> 6th Gen Build Take Two
post Feb 10, 2018 - 10:39 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

I meant to document this build better from the start but i guess better late than never as they say. This is my second 6th gen build and I my goal this time is to not rush anything and do everything right that I settled on and or rushed through the first time around. Just a disclaimer to start off with though I am in no means a mastermind and there will be a fair bit of mistakes so go easy on me lol.

So the goal with this build is 5SGTE AWD. I will be using the 5SFE block with a gen three head. As far as I can tell at the moment I have everything that I need from the st205 to complete the AWD swap besides the st205 shifter cables. I started off with a 96 25 anniversary ST that i bought from the original owner with around 330k miles. As of now I have pulled the 7AFE and started on cleaning up and replacing all the old hardware and swapping some of the parts I will be using from my last build.

Here are some pictures of the progress of the car so far.

First Bought.

Just after pulling the engine.

Progress as of tonight after painting the engine bay and sub-frame and starting the process of reinstalling the new and or cleaned parts.

Tomorrows project is to get the oem bushings removed from the lower a arms and get them ready for paint and the new poly bushings as well as swap my front coilovers from the other car and get some other little things done while I am waiting for my next batch of parts to start rolling in.

This post has been edited by dspain7: Feb 19, 2018 - 11:21 PM
post Feb 13, 2018 - 11:16 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

Delayed on the update, I got busy and rain kept me from getting some of the parts I wanted off of the other car. I was able to get the lower Arms ready for paint and new bushings. I got the front hubs striped and ready to start working on them. I also replaced the inner tie rods with some stronger Moog ones and got the outers on. Like I said earlier the rain keep me from getting the parts I wanted off the other car so instead I started on some of the interior stuff that I need to get done. The parts should start rolling in tomorrow so that I can really make some more good progress on the car this weekend and hopefully get the front suspension 100% back together.

Lower A Arms

Front Hubs

Tie Rods

Interior

This post has been edited by dspain7: Feb 19, 2018 - 11:19 PM
post Feb 14, 2018 - 10:07 AM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

Looking forward to this.

The pics in the second post do not work though - says you have to be signed in to view.
post Feb 14, 2018 - 11:15 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

QUOTE (slavie @ Feb 14, 2018 - 10:07 AM) *
Looking forward to this.

The pics in the second post do not work though - says you have to be signed in to view.

Thanks for the support! I think I fixed them I accidentally uploaded them in private the last time around.
post Feb 15, 2018 - 9:42 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

sounds like a fun project. keep us updated on here. looking forward to the progress. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Feb 16, 2018 - 7:28 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

Today I got the lower A arms and Cusco brace painted and the poly bushings, and adjustable endlinks installed. I also finally was able to get the coil-overs off the old car and swapped over to the new car. My neighbor down the street is a machinist and is going to tap the hubs and machine down my front calipers to get them centered up on the rotors. After that is done im just waiting on my new sway bar to finally come in and the front suspension will be together.

Lower A arms

Fender well after everything was installed

This post has been edited by dspain7: Feb 19, 2018 - 11:22 PM
post Feb 17, 2018 - 11:00 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

Didn't have much time to work on the car today but I got one hub completely assembled.

Im hoping to have the car at least back on the ground tomorrow.

This post has been edited by dspain7: Feb 19, 2018 - 11:23 PM
post Feb 18, 2018 - 3:13 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Can't wait to see where this goes!

You know you can post pics straight from flickr here lol just copy and paste the link that pops up when you click the forward arrow on the bottom right corner of the pic on flickr

--------------------
post Feb 18, 2018 - 8:53 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Feb 18, 2018 - 3:13 PM) *
Can't wait to see where this goes!

You know you can post pics straight from flickr here lol just copy and paste the link that pops up when you click the forward arrow on the bottom right corner of the pic on flickr

I knew that there had to be a way I just couldn't figure it out lol. Thanks for the help ill be sure to do it that way from here on.
post Feb 19, 2018 - 9:25 PM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Mmmmmm them Celica brakes, are you planning on keeping those or eventually going BBK?
post Feb 19, 2018 - 10:51 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Feb 19, 2018 - 9:25 PM) *
Mmmmmm them Celica brakes, are you planning on keeping those or eventually going BBK?

