6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> What's Your Favorite Harbor Freight Tools/Stuff?, Sure, a lot of is shi*#, but there are some gems in there...
post Nov 1, 2017 - 3:02 PM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

Figured I'd start this to help someone else find some gems at the good ol' Harbor Freight! What do you guys like that you regularly or one time bought from there?

My favorites:

- Their vehicle jacks
- Nylon zip ties
- Grinding wheels
- Tiny spring clips for plastic bags in the kitchen
- Corded 1/2" drive electric impact wrench (if you don't have air)
- 21mm deep impact socket. c:
- I have a tool cart that I got for Christmas one year and it works GREAT!

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
post Nov 1, 2017 - 3:35 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

The wheel saver sockets... With the vinyl around the outside.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Nov 1, 2017 - 3:53 PM
+Quote Post
95CelicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 5, '05
From pineapple under the sea
Currently Offline

I am only wrenching on my car as a hobby, but in my experience their sockets have been pretty good. They get the job done like any Craftsman.

I also use their low profile jack and jack stands. No complaints.

--------------------
1991 MR2 - T-tops - Crimson Red - Gen3 3SGTE - Lots of money

I'm not really an asshole, but I play one on the internet.
**** Photobucket
post Nov 1, 2017 - 4:00 PM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Nov 1, 2017 - 4:35 PM) *
The wheel saver sockets... With the vinyl around the outside.

I've never heard of them before, but that's cool!

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Nov 1, 2017 - 4:10 PM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

Love their color coded sockets, media blaster, low profile jack and random nic naks
post Nov 1, 2017 - 9:39 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

i have learned with harbor freight their metal is ok, but the tool itself sucks...

I have learned sometimes to make the investment.

for example, their hoist. Good money, had it for ten years, only used it less than 20 times in those ten years. It crapped out. Really. Low use, and it craps when i need it the most.

the metal is good, so i just get a good hydraulic jack, and voila...

the engine stands, somewhat flimsy, it does the job. I had 2. I was going to get rid of one, and then it gave me an idea...

shortened, and welded, and its a good base for my bead roller....

I have the parts washer, the paint peeled off, and it rusted..

the sanblasting cabinet, i got rid of the gun, and put in a real gun and it works..

HF is good for disposables, but when you have to invest in the tool to make it into a real tool, it sucks..

An angle grinder lasted 2 months. My dewalt, have it for 3 years.. I can go on and on.

Sockets, they break, screwdrivers, bent. etc etc etc

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Nov 1, 2017 - 9:44 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I bought a bronze hammer there once, it's the only tool from there I have left that hasn't broken. Everything else I got from there I broke, ratchets, wrenches, sockets. They're fine for a disposable tool you'll use once or twice but I wouldn't trust my hands with their wrenches, ratchets, and sockets nor would I trust my life with their engine hoists, jack stands, or jacks.

--------------------
post Nov 1, 2017 - 10:12 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

The aluminum low profile jack has been great, only reason gave it a shot was that it was rated so well across the web and Harbor Freight wasn't the only distributor. So I'm not sure if that technically counts, but it came from there so close enough.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 1, 2017 - 11:03 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

but lifetime warranty. I've brought back any tool i've broken and got it replaced no questions asked. that's the only good thing about those cheap tools. but I will have to 2nd/3rd the low profile jack. I love mine. sockets have been good for me, haven't broken one yet. I like getting their battery float chargers now that I have 4 cars that sit over winter, I've got a float charge for each one. they're cheap but they work.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Nov 1, 2017 - 11:34 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Well that's the thing, if I'm in the middle of a job and snap a tool then what? I have to borrow one from a co-worker if they're not using it. Worse yet I snap a tool and it damages something else I have to pay for. Worser yetter I break a tool it breaks me! I get you guys wrench at home without a time frame or a budget or whatever, that's cool. For anyone making a living at this, for the love of holy heck don't get harbor freight junk. It's super appealing cause it's super cheap but you'll find yourself with sloppy tools rounding stuff off or breaking in the middle of working and then you're stuck. Sure my snap-on 3/8ths universal joint costs like $30 but I've been using the same one for 10 years and even use it on my 150ftlb 3/8ths gun. New guy popped the pin right out of his HF universal joint just cranking on it by hand with my long handle ratchet. :lol: And it was brand new!

And there's some tools that you just can't get anywhere else but from the tool guys, my Mac MR4C ratchet sure looks similar to some other mini ratchets out there but I've put my hands on the knockoff tools and they're not even close. The amount of slop between teeth and roll back after advancing to the next tooth is just god awful bad on cheaper ratchets, may not mean alot to the home user but to me it does. More time taking up slack is less time turning the bolt or nut, and when you're in a super tight spot sometimes just a click at a time is all you get so you better make every click count.

