> highOSilver Build Thread, Back from the dead
post Jun 9, 2017 - 2:39 PM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Time for a build thread, and it begins with a car that was previously in the group http://www.6gc.net/celicas/1994-gt-hatchback-4796 "CilverSeliST205" I'll start with what was previously listed and go from there.

This is what it looked like in it's heyday...

Peformance
Gen 3 3S-GTE
E153 Transmission
Precision FMIC
Greddy Type S BOV
3" XS Power Downpipe
TRD oil & radiator caps (performance)

Suspension
Suspension Techniques Lowering Springs

Exterior
Face lift bumper cover swap
Side Skirts installed, missing driver's side at the moment
JDM Tails

Interior
Alpine CDA-7995 Head Unit *getting replaced with a double din
MB Quart Component Set *getting replaced with Polk front and rear
Alpine MRV-450 Amp
Kicker 12" Solobaric in Custom Box Built in trunk area
Autometer Boost Gauge
Autometer A/F Gauge
Momo Shiftknob *getting replace as it's a dorky one that I hate

And here is what it looked like when I offloaded it at my house...

Just chilling with my 99

From there it was time to start making a plan,. step 1 get it streetable again. When I picked it up there were no spark plugs in it, so when I turned it over I caught the hood liner on fire.

New Parts:
NGK BKR7E Plugs
Oil Filter
New Belts
Optima Red Top Battery

Turned the key, and it started right up. It runs like it's been sitting for a while, and the gas is going bad, but it runs. Next, it was time to start working on the looks of this thing. I scoured the internet and found these... (actually I found them before buying highOSilver thinking I would put them on my black 99)

Toyota Caldina wheels, or Toyota Matrix M-Theory Wheels (17x7)

More New Parts:
Riken Raptor ZR 215/45R17 Wheels
+15mm Wheel Spacers
R1 Concepts Eline Series Black Drilled Slotted Rotors & Ceramic Pads

So, now it runs, has better looking wheels, and should stop better, so I picked up some color to refurbish the brake calipers and mounts as well as some parts here and there under the hood.

Well at this point, I had decided that the spending was just going to continue, so I started emailing around for sponsors, as I plan to autocross this car in addition to shows.

Welcome to Team Mishimoto, and a great discount on a performance aluminum radiator.

I'm also now being sponsored by Borla and ordered a Borla ProXS #40359 3" Stainless Steel muffler to go with the new 3" exhaust I'm going to install.

This weekend, I will be upgrading the brakes, painting the calipers and mounting brackets, installing my wheel spacers and wheels. I'm also heading out to my brothers shop to pickup a bunch of parts I have stored, so it's getting a newer face-lift bumper cover, probably a new side skirt for the driver's side, still debating on a black leather interior swap and grabbing a bunch of other odds and ends from other cars I've parted out over the years.

I'm planning to take before and after pics for the work I'm doing on this and will be updating it here! Stay tuned for more.

post Jun 9, 2017 - 3:47 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

*Pulls up recliner and popcorn*

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 14, 2017 - 10:48 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

I can finally start getting to work on highOSilver, these showed up today.

I've also started an IG account for highOSilver, @highOSilver94

I can now paint my calipers, and mounts, install my new rotors, wheel spacers, and wheels. More pics to come....
post Jun 14, 2017 - 10:50 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

boo

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jun 15, 2017 - 9:00 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Been putting in work, got the front brakes installed, wheel spacers, and wheels installed too. Started to work on the rear and the calipers are badly seized, so once my parts arrive later, I'll be back at it today.

Obviously I should have painted the dust shields too, but I was thinking I would replace them. Now that I've thought about it, I'm going to pull the wheels when I get the time and paint them as well.

Here is a nice side by side of the factory wheels compared to the new Caldina wheels. I am loving the look of these wheels on my car, though this brake job is getting pretty expensive.

The new Mishimoto Radiator is supposed to arrive tomorrow, so I'll be starting to clean up under the hood next. I'm also hoping to get it to the exhaust shop tomorrow to get the Borla muffler installed.
post Jun 15, 2017 - 5:25 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Slowly but surely. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 17, 2017 - 2:56 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Check your Mishimoto radiator very carefully before accepting it, i had one sent over and the welding was shocking, it also had partially blocked waterways, although Mishimoto were very good and replaced it and i got a few stickers and an inflateable penguin too smile.gif the second radiator was much better, but still some of the weld has encroached into the waterways, but not as much as before.

--------------------
My Facebook GT4 Build page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GT4Rebuild
post Jun 19, 2017 - 9:03 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Nial @ Jun 17, 2017 - 3:56 AM) *
Check your Mishimoto radiator very carefully before accepting it, i had one sent over and the welding was shocking, it also had partially blocked waterways, although Mishimoto were very good and replaced it and i got a few stickers and an inflateable penguin too smile.gif the second radiator was much better, but still some of the weld has encroached into the waterways, but not as much as before.

I'll take a close look at it tonight then, and make sure it's done well. Thanks for the heads-up.
post Jun 19, 2017 - 3:19 PM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Well, while installing the new rear calipers and bleeding the lines I discovered that one of my lines is blown out. Since I was planning to send it out to have the exhaust done this week, I would have the muffler shop go ahead and just replace the brake lines while they were under the car.

All loaded up and off to the shop... Ignore the rusty door, and missing side skirt both are getting replaced this weekend.

