post Jul 7, 2019 - 8:59 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 7, 2019 - 7:27 PM) *
I miss the old school computer towers that were like huge and stuff, really had some weight to them. This whole computer being smaller than a toaster just isn't right.

Oh then will I have something for you to ogle soon. biggrin.gif laugh.gif It's about 3 feet tall, solid xtraa thicc steel, water cooled, and 'vintage' circa 2000. The guts are getting swapped out to something slightly more recent, a first gen Core based Xeon X3470 on a board with very strong VRM because that CPU can suck some serious power! I'll probably break my OCZ 600W PSU, it's always had coil whine and I think the fan is starting to die, not that I don't have a shortage of fans I can replace the bad one with lol.

--------------------
post Jul 7, 2019 - 9:49 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Haha, could really cram some serious computing power into an old tower with plenty of air space. I liked the first gaming towers that were lit and and liquid cooling, so cool.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 7, 2019 - 11:58 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Oh this is liquid cooled and has a window and I've got some lighting I can add as well. If I can get the temps right with a properly installed waterblock on the Xeon then I'll feel comfortable installing a Ryzen system under water with it, I just wish I had a way to pass CPU temp to the fan controller so I've still got some homework to do.

--------------------
post Jul 8, 2019 - 1:26 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Hmmm.... Just have the fan on all the time? tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 8, 2019 - 7:13 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 8, 2019 - 1:26 AM) *
Hmmm.... Just have the fan on all the time? tongue.gif

Alright here's what I'm working with, but it's not cleaned up to show mine yet.
https://koolance.com/pc2-601bw-liquid-cooling-system-black
I'm missing all the panels behind the front door for some reason, I'll have to figure something out to replace them with. I'm also missing one of the hard drive caddies but I think I have it around somewhere. And one of the 80mm fan holders. I used to run all 3 80mm fans as intake because the top radiator was 3 80mm exhaust fans. I have a specially bent metal air deflector to blow air down over the motherboard so the VRM gets cooling.

The board I used to have in there was a Asus P4C-800E
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1133
It had everything.

--------------------
post Jul 8, 2019 - 9:00 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

You've inspired me to make a laptop just so I can play Final Fantasy XIV, since I'm too cheap to buy PS+ for one game. If only such were higher on my priorities list. Sigh, what I get for having three expensive hobbies. Since being pretty isn't a hobby it's a lifestyle, so it doesn't count as a fourth. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 9, 2019 - 10:47 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Scrubbed out and washed the case, blasted it out clean with the garden hose, wiped it dry, it's been sitting in front of a fan drying. Tomorrow I'll either clay cloth the car or I'll start swapping the board over to the giant case made of heavy steel and razor blade sheet metal edges.

My Silverstone PWM fan hub came, turns out my one H87 board's 4 pin chassis fan header isn't PWM or something as the hub defaulted to it's full speed on that header but on the CPU header it was fine so I'm just keying all the case fans off the PWM CPU fan speed signal. It's nice and quiet now, even with the CPU full loaded, AND I still have room for 4 more fans (not that I could fit 4 more fans in that case).

--------------------
post Jul 9, 2019 - 10:56 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Every time I see PWM I think of synthesizers. Just thought you might like to know that about me.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 10, 2019 - 7:02 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 9, 2019 - 10:56 PM) *
Every time I see PWM I think of synthesizers. Just thought you might like to know that about me.

Not sure what it means in that context, for cooling fans it's Pulse Width Modulation which is the same way some LED's and other devices are controlled for brightness or speed.

--------------------
post Jul 10, 2019 - 7:59 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

PWM is the same with synthesizers; Pulse Width Modulation. It's when you use a low frequency oscillator to effect a pulse wave's(traditionally) cycle and you can alter the speed of the cycle sweep by changing the frequency of the LFO as well as the intensity by setting how much the LFO effects the signal. You'll also have a manual control for the actual pulse width that will set it to a specific spot in the cycle, which 50% is a square wave.

This post has been edited by Box: Jul 10, 2019 - 8:03 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 10, 2019 - 9:40 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

That probably made as much sense to me as it does to you if I started talking about vdroop and load line calibrations.

--------------------
post Jul 10, 2019 - 10:12 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

At least the premise of PWM is the same in either case.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 14, 2019 - 9:46 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Heck yeah, progress!

