2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 23, 2014 - 8:09 PM
+Quote Post
CAcelica29

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 26, '11
From ventura, ca
Currently Offline

im gonna wait till next summer to do my swap. that way i can wait for these write ups and instructions biggrin.gif
post Jul 29, 2014 - 10:29 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

Ok here is a BIG update!!!!!

this is the mod you have to do with the EGR cooler on the 1MZ. i didnt get a side pic to show how the flange sticks out. But what you have to do is cut the flange off, then weld the flange right onto the pipe. This is necessary to help clear the steering rack. I will also plug the O2 sensor port here and the sensor will be located on the Y pipe.

Now to the good stuff.

If you get an Auto 1MZ it will prpbably come with the flex plate like this. You will need to remove it and get a Flywheel and new flywheel bolts.

Here is the Fidanza (highly recommended) flywheel and ARP studs (also highly recommended)

Here is the Southbend Clutch mounted. Again i recommend this clutch, call Southbend and talk to Andy or John in the imports dept. and tell them you are doing a 1MZ swap using the stock S54 transmission. They will provide the correct clutch.

Ok now onto mounting the S54. the top 2 bolts are perfectly aligned, you dont have to do anything to them.

This bolt hole is right under the starter location. in this location the 5S-FE uses 14mm bolt so the hole is smaller. you need to use a drill bit to open the hole to support the larger bolt that the 1MZ block accepts

Here is a look at the bottom of the block, the 2 bottom holes do not line up.

What im going to come up with is a plate that bolts to the 2 holes you see on the 1MZ block and then has a single hole for the transmission to bolt to. Ill Post pics of that when I build the plate.

This hole again is for the larger E153 to bolt to the 1MZ, in this case you will use a smaller 14mm bolt through the engine and into the trans.

Here is the Auto rear header. It is slightly longer and angled differently than the manual rear header. you want to get your hand on the Manual header, its easier on the shift cables and that tab does not hit the transmission.

Here is the MT header. I cut off that tab, its not used.

side by side of the headers

The puny 7A-FE and auto trans coming out.

Here is a shot of the power steering lines. I haven't determined if both of these ends get re-used, but they do need to be rotated up, loosen the bolts and just rotate the hoses up to the firewall.

Out comes the auto gear selector. This was really straight forward.

Push in on this button to release the selector, pull it down to make it easier to get out.

The HUGE Auto brake pedal needs to come out.

Looking under the dash, you can see the location for the clutch pedal and master cylinder mounting.

Take out this nut and bolt to get the brake pedal out

Holes Drilled, the center hole needs to be bigger.

Manual brake pedal installed.

Clutch pedal assembly installed. Luckily the clutch start switch wiring was there so I just had to plug it in.

This is where part of the clutch lines are mounted

Hole for the shifter cable

Shifter assembly installed

While i had everything open, i swapped out the ECU

back to the power steering lines

here you can see the ST and GT passenger side mounting bolt holes. The ST are in black and GT are in red. Since this is an ST im going to try to fab up some plate to use the stock body mount that will bolt to the 1MZ

This was an ST auto so all the transmission mounts had to be purchased. Ill add the part numbers when I get a chance.

and where it sits now.

Im also about 88% done with the wiring harness. It takes me about 12 hours to do the entire harness. Its not as easy as it sounds. There is lots of splicing and routing of wires.

This post has been edited by Smaay: Jul 29, 2014 - 11:25 AM

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jul 29, 2014 - 8:21 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Good stuff so far.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Jul 30, 2014 - 12:10 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Hell yea!
I really need to do a write up for mine frown.gif
But any write up you do will be better then I could pull off

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Jul 30, 2014 - 7:59 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

Part numbers for the mounts are:

Front Trans Mount 12311-74180
Front Body Mount 12360-74050
Drivers Trans Mount 12325-74240
Drivers Body Mount 12372-74450
Rear Trans Mount 12321-74320
Rear body Mount 12371-74410

These are not cheap from the dealer, so i suggest you plan ahead and find them from a junkyard or on ebay

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jul 31, 2014 - 6:18 PM
+Quote Post
97cecilia

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 25, '14
From california
Currently Offline

Man. That was a he'll of a write up. I can't believe I'm reading about my car. I would always dream of me doing this swap and now Its happening can't wait. Thanks for the update smaay.

