6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Onnaj's 1998 Celica ST to 4AGE 20V Blacktop conversion, Next project: C160 LSD 6-speed gearbox :)
post Mar 22, 2013 - 5:37 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

try to add pictures tomorrow!

New pistons, new rings, new conrod and crankshaft bearings, con rods, etc etc have been mounted already! This feels like a giant leap forwards haha biggrin.gif

EDIT: pictures added:

Bare block:

Short block with engine squirters cleaned and mounted:

Old and new bearings:

Mounted the crankshaft:

The crankshaft (yes it looks a lot less orange after the wash biggrin.gif)

Crankshaft closeup:

Ready to get in:

You can't oil enough:

Crankshaft back in the engine! Wow we;re really building it up again!! biggrin.gif

And ofcourse oil, oil and oil biggrin.gif

and more oil: smile.gif

And...the pistons are suddenly back in. (forgot to make pictures when putting them in frown.gif)

To be certain we wrote in which sequence we have to torque them:

This post has been edited by onnaj: Mar 24, 2013 - 4:52 AM

--------------------
post Mar 24, 2013 - 4:54 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Yesterday we've mounted the oil pump and waterpump. We did want to do a lot more but cleaning the oil filter adaptor kept me busy for about 2 hours. That thing was dirty as hell!! Maybe we're going on with it today. We plan to disassembly the head today so i can either clean it myself or take it to the rebuild shop to wash it.

The pictures from yesterdays progress:

--------------------
post Mar 24, 2013 - 9:46 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Quick work!

Never seen such detail inside this engine, nice to see something diff.
post Mar 30, 2013 - 4:06 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Last week we have been busy again. And damn what were those intake valve stem seals stuck!We had a lot of trouble getting them out, while on the exhaust side they went pretty easy. This engine must have used loads of oil. I think more oil then fuel tongue.gif

The head:

Valve stem seals (yes they're completely gone):

Combustion chambe...pff those have to be cleaned up as well later on frown.gif:

Another head picture:

--------------------
post Mar 31, 2013 - 2:00 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

So cleaned the head up a bit with mr muscle, now it's at the rebuild shop to get it washed thorougly. Men how difficult it is to clean the head with all those westvleteren 10 keep on smiling at you smile.gif (the people who loves beer, exactly know what i'm talking about haha biggrin.gif

I've been busy with cleaning and polishing the valves. Most work though was cleaning all the valve components. Men that took a long time.
Here's a picture of the cleaned and polished valve and all of it's components:

Pictures of the cleaned valves, nicely sorted in small bags. Important to do this otherwise you'd never remember which went were again.

--------------------
post Mar 31, 2013 - 2:34 PM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Motor progress looks great! gotta love 20v goodness!
post Apr 1, 2013 - 10:20 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

So despite Eastern i was able to do a little work on the engine again. I've cleaned the camshaft caps and bolt and the head bolts and washer. I've also measured the head bolts and they were all factory new sizes, so i can easily use those again.

Camshaft caps:

Head bolts and washer:

Head bolts:

Head bolts meausrements:

--------------------
post Apr 2, 2013 - 2:41 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

So, been busy again. Yes it's almost looking a bit like an engine again biggrin.gif We've mounted the oil pan and crankshaft seal. Besides that i've put a lot of sweat (and mr muscle:)) to clean the throttle body. Difficult part to clean, cause it's not straight in any place at all.

After mounting the crankshaft seal and before mounting the oil pan.

After mounting the oil pan (but please don't tell me you see some dots on the newly paint engine...yes there's and i'm sick of that. Put a lot of time in painting it) frown.gif

Some pictures after cleaning the throttle body. Not special pictures, but it really was necessary to do it. Don't mind the crappy pictures cause i forgot to take my cam with me, these are shot with my Samsung Galaxy S and as you can see it makes 'wonderfull' pictures wink.gif

--------------------
post Apr 2, 2013 - 4:50 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Good work. Rebuilding your own engine sure is satisfying isn't it?

Oh yea, I wouldn't reuse to head bolts. I'm almost positive they are torque to yield.

This post has been edited by enderswift: Apr 2, 2013 - 4:51 PM

--------------------
post Apr 3, 2013 - 6:50 AM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

This is really satisfying yes! smile.gif And i know now i have a good engine that can go on for years.

I know for sure they can be reused, it's in the Toyota manual. wink.gif As long as they meet the 2 requirements: 1) the lenght has to be within spec and 2) he has to meet the torque specifications.

--------------------
post Apr 4, 2013 - 10:39 AM
+Quote Post
Legen-dary

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 18, '13
From Portland, OR
Currently Offline

Nice job trying something different! The blacktop is a good engine and though underpowered by modern comparison is still decent. I agree that the sound of a properly built blackop is wonderful! Anyways it looks like you're very detailed and doing your research so I'm sure it will turn out well. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the progress!

--------------------
1999 Celica GT Auto - GF's car
1996 4Runner SR5 5sp - Ol' Faithful
2006 Evo 9 MR - For sale
1998 Supra NA Auto very slow
post Apr 4, 2013 - 3:04 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Legen-dary @ Apr 4, 2013 - 5:39 PM) *
Nice job trying something different! The blacktop is a good engine and though underpowered by modern comparison is still decent. I agree that the sound of a properly built blackop is wonderful! Anyways it looks like you're very detailed and doing your research so I'm sure it will turn out well. Good luck and looking forward to seeing the progress!

