6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> white convertible Gen III 3s build, Gen3 3s + FMIC + EMS + lightweight crank + GTFour front = fun
post Apr 3, 2013 - 10:13 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bmj67 @ Apr 3, 2013 - 5:09 PM) *
You should have put the QR code for 6gc in that stripe hahaha

oh man, that would have been a great idea. I thought about doing the one for my youtube channel (avatar pic), but I didn't want anyone that I pass to pull out their smart phone, look at my channel, watch the video on the car, and then decide to steal my car for the engine/autronic ecu. So I opted out of that idea.

--------------------
-Jay

95 GT conv. project car: Manual, Gen III 3sgte, JN pisons, Eagle rods, overbore, crank knife-edged, crank scraper, ARP head/main/flywheel, Autronic EMS, Haltech Dual Wideband O2 controller, Audi 1.8T individual coils, FMIC and SSQV BOV, 3" downpipe, 3" ultra-high-flow cat, 2.5" Borla muffler, +other
01 S2000: FMIC, Haltech EMS, Haltech wideband, 570cc inj, forged pistons/rods, sleeved block, 5 angle valve job, ported and polished
02 R6, all stock, except for braided stainless brake lines, frame sliders, and adjustable brake/clutch leve
post Apr 4, 2013 - 6:52 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

110 miles on the new engine and I have successfully killed my IK24 iridium spark plugs. They are clean, and the gap is still correct, but they run horribly. From what I've been looking up, these Audi 1.8t individual coils deliver too hot of a spark for iridium plugs. Iridium and platinum plugs have great longevity but can't handle heat very well. I pulled them out and sanded the tips with 400 grit sandpaper since I paid $11 a piece for them. The general consensus on the audi forums is that the copper ones perform better but have to be changed every 10k miles, copper ones wear away faster but deliver a hotter spark. I put in some ngk bkr6e for $1.50 a piece and it is running great for now..haha..I guess we'll see how long they last.

--------------------
-Jay

95 GT conv. project car: Manual, Gen III 3sgte, JN pisons, Eagle rods, overbore, crank knife-edged, crank scraper, ARP head/main/flywheel, Autronic EMS, Haltech Dual Wideband O2 controller, Audi 1.8T individual coils, FMIC and SSQV BOV, 3" downpipe, 3" ultra-high-flow cat, 2.5" Borla muffler, +other
01 S2000: FMIC, Haltech EMS, Haltech wideband, 570cc inj, forged pistons/rods, sleeved block, 5 angle valve job, ported and polished
02 R6, all stock, except for braided stainless brake lines, frame sliders, and adjustable brake/clutch leve
post Apr 6, 2013 - 8:55 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

Rewired my little fuse box area for the coils, ecu, and gauges today. The old fuse box that I was using had a loose fuse holder, and a loose relay connection. So it died on me a couple times or wouldn't start. This one is from an 05 mercedes. I opened up the fusebox and drew out a map of the internal wiring. The sucky thing is that one relay uses a ground switched signal to trip the relay, the other two use positive switched signals. So I had to be creative in order to use that relay and the three fuses it was powering. Good luck to whoever buys my car in the future if they want to figure out the wiring..haha. I drew up a wire diagram, but everyone loses manuals and wire diagrams, so good luck again! I believe the fusebox in the mercedes is for the fuel pump (among other things). Three 60 amp bosch-style relays came with it (the euro ones that are $20 a piece). According to the ebay listing, the fusebox can be found on w215, w220, s55, s550, clk500, and I think all of the other 2005 mercedes models from what it looks like. This one was only $15 after shipping with relays! smile.gif If any of you guys want to buy one on ebay or pull one from a junkyard, let me know and I'll send you the wire schematic that I drew up on it.

I still have to tape up the wires into a bundle so it looks more clean instead of wires everywhere!

This post has been edited by match220: Apr 10, 2013 - 10:25 PM

--------------------
-Jay

post Apr 10, 2013 - 10:22 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

Haltech wideband controller came in the mail today!!! YAY! I just finished mounting it, I'll have to wire it in tomorrow. Took forever to find a good mounting place for it where my wires will reach (unfortunately I couldn't use the firewall frown.gif ). Now I just have to pull out that crappy AEM wideband (tomorrow as well).

