> Help spark plugs shot!
post Jul 27, 2007 - 9:38 PM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

Hello my 94 GT celica has been sitting for about 6 months stored and today I started it up changed oil and it ran fine. Later today I went to start it and it fired up and then died after about a minute. To my surprise the spark plugs are looking shot and they only have maybe 2,000 miles on them. I have champion spark plugs and they look as if the center has worn away to the point that the gap is all off and I need new plugs so my question is

-What spark plugs last the longest and give good mileage? What should I buy...

-Also I run a straight through exhaust with a header and a magnaflow muffler ,plus a cold air intake. Is it possible I was running too lean or hot those 2,000 miles and wore away the center electrode. 3 of the plugs are redish brown and 1 is grayish white on the insulated porcelain......

Thanks, Brandon
post Jul 27, 2007 - 11:02 PM
+Quote Post
mneal2_92788

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Lawrence IN, 46226
Currently Offline

Bosche Platinums, they last a while and have amazing spark. it was prolly just b/c it sat there, anything that sits that long without running at all to keep it all fresh will need new things
post Jul 28, 2007 - 3:11 AM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

What is the plug number? I can't find it... Thanks....
post Jul 28, 2007 - 12:25 PM
+Quote Post
mneal2_92788

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Lawrence IN, 46226
Currently Offline

the number for the Bosch Iridium Fusion / Spark Plug is 4503. the link is to autozone. they are 10 bucks a peice for those and i think that they are only 10 dollars for two of the platinums+2 (difference is irridiums) at walmart. that number is 4303. and the +4s are 4417. all say no gap
post Jul 28, 2007 - 12:33 PM
+Quote Post
LewFX

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 28, '05
From Redondo Beach, CA
Currently Offline

always buy denso or ngk, not bosch

--------------------
IPB Image
post Jul 28, 2007 - 12:44 PM
+Quote Post
hitcachi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 19, '05
From Nebraska
Currently Offline

+1 for NGK

--------------------
Teh Celica sleeps for Winter '06. Suspension overhaul begins........
post Jul 28, 2007 - 3:00 PM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

Well I put in the NGK spark plugs it fired eventually but took awhile. It isn't running right.

-When I quickly give it gas it stumbles and wants to die. I am thinking fuel filter, carquest isn't able to get one for awhile and Napa is closed today. Is there a good place to order one online?

-Also my car has 130,000 miles on it and has been sitting I am thinking possibly the fuel injectors are clogged what do you recommend for running through the system to clean them out?
post Jul 28, 2007 - 3:09 PM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

Well I just tried to drive to the gas station and it won't run above an idle it just stumbles and dies. Any ideas? I am gonna pull the fuel filter. Is there only 1 or is there also one in the gas tank?
post Jul 28, 2007 - 3:16 PM
+Quote Post
6strngs

Enthusiast
Joined May 12, '06
From Wilmington, NC
Currently Offline

there is also one in the gas tank but I don't think it would need replacing. I'd double check all your ignition components and make sure you have spark.

--------------------

94 GT - Sold -------- 69 Pontiac Lemans - Sold
88 Alltrac - Sold ---- 04 WRX - Sold
00 GT-S - Sold ------ 91 Miata - project/drift car
95 GT - Sold -------- 96 GT - New Daily Drive
post Jul 28, 2007 - 3:36 PM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

Pulled fuel filter in engine bay, it does not seem to be clogged... I am lost any ideas what to look for specifically. All my connections seem good. Is the fuel pump in the gas tank? I have a fuel pressure gauge but I can't find a fuel line I could tap into as they all have the o- ring connection on the end instead of a plane rubber gas line hose.... I am lost....The chilton manual doesn't list a fuel filter in the gas tank??? Is it only on some models??? I have spark as it will idle and on occasion rev up. I just seems fuel starved...
post Jul 28, 2007 - 4:50 PM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

Well its getting gas to the fuel injectors, it has spark but now it won't fire. I think my fuel injectors are clogged. What are my options? I can't clean they would need to be sent somewhere? Also what is a good place to buy new injectors and what is the part number or what to look for? Thanks....

P.S. how hard is it to pull the manifold and swap injectors?????
post Jul 28, 2007 - 5:02 PM
+Quote Post
hitcachi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 19, '05
From Nebraska
Currently Offline

mmm IAC.

