6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Upgraded Suspension Bushings, front control arm and rear trailing/adjustment arm bushings
post Feb 25, 2010 - 5:09 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (OOBE @ Feb 25, 2010 - 4:09 PM) *
Well, that's nice that you come forward with this after I spent almost $400 shipped for mine. laugh.gif

lol, sorry about that, been focused on the rims I was doing, now that suspension is this weekend, i started to troll these forums =P
post Feb 26, 2010 - 1:13 AM
+Quote Post
cjh4l22

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 18, '06
From cincinnati
Currently Offline

nice! might have to do this with my suspension upgrades (coilovers, strut & sway bars)

--------------------
proud =3sgte SWAPPED= '95 Celica ST owner [calling it the GT2 or half-trac]
309,000 miles n' .... dead-> ALIVE AGAIN!! ~14,000 miles driven
post Mar 29, 2010 - 4:53 AM
+Quote Post
Samflint1

Enthusiast

Joined Nov 7, '09
From Cambridge
Currently Offline

I have bought a set of these bushes for my celica and a couple of them i am having trouble fitting. I cant seem to get the 8" bolt out that goes through the rear hub and its totally jammed in place. Were yours stuck or do you have any suggestions for their removal? I cant get the control arms off at all either :S. Atleast i have fitted 6 out of 12 bushes which has stopped the majority of the suspension knocking smile.gif
post Mar 29, 2010 - 7:39 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Samflint1 @ Mar 29, 2010 - 4:53 AM) *
I have bought a set of these bushes for my celica and a couple of them i am having trouble fitting. I cant seem to get the 8" bolt out that goes through the rear hub and its totally jammed in place. Were yours stuck or do you have any suggestions for their removal? I cant get the control arms off at all either :S. Atleast i have fitted 6 out of 12 bushes which has stopped the majority of the suspension knocking smile.gif

use a jack to support the knuckle and take off the pressure, it should make taking the bolt out much easier. or long flat head screw driver/ tap and a hammer with a couple taps always works too.
post Mar 30, 2010 - 6:53 AM
+Quote Post
Samflint1

Enthusiast

Joined Nov 7, '09
From Cambridge
Currently Offline

QUOTE (playr158 @ Mar 29, 2010 - 8:39 AM) *
QUOTE (Samflint1 @ Mar 29, 2010 - 4:53 AM) *

use a jack to support the knuckle and take off the pressure, it should make taking the bolt out much easier. or long flat head screw driver/ tap and a hammer with a couple taps always works too.

When I took the car apart i actually took the rear beam off totally and just had the tracking rods loose. I tried using a blow lamp and a breakers bar but to no avail. I could use oxy acetylene kit but im worried about changing the properties of the metal so much that is could fail. Can i do this?
post Mar 30, 2010 - 4:32 PM
+Quote Post
hurley97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '04
From Portsmouth, RI
Currently Offline

Yes, mine were stuck. You have to take a torch or something and heat the hell out of it for like 15 mins... literally.

--------------------
7A-FTE: It's not about the money. Our Beams Swap.

I <3 Dustin---07/16/06
post Jun 16, 2010 - 11:47 PM
+Quote Post
CanadaCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 24, '04
From Kitchener, Ontario
Currently Offline

Hi everyone,

This weekend I am hoping to join all of you who have installed these poly bushings smile.gif

But before I start I need a little direction.
This might be a dumb question, for those who have installed these using a at home vice. Is this one big enough?

I ask since I am not sure how much leverage is required to squeeze them in.
Did you use anything to help with pushing the bushing all the way through the arm? eg wood with a hole cut out to buffer the arm as the bushing slides through.

Last question I noticed that the larger of the rear bushings have a different end between the left and the right side.

Is there one way over the other that I should install into the arm.

Thanks guys for any help you can offer me here.
post Jun 17, 2010 - 6:02 PM
+Quote Post
azian_advanced

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 18, '05
From Calgary
Currently Offline

one thing i know for sure is that the GT-S came with sport suspension and so the rear bushings for the lateral control arms are larger than regular ST and non-sport-suspension GT by about a 1/4" in diameter. so you might have a poly bushing too small for the control arm.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
post Jun 18, 2010 - 10:05 AM
+Quote Post
CanadaCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 24, '04
From Kitchener, Ontario
Currently Offline

Azian no, you are not supposed to tell me these things.

Ok hopefully that's not correct but for some reason i think it might be... frown.gif

So I was able to get an early start to my weekend.
Some pics of my encounters from last night.

This is how the lateral arms look normally.

After I burned off the rubber boot and then comparing to the bushing sent from Paul.

One thing I did not expect is what looks like solid metal around the inner collar!
Is this what needs to be pressed out? Did everyone else who has finished this install come across the same situation?
I am a little worried that I just screwed myself here! Arg....

