post Mar 17, 2015 - 7:52 PM
+Quote Post
HaysoosKreesto

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 4, '09
From Sacramento, California
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Mar 11, 2015 - 5:13 PM) *
Well I've come to the terms that this car isn't something to be half-a$$ed. If you all have been following Nial's thread for his restoration, I'm going to be following a very similar path.
You may ask why, and I'm telling you right now, it's because I've always wanted to fully restore a car and I just happen to end up with this one.

By summer's end, I'm hoping to have the car fully disassembled, paint stripped, seam sealed, rust removed, completely undercoated, and hopefully in primer. At the very least, it'll be down to a shell.

thumbsup.gif
These are exciting words

--------------------
Brand new 6gc owner! (sort of 2011)

The world is moving around a sun, the sun moves around a local arm of the galaxy, the local arm of the galaxy moves around a gigantic black hole.
post Mar 17, 2015 - 8:24 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

At least you're in a better place to start than I am with mine. Good luck.

This post has been edited by cheela: Mar 17, 2015 - 8:25 PM

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Mar 18, 2015 - 9:51 AM
+Quote Post
Culpable04

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '06
From New Jersey
Currently Offline

that's a really nice ST185, congrats

the aftermarket hoodlatch while overkill for a stock hood, they are really nice, I have them on my hood ( Carbon Fiber hood ) I think you can get key replacements too, but have to order them through your Aerocatch dealer ( assuming they are real Aerocatch ones )

Aerocatch

MA distribuitor

--------------------

post Jun 3, 2015 - 11:20 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Thanks guys, I appreciate it! I'm going to get new aftermarket latches for it. I doubt it'll fly off, but #becauseracecar laugh.gif

Once I sell off most of the parts from my 6gc at the CSP meet, and other stuff on the forum, I'm going to be picking up another ST165 from the guy I got this one from. It'll be around July when I get it. Has a blown engine, no turbo or exhaust so basically a rolling shell. At that point I'll be deciding on which one I'm going to keep and which I'm going to sell.

With the one I have, there's some minor front end damage. It's just the radiator support, but still sort of sucks because things won't line up perfectly. Also, some minor surface rust developing in the rockers from the quarter window seals being gone mad.gif I'm not sure how that is on the other car, probably the same, so either way I might have to cut them out, clean them up and weld them back in.

The thing about this shell is that it has poly bushings, ST205 drivetrain, drives and everything. If I keep this one, then I'll be putting swapping out the interior from the one I buy because it's black. Black > blue. Then I'll end up selling the other one as a rolling shell, without wheels cause I'm keep the GTS ones smile.gif . If no one buys it, highly unlikely, then I'll be cutting it up for spare parts because these are really rare and I need as much as I can get.

post Jul 14, 2015 - 3:55 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Got the other one last week, came with some goodies as well smile.gif

GTS wheels, whiteline rear sway bar and endlinks, Gen3 W/A cooler, Momo steering wheel, and literally just so much more stuff.
I'll get some more pictures of stuff as I start to tear it apart.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 13, 2015 - 9:05 PM
post Jul 14, 2015 - 4:41 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Camo tie-strap holding the liftback down? tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 14, 2015 - 4:47 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 14, 2015 - 5:41 PM) *
Camo tie-strap holding the liftback down? tongue.gif

Cheapest set at home depot that they had in stock.
There was an orange set, but didn't have the ratchet part included for some reason?
post Jul 14, 2015 - 5:01 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Whatever helps you sleep at night. tongue.gif

That's ok I'm more concerned with figuring out the red car at the moment.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 18, 2015 - 9:42 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Interior went from this:

To this:

Just couldn't stand the blue, especially on a blue car. It's just too much and I think it breaks it up nicely.
The carpet will be black as well, just need to get it cleaned.

Well I should say that everything will be coming back out once it's in, just need to see what I have with the black pieces and what of the blue needs to become black. I will be spray all the plastic panels over to freshen it all up since the black is a bit faded. That'll be way down the road though.

First things first, need to get the other car disassembled. You'll probably think I'm running a chop shop by the time I'm done with it.
I'll post pictures, but I'm getting about 5 or 6 spot welder cutting tools from harbor freight to get some experience on the parts car wink.gif
Then once that thing is apart, I'll start taking off some of the panels on the project car. I need to so that I can tackle the rust inside the quarter panels and the rockers. Hopefully that'll be it, but I'll find out as I go along.

It's looking like a Nial build, but I'm not going down to getting all the bolts and stuff zinc plated. Trying to keep costs to a minimum laugh.gif
I'll keep posting updates as I strip down the other car.
post Jul 18, 2015 - 10:06 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Wooo!!!! Yeah, blue and red interior weren't a good idea in the 50's and 60's much less any time past then... Grey or black is my preference. Oh yes, let us not forget puke green interior...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 19, 2015 - 11:20 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Can add 'stripper' to your resume.