--------------------
post Nov 2, 2017 - 2:12 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

The cheapest I'd go for tools was the Craftsmen stuff made in the U.S. since at least it was actually decent, and had the lifetime warranty. The only time anything ever broke was when it was used in a way you really weren't supposed to use it, and then Sears replaced it no questions asked. You do get what you pay for though as with most anything else in life. That said anything from Harbor Freight or a parts house brand I've never been impressed with, just cheap junk not worth a damn. At least the Craftsmen stuff was good to get started with and lasts. Of course now I don't think they're even around or if so it's probably made where all the other cheap crap is made.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 2, 2017 - 7:45 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Black n Decker bought Craftsman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Black_%26_Decker

This post has been edited by Bitter: Nov 2, 2017 - 7:47 AM

--------------------
post Nov 2, 2017 - 8:36 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 2, 2017 - 12:34 AM) *
Well that's the thing, if I'm in the middle of a job and snap a tool then what? I have to borrow one from a co-worker if they're not using it. Worse yet I snap a tool and it damages something else I have to pay for. Worser yetter I break a tool it breaks me! I get you guys wrench at home without a time frame or a budget or whatever, that's cool. For anyone making a living at this, for the love of holy heck don't get harbor freight junk. It's super appealing cause it's super cheap but you'll find yourself with sloppy tools rounding stuff off or breaking in the middle of working and then you're stuck. Sure my snap-on 3/8ths universal joint costs like $30 but I've been using the same one for 10 years and even use it on my 150ftlb 3/8ths gun. New guy popped the pin right out of his HF universal joint just cranking on it by hand with my long handle ratchet. :lol: And it was brand new!

And there's some tools that you just can't get anywhere else but from the tool guys, my Mac MR4C ratchet sure looks similar to some other mini ratchets out there but I've put my hands on the knockoff tools and they're not even close. The amount of slop between teeth and roll back after advancing to the next tooth is just god awful bad on cheaper ratchets, may not mean alot to the home user but to me it does. More time taking up slack is less time turning the bolt or nut, and when you're in a super tight spot sometimes just a click at a time is all you get so you better make every click count.

Exactly... My dad's been a tech for 35 years or so and he uses nothing but Snap-On, Mac, etc. He said other tools work, but when you're wrenching on stuff all day, you want to use what is COMFORTABLE in your hand and will last.

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 2, 2017 - 3:12 AM) *
The cheapest I'd go for tools was the Craftsmen stuff made in the U.S. since at least it was actually decent, and had the lifetime warranty. The only time anything ever broke was when it was used in a way you really weren't supposed to use it, and then Sears replaced it no questions asked. You do get what you pay for though as with most anything else in life. That said anything from Harbor Freight or a parts house brand I've never been impressed with, just cheap junk not worth a damn. At least the Craftsmen stuff was good to get started with and lasts. Of course now I don't think they're even around or if so it's probably made where all the other cheap crap is made.

I bought the last 270-ish piece Craftsman set that is 100% US made. Now most of their stuff is made overseas. My biggest gripe is that all the 1/2" drive sockets are 12 pointers, which I HATE.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Nov 2, 2017 - 9:00 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

Yup, that's exactly it Jordan, I just wrench at home so for me, it's fine if I break it. and I haven't bought/broke any tool that would cost me my life nor do I intend to. If I were to do it for a living, definitely would not get these.

--------------------

post Nov 2, 2017 - 10:23 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Nov 1, 2017 - 9:39 PM) *
i have learned with harbor freight their metal is ok, but the tool itself sucks...

I have learned sometimes to make the investment.

for example, their hoist. Good money, had it for ten years, only used it less than 20 times in those ten years. It crapped out. Really. Low use, and it craps when i need it the most.

the metal is good, so i just get a good hydraulic jack, and voila...

the engine stands, somewhat flimsy, it does the job. I had 2. I was going to get rid of one, and then it gave me an idea...

shortened, and welded, and its a good base for my bead roller....

I have the parts washer, the paint peeled off, and it rusted..

the sanblasting cabinet, i got rid of the gun, and put in a real gun and it works..

HF is good for disposables, but when you have to invest in the tool to make it into a real tool, it sucks..

An angle grinder lasted 2 months. My dewalt, have it for 3 years.. I can go on and on.

Sockets, they break, screwdrivers, bent. etc etc etc

I like the ideas! That cherry picker should now last you a lifetime.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Nov 2, 2017 - 10:31 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

https://m.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-h...Fnot%20provided

I have put this ratchet through more abuse than it will ever see any weekend warrior’s garage on the weekends, and more than most mechanics by trade would put it through. It still works like the day I bought it.

Cons: Could use more teeth. Not longest reach between clicks but not the shortest either. The head is a little big so it won’t fit into tight places. And an 8 lb sledgehammer will easily beat up the rubber grips on the handle.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 2, 2017 - 10:40 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

^
haven't put mine through as much abuse as yours but I do like it and will have to agree on the cons as well.

--------------------

post Nov 2, 2017 - 11:20 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I’ve seen a Snap-on 1/2 breaker bar break doing some of the things I’ve used this ratchet for. That being said, I wasn’t concerned if it broke. I also have the low profile jack and it has been great for a few years now. I’m waiting to see how long it lasts before a seal starts leaking, but I’m five years in and still good. I opted to put my faith in different jack stands though.

I tried the ball joint press once- should have just lit my $90 on fire. Bent the press immediately and the ball joint didn’t budge.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 2, 2017 - 12:43 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

F@#% cars. Horse & buggy all the way.

JK, but for real.

The only thing I have from harbor freight is the low profile jack that I don't use anymore cause I ain't got a Celica. frown.gif
post Nov 2, 2017 - 12:59 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (navseal345 @ Nov 2, 2017 - 12:43 PM) *
cause I ain't got a Celica. frown.gif

see now there's your problem. HF ain't cho problem... yet.

--------------------

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:36 AM