> Car won't start, Fixed: cap and rotor
post Jan 23, 2010 - 2:37 PM
+Quote Post
jimmykay

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 14, '08
From St. Louis
Currently Offline

ok, here's the deal. Last sunday I had a dead battery, I have been putting off getting a new one, no big deal. I got a new one, put it in, everything is good. Drove around Sunday with no problems. I let it sit for 4 days and tried to start it Thursday to take it to work, and it won't start. No big deal, I'll take the other car and look at it today.

Today I get to messing with it and I am completely confused. I have spark, I have fuel, but it won't even begin to start. At least with a fresh battery it cranks really well. I really am at a loss.

I have pulled plugs 3 and 4, plugged them back into the plugwires and laid them on the valvecover to make sure that I was getting spark. I pulled off the dist cap and made sure that it looks ok. its kinda needing to be replaced, but it looks like it still has some life in it still, plus i'm getting spark anyway, so thats not the problem. I pulled my intake and had my dad spray starting fluid in the intake manifold as I cranked, nothing.

Any suggestions?

This post has been edited by jimmykay: Jan 24, 2010 - 4:08 PM

--------------------
'99 Celica GT - Sold
'11 Mazdaspeed3
post Jan 23, 2010 - 5:25 PM
+Quote Post
Mstoochn

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 27, '09
From West Coast Canada
Currently Offline

Alternator charges the battery... if it started fresh and u run it for awhile the alt isn't charging the battery your F'd again. Only other thing would be gronds, but if it starts on a fresh battery... Alt is your only culprate.

also, i have been put on permenant mod preview, cause im a jackass who cant follow simple forum rules.

This post has been edited by presure2: Jan 24, 2010 - 7:58 AM
post Jan 23, 2010 - 6:26 PM
+Quote Post
808celica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 24, '07
From Oahu, Hawaii
Currently Offline

you might be getting spark but is it enough??? you wont know smile.gif
do you have access to a multimeter?

in the Engine/Transmission/Maintenance forum up top is the stickies for the 5s check engine light codes. look for Code 12 to see how to check for the distributor resistance using a multimeter, also the resistance on the primary and secondary coils.

--------------------
I don't normally drive fast, but when I do its on a curvy section of this island
post Jan 23, 2010 - 6:35 PM
+Quote Post
D-Man

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 18, '08
From Houston
Currently Offline

starter?

--------------------
QUOTE (presure2 @ Nov 6, 2010 - 6:16 AM)
Via FB: fcuking awsome!!! D-man FTW!

QUOTE (DEATH @ Nov 11, 2008 - 5:40 PM) *
Damn D-Man - most impressive.

QUOTE (99GT @ Nov 14, 2008 - 4:04 PM) *
D-Man's post should be a sticky

QUOTE (samir0189 @ Nov 4, 2008 - 10:50 AM) *
LOL, oh boy, you can always count on D-Man for ridiculously hilarious posts.
post Jan 23, 2010 - 6:37 PM
+Quote Post
808celica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 24, '07
From Oahu, Hawaii
Currently Offline

or starter relay

cold start switch or injector (if its really that bad)

or as simple and worn out cap and rotor (even though you said it looks kinda good)

--------------------
I don't normally drive fast, but when I do its on a curvy section of this island
post Jan 23, 2010 - 6:53 PM
+Quote Post
D-Man

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 18, '08
From Houston
Currently Offline

QUOTE (808celica @ Jan 23, 2010 - 5:37 PM) *
or starter relay

cold start switch or injector (if its really that bad)

or as simple and worn out cap and rotor (even though you said it looks kinda good)

relay would make some noise yeah?

x2 on the cap. looks good is no nevermind, works good is the proper procedure. wink.gif

jimmy: how do you know you've got fuel delevery? 808 brings a good point. it's also quite likely you dont have the pressure to start up (or run) i've had that problem personaly.

ensure you've got enough fuel pressure. autozone'll rent ya the lil plug in device to measure... i think its 32lbs you're supposed to have? 32-35 something like that... dont quote me... i know for FACT that 12lbs = new fuel pump.

just sayin...

