6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> More Accurate and Complete Lighting Guide, Please Update the lighting info, Mods!
post Jan 24, 2010 - 4:47 AM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

Covers any differences between USDM and JDM Lighting and also additional that is not found on this site or Slyvania.com

You can also buy LED version bulbs, that can be found at two reputable sites that I know and they have good fitment, www.superbrightleds.com or www.v-leds.com.

Low beam headlamp

High beam headlamp

Parking light/Front Turn Signal/Taillight/Stop Light
1157 (Dual Filament)

Rear turn signal/Back Up Reverse Lights/
1156 (Single Filament)

High mount stop light

Fog/Driving light
H3-55W

License plate
168 (But use 194 as it is more common)

Front sidemarker/Rear Side Marker (Taillights)/Step Courtesy Light/General Gauge Cluster Instrument

Glove box/Smaller Gauge Cluster Instrument/Key Ring/Center Console/Climate Control

Map light
293 (More commonly known as BA9)

Trunk/Cargo area
194 (Pretty Certain it isn't the reg. 194 that is showing in Sylvania's website, but it is known as 3022 or 3175 <sure) there are two types 29mm and 31mm lengths, I've found that 31mm are a tad bit longer so I assume the 29mm one is exact version for our cars.
3022/3175

JAPAN SPEC DIFFERENCES

Low Beam (JDM)
H1 (Toyota OEM bulbs for the projector however, have claws around the bulb not illustrated in the pics)

Side Marker (JDM)

Front Parking Lights/Turn Signal

Stop/ Parking/Taillights
7443 (Dual Filament)

Rear Turn Signal/Back Up/Reverse Lights (JDM)
7440 (Single Filament)

This post has been edited by trdproven: Oct 23, 2011 - 10:49 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
|Work|Greddy|Samco|Project Mu|H&R|Gates|Moog|Rota|Yokohama|Epman|1320|Upgr8
04 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tein|BC Racing|Greddy|

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
post Oct 23, 2011 - 6:25 AM
+Quote Post
Spree

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '11
From West London
Currently Offline

There is more variation then this as every JDM car that I have seen uses 1156 for reverse and signal lights (front and back) and 1157 for the stop/tail lights.

I have not had a look at a late car that is factory fitted with projectors so maybe that is where the info you have comes from?

UK cars are different again from the US spec as the high level brake light uses a 1156 bulb in the annoying reverse polarity that LED bulbs are normally wired to... I find out little differences all the time!

This post has been edited by Spree: Oct 23, 2011 - 6:27 AM

--------------------
www.SpreeLED.com Facebook Youtube

SMD LED CONVERSIONS FOR ALL TOYOTA CELICA GEN 6 - DASH - COURTESY LIGHTS - SIDELIGHTS - LICENCE PLATE BULBS - BRAKE LIGHTS
post Oct 23, 2011 - 4:15 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

If that is true, lets update the differences. I have both the Japanese Spec and US Spec stuff so thats what I've listed. I have not heard any other differences from anyone. You are the first to say that there is a mix and match, post up pics if you got any.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Oct 23, 2011 - 5:21 PM
+Quote Post
Spree

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '11
From West London
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Oct 23, 2011 - 5:15 PM) *
If that is true, lets update the differences. I have both the Japanese Spec and US Spec stuff so thats what I've listed. I have not heard any other differences from anyone. You are the first to say that there is a mix and match, post up pics if you got any.

Thats surprising. Well it is true lol and yeah I can give you some pics. My 94' JDM ST205 WRC is sitting outside. I can deffo believe the random variation thing as I have just read over on GT4OC that some cars have 1157 bulbs as front indicators. Mine uses 1156 for sure.

UK cars have a different bulb setup again from US and JDM.

This post has been edited by Spree: Oct 23, 2011 - 5:21 PM

--------------------

SMD LED CONVERSIONS FOR ALL TOYOTA CELICA GEN 6 - DASH - COURTESY LIGHTS - SIDELIGHTS - LICENCE PLATE BULBS - BRAKE LIGHTS
post Oct 23, 2011 - 10:02 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

Let me know, for the sake of everyone, i'll update the thread and note the difference of your model.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Oct 24, 2011 - 5:25 AM
+Quote Post
Spree

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '11
From West London
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Oct 23, 2011 - 11:02 PM) *
Let me know, for the sake of everyone, i'll update the thread and note the difference of your model.

