Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can a bad filler neck cause stalling?, ^^^^
post Dec 10, 2010 - 3:11 PM
+Quote Post
Tech-Nics

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '08
Currently Offline

Just wanted to know if anyone dealt with a rotted filler neck. I know my filler neck is bad cause I smell gas coming from the filler neck before it goes to the tank and it's rusted pretty bad and when I touch the filler neck in the really bad rotted spots I get gas on my hands. Now can this cause stalling after a little while of driving cause of low fuel pressure caused by a faulty filler neck.

*Something happened to my previous thread*

My car has been stalling after driving for 25 minuets or so and then after it stalls it won't turn back on it only cranks/turns over. I have to wait about 45 minuets and then the car starts right up and can drive for another 20 minuets before it stalls out again and won't turn back on. I asked around about the fuel filter, but everyone keeps telling me that it's not the fuel filter or the pump cause if it was my car would stall out even in shorter travels. Also apparently our cars have a very good track record when it comes to our fuel systems. So I don't know for sure if it's electrical or fuel related. The car is not throwing any lights on the cluster. Also the car only stalls when I'm driving. I left my car idling for almost a half hour yesterday and it did not stall once. So this only happens when driving and coming to stops or sudden slow downs, Basically at low RPMs. Also I've notice I car's oil temp has been running cold. I know it's been very cold her lately but the needle on the temp gauge barely makes it over the "C". I just had a new Radiator installed on 11/29.

When the car stalls and I try to turn it on I hear a light hum and then a low click sound after I let the key go when it doesn't fire. Is that the fuel pump? If it is that means it's obviously working.

Engine: 5sfe
trans: Auto
miles: 182k

What's been done in the past year.
* New radiator
* New thermostat
* New IGN wires
* New distributor
* New starter (serviced all connections & battery)

What's been done in the past 2 years.
* New timing belts
* New cam seal
* New oil pump seal
* New water pump

This post has been edited by Tech-Nics: Dec 10, 2010 - 3:13 PM
post Dec 10, 2010 - 3:58 PM
+Quote Post
Stambo

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 23, '08
From Muskego,Wi
Currently Offline

No, the fuel pressure is made from the fuel pump nothing else, the only thing the filler neck would really do is create a evap leak which can cause you to fail emissions.

--------------------
2nd Gen 3s-gte.... It lives!

97celiman
"92-gt-quit making up random acronyms that dont mean anything. the only real acronym is JDM"
post Dec 10, 2010 - 11:15 PM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

this is happening to my friend with a nissan 200sx..or something like that. he replaced the fuel pressure regulator and all the stalling problemes he was having like you stopped, just a sugestion

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Dec 11, 2010 - 8:14 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

change the thermostat for the cold engine issue.

--------------------
post Dec 11, 2010 - 1:40 PM
+Quote Post
Stambo

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 23, '08
From Muskego,Wi
Currently Offline

check fuel pressure and spark when the car dies.

--------------------
2nd Gen 3s-gte.... It lives!

97celiman
"92-gt-quit making up random acronyms that dont mean anything. the only real acronym is JDM"
post Dec 13, 2010 - 3:54 AM
+Quote Post
PolliS_5S-FE

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 29, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

I had the same problem, woul drive for about 20min or so and it'd stall for around 45min then start up again, turned out to be faulty ignition coil (it was actually cracked lol)

edit: really bad punctuation :S

This post has been edited by PolliS_5S-FE: Dec 13, 2010 - 3:56 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 9:57 AM