--------------------
post Jul 22, 2015 - 10:01 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jul 20, 2015 - 12:20 AM) *
Can add 'stripper' to your resume.

I probably should wink.gif

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 13, 2015 - 9:02 PM
post Oct 16, 2015 - 9:48 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Hey! So it's been a while...

This is what eventually happened to the parts car. Would have loved to cut the whole thing apart and save all of it if... Only if I had my own place.. kindasad.gif

Haven't done a whole bunch with it lately cause my daily has been a priority.
I think I finally addressed my semi overheating issue. The thermostat seemed corroded (right one) when I took it out, the turbo coolant return line had a lot of FIPG clogging it up as well as that line had a nice dent in it so both of those really restricted the coolant to pass through it.

Didn't have a gasket for the outlet so I had to put FIPG back on there, but more carefully this time so it doesn't clog it.
Hopefully getting everything back together in the next week to see how it does after replacing these parts.

I also went to figure out the aftermarket temperature gauge wiring and realized they had it wired to a temp switch and not a temp sensor, at least that's what I believe. So I wired it into the temp sensor that the stock gauge gets signal from, as well as found out that the oil pressure wire was plugged into the temp sensor and nothing was plugged into the oil pressure sensor (Found the temperature wire when I was digging around). That would explain why the oil pressure gauge would always max out when warmed up and why the temp gauge never worked. Hopefully, that is all fixed now. We shall see smile.gif

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Nov 13, 2015 - 9:03 PM
post Oct 20, 2015 - 8:13 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Going to be taking the car out for a drive tomorrow to see how everything is holding up and to find out if my issues are solved.
Got distracted from doing school work today and ended up putting the front end back together. I've had it apart for more than half a year so it's nice to have it back together.
Now to put the side extension back on and the lower grille between the fog lights.

This post has been edited by mkernz22: Oct 20, 2015 - 8:14 PM
post Oct 28, 2015 - 10:29 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Skirts are back on.

Almost fixed the coolant issue, well the overheating is gone now so the new t-stat must have done it.
Steam was coming from under the W2A cooler, took that off and found the coolant line for the throttle body was leaking because the clamp wasn't fully tightened... mad.gif
Put some heat deflection tape under the W2A while I was at it.
Then, I just have to use Teflon tape on the radiator drain plug because the FIPG melted away and caused it to slightly leak again. Easy fix though.

Otherwise, she's doing pretty good and pulling nicely. At a steady 12psi for now.
http://vid156.photobucket.com/albums/t13/m...zpscfvx002a.mp4
post Oct 29, 2015 - 3:41 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Just in time for Winter shenanigans. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 29, 2015 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 29, 2015 - 4:41 AM) *
Just in time for Winter shenanigans. tongue.gif

She's not really going to be outside that much. Maybe a few times at night during some snow storms hooning around the neighborhood, but otherwise she'll be in the garage.
Probably going to start going through the interior wiring over the winter and pulling out a lot of the systems that I won't be using, like the ABS, W2A pump (on it's own switch), A/C (debating), and some of the audio stuff.
post Dec 4, 2015 - 2:27 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Purchased some JDM post face side vents for her. Was looking for some preface black ones, but the lines will match up better since I have post face tails smile.gif

Picture as an example
post Jan 19, 2016 - 12:32 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

So vents should be here today and I also bought a euro plate holder cause it was cheap.

Still having an issue with the coolant system cause it likes to boil and you can really hear it once the car is turned off. At this point I believe it's the radiator so I will be replacing it with an OEM one that I have. At the same time, I'll be wrapping the DP this winter, removing the A/C components, wiring the OEM fan and an aftermarket fan to run full time since I don't believe the oem one is kicking in at all. Will be getting hood spacers as well as new aero lock thingies for the hood. Last, but not least, I will hopefully get around to changing out the radiator support and welding the good one in there.

Other than that, I may change out the BOV to one of the Blitz ones I have to make sure it works.
Resealing the PS quarter window, hatch, and possibly the windshield.
Come the spring, I'll start doing over the seam seals on the interior.

Pictures to come as I get stuff done.
post Jan 25, 2016 - 1:20 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

Finally got my hands on one of these. So hard to find...
And I also bought one, about a month or two ago, that came off a Corolla that says "toyota alltrac", but doesn't fit properly on the front grille.

Stupid shenanigans laugh.gif

Next thing I'm getting is an underbrace for the front.
Will be swapping the radiator out this week, or today.

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 9:03 AM