Well I can tell you it's 100% true as I have just developed my LED brake light set so I have been looking at rear cluster bulbs very carefully.

All of the gen 6's that I have seen have 1156 and 1157's and a quick trawl through the forums on GT4OC reveal that the only person that has posted anything about having anything different (quite a few references about 1156's and 1157's) is somebody who found he had a wedge type bulb for his rear indicators...but it doesn't help that most people just do not know what the bulbs are called so they ae not going to post it anywhere!

So this is why I am saying that maybe Toyota change the bulbs at the facelift point when they added the projector lights at the front. It does make sense to me as the rear clusters on my car seem to be leaking a little and if this happens then the spring rusts in the bulb holder causing issues!

Or maybe its just a real mix and match but in my experience the majority of JDM cars use 1156 and 1157's in the tails.

--------------------

post Oct 24, 2011 - 5:51 AM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

shouldnt make any difference then in this thread since 1156 and 1157 is already listed anyway. Thanks for the note though.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Oct 24, 2011 - 6:12 AM
+Quote Post
Spree

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '11
From West London
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Oct 24, 2011 - 6:51 AM) *
shouldnt make any difference then in this thread since 1156 and 1157 is already listed anyway. Thanks for the note though.

No new and exciting bulb types no...

But it should be noted that not all JDM models have the differences noted what you have put would lead you to believe as somebody could end up getting the wrong bulbs. Some people believe things as gospel once they have been written down in the lovely way that you have compiled it and don't get me wrong, I commend you for helping people with your lighting guide.

They could have changed the bulbs at the same time as adding the late spec rear light design actually, that could be the point.

I have already had one confusing conversation though on here with somebody else who was convinced that all JDM cars used 7440 and 7443 when this is clearly not the case and in fact, the majority, at least of the JDM cars that have been imported into the UK have 1156 and 1157 bulbs.

My car does not appear to have been modified by the importer that brought the car to the UK as you can spot that stuff a mile off..The rubbish fog light that was hanging down from the rear bumper being a prime example!

If they were that fussy and really new what they were doing then they would have converted the off side reversing light into a fog as I have now done as this i full compliant with UK regs and is a far neater solution.

Anyway, that's my input, I will get you a couple of photo's as I need to take some anyway. Keep up the good work!

--------------------

post Oct 24, 2011 - 3:15 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

I mean if you have anything i can update with thats good, I can be more specific, if not, the person could actually since they have to, remove their bulb anyways and compare here or read the bulb in their hand, but until we have proof, I would like to know for sure since no one else has ever noted this, not that you are lying but again we have to be sure. Reason I say so is 6gc.net has been around for a long time, and I've never read or heard about differences or mix and match between Europe, US, and Japan, probably the closest I can mention is that some say that the JDM tails can be used together with USDM harness but I don't know if thats plug n play still or requires modification, I had to use the JDM harness for my JDM tails, the USDM harness just had no way of fitting. I'd love to see any pics to show the differences because out of all the lighting guides even this, still no one has added to say that for example the UK has facelift JDM tails with 1156 or 1157 bulbs in it, which is like a USDM type harness bulbs with JDM tails. THe only thing i can think of either is that there is regular taillights (Non facelift models) and they use 1156 and 1157 no matter what, and the JDM facelift tails use 7443 and 7440. Cus remember in the US there were actually no facelift tails, they used the same tails all through the years and the harness and bulbs stayed the same with 1156 and 1157 so that could be what you are talking about and my thread info. still remains valid info. cus facelift taillights really did have the harness change, i think this is what you mean. So it may be more of a regular tails versus the facelift japan tails and not so much "region classifed by saying JDM". but idk the only way to know for sure is take a pic of your tails and then the bulbs and harness. if you have the regular tails meaning not the nice facelift version, thats the reason why i would think you have 1156 and 1157. and i see you have a 94 ST205 which means 1 you have the non facelift tails anyways and your harness would basically be like the USDM harness. Does that make sense?

thanks though, it does clarify the fact that it may be a difference really between two types of taillights and not so much area or region or overseas version.

