> Pros and cons to aftermarket wastegate on CT20
post Sep 5, 2014 - 8:01 AM
+Quote Post
3WayStunna

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '06
From Box Elder, South Dakota
Currently Offline

Would love some advice or just you guys imput on the the above topic. Some more info for you guys though. I plan on doing a forged rebuild of my engine. Yadda yadda ya and i have basically everything covered in terms of how i want my setup to be. Forged engine, aftermarket ECU, 550cc injectors. One thing on my mind that i always found a flaw with the CT20 though was with the wastegate. And yes, i want to keep the stock CT20. With that being said we all know the wastegate has its drawbacks.

And so much so, that their was a guide on here a while back with some method of making it work better. Cant find it as of right now though, but has anyone ever tried replacing the entire wastegate itself with one of these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kinugawa-Adjustabl...fe2&vxp=mtr

Yes this is an aftermarket wastegate for internal wastegated turbos. The one listed is for a .5 bar version but they come in 1.2 and 1.5 variations. Will this have any sort of improvement in performance? Perhaps limit/lower boost creep at high RPM's? Or is it just an unncessary bit. Oh and one more thing, im not out for a specific horsepower number as measuring that is moot at my current location. I just want to be able to boost 1.5 bar without loosing power in high RPM's with the stock (steel wheeled) turbo.

This post has been edited by 3WayStunna: Sep 5, 2014 - 8:03 AM

--------------------
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
post Sep 5, 2014 - 2:15 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

Pros: Better boost control at higher boost levels. Can safely run more boost by either changing springs or using the right spring for the boost level you wish to run with a boost controller.

Cons: It costs money.

--------------------
1993 Celica GT Coupe - sold
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Sep 5, 2014 - 5:46 PM
+Quote Post
3WayStunna

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '06
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Sep 5, 2014 - 2:15 PM) *
Pros: Better boost control at higher boost levels. Can safely run more boost by either changing springs or using the right spring for the boost level you wish to run with a boost controller.

Cons: It costs money.

Thanks for the reply Syaoran. Also in regards to the product i linked, ive read a few bad reviews on it just in case anyone else was curious about it. There are a few companies that produce these products. Would be safer to go with them.

Anywho, in another regards, would porting out the wastegate ports, in conjunction with and aftermarket IWG cause any for-see able issues. As in, how would you find one for the right boost level then? Or would it even matter?

--------------------
(\__/)
post Sep 5, 2014 - 7:28 PM
+Quote Post
Syaoran

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 4, '12
From US
Currently Offline

These wastegate actuators are diaphragms with springs. You'd basically change out the springs for different boost levels. Porting the wastegate holes is a non-issue so long as you don't port them so much that the flapper door won't seal much more.

However seeing as a CT20B can hit 300whp on pump gas in stock form (stock actuator and wheels) I can't help but ask why you want to change the actuator and port the wastegate ports.

--------------------
1993 Celica GT Coupe - sold
1994 Celica GT Liftback
post Sep 6, 2014 - 12:47 PM
+Quote Post
brenton1919

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 28, '11
Currently Offline

Ct20b can hit up to 400+ its been done their is no reason to change anything on it. Its a waste of money and time.
post Sep 28, 2014 - 7:34 AM
+Quote Post
3WayStunna

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 25, '06
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Syaoran @ Sep 5, 2014 - 8:28 PM) *
These wastegate actuators are diaphragms with springs. You'd basically change out the springs for different boost levels. Porting the wastegate holes is a non-issue so long as you don't port them so much that the flapper door won't seal much more.

However seeing as a CT20B can hit 300whp on pump gas in stock form (stock actuator and wheels) I can't help but ask why you want to change the actuator and port the wastegate ports.

Im already hitting the limits of the stock CT20.

QUOTE (brenton1919 @ Sep 6, 2014 - 1:47 PM) *
Ct20b can hit up to 400+ its been done their is no reason to change anything on it. Its a waste of money and time.

Yes, the steel wheeled CT20's can do that. But i have the ceramic type. And as stated above its finally hitting its limits. I know it would be easier to just outright replace it altogether but i would love to see what my options are for what i have currently. From what it sounds like, it would be good to have something like this to have steady boost, which is what i want and would solve the current problem with my stock turbo.

If anything my plans might center around rebuilding my stock turbo, replacing the turbine wheels and going with an aftermarket wastegate.

--------------------
(\__/)
post Oct 11, 2014 - 5:10 AM
+Quote Post
jbod

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 15, '10
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

For me the ct20 creeps once you start to make power with say an aftermarket ecu. Even after porting the wastegate path out as the angle the exhaust gases goes towards the actuator is almost a solid 90degree abrupt turn, and shaping the wastegate ports, i still get creep from 1bar to 1.07. There are many factors this could be however, method of boost control/bleeding air, choice of downpipe.. I think an external would solve this hiwever not something i personally want.. Too
Much of a pain

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:12 PM