6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I am just going to run low boost. . . yea right!, A warning for anyone who wants to boost a 5sfe
post Nov 17, 2016 - 10:00 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I have everything hooked up and the car will not start, I just hear one click from the fuel pump relay then nothing. Also, my stereo and my aftermarket gauges to not turn on when I turn the key to on (they are wired together). I am banging my head against the wall on this one! mad.gif I have tested the battery and it reads 12V and when I attempted to jump the car the same thing happened. Does anyone have any ideas?

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Nov 17, 2016 - 10:45 PM
post Nov 18, 2016 - 5:31 PM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

If it won't even crank, something is not getting the power. Starter is on an almost completely separate circuit from the ECU, so the car should crank under almost any condition so long as it's getting power. It may not start for many reasons, but it should at least crank.

Get your multimeter out and start tracing wires. Check fuses for accessories, maybe something is shorting somewhere. Check accessory power. Check whether starter relay is getting power, check Neutral Safety Switch, check power to starter.

Once you've traced where the power stops, remedy and try again. Don't rule out loose connectors or even ones that may not have been plugged in.

It's annoying, but not unsolvable.

This post has been edited by slavie: Nov 18, 2016 - 5:32 PM
post Nov 18, 2016 - 9:40 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Does everything work inside the car besides the gauges and radio?

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 19, 2016 - 10:12 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Nov 18, 2016 - 10:40 PM) *
Does everything work inside the car besides the gauges and radio?

I just checked, none of the warning dash lights come on when I turn the key and the AC vents won't turn on. The only think that works are the car's interior are the dash lights and the hazard light button. I checked all the fuses under the hood and in the driver side kick panel and they all tested fine. I combed through some wiring diagrams and it seems like everything that stopped working is hooked to some type of switched power source.

This looks like it may be the ignition switch. Am I on the right track? What is weird is that the car started fine when I pulled the 5sfte. Can an ignition switch go bad from an engine swap?

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Nov 19, 2016 - 10:16 AM
post Nov 19, 2016 - 10:27 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I replaced the ignition switch and starter relay, still nothing. I started to think maybe it was the kill switch on the alarm so I checked it out and that is not the case. At this point I started going around the car with a multimeter. It is weird, I am getting power on all fuses except, on the AM1 and CIG&RAD. The ST and IGN fuses get power when I turn the key the appropriate position. Also, the ECU B+ (12V switched) pinout is not seeing power when the key is turned but the BATT pinout is seeing power. This sounds like something is wrong with my switched 12V power. I need to test the 100A ALT fuse because that feeds the AM1 but that one is a pain in the butt to test since it is screwed into the fuse box.

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Nov 19, 2016 - 10:28 PM
post Nov 20, 2016 - 3:19 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

After testing wires then looking at wiring diagrams, testing wires then looking at wiring diagrams, testing wires then looking at wiring diagrams . . . . . . , testing wires then looking at wiring diagrams I found the main engine relay to be the culprit. I replaced the relay plugged everything up and SUCCESS! WOO HOO! The 3sgte came to life! I still have to put the rest of the car back together but for now, the engine runs. I will post a video once I get the car all back together and off of jack stands. Thanks for all the pointers everyone has provided.
post Nov 20, 2016 - 6:25 PM
+Quote Post
xman92

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 28, '12
From nj
Currently Offline

Like a soap opera. Can't wait for the next episode. Great Job..
post Nov 23, 2016 - 2:09 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I have finally gotten the car completely back together. To finish off the build, I had a local machine shop cut, shorten, and solder my throttle cable. This evening I started the engine, topped off the fluids, and let the car get up to temperature. When I did that I found 2 problems. The oil pan plug has a slow leak. It looks like I will need a new crush washer and some teflon tape. The other issue is the fuel filter has a small leak. The leaks is not very fast but I have a new filter on order and I will not drive the car until I get the leak fixed (I do not want another engine bay fire).