Thanks! I'll keep you all updated smile.gif

So:
Planning is to the rest of the head work and completely assembly the engine within about 2 weeks. In that time i might get my airbox and cam covers powdercoated. Not going for Stacks yet so the airbox need to look new! biggrin.gif

After that it's time to do the wiring. Got a lot of info already so the wiring shouldn't be a hell of a job. We'll keep the 7AFE harness and adapt the 4AGE 20V harness. Don't know if i told this already but a friend of mine works at DAF Netherlands. He does wirings and schematics all day long so that'll work out just fine.

When that's ready, yes it transplanting time! Need to get a throttle cable for that and then a looooooooong 1500 miles to run it in. (don't know if you call this that way in english language wink.gif)

So progress i being made over here!

--------------------
post Apr 5, 2013 - 12:38 PM
+Quote Post
Legen-dary

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 18, '13
From Portland, OR
Currently Offline

QUOTE (onnaj @ Apr 4, 2013 - 1:04 PM) *
When that's ready, yes it transplanting time! Need to get a throttle cable for that and then a looooooooong 1500 miles to run it in. (don't know if you call this that way in english language wink.gif)

We call that a "break-in" period.

--------------------
1999 Celica GT Auto - GF's car
1996 4Runner SR5 5sp - Ol' Faithful
2006 Evo 9 MR - For sale
1998 Supra NA Auto very slow
post Apr 5, 2013 - 3:29 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Legen-dary @ Apr 5, 2013 - 7:38 PM) *
QUOTE (onnaj @ Apr 4, 2013 - 1:04 PM) *

We call that a "break-in" period.

Thanks! Never too old to learn biggrin.gif

--------------------
post Apr 12, 2013 - 5:07 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Update time with better pix smile.gif

Have been really busy with washing the head again and again. After it was time for grinding the valves. Yes, there still was some time left smile.gif What i've done then? What you think of cleaning the intake and exhaust ports with a dremel and a little wire brush. My girlfriend still wasn't home so what i did next what getting started with polishing (not porting) the exhaust side of the head. I don't think it will give me loads of HP, but the air will flow better and get the heat out of it a bit quicker. The inlet i won't touch. The inlet ports are pretty smooth already from the valve guides till the combustion chamber. Only flow that could do a bit better will be the flow from the throttle bodies to the valve guides. If that has any advantage? I don't know. Opinions vary about that, so i'm sticking with the exhaust side.

But again, photo's will tell the story biggrin.gif

For your memory, the uncleaned head:

Cleaned head:

Grinded valve:

Not grinded valve:

Uncleaned combustion chamber and in/exhaust but grinded valva:

Cleaend and 1st polish of combustion chamber:

Cleaned and polished exhaust port

Ow forgot, the cam cover is also clean again and will be sprayed very soon:

--------------------
post Apr 12, 2013 - 5:15 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

That was yesterday news to be honest. But i wanted to keep the posting complete so i had to post that first wink.gif

I wasn't really satisfied with the polishing yet, so i bought another dremel tool to finish it. I must admist, i like the results. This looks quite a bit better then yesterday. Took also a lot of time!

Some extra pictures (photos has been shot with my Sony HX5V cam, i'm very satisfied with it! wink.gif)

Combustion chamber (inlet unpolished, exhaust side polished)

--------------------
post Apr 14, 2013 - 3:50 AM
+Quote Post
b22ri22an

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 2, '10
From Davenport, Florida
Currently Offline

porting and polishing my 5sfe head made a big difference in throttle response and a decent power upgrade... i dont have any truthful numbers however the "butt" dyno says more power not alot but definitely more.

--------------------
post Apr 14, 2013 - 12:56 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (b22ri22an @ Apr 14, 2013 - 10:50 AM) *
porting and polishing my 5sfe head made a big difference in throttle response and a decent power upgrade... i dont have any truthful numbers however the "butt" dyno says more power not alot but definitely more.

every HP is welcome. And since the head is off why don't grab it! tongue.gif

--------------------
post Apr 15, 2013 - 3:36 PM
+Quote Post
onnaj

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '12
From Holland
Currently Offline

Time for another update:

Have been busy a lot with with installing the valves en valve stem steals. How stupid could i be, trying to put the seals completely to the bottom of the valve guide :S. Should have read better before. Killed 6 of them and i have to remove the rest of the valves to check the other seals. When comparing how easily the valves could go in and out, i spotted a little rip/tear in one of the seals. When checking 2 other seals i spotted the same problem frown.gif. This is really expensive teaching money, but learned a lot.
Wow and how difficult the valve retainer locks wil go in position. This took my a LOT of time. And worst is that because of the seals i can do it all over again frown.gif

Good news? Yes, i picked the stock airbox and exhaust header up from the powder coating. They really look as new, or maybe even better then new biggrin.gif I'm really happy with that and it's worth every penny!

Because i had to wait on the new valve seals i went ahead with the throttle body. I removed the injectors and changed them for some i had ultrasonic cleaned before. Changed the o-rings and vibration insulators for new one's and (pre-)mounted the brackets.

Here are the pictures:

Powder coated airbox:

Powder coated header:

Cleaned injectors:

Throttle body with painted brackets:

--------------------
post Apr 17, 2013 - 7:37 PM
+Quote Post
celica74

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 8, '10
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

how much fun did you have porting? this is how i felt after mine rolleyes.gif with my build, all i did to the head was port and radius cut the valves and a 30 degree backcut. Pretty sure it made a hell of a difference. Head work is %60 of your power. nice work.

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:53 PM