This post has been edited by trdproven: Oct 24, 2011 - 3:22 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Oct 24, 2011 - 5:19 PM
+Quote Post
Spree

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '11
From West London
Currently Offline

I think it must be a facelift JDM tail thing as I have fitted the old style original pre facelift JDM clusters and the facelift style to my car but I bought the facelift style second hand and they could have come from a UK car.

This would make sense and be the cause of the confusion. So it is still a regional thing as the british car has the same design externally as the late JDM tales but different bulbs it would seem so it's not all nice and tidy for you! :-S

--------------------

post Oct 24, 2011 - 5:41 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

so you do have a facelift taillight with 1156 and 1157? Again that would be possible as some say the USDM harness fits but no one has really clarified it yet cus I don't know if it required modification. Can you take a pic of the JDM tails you mentionded that have the facelift ones and then the harness you were using for it and pics of the back of the taillight with the socket areas, this would solidify the answer, if not, we'll leave the info. as is. thanks.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Oct 24, 2011 - 6:07 PM
+Quote Post
Spree

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '11
From West London
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Oct 24, 2011 - 6:41 PM) *
so you do have a facelift taillight with 1156 and 1157? Again that would be possible as some say the USDM harness fits but no one has really clarified it yet cus I don't know if it required modification. Can you take a pic of the JDM tails you mentionded that have the facelift ones and then the harness you were using for it and pics of the back of the taillight with the socket areas, this would solidify the answer, if not, we'll leave the info. as is. thanks.

Lol you are very suspicious aren't you! Some people do talk nonsense though so I guess it's a good idea.

I don't have my late spec rears anymore but I am fitting my full LED brake upgrade to a UK spec car soon and he has UK late spec rears on his so I can take some photo's then.

I will give you some pictures of my old spec JDM tails soon when I get a spare moment. thumbsup.gif

I can 100% guarantee you though that the mythical creature that is the late spec style tail lamp does in fact exist with 1156 and 1157 fitting.

Here are a couple of photo's to wet your appetite and believe me I have way to little spare time tp be modifying any harnesses!

This post has been edited by Spree: Oct 24, 2011 - 6:18 PM

--------------------

post Oct 24, 2011 - 8:02 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

LOL not suspicious at all, some people modify, and some people have inaccurate information, and sometimes only because previous owners tampered with them. i just want proof not for me personally but for everyone only because it has not been mentioned before, so if you can provide pics of behind the taillights and the harness that'll be great. Between me and you, i just want to have a more complete and accurate list for everyone. But that is indeed facelift ones up there in the first pic and the regular style ones below. The best test is to look at the socket locations, and how it inserts or installs is the key, the notches in the twist socket, etc. it would be a good idea for those overseas in Europe to get this clarified, but lets just say we update the thread to say there can be a difference, i'd be stuck to say just look at the bulb and then it kinda defeats the purpose of this thread. Is there some way to distinguish your tailights that basically have USDM type harness and JDM taillights? I'm not sure how we can update this sticky and distinguish that fact, i need your help if you can find anything different, maybe certain models in different regions, a certain batch of celicas, certain options on a specific celica, etc. just to throw out some ideas. its not a rush or even necessary at all since it may take a lot of effort to find out, but if you get the chance, info. might help others, if not, this thread should suffice at least for those in the US region who are going from USDM to JDM facelift type tails. Thanks again for your info.

Is it me or does USDM tails have a smaller red lens at the corner of the tails and european ones are amber all the way to the corner or is it just my eyes?

This post has been edited by trdproven: Oct 24, 2011 - 8:09 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Nov 8, 2011 - 11:31 AM
+Quote Post
dudeofchaos

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 9, '08
From Blainville
Currently Offline

Anyone knows the bulb used on the side of the JDM projectors?
post Nov 8, 2011 - 6:09 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

^^ 194.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 12, 2011 - 8:41 AM
+Quote Post
Spree

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '11
From West London
Currently Offline

Hi mate,

Here is a quick image of my 94' JDM ST205's off side cluster with it's guts out...it's leaking and making the connectors rusty so I need to sort that. As you can see 1557 and 1156.