I am also noticing the clutch feels a lot harder than before and I stalled the engine twice backing it out of the driveway. I am guessing the pedal stiffness is the new Exedy pressure plate I have paired with my SPEC stage 2 clutch. I am really excited to drive the car, see how it feels, and revs with the new lightweight flywheel. More to come once I test drive the car. Here is picture of the engine completely back together in the car.
post Nov 29, 2016 - 11:00 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I have been driving the car for the last few days to and from work and everything is working very well. The only issue I am having is that the car won't boost past 7-8 psi. I reached out to MR2 PRIME and the said that was the stock wastegate pressure and I need to add a boost controller. I checked the wastegate before I put the engine in the car and it opened at 7 psi like it is supposed to. I thought the turbo vsv would turn the boost up to 13-14 psi in 3rd gear and higher. This must mean my turbo vsv is not working properly. Does anyone know how to check it or does it just not work in a swapped car? The part number for the turbo vsv is 90910-12114.
post Dec 2, 2016 - 12:06 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

Here are some pics of the car with the 4th gen 3sgte. It is running like a dream.

Giving props to PRIME MR2, those guys helped me out a lot over the phone and I bought a lot of parts from them. biggrin.gif

The FMIC give the car a nice smile! smile.gif

My Magnaflow 2.5 inch exhaust.

Boost on the steering column, water temp, oil pressure, and air/fuel ratio on the pillar.
post Dec 2, 2016 - 12:51 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Looks awesome, glad you get it running right!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Dec 2, 2016 - 1:59 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

Here is a video walk around. ENJOY!
https://youtu.be/dO9D_1jgr7U
post Dec 3, 2016 - 4:03 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

I just went out for a little bit of spirited driving and OH MAN! This engine is crazy! biggrin.gif I am only running 7-8 psi (stock wastegate pressure) and the car keeps breaking loose the front tires, especially in turns. I think part of it is the MR2 LSD I have in the S54 tranny because soon as the boost hits 5-7 psi I feel the tires give a little bit. This engine is awesome! I am afraid to turn the boost up to 15 psi where I want it to be. I guess it is time to save for some better tires.
post Dec 3, 2016 - 4:53 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

QUOTE (HardHead93 @ Dec 3, 2016 - 3:03 PM) *
I am afraid to turn the boost up to 15 psi where I want it to be.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Dec 4, 2016 - 3:56 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

Haha! I just turned the boost up to 12 psi today. Whoa! I am loving it. The CT15B turbo boost comes on fast and I like it. The only thing is that it shoots up to 12 real quick then levels off at 10 once I get to 5K RPM. I will play with the boost controller to get it set right at 15 psi.
post Dec 10, 2016 - 10:09 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

Within the last few days I started getting a whine from the car whenever I push the clutch in but it goes away as soon as the clutch is fully engaged or fully disenaged. It even happens if I ride the clutch without fully disengaging it. Everything is pointing to the throw out bearing. mad.gif CRAP! I just got the car all back together and now this. The sad thing is that this is a fairly new throwout bearing that came with my SPEC stage 2 clutch. If I had to guess, there is less than 2000 miles on this throwout bearing. Is the throwout bearing going bad or is it just going to make that noise because it is not an OEM part?
post Dec 12, 2016 - 10:45 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (HardHead93 @ Dec 10, 2016 - 11:09 PM) *
Within the last few days I started getting a whine from the car whenever I push the clutch in but it goes away as soon as the clutch is fully engaged or fully disenaged. It even happens if I ride the clutch without fully disengaging it. Everything is pointing to the throw out bearing. mad.gif CRAP! I just got the car all back together and now this. The sad thing is that this is a fairly new throwout bearing that came with my SPEC stage 2 clutch. If I had to guess, there is less than 2000 miles on this throwout bearing. Is the throwout bearing going bad or is it just going to make that noise because it is not an OEM part?

It looks like I will be dropping the tranny and replacing the throw out bearing and applying grease. That should correct the problem. I will be documenting the work in the following thread:
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...p;#entry1087219
post Dec 13, 2016 - 1:52 PM
+Quote Post
DarkDeath

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 6, '13
From Toronto, Canada
Currently Offline

QUOTE (HardHead93 @ Dec 4, 2016 - 3:56 PM) *
Haha! I just turned the boost up to 12 psi today. Whoa! I am loving it. The CT15B turbo boost comes on fast and I like it. The only thing is that it shoots up to 12 real quick then levels off at 10 once I get to 5K RPM. I will play with the boost controller to get it set right at 15 psi.