(good points 808; another win on your behalf) thumbsup.gif

--------------------

post Jan 23, 2010 - 7:14 PM
+Quote Post
SpadeBF

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 29, '09
From Detroit,MI
Currently Offline

Every now and then my car will crank and wont start, I try again it starts fine. I know that my starter is going bad so im guessin that may be your case, that is a diy job too but a new starter is expensive i think.

This post has been edited by SpadeBF: Jan 23, 2010 - 7:14 PM
post Jan 23, 2010 - 7:36 PM
+Quote Post
808celica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 24, '07
From Oahu, Hawaii
Currently Offline

lolz nah man you know more stuff that me. I just had these problems and couldn't solve them until recently.
I do know if you spray starter fluid that bypasses the fuel issue, but the car would've died right away.

--------------------
post Jan 23, 2010 - 7:59 PM
+Quote Post
D-Man

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 18, '08
From Houston
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SpadeBF @ Jan 23, 2010 - 6:14 PM) *
Every now and then my car will crank and wont start, I try again it starts fine. I know that my starter is going bad so im guessin that may be your case, that is a diy job too but a new starter is expensive i think.

yes sir. that can be a sign that a fuel pump is on it's way out. it has a diaphram that (as it ages) gets slight rips n tears in it. if it's small enough, then leaving it be for a few min and trying again (causing a startup) is possible.

just an idea. fuel pressure test is the only way to know for sure.

(it's happend to me MORE than once.

QUOTE (808celica @ Jan 23, 2010 - 6:36 PM) *
lolz nah man you know more stuff that me. I just had these problems and couldn't solve them until recently.
I do know if you spray starter fluid that bypasses the fuel issue, but the car would've died right away.

meh, that can sh!t is crap. and you know your stuff btw man. well, atleast enough to get/keep your stuff runnin wink.gif

lol 808 + Me =

"no you first", "no you first"
ROFL, idk who's old enough to remember that... but yeah... that's how i see it...
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

post Jan 24, 2010 - 2:23 AM
+Quote Post
808celica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 24, '07
From Oahu, Hawaii
Currently Offline

LOL i remember that stuff. well i hope you figure this thing out. i wont have access to a comp when im on vacation laugh.gif

--------------------
post Jan 24, 2010 - 11:13 AM
+Quote Post
jimmykay

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 14, '08
From St. Louis
Currently Offline

I'm sure its not the starter, the engine cranks and cranks like a champ.

I said I had fuel because when I pulled my plugs, they smelled like gas. And when I cranked it to see if I was getting spark, I got a spray of gas out of the open spark plug hole. plus i figured that if I sprayed starting fluid in the intake, and if it tried to start with that, then it would at least act a little differently and at the very least it would 'cough' at me.

I think i'll try replacing the cap and rotor, I'm sure they're due anyway. I'll also try the fuel pressure test

Where does the tester plug into? the bolt at the end of the fuel rail?

Normally i just subscribe to the thought that you need 3 things to get a car to start, or at least run really rough. fuel, spark, air. Hopefully I'm just not getting enough of one or the other. But I would think that it would at least try to start for me.

--------------------
'99 Celica GT - Sold
'11 Mazdaspeed3
post Jan 24, 2010 - 11:44 AM
+Quote Post
D-Man

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 18, '08
From Houston
Currently Offline

QUOTE (jimmykay @ Jan 24, 2010 - 10:13 AM) *
I'm sure its not the starter, the engine cranks and cranks like a champ.

I said I had fuel because when I pulled my plugs, they smelled like gas. And when I cranked it to see if I was getting spark, I got a spray of gas out of the open spark plug hole. plus i figured that if I sprayed starting fluid in the intake, and if it tried to start with that, then it would at least act a little differently and at the very least it would 'cough' at me.

I think i'll try replacing the cap and rotor, I'm sure they're due anyway. I'll also try the fuel pressure test

Where does the tester plug into? the bolt at the end of the fuel rail?

