> Building a diypnp, Standalone harness wiring
post Nov 25, 2015 - 2:44 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I have been having nothing but trouble with my AEM FIC on my 5sfte set up. I have a 97 Celica GT Convertible with a newly rebuilt engine and a 16G CT-26 turbo set up. The ECU is not working well with the signals the piggyback is feeding the stock ECU. Based on a couple of posts I have seen on 6gc.net, I broke down and bought a diypnp 76 pin standalone. The diypnp has all the features I am looking for and the price doesn't break the bank. I just finished soldering the main board and am about to start doing the harness jumpers. Can anyone provide and example for wiring the diypnp?
post Nov 27, 2015 - 1:24 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Lagos is your main man for that. PM him

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Nov 27, 2015 - 8:22 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

To start the diypnp project, I cracked open the factory ECU to get the pinout locations.

I created the following document to help me.

I am still working out what sensors need to be hooked up and how they need to be wired. My initial goal will be to get the car to start and get the timing right at idle. Then I can start added more sensors and get a drivable street tune. More to come.

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Dec 2, 2015 - 12:42 AM
post Nov 28, 2015 - 9:40 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (HardHead93 @ Nov 25, 2015 - 2:44 AM) *
I have been having nothing but trouble with my AEM FIC on my 5sfte set up. I have a 97 Celica GT Convertible with a newly rebuilt engine and a 16G CT-26 turbo set up. The ECU is not working well with the signals the piggyback is feeding the stock ECU. Based on a couple of posts I have seen on 6gc.net, I broke down and bought a diypnp 76 pin standalone. The diypnp has all the features I am looking for and the price doesn't break the bank. I just finished soldering the main board and am about to start doing the harness jumpers. Can anyone provide and example for wiring the diypnp?

Now that I have the pinout locations I need to figure out how to wire them on the motherboard. It really sucks that so much of the factory functionality goes through the ECU. Functions like the back up light, A/C, headlights, defogger, and Cruise Control are all pinouts in the ECU. I think once I get the car running I will figure out how to run 12V power to them. I will also need to determine what are sensors for CEL and what actually control something on the car. This is going to take some time. frown.gif
post Nov 29, 2015 - 8:45 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

you most certainly need PIM. that is the MAP sensor. it is the main tuning sensor.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Nov 29, 2015 - 10:17 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Nov 29, 2015 - 8:45 PM) *
you most certainly need PIM. that is the MAP sensor. it is the main tuning sensor.

The DIYPMP has a built in 2.5 bar MAP sensor so it directs you to leave the factory one unplugged. The only other option is a 4 bar external unit but that still runs through a different pinout than the PIM.

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Nov 30, 2015 - 9:06 AM
post Nov 30, 2015 - 9:35 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

W is CEL which is a switched ground to the negative side of the CEL bulb. what else?

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Nov 30, 2015 - 9:41 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

ELS just leave it where it is, megasquirt should ignore it or do its own thing with it

in the tuning software you will assign functions onto the pins, so AC in and AC out will be able to be setup, cruise control should too

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Nov 30, 2015 - 3:09 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (delusionz @ Nov 30, 2015 - 9:35 AM) *
W is CEL which is a switched ground to the negative side of the CEL bulb. what else?

The big one is the NE and G pinouts. I know they are cam and crank signals but all references say some thing different. Any ideas? Also where does the Tach signal get pulled from?
post Nov 30, 2015 - 3:20 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (delusionz @ Nov 30, 2015 - 9:41 AM) *
ELS just leave it where it is, megasquirt should ignore it or do its own thing with it

in the tuning software you will assign functions onto the pins, so AC in and AC out will be able to be setup, cruise control should too

I figured out the A/C. So do I hook up power to the ELS or just leave it? Another question, there are 2 pinouts for ignition (IGS and IGT), but only one spot on the diypnp board what do I do with that?
post Dec 1, 2015 - 11:08 AM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

It really sucks that so much of the factory functionality goes through the ECU. Functions like the back up light, A/C, headlights, defogger, and Cruise Control are all pinouts in the ECU. I think once I get the car running I will figure out how to run 12V power to them. I will also need to determine what are sensors for CEL and what actually control something on the car. This is going to take some time. frown.gif

You don't actually need to wire the majority of those to the ecu. Just stick with the basics of fuel and spark to get the engine running.
Stuff like the defogger input is just there to make the factory ecu idle up when there is an electrical load placed on it. The DIYPNP just monitors its own voltage and allows you to tune for that stuff without an extra input.

As far as AC, I didn't need to fully wire to the ecu to get it to work. All I did was supply an input signal so that the diypnp would know to initial AC idle up... but I would still wait to set that up once you have the car running.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Dec 1, 2015 - 1:34 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (HardHead93 @ Nov 30, 2015 - 4:09 PM) *
QUOTE (delusionz @ Nov 30, 2015 - 9:35 AM) *

The big one is the NE and G pinouts. I know they are cam and crank signals but all references say some thing different. Any ideas? Also where does the Tach signal get pulled from?

I just heard back from diypnp.com on the question above.
NE=crankshaft
G=camshaft

Just my luck, I wired them the opposite. mad.gif
post Dec 2, 2015 - 12:38 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lagos @ Dec 1, 2015 - 11:08 AM) *
It really sucks that so much of the factory functionality goes through the ECU. Functions like the back up light, A/C, headlights, defogger, and Cruise Control are all pinouts in the ECU. I think once I get the car running I will figure out how to run 12V power to them. I will also need to determine what are sensors for CEL and what actually control something on the car. This is going to take some time. frown.gif

You don't actually need to wire the majority of those to the ecu. Just stick with the basics of fuel and spark to get the engine running.
Stuff like the defogger input is just there to make the factory ecu idle up when there is an electrical load placed on it. The DIYPNP just monitors its own voltage and allows you to tune for that stuff without an extra input.

