> 3sgte swap on fwd, Title says it all
post Jul 28, 2020 - 6:21 PM
+Quote Post
ZarkMuckerberk

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 28, '20
From Finland
Currently Offline

Hi. I wanted to do engine swap on my st202 and I've tried to gather a lot information about it all around the internet and only got lots of inaccurate and uncertain information about it. The stuff doesn't seem to add up all the time. I try to be clear w my questions and there might be some mistakes. English isn't my native language afterall. I'm def gonna update here once I get started and anything mentionable done but it might take a long time because of work.

So anyways before I spend time and sleepless nights (and s***ton of money) for something that isn't doable afterall I'd like to know if 3sgte fits my enginebay.

If I understood correctly 3sgte should stright up fit to replace my 3sge? I was thinking about using the 4th gen engine except if I find full 3rd gen clip. Also I do need to do some mounting?
I also noticed people discussing about the tranny you should use. I was thinking about the s54 holding up but then I wondered if it would be safer to go for the modded E153. I've red and heard of some other choices too but can't get them on my mind rn... max hp I'm aiming at is somewhere around 260-300.

Also do oem driveshafts hold up on that hp because I kinda feel like those should be bit beefier, and is there any alternatives on that? (That's something I haven't managed to find yet) And does modded E153 for example need something else for that?

Oh and the shifter cables. They do have to be some specific ones like gt4 ones if I go for the E153? And does the clutch go as a mr2 one or do I take flywheel here and clutchdisc there?

And yes before ppl go yelling that it's f***ing unoptimal and waste of money to go for that swap etc. I'm avare of it but I really love my celly and I want to give new life on it and maybe even do the worst choise and burn my money, time and nerves making it rwd in the future. But prolly not gonna happen because of the chasis work. Also this would be some learning for me before I'm gonna go for some more expensive stuff like...supras? And yes I have "some" mechanic backup but they aren't familiar w this swap.
post Jul 30, 2020 - 9:51 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

basicly, all the 3sgte stuff is a direct bolt in for the 202. the s54 is fine, been using it for over 10 years on my swap, as have many others.

shifter cables, brackets, all stay s54 bits.

main difference is wiring harness. we have a company here in the states that will perform the harness conversion for us called wiregap inc. or you can convert it yourself if your handy with wiring.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Jul 30, 2020 - 11:00 AM
+Quote Post
ZarkMuckerberk

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 28, '20
From Finland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (presure2 @ Jul 30, 2020 - 9:51 AM) *
basicly, all the 3sgte stuff is a direct bolt in for the 202. the s54 is fine, been using it for over 10 years on my swap, as have many others.

shifter cables, brackets, all stay s54 bits.

main difference is wiring harness. we have a company here in the states that will perform the harness conversion for us called wiregap inc. or you can convert it yourself if your handy with wiring.

Oh ok. One thing I'm bit conserned about the s54 since it's the original one most likely that is. Should I get new(er) one or maybe atleast check the current ones condition? How about these hybrid clutches ppl talk about.

Also how much hp I could expect it to withstand?

Since you seem to have answers is there any logical way to make it rwd in the future?
post Jul 30, 2020 - 2:45 PM
+Quote Post
OldCecil

Enthusiast

Joined Jul 9, '20
From Ohio
Currently Offline

I'm originally an mr2 guy, and s54's will hold up just fine with a 3sgte and the hp numbers you're looking at.... I've done it 10 times without any trouble. Original or not, you shouldn't have any problems if your trans is in good shape. Also, you can contact southbend for that hybrid clutch disc you're talking about, or what I've done is just get an 5s disc and TOB and run it with a 3s flywheel and pressure plate. I'm not sure if there is anything different with the st202 swaps, I'm assuming they come with an s54 from the factory, same as st204's.
post Feb 11, 2021 - 5:29 PM
+Quote Post
Ghost010

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 12, '14
From Kingston
Currently Offline

Hey! I have done this before! I am currently running a 89 3sgte (Canadian) in my 94 6th gen front wheel drive.
when you drop that drive line and bolt on the s54 it will pull like a freight train.
what I used for the swap was;

- harness made by prime driven (800$ - 1100$ cdn)

- an updated supra AEM in tank fuel pump (this was needed because at high end the turbo will lean the motor out at 18 psi

- stock ecu from 89 celica all-trac

- AN fitting from fuel rail to new inline fuel filter joining either the existing line pre oem filter or new line all together (as I have opted for )

- 3" down pipe

- 3" under rear frame exhaust. I did 3" all the way back but I would recommend 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 for clearances if your running a lower suspension setup.

- Throttle cable from Celica all-trac

Personally I used the flywheel from the 3s-gte and mated it to the clutch from the 5s-fe (6 puck un-sprung) to the pressure plate of the 3s-gte

The motor mounting bracket on the passengers side if I remember needed to be modified very little, either in the casting mark or some sort of casting bracing needed to be lightly filed away for the timing cover to fit properly.
again this might be because I was using an older 3s-gte that I had the fitment issues, so I cant speak for everyone.

The most difficult part I experienced was mounting all the control modules everywhere. HOWEVER I suspect this is an issues reserved for older engines as modern sensors, resistors, and control units tend to be mounted to the engine or have developed past the point of its efficiency and rendered obsolete.

Oddly an issue I had after the fact was that due to the s54 transmission having an open diff I was putting the power of what would have been 4 wheels to essentially one. I broke three axles consecutively on the drivers side. I found if I restricted the torqueing movement of the motor it no longer created excessive stress on the cv axle cups. I did this with poly engine mounts and so far after a year of driving and occasional tracking it seems to have corrected the dilemma.

I am currently using the stock fuel pressure regulator and injectors and have very little ambition to upgrade as this is pretty close to the level of performance I had been expecting and aiming for.

I did move to a front mount intercooler and noticed huge changes! I had more turbo lag like mad and moved my torque band higher in the rev range. Being an older generation iteration of t-vis I suspect it might also play a part in lack of responsiveness till 4500rpm. If I hard to do it twice I would probably keep the top mount, and better insulate and maybe change it for a more efficient and new intercooler.

Don't know if this was help or not but figured I would throw my two cents in.
-cheers

post Feb 12, 2021 - 4:12 PM
+Quote Post
block

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '06
From Soda
Currently Offline

I'd like to think I'm one of the lucky guys that got a 3rd gen WRC motor with 3" downpipe, aftermarket manifold, Southbend clutch, aftermarket fuel pressure regulator, and oem harness for 1k. The swap was in a 91 Celica GTS. I wouldn't waste money on the harness at all. Cut through the middle of the firewall and put a grommet in place and drag it out. I spent 1200 on a good running car, 1000 on WRC engine, and another 2000 for 3" exhaust, FMIC, wheels, fuel pump, etc. Took me and my BIL a weekend and was driving on Monday. When I had my aftermarket ecu, I ran 21lbs of boost all summer and it was a damn blast, but I was semi-stripped. You'll love it. I plan on getting a ST205 this summer so I'll be back in.

This post has been edited by block: Feb 12, 2021 - 4:12 PM

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:43 PM