That is my big brake kit lol. I invested a lot into those. I rebuilt them completely and pared them with EBC rotors and red stuff pads.
post Feb 19, 2018 - 11:04 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

I finally got the car on the ground for the first time today since the start of the rebuild. As of now the front suspension is completely together minus the new front sway bar which will be coming in on Wednesday. I also picked up my 5SFE block from a buddy of mine that way I can pair it up with the transmission and start to working on getting measurements for mounting the AWD rear sub-frame. I geuss you could say that the real fun is about to begin. smile.gif

This post has been edited by dspain7: Feb 20, 2018 - 9:38 PM
post Feb 20, 2018 - 12:17 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

QUOTE (dspain7 @ Feb 19, 2018 - 11:51 PM) *
QUOTE (TimeslideZ @ Feb 19, 2018 - 9:25 PM) *

That is my big brake kit lol. I invested a lot into those. I rebuilt them completely and pared them with EBC rotors and red stuff pads.

Ha ha nice, I thought about getting gt4 brakes or bbk but it's just not necessary for my car atm. I'll just go get them dual piston avalon brakes hehehe for cheap.
post Feb 21, 2018 - 9:28 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Making quick work out of it! What are your plans for rear subframe mounts??

--------------------
post Feb 21, 2018 - 9:48 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

So yesterday I went with my friend to a buddy of ours Toyota yard and picked up some little things I needed for the build. I was able to get a gt brake proportion valve, gt power steering reservoir, and as a bonus a scored one of those extra padded center consul arm rests. Today I relocated the side marker lights to the back of the fender well so that they will fit the GT4 fenders, and my new sway bars came in. Sadly the ones I got where not the ones I ordered so I will need to get them exchanged. I bought some of the second run suspension technique bars which from what I have heard all came green like the ones that where being advertised. The ones that showed up on my porch today are black which I can only assume means its a first run and will hit the chassis. frown.gif

post Feb 21, 2018 - 9:52 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Feb 21, 2018 - 10:28 PM) *
Making quick work out of it! What are your plans for rear subframe mounts??

I am going to drop the engine and tranny in and use the driveshaft to help align everything up then my buddy down the street owns a machining shop and Im going to get him to help me build some mounts to bolt it in. Im probably going to take the easy route when it comes to the gas tank and im just going to get a racing tank and hang it from the floor pan behind the sub frame once its mounted in place.
post Feb 22, 2018 - 8:28 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

the grey/black bars are the second generation bars as far as I remember. At least for the rear that is, Id assume the same would be for the front.

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Feb 24, 2018 - 5:23 AM
+Quote Post
Durs

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 7, '17
From España
Currently Offline

Pinta muy bien este proyecto, los brazos de la suspensión donde los has comprado? y las pinzas de freno Celica son del GT4? te han encajado bien sin modificaciones?

Saludos desde España thumbsup.gif

--------------------
post Feb 24, 2018 - 10:48 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Durs @ Feb 24, 2018 - 5:23 AM) *
Pinta muy bien este proyecto, los brazos de la suspensión donde los has comprado? y las pinzas de freno Celica son del GT4? te han encajado bien sin modificaciones?

Saludos desde España thumbsup.gif

Lo siento de antemano, estoy usando Google translate para esto. Gracias por los cumplidos. Hice los brazos yo mismo, los pinté con la misma pintura que usé para el compartimiento del motor y puse nuevos bujes polly en ellos. Sí, los frenos están fuera del GT4.
post Feb 24, 2018 - 10:50 PM
+Quote Post
dspain7

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 10, '16
From NC
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Feb 22, 2018 - 8:28 AM) *
the grey/black bars are the second generation bars as far as I remember. At least for the rear that is, Id assume the same would be for the front.

You are right I test fitted them today and the shouldn't rub. I think the info I had got was really old lol. Sorry for the late reply I have just been busy with work Im hoping to get back to it later this coming week.

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:31 AM