6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 345 346 347 348 349 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Nov 11, 2019 - 9:37 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

I hate rust. Miata rocker has the cancer.

Anyone good with DIY rigs? Mine crashed during gaming yesterday and now only the GPU and HDD will turn on. Removing the GPU makes no difference. All connections look good. I want to test the PSU but I can’t find a paper clip and my multimeter is somewhere in a box because moving. However, since the PSU is putting out something to run the GPU and HDD...dead mobo or processor?

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 11, 2019 - 2:57 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Post up the specs, but a dead psu would be my top guess.

--------------------
post Nov 11, 2019 - 4:36 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Boy I hope so and not the mobo, but either way, why would the GPU run? That seems to me the most power-hungry item, or is it getting priority for that reason and the PSU can’t do **** else?

i5-4590 @ OC to 3.7gHz
Gigabyte H97M-D3H
Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280x 3GB
Corsair CX600M 600w PSU
G.Skills Ripjaws 4GB @ 1600mHz x2
Cooler Master N300 case + two extra fans

Also this thread for more info.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Nov 17, 2019 - 8:43 PM

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 11, 2019 - 8:04 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Well a PSU has several different rails in it, if one failed but the other parts work then weird **** happens.
https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu...-8&oe=utf-8

--------------------
post Nov 11, 2019 - 10:48 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Oh so she's not like us and drives old pieces of crap, ok. laugh.gif

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 12, 2019 - 2:51 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 11, 2019 - 8:04 PM) *
Well a PSU has several different rails in it, if one failed but the other parts work then weird **** happens.
https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu...-8&oe=utf-8

Thank you for reminding me that I should have Googled first and for doing so. PSU runs with a paper clip jump so onto the multimeter...

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 14, 2019 - 5:22 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Okay, the 24-pin seems good, as do readings from the molex and PCI connectors. Thermal paste and reseating the CPU is next.

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 14, 2019 - 7:41 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Hmm. The CPU 12V connector is putting out good?

--------------------
post Nov 16, 2019 - 6:47 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Scrubbed the driver side half of the windshield on the Mazda with 3M rubbing compound on my glass pad and did further reduce some scratches and imperfections, treated the freshly virginized glass with Mothers CMX to see how it compares against Rain-X in terms of water beading and durability. Cerium Oxide and a rotary would really let me polish it, I've been thinking about getting a rotary anyway but I'm not exactly sure what I could do with it that I can't do with my Dual Action more slowly, except glass which the DA is just not suited for. To me a rotary is for heavier cutting work than I'm probably ever going to be doing, but I know you do do lighter work and they're less stressful on the arms and body to use. I'll research it more during the dead season here. In the mean time I think I want to get an orange peel cutting pad and have a go at making some paint more glassy smooth on her Escape and a couple spots on my Celica and maybe part of the Mazda if I can get it out of the weather long enough to screw with. They're zero nap pads with either felt or denim fabric and a little foam cushion behind them, they cut only the peaks off the paint to bring it all level instead of polishing the valleys as well. The back of the hatch on the Celica has always bothered me a bit, I think an orange peel pad on the DA with a find polish could take that down to a more pleasing surface.

--------------------
post Nov 16, 2019 - 8:16 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 14, 2019 - 7:41 PM) *

Power cable? Yes. Threw in a CX750, no GPU or CD drive, and she boots but I have no display through the mobo and it restarts every 10 seconds and I’m not liking that. I think I wired up everything correctly but I’m not certain. Wasn’t able to redo the paste either because I can’t get the fan connector off with the mobo in the case.

Thorough job on your glass polishing by the way.

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 16, 2019 - 10:30 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

You can really **** up **** with a rotary, so it'll let you do that.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 16, 2019 - 11:27 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 16, 2019 - 9:30 PM) *
You can really **** up **** with a rotary, so it'll let you do that.

You should get a door or hood from the junkyard to practice on till you get a car.

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Nov 16, 2019 - 7:16 PM) *
QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 14, 2019 - 7:41 PM) *

Power cable? Yes. Threw in a CX750, no GPU or CD drive, and she boots but I have no display through the mobo and it restarts every 10 seconds and I’m not liking that. I think I wired up everything correctly but I’m not certain. Wasn’t able to redo the paste either because I can’t get the fan connector off with the mobo in the case.

Thorough job on your glass polishing by the way.

If the graphics card is in the slot it'll be trying to put out through that, even if the power cable isn't on it and the monitor is connected to the board.

--------------------
post Nov 17, 2019 - 1:09 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Just have the DA orbital for that reason, the skill level to use a rotary better than the DA I don't have the time and patience for perfecting. Besides I can't use anything besides a dinky hand orbital because of the fibro unless I want white finger that takes a few days to go away, and even that has its limits.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 17, 2019 - 5:28 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Rotary are actually easier on you because they don't shake side to side. The DA gets tiring on larger projects pretty quickly...but I also have a low end DA with a low end backing plate because I STILL cannot find the good backing plate I bought for it and that's really pissing me off still.

--------------------
post Nov 17, 2019 - 8:25 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 16, 2019 - 11:27 PM) *
If the graphics card is in the slot it'll be trying to put out through that, even if the power cable isn't on it and the monitor is connected to the board.

I wish that was my mistake...the GPU is out, as is the CD drive...wanting to eliminate variables so I tried to start it up basic. Even if that was the issue, it still shouldn’t run a restart cycle on its own. Let me try removing a stick of RAM and see where it goes.