I got the Xeon stuff up and running in the Koolance case, messing around with CPU voltages now some. I need some case fans for it but I don't feel like laying out for good ones right now and there's no point buying crappy ones when nothing else uses 80mm and I'll just end up buying twice for the good ones later. I'll scrounge up some 80mm fans from my boxes of crap and make something work well enough. I've named this one 'The Monolith'. I can't screw with overclocking until I have some air blowing over the very beefy VRM coolers but with over 100 amps flowing through them and into the socket I NEED air blowing over the board! I should probably cut a hole under the board so I can blow air behind it too to try to cool the back of the socket and the pins in it. What's the max power for an 1156 socket? LOL

Found a red COB "DRL" LED strip in the basement that can run off 5V dimly, stuck that on the top panel inside 'The Cube' and it looks pretty awesome glowing some dim red light from the case.

--------------------
post Jul 14, 2019 - 2:09 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Just grab an electric leaf blower, there ya go plenty of air independent from the CPU. tongue.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 14, 2019 - 6:13 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 14, 2019 - 2:09 PM) *
Just grab an electric leaf blower, there ya go plenty of air independent from the CPU. tongue.gif

You know, I know you're kidding but....I do have a couple very strong blowers in the basement, one is a bouncy house inflator I got off a curb that MOVES some air. I found a pair of 80mm mismatched fans and my old air deflector for it, it's annoying in tone now but the VRM are plenty cooled. I got it at 3.84ghz and started backing the voltage down some but then I got bored and I think I'll just pick it back up some other time. Scores a whopping 600 points in Cinebench R15 where as my i7 4950HQ does 800 points AND only uses 50W of power doing so. Whatevers laugh.gif I kind of want to put in a thicker radiator and modern water block but nothing uses 1/4 inch ID so I'd need a block, rad, pump/res, and new tubing and still need to figure out how to get the Koolance control board to read block temps properly. I may just get the block first and some G1/4 to 6mm nipple fittings and then figure out how to mount the thermistor needed for the Koolance board. I guess I could just Dremel out a divot in the base plate off to the side to glue it into, that's essentially what the Koolance block does. Yay more money, I'm taking a break from spending on computers for a while.

And it would be pointless because I'd be buying an Intel block when I want to house an AMD system in that case anyway. Not that it looks like they can overclock, they're not even hitting their claimed boost clocks. What a ****ty product launch...

--------------------
post Jul 14, 2019 - 7:39 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Hmmm... down the rabbit hole like anything else that involves customization. Also bothered with looking up the rec specs for FFXIV:
Final Fantasy XIV Recommended Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i7 (2.66 GHz) or faster
RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 with 768 MB VRAM or equivalent
TOTAL VIDEO RAM: 768 MB
HARDWARE T&L: Yes
PIXEL SHADER: 4.0
VERTEX SHADER: 4.0
SOUND CARD: Yes
FREE DISK SPACE: 15 GB

Hmmm....

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 15, 2019 - 7:52 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jul 14, 2019 - 7:39 PM) *
Hmmm... down the rabbit hole like anything else that involves customization. Also bothered with looking up the rec specs for FFXIV:
Final Fantasy XIV Recommended Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i7 (2.66 GHz) or faster
RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 with 768 MB VRAM or equivalent
TOTAL VIDEO RAM: 768 MB
HARDWARE T&L: Yes
PIXEL SHADER: 4.0
VERTEX SHADER: 4.0
SOUND CARD: Yes
FREE DISK SPACE: 15 GB

Hmmm....

Since they don't spec what gen of i7 they're likely referring to 1st gen parts which also jives with the age of that video card. That's like 10+ year old hardware and it should be fairly cheap to put it together from used parts. When you're ready to start buying parts I can help you find deals on eBay or wherever if you'd like.

--------------------
post Jul 15, 2019 - 1:51 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I thought it sounded like fairly minimal stuff these days, then again the game came out in 2010? So I guess that'd be about right. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 27, 2019 - 10:50 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

So finally decided to give Fallout another try with Fallout 4 GOTY Edition, but everyone selling on Amazon is overpriced and I can't exactly go to Wal-Mart or Gamestop currently. Meh... It's on super sale on Steam currently but I don't have a computer to play it. Sigh...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 29, 2019 - 9:26 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Stop being so picky and just get a desktop PC built for cheap for gaming. rolleyes.gif

--------------------

18 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 10:18 AM