> St205 CEL issues, Random CEL Diagnostic not working
post Nov 19, 2010 - 2:46 PM
+Quote Post
CDUB

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 6, '09
From AB, CANADA
Currently Offline

Okay start off the car is a94 st205 jap import with light mods. now my issue is that the Check Engine Light is illuminating after a few minutes of driving the car but i believe it shouldn't be flashing like it is and should come on permanently till the fault it fixed or the ecu is reset? My light will flash a random number of times then go off for a random period of time.(will flash once a second between 2-10times then go off for a random period of time)

Also, i know how to read the codes by bridgeing te1 and e1 in the diagnostics port but when i turn the ign to "on" the cel comes on then off after about 3 seconds like a normal start up.

The car is not acting any different with the light on or off as compared to the last 30XXXkm I've driven it.

The CEL only started happening since it got very cold here.

Anyone have insight on to why the CEL is flashing and not coming on permanently or why I am unable to retrieve codes.

I've tried just resetting the ecu a few times now but this issue is still around

If it helps i can get a video of the dash while I'm driving if anyone thinks it will help.

post Nov 19, 2010 - 3:03 PM
+Quote Post
salv

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 9, '10
From Kitchener, Ontario
Currently Offline

The flashing CEL light under diagnostics interprets the CEL code. It will flash in a sequence... Make a vid and maybe I can make out what CEL code it is? I have the 205 Engine manual.

--------------------
ST205 WRC
13.2 @103mph
post Nov 19, 2010 - 6:48 PM
+Quote Post
CDUB

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 6, '09
From AB, CANADA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (salv @ Nov 19, 2010 - 3:03 PM) *
The flashing CEL light under diagnostics interprets the CEL code. It will flash in a sequence... Make a vid and maybe I can make out what CEL code it is? I have the 205 Engine manual.

the thing is its not flashing when i bridge the diag pin its flashing while im driving. I was under the assumption it should just come on and stay lit if it detected a fault not flashing while Im driving like it is doing now. It also does'nt seem to be flashing any specific code but just comes on and flashes 2-6 times evenly spaced out then goes back off.
post Nov 20, 2010 - 1:45 AM
+Quote Post
96stgreendemon

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 7, '09
From Northern kentucky
Currently Offline

usually if its flashing while your driving its a misfire

--------------------
1996 Toyota Celica Project Mean Green
3RD Gen 3SGTE WRC Edition W/LSD E153 - Love BOOST <3

2001 Solar yellow Lexus IS300

2001 Dodge ram 1500 Off-road edition
post Nov 23, 2010 - 12:10 AM
+Quote Post
TEAMFaint

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 4, '06
From Medicine Hat, AB
Currently Offline

Happens to me too Curtis, something about these cars really hates how cold it gets here in Medicine Hat.
Randomly when I drive or start the car the CEL will come on, sometimes it doesnt come on at all.
Tried jumping to test as well and nothing comes up. Some sort of sensor isnt liking the weather, hard to find out which one though..

--------------------
current project: looking :(
post Nov 25, 2010 - 12:44 PM
+Quote Post
demonofsteel

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 18, '10
Currently Offline

My ST205 does the same thing sometimes. When it's cold outside and I push the car just a bit too much a few minutes after starting the car, I get a CEL light (which goes away as soon as I stop and restart the car).

If I wait about 5~10 minutes before pushing the car, I don't have the issue.

Since the CEL goes away by itself when I turn off and restart the car, I never bothered to check for a code (since I think I won't get anything at all).
post Nov 25, 2010 - 6:41 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

it's also happening with some local gt-fours here.. i bet it's the cold.

what kind of fuel are you guys running?

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post Nov 27, 2010 - 2:56 PM
+Quote Post
CDUB

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 6, '09
From AB, CANADA
Currently Offline

Well turns out my intercooler was slightly low, topped it up and properly bled it this time and CEL is gone and no trace of it in over a week now.

Noticed the connection between the CEL comming on at the same time the IC pump would start up. It must of been sucking the coolant down below the sensor, then coolant would slosh around intermittently closing the sensor.

For anyone else having this issue I would check the IC coolant level it will look full but when the pump comes on it actually sucks down quite a bit.

This post has been edited by CDUB: Nov 27, 2010 - 2:57 PM
post Nov 27, 2010 - 3:04 PM
+Quote Post
black13

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 11, '06
From calgary
Currently Offline

Mine comes on as well in colder than -15c or so weather after a couple min of driving but it constantly stays on till car is re-started.

QUOTE (CDUB @ Nov 27, 2010 - 1:56 PM) *
Well turns out my intercooler was slightly low, topped it up and properly bled it this time and CEL is gone and no trace of it in over a week now.

