6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 3rd Generation ST205 3SGTE Celica VS. 4th Generation ST215 3SGTE Caldi, Comparisons
post Aug 24, 2016 - 2:15 AM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

I was bored so I compiled this info together. I'm actually researching into this a bit. I wanted to get some info onto our own site, as its possible we might head into this movement as the mr2 homies are.

ST205 3rd Gen 3sgte

ST215 4th Gen 3sgte

3rd Generation ST205 3SGTE Celica VS. 4th Generation ST215 3SGTE Caldina
- 4th gen essentially needs only the motor, ECU, and everything that goes with the harness wiring while the 3rd gen pretty much needs the front clip or all the accessories complete
- 4th gen has a larger throttle body
- 4th gen uses ct15 vs 3rd gen ct20 turbo
- 4th gen uses a one-piece turbo/manifold vs 3rd gen but you can still get your own or make your own manifold and pick your own turbo
- 4th gen different exhaust manifold bolt pattern than 3rd gen but still fits same for all S family if 3rd can fit on 5s and 3rd can fit on 4th
- 4th gen different downpipe than the 3rd gen
- 4th gen Intercooler is Air to Air vice Air to Water on the 3rd Gen (Run FMIC for 4th gen unless you switch to air to water setup or create a Caldina style air scoop)
- Both 540cc/min injectors but 4th gen has top feed high impedance vs 3rd gen side feed low impedance
- 4th gen – quicker spooling turbo
- 4th gen has COP (Coil on Plug) while 3rd gen has distributor
- 4th Gen manifold is better with side feed while 3rd gen is almost a center feed
- Midpipe will need to be welded to connect downpipe and rest of exhaust – same for both gens
- S Family transmission or E153 transmission both fits keep the axles and shift cables based on the transmission you use. So you have to match your mounts to transmission as well.
Same Engine Mounts as GT, You can use a 3s flywheel, 3s pressure plate, and a 3s disc splined for 5s or just use the 5s disc.
- Radiator hoses stay the same, either use 5S or 3S
- 4th Gen now is getting cheaper and doable many shops like chico and prime have done many on celicas, mr2s, and even rav4s – more 4th gens are now popping up for sale
- Essentially and by assumption a 4th gen would provide a less beat up engine with low miles since it was mostly an automatic from Japan and newer, but that’s not guaranteed.
- 4th gen requires axle carrier bearing locating pins since the 2nd/3rd gens had them already pressed in but the 4th gen is missing them – get it from Primemr2 and press or tap it in
- 4th gen requires tach adapter. This device converts the tachometer signal from the Gen4 engine to be compatible with the existing tachometer
- Both still need the Supra TT fuel pump or Walbro 255
- 4th gen prior has mentioned internals are weaker such as the rods, but it was found that many of the internal part numbers are the same than 3rd gen.
- 4th gen cylinder walls are thicker than 3rd gen
- 4th gen runs a 9:0:1 compression ratio rather than the 8:5:1 of the 3rd gen
- External drive belts should be the same I believe
- 5S 2.2L PS and AC is possible to mount on to the 4th gen same as 3rd gen
- Head gaskets may be different I’m not sure but I see them as two different part numbers
- Question lies: Where do you get replacement parts for the ST215? It’s difficult to say at this point where a good source is at but with the 4th gen movement some used parts may soon become move available. I’m starting to see some parts being sold on ebay and other sites.
- Other info: The combustion chamber is different. It has a different shape for better pressure recovery. The ports are also different. They are cleaner (better machined) and have different intake valve angle grinds.

YEAR COMP DISPL. POWER TORQUE CAR
1994-1999 8.5:1 1998cc 241hp@6000rpm 225lb-ft@3400rpm ST205 (Celica)
1997-2002 9.0:1 1998cc 255hp@6200rpm 240lb-ft@4400rpm ST215 (Caldina)

Wiring: Can be done by Primemr2 or wiregapinc (mr220v) or by yourself if you want

Aftermarket downpipe: can be found on Primemr2

I’m not taking credit for anything, I’m simply compiling information instead of all this scattered information all over the web.

REFERENCES: www.mr2oc.com, alltrac.net (pitcelica), ilovemysilly, plachum, wiregapinc, 6gc.net forums, toymods.au, and others who I may not have mentioned that provided some input on threads

If there are corrections to be made or additions, that would be great.