Let me know how it goes when you raise it to 15! I plan to be around 15 to 17 (peak) so I'm curious as well hahaha. Great stuff so far man, hopefully all the other kinks will wear off soon!

Cheers

--------------------

September 2014 & July 2015 Celica of the Month
1995 Toyota "EnDeR" Celica GTS-T Gen4 3sgte swapped
[Instagram: @Ender_Celica]
post Dec 27, 2016 - 2:02 AM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

QUOTE (DarkDeath @ Dec 13, 2016 - 2:52 PM) *
QUOTE (HardHead93 @ Dec 4, 2016 - 3:56 PM) *

Let me know how it goes when you raise it to 15! I plan to be around 15 to 17 (peak) so I'm curious as well hahaha. Great stuff so far man, hopefully all the other kinks will wear off soon!

Cheers

I have raised the boost to 15 psi and holy crap! The car pulls like crazy! Even with the LSD in the tranny, I get a little bit a torque steer. I am loving the way the car feels and I cannot wait to take it out to the track.
post Dec 31, 2016 - 8:33 PM
+Quote Post
HardHead93

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 7, '15
From New Mexico
Currently Offline

And the saga continues. . . . . mad.gif

I was struggling with some engine heat problems with my 3sgte. The engine would run fine but any long stretches on the highway would cause engine temps to rise, not overheat but get a little warmer than I would like to see (around 215 F). I was scratching my head on this one so I changed out the thermostat (even though he one on the engine was brand new), went from my 2 row radiator back to a stock one, and put the stock radiator fans back on (I was using an aftermarket shroud and fans before). Then the problem went away. The car ran fine and temps would bounce between 195 and 205 F. I made all those changes about a week ago.

Fast forward to yesterday and I had the intercooler coupler close to the turbo pop off after a hard pull. I thought, no biggie, it has happened to me before. I replaced the T-clamp and everything was fine. The interesting thing was when the intercooler pipe came loose, it sprayed oil all throughout the engine bay. At first I thought the turbo seals were leaking but after taking a look inside the intake, I found it to be blow by from the crankcase vent routing back to the intake. I ordered a catch can last night and thought that was all I would need.

Then today, I decided to take the car for a spin on a couple back roads. I did a couple short pulls and the car was doing great for a while. Then the engine temps started to rise like the problem I was having before. I turned the heat on full blast and it helped. As I turned around to take the car home, then engine started knocking. Crap! I have heard that sound before on my 5sfte. The knock quickly turned to a banging and then I pulled over and cut the motor.

I think I got a bad 4th gen 3sgte (bad head gasket and worn piston rings). I was only running 14 psi and when the car started overheating and knocking. I wasn't in boost and I have put a total of 1000k miles on this motor since the swap (did my first oil change at 500 miles to make sure any crap that had settled in the motor was out). Also, the engine has a 7k RPM redline and I never went over 6k on the rpms. I am so frustrated with my 6th gen Celica. I feel like I am at a crossroads here with this car. I am thinking of going one of 4 ways:

1. I have an e-mail out to the company that sold me this motor because it is BS that this motor died so fast. I am hoping they will be able to work something out to get me another motor or refund.
2. If #1 does not work, after a little bit of a break, I am thinking of rebuilding the motor with all forged internals and ARP head stuts so I will never have to worry about rod knock again. I still have my 5s block so maybe a 5sgte????
3. Or if I do not feel up to doing #2, get another 3sgte and swap the wiring over.
4. Last choice is to sell the car as is. Someone else can get a 4th gen 3sgte, swap over the wiring and have a good running car with some decent supporting mods.

Let me know what you guys think. Oh yeah and Happy New Year! kindasad.gif

This post has been edited by HardHead93: Dec 31, 2016 - 8:34 PM

11 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:40 AM