post Feb 23, 2013 - 6:21 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Feb 23, 2013 - 7:53 AM) *
it sounds like youll be better off with the 7th gens. Since you will have to get tires for them, youll end up spending less than 600 total for the wheels and new tires.

(im biased, i dont like those caldina rims haha)

You don't like those rims! redface.gif

I just read njccmd2002's progression thread, and now I am in completely in love with them! (and for the first time ever wish I had a black car so the would look that amazing!) Bit concerned about that offset though - dont want it to look sucked in, but don't want spacers either... Still stock suspension.

Everybody has their own opinion on wheels, personally I absolutely HATE black wheels, contrary to most people on this site.

Unfortunately whilst waiting to be emailed the Caldina rim pictures he sold them frown.gif - just my luck, he has been parting out for a month and the day after I start enquiring he sells them -.-

I think I might either wait for the Caldina Rims, or at least wait to fin the 7th gen ones locally, rather than paying for shipping now.

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post Feb 24, 2013 - 12:06 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

just use the 7th gen rims to hold you over for now

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Feb 24, 2013 - 12:18 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Man, that Celi is clean! thumbsup.gif I wouldn't throw out black rims on silver just yet..matte black on silver is teh sex!

But yeah, 7th gen until ya find the perfect set you like!

--------------------
post Feb 24, 2013 - 12:53 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

^ Formerly had that combination, nice indeed but the appeal to me was short-lived. I always liked the color combination, but unless the wheels are perfectly clean, it looks like dirty "normal" black.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Feb 24, 2013 - 12:54 PM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Feb 24, 2013 - 6:31 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Feb 24, 2013 - 12:06 PM) *
just use the 7th gen rims to hold you over for now

I will probably end up doing that, but there aren't too many around and I don't want to rush into paying too much for them when I know they aren't going to be long term tongue.gif And confession, I am a great fan of the OEM look, so I don't mind sticking with what I have for a bit longer... They just are a little small tongue.gif (And my grandparents Camry has the same wheels!!! redface.gif)

QUOTE (Malek @ Feb 24, 2013 - 12:18 PM) *
Man, that Celi is clean! thumbsup.gif I wouldn't throw out black rims on silver just yet..matte black on silver is teh sex!

But yeah, 7th gen until ya find the perfect set you like!

Thank you smile.gif unfortunately the paint has a fair few minor blemishes up close, but take a few steps back and it looks mint smile.gif

BUT... I'm not sure if I could ever live with myself getting black wheels... It's that bad tongue.gif

So I'll keep looking for both, with the end aim being the Caldina wheels smile.gif Thank you everybody for your inputs smile.gif

--------------------

post Mar 6, 2013 - 2:30 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

They arrived biggrin.gif

Now just need to wait for the rain to stop!

P.s. And should be getting a new phone (Nokia Lumia 820) this week so my mobile uploads won't be so terrible! tongue.gif

--------------------

post Mar 7, 2013 - 4:32 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

All installed biggrin.gif that has to be quite simply THE easiest mod you can do tongue.gif Just push, pull, twist and clip tongue.gif

Will get pics when it's daylight (and not raining) but everybody knows what they look like anyway tongue.gif

--------------------

post Mar 10, 2013 - 10:11 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Real news... NEW WHEELS!!!

Set of 4 16" 5 spoke alloys off a 2003 ZR Celica - including centre caps with very minimal gutter rash..... For $180 AUD tongue.gif

CAMBEEERRRRRRR!!!!! tongue.gif

2 of the tyres are completely shot, and two I will get a couple of thousand out of (if I want to). Planning to get some second hand tyres for the two shot ones on the front until I am sure I am happy with the look (and don't find any Caldina rims), before I'll get some proper dunlops or pirellie's or something.

I'm looking for some euro front splitters from the UK at the moment, and want to pick up some TRD rear splitters for the back. I find they follow the lines of the car much better than the ssiii ones, and look less stuck on.