This post has been edited by trdproven: Aug 28, 2016 - 4:54 AM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
|Work|Greddy|Samco|Project Mu|H&R|Gates|Moog|Rota|Yokohama|Epman|1320|Upgr8
04 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tein|BC Racing|Greddy|

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
post Aug 24, 2016 - 7:07 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

One correction I see, the 4th gen is actually not VVT-i. Good thread though, hopefully it dispels a lot of the misinformation and assumptions about the 4th gen!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 24, 2016 - 7:19 AM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Aug 24, 2016 - 10:07 PM) *
One correction I see, the 4th gen is actually not VVT-i. Good thread though, hopefully it dispels a lot of the misinformation and assumptions about the 4th gen!

Thanks made correction. Hopefully it can grow into something more accurate and just plain more info.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Aug 24, 2016 - 8:22 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

I assume you're looking into a 4th gen swap for yourself? I would be happy to pull some part numbers to contribute to your thread. I'm eventually planning to go 4th gen myself but life keeps getting in the way.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 24, 2016 - 9:17 AM
+Quote Post
DarkDeath

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 6, '13
From Toronto, Canada
Currently Offline

good stuff, also one thing though:

- Both use the same turbo CT20b

I believe the gen4 3sgte uses a CT15B?

Definitely going for a 4th gen swap right now, and I definitely want to be part of finding out the ins and outs of this engine, since alot of info of this engine is tossed all over (rods are weak, but some say they handle fine etc) it'll be good to get some concrete and new info by having it.

~DarkDeath

--------------------

September 2014 & July 2015 Celica of the Month
1995 Toyota "EnDeR" Celica GTS-T Gen4 3sgte swapped
[Instagram: @Ender_Celica]
post Aug 24, 2016 - 1:03 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

4th gen essentially needs only the motor, ECU, and everything that goes with the harness wiring while the 3rd gen pretty much needs the front clip

This is not correct.
If anything the 3rd gen is the easier swap since it originally came from a 94-99 Celica.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Aug 24, 2016 - 1:14 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

He's essentially just saying that the 4th gen is more self contained than the 3rd gen, and that it doesn't need any extra accessories that the 3rd gen does such as the fuel pump resistor pack, w2a heat exchanger, etc. I wouldn't say that either swap is more difficult than the other. You're trading extra accessories on the 3rd gen for a FMIC on the 4th gen.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 24, 2016 - 5:24 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

QUOTE (lagos @ Aug 25, 2016 - 4:03 AM) *
4th gen essentially needs only the motor, ECU, and everything that goes with the harness wiring while the 3rd gen pretty much needs the front clip

This is not correct.
If anything the 3rd gen is the easier swap since it originally came from a 94-99 Celica.

This is the information I got from a lot of boards. ilovemysilly also recently did the swap and says it was fairly simple given its a first time for a major project like this. I guess in comparison the two swaps are the same essentially if you really think about it. Although the 3rd gen did come out of our cars exactly, its still physically a bolt on 3s just like the 3rd gen. The only difference really is in electronics in the 4th gen while the 3rd gen you needed a lot of those accessories around the motor and the firewall which essentially required a clip - hard find. And the wiring for the 4th gen which makes it the hardest part can just be overcome with wiregap and primemr2. Tweak did the same swap years before and basically said the same thing.

I just wanted to have information to our site that we can build and make it more accurate and make it referenced for future builds. MR2 guys have been doing this day in and out so I'm guessing this is an option as well. I'm planning on this one instead of the 5sfte but I'm trying to do the gt-four front first if I could ever get a good price or even find any at all.

This post has been edited by trdproven: Aug 24, 2016 - 6:01 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Aug 24, 2016 - 5:33 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DarkDeath @ Aug 25, 2016 - 12:17 AM) *

Definitely going for a 4th gen swap right now, and I definitely want to be part of finding out the ins and outs of this engine, since alot of info of this engine is tossed all over (rods are weak, but some say they handle fine etc) it'll be good to get some concrete and new info by having it.

~DarkDeath

according to some forum sources and mywikimotors, it was a ct20b

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Aug 24, 2016 - 6:48 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

You dont really need the fuel pump resistor or the water pump relay. When I did Amy's car I removed all that wiring from the harness and defeated CODE 54 at the ECU using the ST185 method. very easy.

Or you could use a 3rd gen MR2 ECU. I did that for her All-Trac. got rid of MAFS and ran larger injectors.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Aug 24, 2016 - 6:52 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

I'm not sure I agree with saying that the 3rd Gen 'accessories' make it a harder swap. the relay box is 6 wires...and the resistor is built in to the harness..

the only possibly annoying bit is the wta pump. but seriously guys? youre all gonna run screaming from something like that?

whereas the 4th Gen is a whole lot more wiring. which is either a significant time investment or an extra expense to get it done professionally

--------------------
post Aug 24, 2016 - 7:30 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

ok so if I were to look into a 3rd gen swap, just the motor, ecu, and harness, how far more and where to find the rest of the accessories/sensors? i'm trying do this as headacheless as possible. my biggest issue is not the swap or the wiring, its more of nothing missing that would delay.

