6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Operation: DARKSPYRO, AWD Conversion, Completed. Driven. Sold.
post Feb 26, 2013 - 10:00 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

It is an FX300. Though i jumped the gun getting it because its for mating the s54 and 3sgte haha

--------------------
post Mar 19, 2013 - 11:29 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

11-18 MARCH 13
I took delivery of the package!

And again, I went straight to work on getting it all out and in

That size difference redface.gif

Got some help

Got her in! (This pic was right at start up. I tidied up the wires and stuff. Don't worry haha)

At this point, I was having a fueling issue. I ran a 12ga wire and relay for the pump thinking it just wasn't getting enough current.
Turns out the fuel pump resistor pack wasn't completely plugged in.

Still have to fix that little gap rolleyes.gif

Finished!

References used:

-Pump wiring by Lagos
-3SGTE wiring explained
-Wiring by Manny

Phase 1 Debrief:

-I ended up pulling the frame over the 3sgte engine. Rear output shaft housing kept getting stuck in between the subframe and steering rack.
-Missed the sneaky fuel return line to the gas tank. Spewed gas all over the floor on first start up kindasad.gif
-Fuel pump resistor pack wasn't completely plugged in. Ran for 20 seconds and then died. Plugged in now. Works.

Upcoming:
-Until Phase 2 begins, I will be focusing on cleaning everything up, exhaust, tuning, wheels, and suspension.

Stay Tuned!

--------------------
post Mar 19, 2013 - 11:34 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

That was fast. Good work!

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 19, 2013 - 1:26 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

you make it look easy. very nice work!

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Mar 20, 2013 - 6:36 AM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

Good Work!!!

--------------------
post Mar 20, 2013 - 10:52 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

How did I miss this thread?!

I can't begin to tell you how frustrating cutting spot welds are. I did mine as full rhd so I cut the firewall out. The floor pan would suck. But new-stars is great! Good buy.
You also changed the motor how I did. Drop the subframe out the front.
You would have had to have changed the steering rack though right? Or did I miss something there?
This is my kinda swap though! Quick. Enjoy it and drive it, don't spend 1500 and a years worth of time rebuilding an engine that needs no attention.

--------------------
post Mar 20, 2013 - 8:01 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Thanks for the replies guys! I definitely wasted no time last week to get it done!

QUOTE (ricochet1490 @ Mar 20, 2013 - 11:52 AM) *
How did I miss this thread?!

I can't begin to tell you how frustrating cutting spot welds are. I did mine as full rhd so I cut the firewall out. The floor pan would suck. But new-stars is great! Good buy.
You also changed the motor how I did. Drop the subframe out the front.
You would have had to have changed the steering rack though right? Or did I miss something there?
This is my kinda swap though! Quick. Enjoy it and drive it, don't spend 1500 and a years worth of time rebuilding an engine that needs no attention.

Yeah, I don't think I'll be swapping floor pans haha It's easy enough to make the brackets for the rear subframe for the awd conversion! But I'm not doing rhd at all. Nothing needed with the steering rack. Unless I use the GT4 suspension, then I'd just need the tie rod ends tongue.gif I have emissions and visual tests and cops to worry about here so it's staying LHD. (I used to live in Dayton. I really miss their registration process laugh.gif )

I will definitely be driving and enjoying it wink.gif

--------------------
post Mar 20, 2013 - 8:12 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

how in gods name did that clip get delivered like that, must be heavy...

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Mar 20, 2013 - 8:14 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

You can pass emissions with e 3S-GTE in Colorado? The wifey wants to move to Colorado but I'm fairly certain we couldn't register our Celica there, so I'll be interested to hear how it's done.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Mar 20, 2013 - 9:23 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Mar 20, 2013 - 9:12 PM) *
how in gods name did that clip get delivered like that, must be heavy...

2,095lbs to be exact wink.gif it was..interesting to say the very least. At the distribution center loading dock, they used a fork lift to push it across the floor and into my truck. From there, I used a fork lift with fork extenders and chains to get it in the shop. Very sketchy..for sure..

QUOTE (richee3 @ Mar 20, 2013 - 9:14 PM) *
You can pass emissions with e 3S-GTE in Colorado? The wifey wants to move to Colorado but I'm fairly certain we couldn't register our Celica there, so I'll be interested to hear how it's done.