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 17, 2019 - 8:40 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Sadly it's time to start swapping parts and really thoroughly examining the system for signs of damage like a burned component or something shorted. If you need a test CPU you can grab a Celeron G1820 for $20 and under shipped to test the board with. If you'd cover postage both ways I have RAM, CPU, GPU, and motherboard which all work that I could ship you, as long as I get it back when you're done testing. G1820 CPU, 2x2GB DDR3 1333, Radeon R7 250, and a H97 Asus board. It's not fast but it all DOES work together under Linux. Assuming the board fits in a flat rate box with packing (I'd need to check) it's be like $40 round trip to ship it all there and then back again, still cheaper than getting the parts one by one but on the other hand you'd end up with a second low spec PC as a backup. That's how I end up with stuff and always have spares.

Also, how did you OC a non K on a H97 board? Both those should be locked up, the CPU has a locked multi and the board (non Z) should have a locked reference clock.

This post has been edited by Bitter: Nov 17, 2019 - 8:42 AM

--------------------
post Nov 17, 2019 - 10:43 AM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

You’re a good guy, great offer. Played around with the memory this morning, took a stick out and I got display and to the desktop as usual. Swapped it with the other stick and no display but the PC didn’t cycle on or off. Swapped them both in where they used to be and I got display and desktop as it should be.

????

I guess I didn’t click them in well or something when I was messing around. Running MemTest86 now to check.

The mobo looks good as far as I can see. Hoping for the best and no more issues. Seriously though, that is really nice of you to offer help like that. As for the OC, I didn’t think I could either but it’s a BIOS option and has never given me issues. CPU temp has never gone over 65 according to HWMonitor, and it’s been really stable other than the recent issues.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Nov 17, 2019 - 10:58 AM

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE
post Nov 17, 2019 - 12:11 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Huh that's odd. I've had bad ram seating mess with me before but it's usually at the time of build not much later on. Well you got a better PSU out of the ordeal thankfully so that's good and you've got a crappy spare PSU now for backup/testing/another build.
I know some H series boards could multiplier OC K processors until Intel quashed that through some updates. I guess never update your bios lol.
Meh, I've got hardware coming out of my ears it seems like, I shipped off a bunch of old crap to someone a while ago so it's not as bad now but I still have too much stuff laying around cluttering me up that I never use. Sending my dad a new PC, just need to get the GPU for it later this/early next month then wait on the SSD mounting screws from China. Kind of a sleeper, HP SFF system with 16GB RAM, a low power i5 (so it never throttles), and a GTX 1650. Whole system is under 200W at full pull and it'll run nice and cool even down in the high ambient temps where he lives, it's also nice and compact with low noise. A stronger CPU would be ideal but the heatsink is pretty small on this machine so anything higher wattage would likely thermally throttle or make the computer sound like a hair dryer when it's running all out, neither of those are ideal situations to send to a family member!

--------------------
post Nov 17, 2019 - 2:49 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 17, 2019 - 4:28 AM) *
Rotary are actually easier on you because they don't shake side to side. The DA gets tiring on larger projects pretty quickly...but I also have a low end DA with a low end backing plate because I STILL cannot find the good backing plate I bought for it and that's really pissing me off still.

Hmm, that makes sense. Maybe they make dinky hand rotaries too. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Box: Nov 17, 2019 - 2:50 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 17, 2019 - 8:37 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 17, 2019 - 12:11 PM) *
Huh that's odd. I've had bad ram seating mess with me before but it's usually at the time of build not much later on. Well you got a better PSU out of the ordeal thankfully so that's good and you've got a crappy spare PSU now for backup/testing/another build.
I know some H series boards could multiplier OC K processors until Intel quashed that through some updates. I guess never update your bios lol.
Meh, I've got hardware coming out of my ears it seems like, I shipped off a bunch of old crap to someone a while ago so it's not as bad now but I still have too much stuff laying around cluttering me up that I never use. Sending my dad a new PC, just need to get the GPU for it later this/early next month then wait on the SSD mounting screws from China. Kind of a sleeper, HP SFF system with 16GB RAM, a low power i5 (so it never throttles), and a GTX 1650. Whole system is under 200W at full pull and it'll run nice and cool even down in the high ambient temps where he lives, it's also nice and compact with low noise. A stronger CPU would be ideal but the heatsink is pretty small on this machine so anything higher wattage would likely thermally throttle or make the computer sound like a hair dryer when it's running all out, neither of those are ideal situations to send to a family member!

Right? I am as or more confused than you are. That sounds like a good setup there, I’ve been happy with my i5.

MemTest ran without error for almost two hours, then I slapped the GPU back in and I was getting the same display and restart errors. Took it out again, and it was STILL doing it with display out through the mobo. Repeated the drill with the ram, and after swapping them it ran fine. Put the GPU back in and now it’s seemingly okay, with the exception of one dead GPU fan. rolleyes.gif It has two more and the case has eight in total, so it’s not a big deal but strange. I’m only seeing high 60s on the GPU after watching Assetto Corsa replays, so I’m not messing with it tonight. The card has seen some **** between taking it out to move, beside however many times I’ve taken it out over the past week. I can’t be mad, just happy that nothing is seriously fried. You’re right that I at least have a good PSU now, apparently this card requires 750w and I didn’t know that when I put this together, although I never had issues before this. If that’s all that bit it I’m okay, and hopefully no more surprises for a while. The only thing I would want is another 8gb of ram, but I’m not using it all as is so even that can wait.

--------------------
'93 MX-5 LE

400 Pages V  « < 345 346 347 348 349 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 12:31 PM