This post has been edited by trdproven: Aug 24, 2016 - 7:30 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Aug 25, 2016 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
DarkDeath

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 6, '13
From Toronto, Canada
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Aug 24, 2016 - 5:33 PM) *
QUOTE (DarkDeath @ Aug 25, 2016 - 12:17 AM) *

~DarkDeath

according to some forum sources and mywikimotors, it was a ct20b

I've also seen some sources say that it was a ct20b but I've always noticed the post was really old. I'm certain the gen4 comes with a CT15b unless there are variants? can someone confirm if there were? my sources are:

http://www.atsracing.net/Parts/Details/TUR-SWEET16
http://www.primemr2.com/store/p339/CT15_St...bo_Upgrade.html
http://www.mr2oc.com/61-3sgte-turbo/501322...b-vs-ct15b.html (he's saying he wants to upgrade to the ct20b or keep the stock ct15b on his gen4)

~DarkDeath

--------------------

September 2014 & July 2015 Celica of the Month
1995 Toyota "EnDeR" Celica GTS-T Gen4 3sgte swapped
[Instagram: @Ender_Celica]
post Aug 25, 2016 - 12:31 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Aug 24, 2016 - 8:30 PM) *
ok so if I were to look into a 3rd gen swap, just the motor, ecu, and harness, how far more and where to find the rest of the accessories/sensors? i'm trying do this as headacheless as possible. my biggest issue is not the swap or the wiring, its more of nothing missing that would delay.

You need the same basic stuff that your NA engine would need to run.

Ingition Coil
Igniter
Map Sensor
Fuel Injector resistor pack
ECU
Uncut wiring harness.

Sometimes the heat exchanger and water pump are missing from an engine set. You can ask your seller to see if he has those or source aftermarket parts.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Aug 25, 2016 - 1:19 PM
+Quote Post
mgnt232

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 16, '09
From New York
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Aug 24, 2016 - 8:07 AM) *

Good info, I never really knew the difference.
It's good to have more options

--------------------
I've spilt my heart into this car :) And I don't ever plan to stop

- 6GC for Life -
>Semper Fi<

1994 Cupra :p 3sgte
1995 Celica ST DD
1969 Chevelle SS

alllll balls. P2 approved!
post Aug 25, 2016 - 2:51 PM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Aug 24, 2016 - 8:30 PM) *

As enderswift said, Its literally 6 wires. make a small harness from your fuse box in the engine bay to the relay box about a foot away.

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Aug 25, 2016 - 4:59 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

what about like the bar map sensor, ignitor, etc? where did all this information on this forum and others say best to buy a clip cus it sounded like a lot of accessories? just trying to make this thread cleaner.

This post has been edited by trdproven: Aug 25, 2016 - 5:03 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Aug 25, 2016 - 6:28 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Any engine reseller who actually knows what they're doing will include a map sensor, ignitor, fusebox, and other parts that are needed for the swap (though they do charge a premium compared to stripped down 3rd gens).
The only thing that might not be included is the wta pump and heat exchanger but that's a non issue for most because they go front mount anyway...

here is a perfect 3rd gen engine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENGINE-JDM-3SGTE-2...JUa&vxp=mtr

The map is included, so is the injector resistor, fuel pump fuse box, ignitor...hell even the stock blow off valve, turbo intake, and chargecooler overflow are included. Nothing else would be needed to get this engine installed over a weekend.

So no, you don't need a clip to swap in a 3rd gen. You just have to find a quality seller.

here's another:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-99-TOYOTA-CELIC...NvU&vxp=mtr

As for where to get parts, here's a few links to good stores:

http://www.primemr2.com/store/c15/GEN3_Rep...e-Up_Parts.html
http://tcbparts.co.uk/
http://www.gt4-racing.eu/index.php/toyota-celica-st205
http://www.gt4-play.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/24_25_67

This post has been edited by enderswift: Aug 25, 2016 - 7:22 PM

--------------------
post Aug 27, 2016 - 8:57 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

I dont hate the 3sgte, but is there a reason why only a handful go V6, i mean smaay has got it down to a science. Cheap and affordable. I know this is off topic to the OP, but no one does.

The 2gr i know its expensive, but the hybrid smaay built seems awesome. and its certifiable in cali... my 0.02

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Aug 27, 2016 - 8:57 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

3rd gen uses 20b, manifold and turbo are seperate peices.
4th gen uses a one peice mainfold/turbo, usually called ct15.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 1:29 PM