Normally i just subscribe to the thought that you need 3 things to get a car to start, or at least run really rough. fuel, spark, air. Hopefully I'm just not getting enough of one or the other. But I would think that it would at least try to start for me.

yes; auto store will do it for ya though. Don't work harder than you have to wink.gif

and

that's my guess as of right now; ensure proper pressure in fuel line. it could be as easy as a clogged filter. unlikely, but it has happened. How often do you get your gas tank suggared? laugh.gif

let us know about the test. biggrin.gif

--------------------

post Jan 24, 2010 - 1:37 PM
+Quote Post
jimmykay

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 14, '08
From St. Louis
Currently Offline

well, thanks for all of the help guys. I figured I'd pick up a cheap cap and rotor at autozone since i was there and i didn't want to drive 25 minutes there and back to the toyota dealer. anyway, replaced the cap and rotor, and well, upon closer inspection, the rotor was way overdue. changed them and plugged everything up and sputter, sputter, vroom, sputter sputter died. YAY thats a world of difference.

I cranked it again and it started up after some hesitation. and died. then I started it again with little problem and ran it for a few minutes. My guess is that all of the gas that just sat in there, plus the little bit of starter fluid might be in there. I shut it back down and started it again a few minutes later just to make sure, and yup, it started again just like normal.

she was smoking like a chimney when I started her the first time, but its better now. I can't pinpoint what the smell is, maybe gas/oil. its a white smoke. I'll deal with that later. Also, I figured that I'll do the fuel pressure test since I have the tester. results of that to follow later when I get to it.

Summary: Dist cap and rotor mostly fixed it.

This post has been edited by jimmykay: Jan 24, 2010 - 1:37 PM

--------------------
'99 Celica GT - Sold
'11 Mazdaspeed3
post Jan 24, 2010 - 2:03 PM
+Quote Post
808celica

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 24, '07
From Oahu, Hawaii
Currently Offline

you got fuel, dont worry. the white smoke is just the starter fluid or deposits that's leaving your car.

.....it is thick white smoke?

--------------------
post Jan 24, 2010 - 3:01 PM
+Quote Post
jimmykay

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 14, '08
From St. Louis
Currently Offline

tested the fuel pump just for giggles since i had the tester. 46psi i'm good. and its really easy to get to. remove the bolt on the top of the fuel filter on the driver's side fender wall (under the intake piping). plug the gauge into there, and start it up.

yeah, i' figured that the white smoke was just the extra gas and starter fluid. i'm gonna go run it around town a little bit and see if it stops.

Thanks again guys. 6gc ftw

--------------------
'99 Celica GT - Sold
'11 Mazdaspeed3
post Jan 24, 2010 - 6:59 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

check your oil, smell it, if it smells strong like fuel then change it as soon as you can.

--------------------
post Jan 24, 2010 - 8:03 PM
+Quote Post
bmj67

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 23, '08
Currently Offline

if the white smoke has a sweet smell to it it could be burning coolant. normally burning too much fuel results in a black smoke and burning oil is a blueish smoke
post Jan 24, 2010 - 8:07 PM
+Quote Post
trdproven

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 2, '05
From Guam
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bmj67 @ Jan 25, 2010 - 11:03 AM) *
if the white smoke has a sweet smell to it it could be burning coolant. normally burning too much fuel results in a black smoke and burning oil is a blueish smoke

too much fuel or oil leak in your valves is black smoke
Bluish smoke is coolant
white smoke is either coolant, condensation, or bad catalytic.

--------------------
94 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tom's|Competition Clutch|5Zigen|Apexi|
|Laille/Beatrush|Magnecor|Denso|Royal Purple|Optima|PIAA|PW JDM|Megan Racing|Nitto|
|Work|Greddy|Samco|Project Mu|H&R|Gates|Moog|Rota|Yokohama|Epman|1320|Upgr8
04 Celica GT
|Toyota OEM Japan|Toyota Racing Development|Tein|BC Racing|Greddy|

89 Supra (Sold)
90 Supra (Sold)
post Jan 24, 2010 - 8:32 PM
+Quote Post
bmj67

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 23, '08
Currently Offline

when my car had a bad hg the smoke was not bluish it was white from the coolant. oil makes the bluish smoke if there is enough getting into the combustion chamber i know this for sure because my atv had bad rings and it smoked like hell before i got it fixed.
post Jan 24, 2010 - 8:33 PM
+Quote Post
D-Man

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 18, '08
From Houston
Currently Offline

^^^ exactly correct sir ^^^

JIMMYKAY; your OP says that you had spark confused.gif

well, glad to hear that it's done. problem-solution. biggrin.gif

[/thread]

This post has been edited by D-Man: Jan 24, 2010 - 8:33 PM

--------------------

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 1:10 PM