--------------------
Teh Celica sleeps for Winter '06. Suspension overhaul begins........
post Jul 28, 2007 - 5:05 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

you have a vac leak somewhere. check your map sensor.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Jul 29, 2007 - 3:05 AM
+Quote Post
6strngs

Enthusiast
Joined May 12, '06
From Wilmington, NC
Currently Offline

QUOTE(bdog_v @ Jul 28, 2007 - 2:50 PM) [snapback]583256[/snapback]

P.S. how hard is it to pull the manifold and swap injectors?????

it doesn't really sound like a misfire, I'd go with what Lagos said and say vacuum leak. but to answer your question, it's real easy to swap injectors, or at least I thought it was easy. you have to pull off your valve cover then there are two bolts, then you can move your fuel rail and the injectors just pop out.

oh, btw, I just remembered that once I accidentally disconnected my MAP sensor and it did the same thing. it idled, but it died when you gave it gas. so definately check that. the MAP sensor is on the passenger side of the car mounted to your firewall. it's got a vacuum hose (which goes to the intake manifold) and an electrical connector connected to it (or at least, it's supposed to)

This post has been edited by 6strngs: Jul 29, 2007 - 3:10 AM

--------------------

post Jul 29, 2007 - 6:43 PM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

Thanks for the reply I guess I have never messed with the MAP sensor

-what does that stand for??? Any pics of it ? I am going to go try and find it now

-what exactly is its purpose? THAnks a ton!!!!
post Jul 29, 2007 - 6:47 PM
+Quote Post
mneal2_92788

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Lawrence IN, 46226
Currently Offline

get a full tune up. mine started doing that exact thing, i got a full tune up and it ran like new
post Jul 29, 2007 - 6:54 PM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

Well I believe I found it. It is still connected both vacuum and electrical connection. Does this Map sensor control the fuel injectors.

-Also can I order one of these at say Napa, Are they known for failing?

-Yesterday the car eventually failed to fire at all and run so I pulled the injectors and ordered a new set. However I did not know anything about this Map sensor when I pulled them.... Oh well THanks....
post Jul 30, 2007 - 1:23 AM
+Quote Post
6strngs

Enthusiast
Joined May 12, '06
From Wilmington, NC
Currently Offline

I highly doubt your injectors would all crap out at the same time. if one injector went out (which is more likely then all of them going out) you would have a misfire in one cylinder. your engine would be all rough and shaky and the car would be super slow. I would check that vacuum line from the MAP sensor and see if it's cracked or their is a hole in it or something.

I don't have a pic of it right now, but it's just this little (maybe an inch long?) plastic box thing. From what I know they don't usually crap out. if you can, maybe find one from another celica you could just swap in (takes only a minute to swap) and see if that fixes it.

Oh yeah, it stands for Manifold Absolute Pressure sensor (I'm pretty sure) and it tells your ECU how much air is going into your engine in order for your ECU to spit out the correct amount of fuel to get the right AFR (air/fuel ratio)

This post has been edited by 6strngs: Jul 30, 2007 - 1:26 AM

--------------------

post Jul 30, 2007 - 12:25 PM
+Quote Post
bdog_v

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '06
From Wisconsin
Currently Offline

Well I just priced a MAP sensor at Napa and carquest and they were around $250 !!!!! I can't believe it. Is there a good place to order used parts offline or does someone have a used one I could try???? MY injectors won't be here until Wed this week and I have to leave over the road for work Sunday. It sure would be nice to have this fixed...... Are there any other hidden vacuum hoses that could cause this??? I have checked all that I can see....
post Jul 30, 2007 - 4:06 PM
+Quote Post
6strngs

Enthusiast
Joined May 12, '06
From Wilmington, NC
Currently Offline

I have a used one because I went with a 2-bar one for my turbo set-up. though I kinda would like to hang onto it in case I ever decide to switch back to N/A. However, if you are willing to pay for shipping I can send it out to you, you could test it out, and then send it back after the test. This will just help you determine if it needs replacing, and then if it does you can buy one, hopefully used so it's not outrageously priced (I think they are a little cheaper from a dealer too, btw) . shipping should only be $2 or $3 each way. PM me if you're interested.

--------------------

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:59 AM