As far as AC, I didn't need to fully wire to the ecu to get it to work. All I did was supply an input signal so that the diypnp would know to initial AC idle up... but I would still wait to set that up once you have the car running.

All done with the wiring and firmware is loaded. What ignition settings do I need? I have a 97 5sfe, California ECU, and distributor with a separate crank sensor (I replaced it when I did the engine rebuild). Also any tips on building a basic tune for a 16G CT26 turbo with 460cc injectors?

Injection Settings
Spark Mode: ?
Trigger Angle: ?
Main/Return: ?
Odd fire Angle: ?
GM HEI/DIS: ?
Use Cam Signal: ?
Ignition Input Capture: ?
Spark Output: ?
Number of Coils: ?
Dwell type: ?
Cranking Dwell: ?
Cranking Advance: ?
Maximum Dwell: ?
Maximum Spark Duration: ?
Trigger wheel arrangement: ?
Trigger wheel teeth: ?
Missing teeth: ?
Tooth #1 angle: ?
Wheel speed: ?
Second trigger active on
and every rotation of: ?

post Dec 4, 2015 - 7:41 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lagos @ Dec 1, 2015 - 12:08 PM) *

So I have calibrated all the sensors and set up the fuel map and the car will not start. It does turnover but will not start. mad.gif What am I doing wrong? I have the following ignition settings.

Spark Mode: Toothed Wheel
Trigger Angle: 4.00
Main/Return: 50.0
Odd fire Angle: 90
GM HEI/DIS: Off
Use Cam Signal: On
Ignition Input Capture: Falling Edge
Spark Output: Going High
Number of Coils: Wasted Spark
Dwell type: Standard Dwell
Cranking Dwell: 7.5
Cranking Advance: 10
Trigger wheel arrangement: Single Wheel with Missing Tooth
Trigger wheel teeth: 36
Missing teeth: 1
Tooth #1 angle: 0
Wheel speed: Crank Wheel
Second trigger active on
and every rotation of: Rising Edge
post Dec 7, 2015 - 1:22 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I still can't seem to figure it out. The car turns over but will not start. Occasionally it will sputter and almost start so I know it is getting fuel. I put the stock ECU back in with the piggyback and the car started right up. I wonder if it has something to do with the adjustable pull up resistor on the board for the cam and crank sensors. I has the same issue with the AEM FIC piggyback when I put too big of a resistor for the mod to clean up the cam and crank signals. I have the crank sensor running through the LM1815 circuit for a cleaner signal and still nothing. I will see if I can adjust the pull up resistance.

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Dec 7, 2015 - 9:10 AM
post Dec 8, 2015 - 12:20 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

Sorry for the lack of help, been really busy.

I see that you don't have the pull down resistor installed in R21. This is key to getting a cam/crank signal from a Toyota distributor.
The DIYPNP kit supplies you with an extra resistor (I think its a 50kohm?). For my build, I went with a 33kohm as I heard that's what the diyautotune guys settled with for the built 3sgte mspnp units. There is also an adjustable trim pot supplied with the kit that you can try, but I would start out with the fixed resistor. Actually, just noticed that you have the trim pot in there, so you can try adjusting that.

To verify that you are getting cam/crank signals in the Diagnostics & High Speed Loggers section of Turner Studio. Just click to start the logger and crank the car. You should be seeing your cam/crank signals. Adjust the trim pot until you start getting a reading.

PM me your email address, I will send you my excel spread sheet that I made for my car, as well as my current tune. My engine is a 3sgte, but all the settings should be very similar to the 5sfe to get it to start. Just make sure you setup/scale your injectors so that you are not flooding the engine.

This post has been edited by lagos: Dec 8, 2015 - 12:28 PM

--------------------
post Dec 8, 2015 - 12:25 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

Second trigger active on

Some of these settings are also different than what Im using in my tune.
A big one that stands out is that you are setup for waste spark, and mine is setup for single coil.
Also your Tooth 1 angle is at 0, and mine is a 37. Tooth 1 angle is how you set your base ignition timing, so having that at zero would cause some issues. I think that working from my tune map will help you clear up some of these settings.

Also for the cam signal, we have G1 and G2. You can use either one. For my distributor, I had trouble getting a signal from G1 so I switched to G2. Switching these might also affect your tooth 1 angle. The angle I posted is what I'm using on G2.

This post has been edited by lagos: Dec 8, 2015 - 12:42 PM

--------------------
post Dec 9, 2015 - 5:38 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lagos @ Dec 8, 2015 - 12:25 PM) *
Second trigger active on

Some of these settings are also different than what Im using in my tune.
A big one that stands out is that you are setup for waste spark, and mine is setup for single coil.
Also your Tooth 1 angle is at 0, and mine is a 37. Tooth 1 angle is how you set your base ignition timing, so having that at zero would cause some issues. I think that working from my tune map will help you clear up some of these settings.

Also for the cam signal, we have G1 and G2. You can use either one. For my distributor, I had trouble getting a signal from G1 so I switched to G2. Switching these might also affect your tooth 1 angle. The angle I posted is what I'm using on G2.

Yeah, we don't have a wasted spark setup on the 3sgte.
One engine I can think of that does run that is the 1mzfe on certain years of the engine.
Basically, there's one coil for each cylinder on the front bank, which then has a wire running to a corresponding cylinder on the rear bank.
post Jan 29, 2016 - 12:49 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

Any progress on this project?

--------------------
post Jan 29, 2016 - 1:18 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

Also, I just found a very cool time lapse video of someone building a DIYPNP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9OTCb-aS5k

--------------------

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 9:40 AM