Man. That was a he'll of a write up. I can't believe I'm reading about my car. I would always dream of me doing this swap and now Its happening can't wait. Thanks for the update smaay.
post Aug 13, 2014 - 8:14 PM
+Quote Post
kevin311

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 23, '12
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

Been waiting to see this write up. Smaay is right about the engine and trans mounts, from factory those bastards are not cheap. I'm starting to scout tidbits in the local yards for my swap hopefully next spring. Smaay could you try to detail the vac lines and specify the fuel return setup? Great write up so far, I look forward to the next update!
post Aug 13, 2014 - 9:27 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

Man smaay you make the v6 swap look so easy. Lol.

--------------------
post Aug 14, 2014 - 12:43 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

it is the same difficulty as the 3S-GTE or BEAMS. well BEAMS in a GT is the easiest.

I would say the hardest part of this swap is the wiring. the V6 harness and celica need to be morphed together and extended. I spend over 20 hours working on the harness making sure all the wire colors match and properly solder and shrinkwrap all connections.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Aug 14, 2014 - 3:35 AM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

I'm guessing besides the wiring part its just getting those small things modded to fit or finding a header from a mt 1mzfe. Lol. Soon when my car hits 300k, for sure ima have to do something to my motor and transmission. Rebuild the motor or swap it for the 1mz. Which most likely il be doing. Ima rebuild the s54 also. Hopefully. I heard it's an easy job but never looked into it yet

--------------------
post Aug 20, 2014 - 6:16 PM
+Quote Post
97cecilia

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 25, '14
From california
Currently Offline

How about the dakota digital was that hard? And also the gauge cluster i bought is in kkilometers i need to find the gauge cluster thats in miles
post Aug 24, 2014 - 2:45 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

I've notices the clutch line connections are different for the 6gc. There are two different set ups the one on my 99 Celica connects straight to the hard line above the transmission and 94-95 models I'm guessing connects to an adapter that attached to the firewall. What's the advantage on the newer 6gc...

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Sep 6, 2014 - 10:47 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

update time:

Turned the key... nothing happened....

here is the reason. this is the starting drawing

if you look at the drawing you see 2 paths coming off the starter fuse. one path is AT and the other is MT. when I installed the clutch pedal and found the plug for the clutch start switch i was hoping to get lucky and the entire circuit was there. well it was not. the section from the starter fuse to ID1 is not on the car because this was originally an automatic. I figured out where the AT path is behind the fuse box and made a jumper wire to go from that AT path to the downside of ID1 and BOOM! It fired right up!!!!

The engine is running.

This post has been edited by Smaay: Sep 6, 2014 - 10:48 PM

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Sep 7, 2014 - 8:39 AM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

Nice! I'm so jealous of the v6 swap!

--------------------
post Sep 7, 2014 - 11:41 AM
+Quote Post
955SFE

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 20, '13
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

You should start a 1MZ-FE garage business for our Celicas tongue.gif

This post has been edited by 955SFE: Sep 7, 2014 - 11:41 AM

--------------------
post Sep 7, 2014 - 2:07 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Sep 6, 2014 - 10:47 PM) *
update time:

Turned the key... nothing happened....

here is the reason. this is the starting drawing

if you look at the drawing you see 2 paths coming off the starter fuse. one path is AT and the other is MT. when I installed the clutch pedal and found the plug for the clutch start switch i was hoping to get lucky and the entire circuit was there. well it was not. the section from the starter fuse to ID1 is not on the car because this was originally an automatic. I figured out where the AT path is behind the fuse box and made a jumper wire to go from that AT path to the downside of ID1 and BOOM! It fired right up!!!!

The engine is running.

I ran into the same issue with my manual conversion. The main problem is the fact that the wiring diagrams don't specify which part of the circuit is provided by the chassis harness, and which part belongs to the engine loom. It makes it tricky to figure out what has to be recreated to accommodate a swap. I ended up bridging the neutral safety switch plug in the engine bay and bypassed the clutch start circuit entirely. It's only temporary until the 3s goes in

This post has been edited by enderswift: Sep 7, 2014 - 2:16 PM

--------------------
post Sep 9, 2014 - 7:52 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

drove the car again last night. let me tell you, in this configuration, 1MZ-FE 3.0L with the GT S54 transmission, this car feels just like mine out of the hole. It starts to drop off around 4500 where mine keeps pulling because of the VVT cams locked in the retarded position.

This car is fun to drive and hopefully it will get more people interested in a V6 swap.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Sep 9, 2014 - 12:20 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

Nice! I'm the future I should have this swap also. Lol.

--------------------
post Sep 10, 2014 - 9:11 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

I have more pictures of how i did the fuel pump setup and converted the fuel system to a non return that the 97 camry uses.

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:02 AM