Noticed the connection between the CEL comming on at the same time the IC pump would start up. It must of been sucking the coolant down below the sensor, then coolant would slosh around intermittently closing the sensor.

For anyone else having this issue I would check the IC coolant level it will look full but when the pump comes on it actually sucks down quite a bit.

Do you check the level when the engine is running then? and did you use the pink coolant stuff from Toyota?
post Nov 27, 2010 - 3:18 PM
+Quote Post
CDUB

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 6, '09
From AB, CANADA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (black13 @ Nov 27, 2010 - 4:04 PM) *
Mine comes on as well in colder than -15c or so weather after a couple min of driving but it constantly stays on till car is re-started.

QUOTE (CDUB @ Nov 27, 2010 - 1:56 PM) *

Do you check the level when the engine is running then? and did you use the pink coolant stuff from Toyota?

Ya to properly fill up the Intercooler the motor has to be running. Top it up, then you have to blip the throttle (i just used the TB in the engine bay) as I know now that the IC pump only comes on when the throttle is open and for 30sec after so every 20 sec or so just blip the throttle again to keep the pump going. You should watch the coolant get sucked down a tiny amount top it off and keep the pump going for a couple mins then throw the cap on while the pump is still active.

I never did this last winter and just topped the IC off with the motor running assuming the pump ran all the time leading to my problems.

I use toyota red "for life" coolant...

This post has been edited by CDUB: Nov 27, 2010 - 3:20 PM
post Jan 24, 2011 - 11:40 PM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

QUOTE (CDUB @ Nov 28, 2010 - 8:18 AM) *
Ya to properly fill up the Intercooler the motor has to be running. Top it up, then you have to blip the throttle (i just used the TB in the engine bay) as I know now that the IC pump only comes on when the throttle is open and for 30sec after so every 20 sec or so just blip the throttle again to keep the pump going. You should watch the coolant get sucked down a tiny amount top it off and keep the pump going for a couple mins then throw the cap on while the pump is still active.

I never did this last winter and just topped the IC off with the motor running assuming the pump ran all the time leading to my problems.

this is the correct way to do it. its worked for me in the past, but now i cant get rid of that damn code 54 and cel light. i'm thinking of just cutting the wires out and shorting them together, is this how you do it? or do u need a resistor?

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Jan 25, 2011 - 7:15 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE (delusionz @ Jan 24, 2011 - 11:40 PM) *
QUOTE (CDUB @ Nov 28, 2010 - 8:18 AM) *

this is the correct way to do it. its worked for me in the past, but now i cant get rid of that damn code 54 and cel light. i'm thinking of just cutting the wires out and shorting them together, is this how you do it? or do u need a resistor?

for the level sensor, you just bridge the 2 wires.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Jan 28, 2011 - 7:17 PM
+Quote Post
nammer

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 22, '07
From Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Currently Offline

QUOTE (CDUB @ Nov 27, 2010 - 12:18 PM) *

sweet...I didn't know that there was a proper way to do it lol..I should flush mine out...some people recommend cleaning the W2A intercooler with gasoline to rid it of debris...is it necessary?

--------------------
post Nov 19, 2011 - 3:30 PM
+Quote Post
94_gt4

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 27, '11
From calgary
Currently Offline

BUMP!! im in calgary and since its been getting colder im getting a random CEL as well. any fix for this yet that any of you found?
post Nov 19, 2011 - 4:51 PM
+Quote Post
ST205WRC

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 30, '10
From amarillo texas
Currently Offline

there is an easier way to do it then using the throttle. if you pull the top plastic cover off of the IC relay and just use a screwdriver to push the contacts together. that way u dont have to keep hitting the throttle and can fill it up with the engine off.
post Dec 1, 2014 - 3:36 PM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

Bump!

We just got our first frosty night here in Vancouver over the past few nights (below freezing), and my CEL light is popping on after I start driving the car. I usually let the car run for a minute or two before I start driving, but I'll be investigating more into the matter.

The CEL does not flash, and stays on for the duration of the drive. It does not light up immediately after I start up the car, only after I start driving it when the engine is cold.

Hope I can contribute to this thread!
post Jan 12, 2015 - 2:08 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

what code is it giving you?

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Jan 12, 2015 - 5:13 PM
+Quote Post
Jeebus

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 21, '13
From YYC
Currently Offline

It was 54.

I reset the ECU, and a couple weeks later it popped up again. The intercooler level had dropped a little bit from the cap, so I topped it up and reset the ECU again.

Unfortunately my clutch blew out before the New Year, so I haven't been driving for a bit to see if this error code pops up again. Perhaps it was a faulty sensor, maybe my radiator is starting to leak (no stains under the car), but I won't know for sure until I get the car moving again to see whether the error code pops up again.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:35 PM