I'm also negotiating with a couple of people in AUS about possibly getting some projectors and a front grill smile.gif

P.s. they're currently hiding in my grandparents shed until I break the news to my dad (and get new tyres) - he still thinks I'm the perfect child with a completely stock car tongue.gif

--------------------

post Mar 10, 2013 - 10:15 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Your dad has it pretty good if the worst thing he had to worry about is you changing the rims on your car. smile.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 11, 2013 - 6:46 AM
+Quote Post
Timmyface

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From Maitland, NSW
Currently Offline

LOL, the first thing i seen was the photo at a glance and went, wow, super stance. hahaha.
Nice pick up though dude, $180 was a steal thumbsup.gif

And have fun finding euro splitters, took me ages to find mine, than i sold them tongue.gif
And in the end, if you bought the car, you can do what you want. My dad is a highway patrol cop, and he/i know my car is defectable tongue.gif

--------------------
post Mar 11, 2013 - 10:10 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Mar 10, 2013 - 10:15 PM) *
Your dad has it pretty good if the worst thing he had to worry about is you changing the rims on your car. smile.gif

Haha, well I haven't told anybody about the gt-4 yet either.... tongue.gif But I do take your point smile.gif

QUOTE (Timmyface @ Mar 11, 2013 - 6:46 AM) *
LOL, the first thing i seen was the photo at a glance and went, wow, super stance. hahaha.
Nice pick up though dude, $180 was a steal thumbsup.gif

And have fun finding euro splitters, took me ages to find mine, than i sold them tongue.gif
And in the end, if you bought the car, you can do what you want. My dad is a highway patrol cop, and he/i know my car is defectable tongue.gif

Yeah, I'm still on stock suspension, but that doesn't stop me from playing trick photography! tongue.gif

$180 was a good deal I think; there are a couple of sets on Gumtree in Melbourne and Sydney for $250 that have a bit better tyres, but rims not as good and I would have to pay shipping too. These ones were listed at $250 last night on Gumtree too but only about 35 min from home, but I still managed to bargain him down (I do that a lot - you have all been forewarned tongue.gif).

I have joined Celica Club UK for that sole purpose tongue.gif they do come up there every now and again for about 30 pounds, but I have no idea how much after shipping and painting. I am certainly not expecting to find them overnight though (unfortunately tongue.gif).

And I find that hilarious about your dad tongue.gif I can just imagine him cringing every time you leaving the house with your 3mm *exageration* of ground clearance tongue.gif

And we are yet to cross paths officially on here, but I have stalked your build thread many times - I have loved many aspects of your design and at many points it has been by far my favorite pre-face. (However as noted above I have an irrational hatred of black rims, and although you pulled it off very well I still loved it more before you went black, and you had the euro splitters on - there is one photo I have in mind at that stage that is simply stunning). You should expect a lengthy reply on your thread at some point when I have the spare time, both about the build and the awesome photography! smile.gif

--------------------

post Mar 18, 2013 - 8:13 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Another very minor update; new shift boot. eBay job for about $11 including shipping from UK. Fitment is reasonable, but not perfect. In any case, looks much neater than the worn out original.

I'd like to give bigger updates but I need to find people to buy it off first! tongue.gif (Without paying fortunes on international shipping on inflated eBay prices tongue.gif).

--------------------

post Mar 24, 2013 - 10:05 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Well I was going to wait to wash and get good pics with my SLR, but mid-semester exams + cold means that might be a little while so here it is;

They look nice smile.gif However I still jump every-time I walk outside because i'm not expecting to see them, and it looks weird after being so used to the stock wheels tongue.gif I'll still keep half an eye out for the Caldina wheels, but these are nice and the ride on the 16's is quite reasonable.

I mayyy have bought a second set of these same wheels (no centre caps though) during the week tongue.gif I got them for $75!!! The guy didn't know what he had, they were a gift for an old Camry that he had that he never put on, I lowballed him $75 expecting a huge counter-offer and he jumped on it! So that worked out cheaper than a set of 2 second-hand tyres tongue.gif

It is quite sad really that these tyres have much better grip than my old ones; which were brand new when I bought the car ~12,000kms ago, however they were fitted by the dealer and are pretty much the cheapest chinese **** you can get (Insert whatever derogatory 4 letter word you like tongue.gif). The tyres i'm running on the fronts on the 16's (Hero Milanza brand) have plenty of tread but are showing a small amount of crazing and small cracks in the tread and have gone a bit hard, and the ones on the back are in better shape but only just above the tread indicator (Kumho), yet these have many times better dry and wet weather traction then my old set!!! I will keep these on for a few weeks to make sure I am happy to keep these rims before i go out and spend big money on proper tyres tongue.gif

Bit of a scary experience last night, we had a huge storm come over and since we don't have a carport I jumped in my car and headed off to the local undercover shopping centre (They can't lock it - win tongue.gif), however the storm hit hard about half way there and I ended up driving the rest of the way by memory - visability was 0 with the wind and rain, the street lights were cutting in and out and the traffic lights were all down. It was so bad that I couldn't see white traffic islands in the middle of the road, even when I was right next to them. Luckily got there safely and waited out the storm. When i returned home there was a tree across the driveway about where my car was parked before, so a good move even if I left my run a little late.

