6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Changed: Bad Motor mount!, Need torque specs!
post Dec 1, 2010 - 10:17 AM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

Ok, changed my topic. Popped my hood and took a quick look, it was obvious: Bad motor mount. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic in the dark, but can you see how the engine is leaning toward the passenger side? The timing cover is pretty close to resting on the side of the mount.

What brand and where should I order new mounts? I figure I'll just knock all of them out at the same time.

This post has been edited by blu94gt: Dec 6, 2010 - 2:03 PM

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 1, 2010 - 1:01 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

You will have to get the axle carrier bracket pressed off, and then the bearing pressed off as well.
Then you will need to get a new bearing and the bracket pressed back on.

I just got the bracket taken off because Kevin (Soulend) needed it.
The shop might have over priced a little, but it was $30 to just remove the bracket. It was rusted on pretty well he said so that might have been why.

Btw, I do have an axle with a perfectly good bearing, but no bracket, if you want it? PM me if interested.
post Dec 1, 2010 - 6:26 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

Well I listened and played with it some more on my drive to work just now. I'm leaning more towards motor mounts, but I'm not entirely sure until I can jack it up and take a look. When it's in gear and the clutch is engaged, I can goose the throttle and you hear what sounds like the engine popping on the mounts. When it's not in gear, there's not much noise at all.

I would guess if the axle carrier is bad, I'd be hearing something else?

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 1, 2010 - 7:45 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

If you want them to last, get OEM mounts. Although if your going cost effective, get the anchor mounts from rockauto. Because thats what most of the auto stores stock, but they charge alot more.
post Dec 1, 2010 - 7:56 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Spider77 @ Dec 1, 2010 - 6:45 PM) *
If you want them to last, get OEM mounts. Although if your going cost effective, get the anchor mounts from rockauto. Because thats what most of the auto stores stock, but they charge alot more.

Thanks, they're less than half what the other stores are charging, at $52.89. Just called the Toyota dealer and he said it's a special order for $94 for the side mount. I wish it was my front and rear going bad so I could justify to my wife to get the Kirkasourus inserts lol

Not sure which place I'll go with, cash is kind of tight but I want a quality part. As long as it lasts a couple years I'm good, by then I'll either have gotten a 4-door of some sort or be putting a different engine in this car anyways.

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 1, 2010 - 8:41 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

before you order the mount, i would check the 3 bolts that hold the mount bracket to the motor, the 2 14mm's that bolt the the engine bracket to the mount, and the one under the mount itself.
chances are, one of those has worked itself loose.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Dec 1, 2010 - 8:57 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

QUOTE (presure2 @ Dec 1, 2010 - 7:41 PM) *
before you order the mount, i would check the 3 bolts that hold the mount bracket to the motor, the 2 14mm's that bolt the the engine bracket to the mount, and the one under the mount itself.
chances are, one of those has worked itself loose.

You know, it's funny I just checked those about 30 seconds ago and the ones on the engine have worked loose. I have a cherry picker here at work to lift the motor up but no tools, so I'm going to limp it home and get it put back on tonight. The mount has pushed thru my timing cover but it doesn't look like it's making contact with the belt so I think I'm good (plus I've already driven like this for 60+ miles, another 10 isn't going to hurt)

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 1, 2010 - 10:57 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

Well I'm screwed. The bolts broke off in the side of the motor. One of them is gone, the other was still there but broken in half with the rest of it in the side of the block.

I guess I'll be calling shops tomorrow to see if they can extract those and replace them. Hopefully won't cost too much, but now my suspension is put even farther off.

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 2, 2010 - 5:00 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

hope u get it fixed.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Dec 2, 2010 - 1:03 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

Dropped the car off at the Toyota dealer this morning. They think they can do it pretty easily, but they want to look into what caused them to break in the first place. Not sure what they'll find there. Hopefully this isn't too expensive, it's cutting into my suspension fund.