--------------------
-Jay

post Mar 8, 2014 - 10:24 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

1 year update! (almost)

in short: Put in prebent mandrel tubing with couplers to replace the intake piping, rewired the fusebox, put in a mishimoto radiator, and used some 3-way switces to combine the signals from my oil/water temp sensors and oil/water pressure sensors so I now have 2 gauges where 4 were, along with some other small mods.

Car is still running strong, I'm planning on making a new youtube video. Had some issues with the factory radiator fans two weeks ago. The 100 amp alternator fuse had a bad connection and just shut off. After looking over the fuses and seeing none blown, taking off the relay covers so I could manually move the relays when the Ign was on I realized the 100 amp fuse problem. Pull out the fuse, and realized I cant clean the connections as thoroughly as I would like, so I put in another fuse and it worked great will a few days ago when it did the same thing. SO I'm now putting in backup 5 pin relays in line with the rad fans. One on each pos fan wire using a 5 pin relay with the normally closed connection on the relay connecting the wire as normal, and the normally open pin connected to the backup power source. Positive conected to the battery and the negative connected to a 3-way switch that would be wired as always-ground/off/EMS-ground-trigger. I'm waiting on the 5-pin relays. After I receive them I will put an update here to revive my build project. Basically when it's done I'll have a fully functioning stock electrical system that can be switched off by my EMS if it is on one setting of the 3-way switch, or fans that are always on if I flip the switch the other way, or I could just leave the switch in the off position for the system to work like it is supposed to.

Unfortunately when my fans cut out I was sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, temp shot up, as did the radiator pressure, resulting in a crack in my radiator 6 inches wide and 2 inches tall forcing a large amount of coolant on my engine and a mushroom cloud of steam. Of course that means me getting an all aluminum radiator! I paid for a Megan Racing radiator and they said they were out, so the sent me a Mishimoto radiator, which I'm happy with.

I put in a water pressure sensor 6 months ago through a 3-way switch, and also ran my oil and water temps into a 3 way switch that goes out to one gauge. So the wiring for both water/oil pressure and water/oil temp are wired as oil/off/water, so I can switch between them at will! smile.gif

I upgraded my fuse box not long after I got the car running last year, and I'm going to have to make some more changes to wure in the turbotimer and the Jetta power distribution box I got.

I plasti-dipped a GTFour hood that I got in the mail because it was all black and dinged up a lot (how resistent are these hoods to rocks and things that might hit it while on a freeway??? since they are in fact aluminum and lightweight)

Just switched to 5w-20 full synthetic last week, developed a small oil leak that is getting my oil filter wet but nothing else above it, so I'm hoping it's just the oil filter seal. And before that, my cheap chinese oil pressure sensor that I bought blew a seal, so I plugged the hole with one of my 1/8NPT plugs and ordered another cheap chinese oil pressure sensor/gauge smile.gif.

This post has been edited by match220: Mar 8, 2014 - 10:28 AM

--------------------
-Jay

post Mar 12, 2014 - 7:40 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU9khGeS4Go

I started my rewire today, since the ground at the fan is always grounded I decided to run a 5-pin relay off of each of the fan positive wires. This allows me to control the fans from the autronic or choose to leave them on all the time from a 3-way switch I'm installing. Or I can leave my switch in the off position and it functions as normal.

Just like this

--------------------
-Jay

post Mar 12, 2014 - 7:57 AM
+Quote Post
The_enD

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 12, '13
From Bulgaria
Currently Offline

Good video, I learned something.

I am using my relays for my stereo so it doesn't loose power when you start the engine. I love relays.

This post has been edited by The_enD: Mar 12, 2014 - 7:57 AM

--------------------
FS thread : Custom Celica parts made to order + more

Click the image to visit my FB page

post Mar 12, 2014 - 8:21 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (The_enD @ Mar 12, 2014 - 2:57 AM) *
Good video, I learned something.

I am using my relays for my stereo so it doesn't loose power when you start the engine. I love relays.

The most creative thing I've used them for is swapping a positive switched signal for a negative switched one. The positive signal trips the coil in the relay and there is only a ground connection going through pins 30 and 87. So the result is a positive on/off signal that is now negative on/off. They are very useful indeed

This post has been edited by match220: Mar 12, 2014 - 8:21 AM

--------------------
-Jay

post Jan 30, 2015 - 7:25 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

GTFour front end bolt on video
(note: both my fenders were dented, that's why I got different ones and had them painted[non convertible fenders on a convertible are a pain])

and I added this guy to replace my other one since I couldn't pass safety inspection without a crash bar frown.gif

This is from a few months ago. I'm trying to revive my build thread. I've been getting a stolen/recovered s2000 running again lately so I've been neglecting my celly.