I'll let you know laugh.gif Worst case, I have a buddy in the Springs that will let me register it at his address. They don't do emissions there..Actually, quite a bit of colorado doesn't do emissions but the parts that do, really flaunt their environmentalist/hippy facade. Bunch of BS though. I'd venture to say a lawnmower spits out more s**t in a year than a car does..

Other than that, Colorado is absolutely beautiful biggrin.gif I moved out here for school. My entire family followed me the next year haha Definitely a great place to live if you're into the outdoors!

--------------------
post Mar 20, 2013 - 11:07 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

From here..pushed through the bay door the guy in back is opening.

Into here...Barely fit haha

That poor fork lift haha

--------------------
post Mar 21, 2013 - 1:05 AM
+Quote Post
match220

Enthusiast
Joined May 13, '06
From Kaimuki, HI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Feb 10, 2013 - 8:23 AM) *

haha..I have a picture of me like this somewhere when I pulled out my 5s. Except I'm sitting in a chair reading a magazine.

Nice build though! In hindsight I should have had a clip shipped to me instead of building one from a parted out 3s. It's hard enough trying to find 1 part from the engine (brackets..mounts..etc), but 30 - 40 parts..ugh. I'm glad I'm done!

--------------------
-Jay

95 GT conv. project car: Manual, Gen III 3sgte, JN pisons, Eagle rods, overbore, crank knife-edged, crank scraper, ARP head/main/flywheel, Autronic EMS, Haltech Dual Wideband O2 controller, Audi 1.8T individual coils, FMIC and SSQV BOV, 3" downpipe, 3" ultra-high-flow cat, 2.5" Borla muffler, +other
01 S2000: FMIC, Haltech EMS, Haltech wideband, 570cc inj, forged pistons/rods, sleeved block, 5 angle valve job, ported and polished
02 R6, all stock, except for braided stainless brake lines, frame sliders, and adjustable brake/clutch leve
post Mar 21, 2013 - 12:09 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

dang, thats it. there is no way i can order that clip like that, where in gods name i get a fork lift.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Mar 23, 2013 - 6:42 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

A little bit of an update:

Drove down to the Springs...

To get these woot.gif It's finally legal *kind of* haha Had to register it with my friends address...

Cleaned it up a little bit..Still very dirty. Previous owner trashed it.

Have to rewrap the steering wheel and get rid of that awful pseudo-wood

--------------------
post Mar 24, 2013 - 10:40 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

Nice work dude! Drive down to the springs isn't bad when its not pouring like it did when I got my car lol
post Mar 24, 2013 - 10:18 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (playr158 @ Mar 24, 2013 - 10:40 AM) *
Nice work dude! Drive down to the springs isn't bad when its not pouring like it did when I got my car lol

Haha thanks man! I drove through a blizzard the day I bought the Celi though. It was up in Boulder! Half an hour seems like an eternity when your car is overheating and you can't see anything!

I went up some canyon roads today. Wow, I missed driving a Celica haha

--------------------
post Mar 25, 2013 - 8:54 PM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

Ordered:
-Optima Red Top Battery
-HKS Hi-Power Silent Exhaust 3in

woot.gif

--------------------
post Mar 26, 2013 - 8:52 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Malek @ Mar 24, 2013 - 11:18 PM) *

Haha thanks man! I drove through a blizzard the day I bought the Celi though. It was up in Boulder! Half an hour seems like an eternity when your car is overheating and you can't see anything!

I miss climbing in that area frown.gif

glad you're enjoying the car though!!

you still going to do the AWD on it?

This post has been edited by playr158: Mar 26, 2013 - 8:54 AM
post Mar 26, 2013 - 10:44 AM
+Quote Post
Malek

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 26, '09
From Los Angeles
Currently Offline

QUOTE (playr158 @ Mar 26, 2013 - 8:52 AM) *
QUOTE (Malek @ Mar 24, 2013 - 11:18 PM) *

I miss climbing in that area frown.gif

glad you're enjoying the car though!!

you still going to do the AWD on it?

Are you still in Colorado??
But yeah, so far I'm still on for AWD conversion. I dropped the rear subframe yesterday. I just need to drill out the driveshaft mount. I only got the front mount but it's better than nothing!

I won't start the AWD conversion probably until the summer. Need to give my hands a break laugh.gif

--------------------
post Mar 26, 2013 - 11:08 AM
+Quote Post
playr158

Enthusiast
Joined May 22, '03
From NOVA
Currently Offline

I've always lived in VA. But I visit Denver a few times a year and I bought my Audi in Colo springs. Would like to move their eventually!

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:48 PM