A customer of mine has a 97' JDM ST205 with facelift rears and his takes the 7443 and 7440 that you have specified. I am personally concluding that factory fit JDM facelift tail lights = the point when the new bulb type came in and am going to ask people to specify this when they order my LED brake bulb set.

--------------------

post Nov 12, 2011 - 9:30 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

sorry when I mean JDM, i meant the JDM Facelifts, in basic, the 1156 and 1157 type bulbs are all found in the non facelift (nice tailights), so thats the reason why you are seeing 1156 and 1157, its best if you have the ALL RED JDM Facelift version to doublecheck. the older style tails were found everywhere. again im not really sure though because how do those actually taillights look are they JDM facelift?

This post has been edited by trdproven: Nov 12, 2011 - 9:31 PM

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Nov 13, 2011 - 6:13 AM
+Quote Post
Spree

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '11
From West London
Currently Offline

QUOTE (trdproven @ Nov 12, 2011 - 9:30 PM) *
sorry when I mean JDM, i meant the JDM Facelifts, in basic, the 1156 and 1157 type bulbs are all found in the non facelift (nice tailights), so thats the reason why you are seeing 1156 and 1157, its best if you have the ALL RED JDM Facelift version to doublecheck. the older style tails were found everywhere. again im not really sure though because how do those actually taillights look are they JDM facelift?

Yes that is what I have been trying to say. That its confusing to just say JDM because it seems that the bulbs you have listed only apply to JDM FACELIFT cars with the new style cluster. The cluster in my picture with the bulbs out is the old style cluster.

Also the UK car uses the new style JDM cluster on the facelift cars but with 1156 and 1157 bulbs so its all rather complicated and I am just trying to add clarity and share the knowledge that I have acquired by fitting led bulbs to many Gen 6 Celica's.

There is also a change with the middle brake light on the JDM facelift car where it went from the 921 bulb to a 1156. This is what the UK version had fitted the whole time though... (head explodes lol)

Actually I need to go write all this stuff down properly myself!

--------------------

post Mar 13, 2012 - 5:19 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

what do you think, great alternative to hid???

http://www.finemotoring.com/

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Mar 14, 2012 - 6:44 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Spree @ Nov 13, 2011 - 9:13 PM) *
QUOTE (trdproven @ Nov 12, 2011 - 9:30 PM) *

Yes that is what I have been trying to say. That its confusing to just say JDM because it seems that the bulbs you have listed only apply to JDM FACELIFT cars with the new style cluster. The cluster in my picture with the bulbs out is the old style cluster.

Also the UK car uses the new style JDM cluster on the facelift cars but with 1156 and 1157 bulbs so its all rather complicated and I am just trying to add clarity and share the knowledge that I have acquired by fitting led bulbs to many Gen 6 Celica's.

There is also a change with the middle brake light on the JDM facelift car where it went from the 921 bulb to a 1156. This is what the UK version had fitted the whole time though... (head explodes lol)

Actually I need to go write all this stuff down properly myself!

its something i'd like to debunk myself for sure now that you bring it up. For the most part at least from pictures that when you take out the old one, you can match it to the picture here and use that bulb number to get it at any parts store. some might say but what if i want to buy the bulbs before removing the old one? well you have to take off the old one anyways, LOL. but then again i can reformat the whole post to show "ALL THE POSSIBLE BULBS" if that makes it easier or maybe more confusing? haha. I've had both USDM and JDM tails so i guess thats what I am going by for the rest of us. I know I got the USDM ones right, so what am i off in the JDM ones, are there overseas lights that look like facelift red out lights and use USDM bulbs? We'd all need to help each other to clarify that, but for the most part the list is accurate unless many people step up and say there is a difference but there doesn't seem to be many, which i hope the celicas didn't have defects? unlikely but possible. I'm stuck on that one But you make an good point and interesting as well to see that there are weird changes or no standardization. LOL. Send me more info.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
04 Celica GT

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:55 AM