Also, are the Kirks polyurethane mount inserts still available? My front mount is looking a little torn up as well so I figure it's a good time to upgrade.

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 2, 2010 - 6:17 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

Update: Just got a call back from Toyota, they want $1759 in parts and labor to drill out those 2 studs. Said there was no way to do it without completely pulling the motor and tranny, I call BS lol

So it looks like this weekend I'll be working on this! I'll get some pics of the damage, and probably replace my timing belt and such at the same time.

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 2, 2010 - 6:25 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

you "might" be able to lower the engine enough to get in there with a drill....your gonna be 90% of the way to pulling the motor/tranny by the time you get there, tho, your gonna have to pull the crossmember, and f+R mounts, disconnect the exhaust (you may not HAVE to, but you'll prolly ruin your flex pipe if you dont) and possibly fuel lines ect to get it low enough.
even then, i dunno if youll be able to get it down enough.
good luck!

as for what caused it, thats usually pretty easy, one (or more) of the 3 bolts wasnt torqued down properly, and worked itself loose from vibration, and the others snapped under the stress.

if one of the 2 has meat sticking out of the block, concentrate on getting it out first, it'll hold with 2 bolts and loctite.
dont ask how i know. wink.gif

--------------------

post Dec 3, 2010 - 2:57 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

Got them out! Came out by hand, didn't have to heat or drill or anything. Just took the timing cover off and was able to start turning them with the corner of a screwdriver, got them all out. New ones don't come into the dealer until Monday so I'm going to change my timing belt and such this weekend while the timing covers and such are all off.

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 3, 2010 - 3:31 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

dang, all broken up. so no dealer tag , DIY FTW

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Dec 4, 2010 - 6:47 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

DIY for sure. Not trying to knock your dealer or anything. But when a technician at my local dealer told me that I can should go somewhere else to get work done (mostly cause dealer charges are through the roof) I stopped going there and did as much as I could myself. Although I still go there for parts and whatnot, but not service!
post Dec 4, 2010 - 8:19 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE (blu94gt @ Dec 3, 2010 - 2:57 PM) *

Got them out! Came out by hand, didn't have to heat or drill or anything. Just took the timing cover off and was able to start turning them with the corner of a screwdriver, got them all out. New ones don't come into the dealer until Monday so I'm going to change my timing belt and such this weekend while the timing covers and such are all off.

NICE!!!

gotta love it when it goes like that.

--------------------

post Dec 4, 2010 - 8:46 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

Yeah it is nice when a seemingly hard job goes like that!

QUOTE (Spider77 @ Dec 4, 2010 - 5:47 PM) *
DIY for sure. Not trying to knock your dealer or anything. But when a technician at my local dealer told me that I can should go somewhere else to get work done (mostly cause dealer charges are through the roof) I stopped going there and did as much as I could myself. Although I still go there for parts and whatnot, but not service!

I've come to find that particular Toyota dealer is high on a lot of stuff, even parts. They wanted $8 per bolt, I called another Toyota dealer in town that's closer to my job and they wanted $1.75.

I'm always a DIY'er unless the job looks like it will be seriously hard or I don't have the proper tools in my garage. The few times I've had a shop work on my car haven't been the best.

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 4, 2010 - 9:58 PM
+Quote Post
Spider77

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '08
From JB MDL, NJ
Currently Offline

My problem is tolls/garage. I live in apartments but have access to a shop (sometimes). Hope you get it all worked out though!
post Dec 6, 2010 - 2:03 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

Anyone with access to a service manual know the torque specs for the 3 bolts going into the block? I've tried all the links to manuals on here but all the links are dead.

--------------------
1999 Celica GT
post Dec 7, 2010 - 1:42 PM
+Quote Post
blu94gt

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 23, '05
From Kansas City
Currently Offline

Just thought I'd add an update to say the car is back together and running great! I properly torqued the bolts, but will re-check them in a week or so just in case. Thanks for everyones help!

--------------------
1999 Celica GT

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 11:49 PM