6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5sfe turbo build, I finished rebuilding the engine and now I am thinking about a turbo
post Feb 14, 2016 - 9:34 PM
+Quote Post
BornToyota

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 12, '15
From Lynchburg Virginia
Currently Offline

HI, I am just finishing up the rebuild my 6th gen after some pretty small oil leaks (i.e. coming out of everywhere). so now I am stuck looking/listening and drooling over every turbo i come across. I love everything about them but the price tag.

The engine thats in it now has been rebuilt with new pistons/rings, and all the basic stuff. As well as its been bored 2mm over, shaved, but not Port and Polished because my engine guy did not have the equipment.

Ive been looking into the several options into a turbo for this car, and ideally i would drop a 3sgte in...i mean, wouldnt we all? BUT, im a college student and dont want to have my car in the garage for a few more months. Plus, the wiring harness and all.

So my question is, can i run 5-7psi on my 5sfe safely. if so, where is a good place to get a kit, whats the minimum of parts i will need if piecing it together one at a time, or would a supercharger be easier?

Any advice from the master mechanics or someone who has done this before would be greatly appreciated because this is my first time messing with forced induction, and I am still doing lots of research.

thumbsup.gif
post Feb 15, 2016 - 12:23 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

poor college student, here is my advise. LEAVE IT ALONE!

you cant afford turbo

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Feb 15, 2016 - 3:35 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Leave it alone and wait until you can afford the time/money for a 3SGTE.

Youll probably spend more time in the garage building and diagnosing problems with the 5SFE-T than swapping a 3SGTE in.

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Feb 15, 2016 - 4:40 PM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

Adding to what's already been stated..

You can pick up a nice 3s for around 1,500. Odds are with the supplies needed for the 5s-t build, such as 3s manifold, turbo, down pipe, intake piping, oil pan (or tap yours), ect...
you will be spending the good part of that 3s swap.

Save up, it will give you time to make a clear choice on what you want and give you a good idea on what you will need and want for your build. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by 4-eyed-freek: Feb 15, 2016 - 4:41 PM

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Feb 21, 2016 - 10:36 AM
+Quote Post
6thgen94

Enthusiast

Joined Feb 13, '16
From Kingman Az
Currently Offline

Don't let these guys tell you that the 5sfe is not turbo worthy I just rebuilt mine and put forged internals head and main studs over sized valves and springs a New cam with custom grind t3/T4 turbo set up 550cc injectors a mk iv supra fuel pump stage 3 race clutch I've reached 425Hp and 18psi and I strive to reach higher numbers
post Feb 21, 2016 - 2:53 PM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

QUOTE (6thgen94 @ Feb 21, 2016 - 10:36 AM) *
Don't let these guys tell you that the 5sfe is not turbo worthy I just rebuilt mine and put forged internals head and main studs over sized valves and springs a New cam with custom grind t3/T4 turbo set up 550cc injectors a mk iv supra fuel pump stage 3 race clutch I've reached 425Hp and 18psi and I strive to reach higher numbers

I don't recall anyone saying the 5s isn't turbo worthy. We are looking out for a fellow 6gc owner.

I cant resist, because we all know it will happen. 'Just 1 more psi..'

This post has been edited by 4-eyed-freek: Feb 21, 2016 - 3:06 PM

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Feb 22, 2016 - 12:55 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (6thgen94 @ Feb 21, 2016 - 7:36 AM) *

yeah and how much did that cost you. 10K? this is a poor college student. be realistic

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Feb 24, 2016 - 3:47 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

I think it was slap on harbor freight kit.

OP. If you cannot afford to swap a 3s. Then turbo a 5s is no different. Time down and money. Leave it alone. Enjoy car. If power is what you need. Go ford or chevrolet. Mustangs, camaros and covettes are a dime a dozen. Power from factory.

Gotta pay to play

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Mar 27, 2016 - 2:05 PM
+Quote Post
BornToyota

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 12, '15
From Lynchburg Virginia
Currently Offline

Thanks so much guys, i have given this a lot of thought and Im probably gonna leave it. Ive already put a lot of time and money into this car and it'll last me a while (hopefully). But if the engine finally goes and i got the cash flow, ill be starting my 3sgte build!
post Apr 5, 2016 - 8:20 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

why not a v6 swap? its easier, because parts will be readily available, and plenty of them around for cheap.

3sgte is a good engine, solid, but a bit old. I know i will get a lot of hate for this. but if you are considering a 4th gen 3sgte maybe.

I suggest see smaay thread for a v6 swap. or if you are crazy, and win the lottery do a 2grfe swap.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:24 AM