Shortly after it got dropped off at my local shop I got a call from the manager. Apparently, since it doesn't have a catalytic converter they will not touch the exhaust, even though last week they said it wouldn't be an issue. Also, there are *line locks installed on the brake lines, and because of liability they will not be able to replace my brake line either.

Long story long, I'm now planning to have it towed from there over to the "Tuner Shop" down the street that does all kinds of custom work. Hopefully they are willing to bend the piece of exhaust I need so I can install the muffler. If they aren't willing to do the brake line, I will just cut it, flare it and install a new line myself.

*Who the hell installs line locks on a FWD car?
post Jun 19, 2017 - 5:48 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Are the line locks at least for the rear brakes? laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jun 19, 2017 - 5:58 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

One thing I absolutely cannot stand is being lied to, and it sounds like they're just making things up to get out of working on your car. I would check on that line lock just for the sake of being able to yell at that shop about how incompetent they are, and still carry on your current path of having it taken somewhere else.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jun 19, 2017 - 6:24 PM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Jun 19, 2017 - 5:48 PM) *
Are the line locks at least for the rear brakes? laugh.gif

I have to check in the morning, god only knows, but I assume so.

The new shop I'm working with is much more of a hot rod and tuner shop. They're members of a local car club, and host car shows. They've even been helping tune a Supra that's in one of my other clubs. Currently they're working on adding a Dyno which will be awesome. The owner told me today they would do anything I want to pay for.
post Jun 19, 2017 - 6:57 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Glad to hear you found a good shop.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 6, 2017 - 10:04 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Just a little update, while I've been waiting on my exhaust to be installed, a process I expected to take a couple of days but has taken a couple of weeks, I've been working on a few other odds and ends.

Recently I picked this up along with a few other 6gc parts, and decided it needed to be resprayed.

It had some surface rust, and a couple of scratches...

- Rusty was ready to help.

So, I sanded it down, and used some Duplicolor Filler Primer,.

Followed by Duplicolor BTY1614 Phantom Grey Pearl (1E3) Toyota Exact-Match Paint

I'm quite impressed by how this turned out, I'll be painting a bunch of other stuff in the coming weeks, this was just to keep my busy while the car was gone.

post Jul 6, 2017 - 10:08 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

I've also been wasting time washing a couple of the other 6gcs currently in my driveway/yard.

post Jul 10, 2017 - 10:46 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy....

Projectors on the way, and a Tom's lip. Both need work, especially the Tom's lip that has been cut in half and was damaged before I purchased it. So, I'll be redoing it completely.

Now, if I ever get it back from the shop, I'll have even more to do.
post Jul 12, 2017 - 10:00 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Finally picked up highOSilver yesterday after getting the exhaust installed, and the brake lines repaired that blew out under the driver's seat. The sound is incredible.

Youtube highOSilver Exhaust Video

Also had a chance to finally drive it and do a nice shakedown test.

Radiator fan not working (replacing radiator and fans so no big deal)
Steering has some issues (going for alignment, and to having all parts inspected)
Clutch is slipping under heavy acceleration (emailing South Bend)
Driver's axle might need to be replaced (clicking a bit going around turns)

On to ordering more stuff, and now I can finally install the spare bedroom full of parts I've been collecting while it was at the shop.
post Jul 26, 2017 - 1:39 PM
+Quote Post
ClevelandGaint

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 12, '13
From Cleveland
Currently Offline

Loving this Build thread!
post Aug 25, 2017 - 9:50 AM
+Quote Post
sandusky1977

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 3, '10
From Lansing, MI
Currently Offline

Just an update, feel like I was making quick progress then fell off the planet.

After getting the car back from having the exhaust installed, it ran out of gas in my driveway. So, I dumped in what I had and started it up. Drove it to the gas station and filled the tank. After the drive around the block I parked her thinking I would get back to the next project in a day or so. When I came back out the next day I noticed the smell of fuel but it didn't click as to what might be causing it. If anything I was thinking I was smelling the excess gas that I spilled on the ground when I was dumping some in to get to the gas station.

Fast forward a few days, I was going to move the car and I could again smell a strong gas smell, I look below the car to see a waterfall of fuel running off the bottom of the car.

The fuel return line was leaking right behind the last plastic clip that holds them up to the body, so I spliced it out, went and got a slightly longer fuel line hose and extended the rubber hose. Started the car and fuel was still running everywhere. Well, this put a damper on things, as at this point I was going to need to drop the fuel tank and run new lines from the pump down. A week passed, then two, I was camping back to back weekends and just couldn't get to the project.

Finally last weekend,...

Dropped the tank down a bit, ran a new line down from the pump and put almost everything back together. While unhooking the filler neck and vent tube I realized the vent tube had broken off at the rubber hose. So, for now, I've run an extended bit of 5/8 fuel line for the vent tube. When I get to my brother's house next, I'll grab a clean filler neck from my parts bin.

It's now no longer leaking fuel. I picked up the wiring and relay to hopefully fix the radiator fans this weekend. I figured worst case I can run all new wiring if I have to. Goal for now is to get it buttoned up enough to drive to and from work for the week next week. If that goes well, I will be trying to drive this from Ann Arbor, Michigan to Southeastern Ohio for a show the following weekend. If not, I may just load it on behind the 4Runner and take both to the show.
post Aug 25, 2017 - 6:40 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Leaking fuel is never fun. Best of luck in getting the fans working again. If I recall correctly there's a sensor in the bottom of the radiator that determines when the fans kick on and off, so might look into that if the wiring and relay doesn't do it.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:47 AM