> New Gen6 Owner - Autotrader Find
post Mar 6, 2018 - 5:27 PM
+Quote Post
elcortes

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 6, '18
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

Hey guys, I found this one almost as soon as it was listed this past friday and was lucky to have it be 18 mins away from where I live. Honestly i was never a hardcore Celica fan, I liked them but didnt think about owning one. I saw this while I was at work and felt like i had to at least see it. Arranged a time to come see it and once i started looking at it, I had a feeling she was coming home with me that day. A bit unsure if i was getting it for a good deal. But then thought to myself.. its a mid 90s car that just needs another $3-400 to bring it back to date on maintenance and a bit of elbow grease to make it shine even more. Plus i felt better after i paid her when she mentioned someone was going to drive 2 hours to go see it that next day if i didn't buy it lol.

95 ST, 1 owner. No accidents, No rust, only 94k miles 5 spd biggrin.gif Paint is in good condition and she did say it was always garage kept and was parked for the most part since 2010. Occasionally only driven up the road to the store for groceries due to her foot condition. Typical swirls and a scuff mark where someone swiped it on a quarter panel. Im sure i can remove it when i wax and polish the car though. Also someone reversed into their front bumper and left a couple small dents but thats about it.

Plan on doing a full tune up including timing belt and make it my daily. Have a strange rubbing/rattling noise coming from the power steering area that stops when i lock the wheel to either side. Been so busy to take a look at it but ill start by looking at the fluid. Want to look into making her look better but ive noticed there isnt much that we can buy for them anymore. Would love to do a full lip kit on this along with suspension and wheels. Anyways here she is!

I will post more pictures as I clean her up more. All Ive done is vacuum the seats and carpet.

post Mar 6, 2018 - 5:30 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

wow, very clean and nice....

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Mar 6, 2018 - 6:01 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

great buy! looks minty!

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Mar 6, 2018 - 6:38 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

the most watered down 6gc. haha but great starting point. good luck

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Mar 6, 2018 - 7:35 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

The best one though if all you want is handling and fuel economy. Anyhow welcome and nice acquisition! Yeah parts are few and far between, but they're still out there if you look and wait enough and aren't afraid to pay for them when you do find them. Reminds me of the one I had, except my interior was all black and it had the moonroof. You can do a 7th gen short shifter kit for cheap, that helps a lot in terms of shift feel.

This post has been edited by Box: Mar 6, 2018 - 7:36 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 6, 2018 - 10:51 PM
+Quote Post
elcortes

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 6, '18
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

Haha yeah its not the most loaded or fastest but I have my 335i to give me my performance fix. This car is mainly to take on my 70 miles a day trip to work and back home. If i were to keep it long enough im sure I would look into swapping motors but for now I just want to make it reliable as a daily and change it up a bit and make it my own
post Mar 7, 2018 - 2:49 AM
+Quote Post
TimeslideZ

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 9, '16
From Minnesota
Currently Offline

Welcome and congrats! Dang those pictures make the car look really clean. Good luck w/ any of maintenance man.
post Mar 7, 2018 - 10:21 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (elcortes @ Mar 6, 2018 - 9:51 PM) *
Haha yeah its not the most loaded or fastest but I have my 335i to give me my performance fix. This car is mainly to take on my 70 miles a day trip to work and back home. If i were to keep it long enough im sure I would look into swapping motors but for now I just want to make it reliable as a daily and change it up a bit and make it my own

hahah you definitely got the right engine then. Don't worry about it, you've got at least another 150k before you'll start to see any issues. I'm at 211k on my 7afe. Original engine. only maintenance I've done is oil change, and spark plugs. I beat the heck outta mine and it keeps going. laugh.gif

if you get bored of it, you can swap in the beams 3sge engine for pretty cheap. It would be a nice power upgrade and good for daily driving.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Mar 7, 2018 - 9:40 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yeah mine had like 190-200K before I sold it and it was running fine, keep up with maintenance and you'll easily get another 100K+ out of it. Just keep an eye out of the oil level for awhile since the 7A-FE is notorious for stuck oil rings and burning oil, until you know what the consumption rate is if there is any. If it was well maintained and oil was changed often it should be fine in that regard, but it may not hurt to do a piston soak with Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam before changing the oil anyway.

Oh and make sure the gearbox has GL-4 oil in it, as crunchy synchronizers(3rd in particular) is a common issue and GL-5 is corrosive to yellow metals.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Mar 8, 2018 - 5:41 PM
+Quote Post
elcortes

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 6, '18
From North Carolina
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Mar 7, 2018 - 10:21 AM) *
QUOTE (elcortes @ Mar 6, 2018 - 9:51 PM) *

hahah you definitely got the right engine then. Don't worry about it, you've got at least another 150k before you'll start to see any issues. I'm at 211k on my 7afe. Original engine. only maintenance I've done is oil change, and spark plugs. I beat the heck outta mine and it keeps going. laugh.gif

if you get bored of it, you can swap in the beams 3sge engine for pretty cheap. It would be a nice power upgrade and good for daily driving.

Really?? and im over here ordering water pump and timing belt job parts lol. If i couldve saved that money I wouldve if i knew these engines didnt require all that at the mileage that its at despise the age. Did you get lucky or are most 7afe that reliable without major maintenance?

QUOTE (Box @ Mar 7, 2018 - 9:40 PM) *
Yeah mine had like 190-200K before I sold it and it was running fine, keep up with maintenance and you'll easily get another 100K+ out of it. Just keep an eye out of the oil level for awhile since the 7A-FE is notorious for stuck oil rings and burning oil, until you know what the consumption rate is if there is any. If it was well maintained and oil was changed often it should be fine in that regard, but it may not hurt to do a piston soak with Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam before changing the oil anyway.

Oh and make sure the gearbox has GL-4 oil in it, as crunchy synchronizers(3rd in particular) is a common issue and GL-5 is corrosive to yellow metals.

Thanks for the heads up! Ill definitely look into those things. She said she did it almost every 3k miles since her dad always told her that growing up which is good that she listened and ill take her word for it lol. What all have you done in maintenance to yours?

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:41 PM