I'm now just really hanging out for a set of euro front splitters and TRD rear splitters tongue.gif

--------------------

post Mar 31, 2013 - 5:02 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

I came accross a couple of old images that I didn't ever have a chance to upload too;

This is one when I went out on a drive to fetch a new camera lens and I wanted to try it out on the way home:

And this one is on a Brisbane Celica Club cruise from last year:

And I remembered that I didn't upload any photos of my new subwoofer. I am very happy with it, and it is a great option if you want that full range from your audio setup without sacrificing the practicality of the lift back celicas.

(Excuse the mess tongue.gif)

It is very durable too, I had no concerns about chucking a full set of wheels on it and driving a considerable distance tongue.gif

Due to eBay canceling my bid on me for unforeseen technical reasons I missed out on the TRD rear splitters I really wanted... But I have a shopper trawling through Japanese listings for me, and in discussions with a couple of private sellers, so there should be a few JDM goodies coming my way shortly ;D

P.S. for splitters and *spoiler alert* mirrors I am looking at some are being advertised in Europe / UK as Lucerne Silver, is there different silver mixes for our generation Celica in different regions?

--------------------

post Mar 31, 2013 - 4:13 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Lucerne is alpine, I suppose, but the only factory color I know of is Alpine Silver. It is also, coincidentally, my city of birth.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Mar 31, 2013 - 4:14 PM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Mar 31, 2013 - 6:04 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Mar 31, 2013 - 4:13 PM) *
Lucerne is alpine, I suppose, but the only factory color I know of is Alpine Silver. It is also, coincidentally, my city of birth.

Haha, so that's why you like it so much wink.gif

But that is good, I don't want to pay a lot extra for getting silver ones that don't need painting only to find they are a completely different shade tongue.gif

--------------------

post Apr 2, 2013 - 5:00 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Guess what time it is…. PHOTO TIME!!! biggrin.gif

I was down on the sunny Gold Coast today, so I cleaned the car and took some photos to show off my new wheels!

Since nobody is going to read what I write here with the photos below I guess I’ll just link now and talk later…

I want to finally enter a Celica of the month competition… Please help me choose!  OR, tell me to go home and take better pictures / get more JDM parts first tongue.gif

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Apr 23, 2012 - 6:51 PM) *
The mod bug will bite. Beware.

Ohhh… OUCH! MAKE IT STAHHHPPPP! tongue.gif Yeah, I go to buy one or two tiny little things and here I am buying almost everything I have ever dreamt of…. Love prices ordering direct from Japan wink.gif

The sad thing is that with my new wheels and a couple of good, regular cleans I have fallen back in love with it just the way it is anyway tongue.gif BUT… who can say no to JDM goodies.

--------------------

post Apr 2, 2013 - 8:52 PM
+Quote Post
CelicaZR

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '05
From Sydney, Australia
Currently Offline

I hope you got some jdm projectors on order smile.gif

--------------------

98 ST204 ZR - Black Beauty - Roaming the streets of Sydney
73 TA22 LT - Tiffany Blue - Mint Classic Weekend Cruiser
75 TA22 LT - Snow White - Mint Classic Weekend Cruiser
77 RA28 LT - Flubber Green - Mint Classic Weekend Cruiser
94 MX-5 NA8 Clubman - Red Racer - Looking for corners
WIP Project: 69 RT40 Corona, 2nd WIP Project: 66 RT40 1600s Corona
86 Corona RT142 - Daily Driver

6GC 4 Life Baby!!!
post Apr 2, 2013 - 10:41 PM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (CelicaZR @ Apr 2, 2013 - 9:52 PM) *
I hope you got some jdm projectors on order smile.gif

Mayyyyyybe wink.gif

--------------------

post Apr 2, 2013 - 10:41 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

looks tidy/clean well done thumbsup.gif

--------------------

14 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:50 AM