This post has been edited by match220: Jan 31, 2015 - 5:08 PM

--------------------
-Jay

post Jan 31, 2015 - 5:01 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

Had interior accent pieces painted professionally by a friend who owed me some favors.

--------------------
-Jay

post Jan 31, 2015 - 5:06 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

repinned st204 gauge connectors to accept ST205/ST202 gauges (I wrote instructions if anyone needs them). For now I have my old speedo and fuel gauges bolted back in for now (not because the others don't work, just until I figure out how to change the kph to mph).

these are the auto gauges BEAMS gauges, I got them so I could use the PRND21 lights for indicator lights

This post has been edited by match220: Jan 31, 2015 - 5:06 PM

--------------------
-Jay

post Jan 31, 2015 - 5:09 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

Got a new project to flip. It runs now after I replaced the EMS, tuned it, and added some gauges and wideband controller.

This post has been edited by match220: Jan 31, 2015 - 5:16 PM

--------------------
-Jay

post Feb 1, 2015 - 4:43 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

Added this dual-function gauge(middle). It will replace the ones on the left and right once I get something to fill the holes(wideband O2 and maybe exhaust temp). The signal wire going into the gauge splits to two different pressure sensors (3-way switch) and two different temp sensors, one on oil and one on coolant. So I'll mostly leave it on coolant so I know if I get a leak and lose pressure smile.gif

This post has been edited by match220: Feb 1, 2015 - 4:46 AM

--------------------
-Jay

post Feb 1, 2015 - 3:21 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

I like the 3 way switch idea

--------------------
post Feb 1, 2015 - 4:04 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Feb 1, 2015 - 10:21 AM) *
I like the 3 way switch idea

they've come in very handy for sure.

--------------------
-Jay

post Feb 10, 2015 - 12:56 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

LED floor lights! Since I replaced the incandescent bulb in my key ring light with an LED one months ago I decided to solder a leg off of each of those two wires and run two more LED bulbs for the floor board lighting. These LEDs don't use as much electricity as the incandescent bulb, so it shouldn't even come close to overloading the circuit with too many bulbs (I love LEDs!!!). The advantage is floor lighting that is controlled by the car on/off lighting system and fused by the factory fusebox, and floor lights that stay on for a couple seconds after the door is shut. Not running anything off of the door switch makes the wiring neat also. All of the connections are soldered and heatshrinked.

License plate light fixtures from a junkyard, plus old wires I saved from when I wired in my 3sgte to the Autronic SM4

Driver side lighting

Passenger side lighting

both sides

turned on the overhead lighting (replaced those with LEDs also)

This post has been edited by match220: Feb 10, 2015 - 12:59 AM

--------------------
-Jay

post Feb 14, 2015 - 5:26 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

after a bath and vacuum

--------------------
-Jay

post Feb 14, 2015 - 9:18 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

I've been tossing around the idea of running a dump valve/diverter valve around my cat that opens with boost or TPS. Until the other day when I had a great idea, I was trying to figure out how to control it via my EMS. Then it hit me, I'm trying to run an electrically operated valve with wires and not to mention it's bulky, why not use a wastegate!? So I'll be ordering a TiAL wastegate soon and running a bypass around the highflow cat I need to replace from running rich under boost. Problem solved! It's not bulky, not controlled by a stupid wireless on/off switch, and will last longer than an electric motor/butterfly exposed to ridiculous heat. It's got me pretty happy, perfectly steps up with boost as long as I install the right springs and will take up less room than the fat motor/dump valve setup.

--------------------
-Jay

post Feb 17, 2015 - 11:03 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

fog light button in the vent hole! Took some plastic cutting, but it's there now smile.gif (the scratch was already in the paint)

--------------------
-Jay

post Mar 2, 2015 - 9:00 PM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

3 point strut tower bar installed! I also made a youtube video on installing it, so hopefully overtime the views will pay me back for purchasing it biggrin.gif

Youtube video on the install

This post has been edited by match220: Mar 3, 2015 - 5:57 AM

--------------------
-Jay

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 10:02 AM