Well any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
post Jun 18, 2010 - 10:08 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

I've never done this so I'm not sure, but I think that part has to be pressed out indeed.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jun 18, 2010 - 1:37 PM
+Quote Post
garin

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 12, '07
From Lancaster, Pa
Currently Offline

QUOTE (hurley97 @ Jan 14, 2010 - 10:28 PM) *
I used to take 30mph curved exit ramps at 75-80mph and be scared, hovering my foot over the brake pedal just in case I needed it. Now, I have complete confidence in my 80mph exit ramp and speed up the whole way through. So far so good biggrin.gif

(I really am not that much of a manic though... not all the time anyway)

laugh.gif

--------------------
post Jun 18, 2010 - 3:29 PM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

i went 80 in a 35 before, i only did it once in my life because my friend that was following told me my back tire came off the ground about 2 inches, and let me tell u i was shaking in my boots lol never again.

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Jun 18, 2010 - 3:55 PM
+Quote Post
CanadaCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 24, '04
From Kitchener, Ontario
Currently Offline

Well some good news and some bad.
The good is that the bushings fit into the control arms. Ended up taking them to a shop and surely pressed out the old and then pressed the new poly ones in. So I am happy about that.

Bad news, I can't for the life of me get the 8" bolt out. I tried the same tactics as Samflint1 and no luck. As well from whalen on the bolt for so long it was starting to mushroom at the end. So I will be taking the celi to a shop where they can use a hotter acetylene torch to loosen them.
post Aug 1, 2010 - 2:20 PM
+Quote Post
dubb_head

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 8, '09
From Toronto, Canada
Currently Offline

QUOTE (CanadaCelica @ Jun 18, 2010 - 3:55 PM) *
Well some good news and some bad.
The good is that the bushings fit into the control arms. Ended up taking them to a shop and surely pressed out the old and then pressed the new poly ones in. So I am happy about that.

Bad news, I can't for the life of me get the 8" bolt out. I tried the same tactics as Samflint1 and no luck. As well from whalen on the bolt for so long it was starting to mushroom at the end. So I will be taking the celi to a shop where they can use a hotter acetylene torch to loosen them.

Hey,

I am in Mississauga, Ontario.
I have a 94 GT-S which has 1 bushing starting to go in the front control arm....I think it is to change em and it looks like I will be doing same job as you pretty soon.

How much was shipping for you from Poland ?

Sebastian
post May 31, 2011 - 12:08 AM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

and boom goes the dynamite

--------------------
post May 31, 2011 - 12:23 AM
+Quote Post
hurley97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '04
From Portsmouth, RI
Currently Offline

Dustin and I installed the fronts today... after sitting in my trunk for almost a year

just drove around a little bit... huge difference already. they make just about as much difference as the rears did but in a totally different way. i'll know more after driving it for a few days. definitely need an alignment again.

--------------------
7A-FTE: It's not about the money. Our Beams Swap.

I <3 Dustin---07/16/06
post May 31, 2011 - 9:47 AM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

Where are you guys getting these bushings from? And how difficult are they to install yourself.
All I have is a bench vise like pictured above, would that be sufficient?
Some of my bushings need to be replaced, so may as well upgrade.

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post May 31, 2011 - 12:17 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

very nice biggrin.gif I don't think i'll ever get myself a set of coilovers. The only suspension upgrade I need is front and rear polyurethane bushings with front two r us links and rear miata polyurethane links and I'm good. ya keep us updated.

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: May 31, 2011 - 12:17 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post May 31, 2011 - 1:50 PM
+Quote Post
jordisonjr

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '09
From Winnipeg
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ May 31, 2011 - 1:17 PM) *
very nice biggrin.gif I don't think i'll ever get myself a set of coilovers. The only suspension upgrade I need is front and rear polyurethane bushings with front two r us links and rear miata polyurethane links and I'm good. ya keep us updated.

Did you actually notice a big difference with the two r us end links? I have them on mine and didn't notice much of a difference.
I kept the length the same as teh stock length, and I'm lowered on tien s techs.

--------------------
-Protection mode, For when your amp tries to blow its load.

1995 Toyota Celica GTS - Daily Driver
1999 Chevy Cavalier - Winter Beater
1994 Honda Civic CX Hatchback - Dead

My Celica!
post May 31, 2011 - 1:55 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jordisonjr @ May 31, 2011 - 1:50 PM) *
QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ May 31, 2011 - 1:17 PM) *

Did you actually notice a big difference with the two r us end links? I have them on mine and didn't notice much of a difference.
I kept the length the same as teh stock length, and I'm lowered on tien s techs.

you will not notice a difference with the two's r us end links. If you get rear miata polyurethane end links you'll notice a bit of a difference. your better off welding your stock links to the control arm, but I wouldn't advise doing so. I still have oem end links im just saying by what I heard from other members.

Edit shame on you hurley, get some sway bars already!!

This post has been edited by BonzaiCelica: May 31, 2011 - 2:31 PM

--------------------
For Sale Items:

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 9:29 AM