun 20, 2014 - 6:28 PM) *
To set my reference: The last two photos show the vehicle first looking from the front and second looking from the rear?

No, both the last photos are the front of the car. The rear is a bit more complicated as the bumper/crash bar is set lower down so it would make the pivot point too low, it will be clear with photos but slightly more fabrication is needed.

Excuse the crappy welding but it was the first thing I ever welded in my life.

--------------------

22 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 7:46 AM