> ST205 Total Rebuild, Something a bit different
post Jul 22, 2014 - 9:50 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Probably as good as anything! It's just that I have a combination of forgetfulness and laziness so would probably not do it, having an inbuilt auto oiler at least helps protect the tools from my neglect if nothing else smile.gif

This is the last and final time I have a go at making a hybrid front bumper, mkIII, hopefully this will live up to my expectations before I use up the worlds supply of excess gt4 & late spec 6gem front bumpers biggrin.gif

--------------------
My Facebook GT4 Build page.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/GT4Rebuild
post Jul 27, 2014 - 2:01 PM
+Quote Post
HaysoosKreesto

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 4, '09
From Sacramento, California
Currently Offline

I literally read every word of this thread and it is absolutely unbelievable!

You now have a fan of your INCREDIBLE work across the pond, or another one I should say smile.gif thumbsup.gif

--------------------
Brand new 6gc owner! (sort of 2011)

The world is moving around a sun, the sun moves around a local arm of the galaxy, the local arm of the galaxy moves around a gigantic black hole.
post Jul 27, 2014 - 2:22 PM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Thanks smile.gif it is always nice to know that someone enjoys my thread and hard work smile.gif Would love to be able to bring the GT4 to the US for a road trip, that would be the ultimate:)

Looks like I will be having to take a little step backward, after giving it some thought I need to do a bit of custom fabrication on the shell, a bit of additional support bars on the front to accommodate oil coolers for the gearbox and power steering, I also need to try to design a new radiator and FMIC set up that will get rid of the stupidly long set up that usually gets used on GT4s. Of course custom fabrication means that the painting will have to stop until the fab is complete so I can repaint everything at once.......gotta stop that rust from ever coming back smile.gif

Trying to design a suitable FMIC has been a nightmare, spent an hour just staring at the from of the car today trying to come up with a solution, those designers at Toyota sure didn't have a FMIC in mind when they designed the structure of the GT4.

This post has been edited by Nial: Jul 27, 2014 - 2:35 PM

--------------------
post Jul 27, 2014 - 3:18 PM
+Quote Post
Langing

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '14
From Durham, NC, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Nial @ Jul 27, 2014 - 3:22 PM) *
Thanks smile.gif it is always nice to know that someone enjoys my thread and hard work smile.gif Would love to be able to bring the GT4 to the US for a road trip, that would be the ultimate:)

Looks like I will be having to take a little step backward, after giving it some thought I need to do a bit of custom fabrication on the shell, a bit of additional support bars on the front to accommodate oil coolers for the gearbox and power steering, I also need to try to design a new radiator and FMIC set up that will get rid of the stupidly long set up that usually gets used on GT4s. Of course custom fabrication means that the painting will have to stop until the fab is complete so I can repaint everything at once.......gotta stop that rust from ever coming back smile.gif

Trying to design a suitable FMIC has been a nightmare, spent an hour just staring at the from of the car today trying to come up with a solution, those designers at Toyota sure didn't have a FMIC in mind when they designed the structure of the GT4.

On Wikipedia I found this:

"Cars such as the Subaru Impreza WRX, MINI Cooper S, Toyota Celica GT-Four, Nissan Pulsar GTI-R, Mazdaspeed3, Mazdaspeed6, and the PSA Peugeot Citroën turbo diesels, use air-to-air top mounted intercoolers (TMIC) located on top of the engine. Air is directed through the intercooler through the use of a hood scoop."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intercooler
post Jul 27, 2014 - 3:32 PM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

The 185 uses what is basically a FMIC mounted on top of the engine......they are hopeless, suffer badly from heat soak and are generally not very good.

--------------------
post Jul 27, 2014 - 7:08 PM
+Quote Post
Langing

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '14
From Durham, NC, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Nial @ Jul 27, 2014 - 4:32 PM) *
The 185 uses what is basically a FMIC mounted on top of the engine......they are hopeless, suffer badly from heat soak and are generally not very good.

ST205/185 are Toyota frame design designations for the GT-4? If so, was the 205 an improvement over the 185? Is there more room in the engine compartment of your 205? What years were they produced?

My Celica is an ST Coup (94), and my frame is AT200. That's also my frame of reference as I'm trying to imagine your predicament and I think I'm having as bad a time doing that as you in figuring out how to squeeze ten pounds of stuff into a nine pound bag, volumetrically speaking.

I'm wishing you the best of luck because I don't want this thread to stop. smile.gif
post Jul 27, 2014 - 7:31 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

The difference is like the diference between the 93 celica and the 96 celica..

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jul 27, 2014 - 11:00 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Langing @ Jul 27, 2014 - 5:08 PM) *

ST205/185 are Toyota frame design designations for the GT-4? If so, was the 205 an improvement over the 185? Is there more room in the engine compartment of your 205? What years were they produced?

My Celica is an ST Coup (94), and my frame is AT200. That's also my frame of reference as I'm trying to imagine your predicament and I think I'm having as bad a time doing that as you in figuring out how to squeeze ten pounds of stuff into a nine pound bag, volumetrically speaking.

I'm wishing you the best of luck because I don't want this thread to stop. smile.gif

the ST205 is an improvement over the 185 in all aspects

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Jul 28, 2014 - 6:11 AM
+Quote Post
Langing

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '14
From Durham, NC, USA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Smaay @ Jul 28, 2014 - 12:00 AM) *
QUOTE (Langing @ Jul 27, 2014 - 5:08 PM) *

the ST205 is an improvement over the 185 in all aspects

IYO, Will Nial have enough space?
post Aug 3, 2014 - 10:34 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Finally got this glued together, if you want to have a go yourself, this is how I did it.

Once you have cut the two halves of the bumper and matched them up you need to start by drilling a series of holes about an inch from the join about three or four inches apart.

I then zip tied the two ends together and then started zip tying towards the middle, as I went I put the wire mesh on the back

The front

The back before the glue is applied

And with the glue applied and pressed into all the mesh and holes

There is more to do but I need to let the glue fully cure overnight at least. I will then add a bit more glue into the bits I missed and fill in any holes in the join.

A bit of scratch fabrication today, it's still a bit rough and needs finishing off, but it's a...........well, can you guess what it is :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

--------------------
post Aug 3, 2014 - 11:02 AM
+Quote Post
JoshuaM

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '12
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Nial @ Aug 3, 2014 - 11:34 AM) *
A bit of scratch fabrication today, it's still a bit rough and needs finishing off, but it's a...........well, can you guess what it is :confuse: :confuse: :confuse:

Short answer... no tongue.gif My guesses would be cooling duct for something, but very narrow, or replacement support for something with room to run small pipes around.

Nice work on the bumper too, hopefully it finishes up well for you this time smile.gif

--------------------

SOLD :( 1997 ST204 Celica ZR -----> See it here on 6GC!
2013 October Celica of the Month XD
Now: '00 NB8B Mazda MX5 -----> See it here in off topic!
post Aug 3, 2014 - 11:24 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Nearly finished

--------------------
post Aug 8, 2014 - 11:16 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

QUOTE (JoshuaM @ Aug 3, 2014 - 12:02 PM) *
QUOTE (Nial @ Aug 3, 2014 - 11:34 AM) *

Short answer... no tongue.gif My guesses would be cooling duct for something, but very narrow, or replacement support for something with room to run small pipes around.

Nice work on the bumper too, hopefully it finishes up well for you this time smile.gif

A support is a pretty spot on guess, it's going to go right behind the bonnet catch, mounted vertically it will hold two oil coolers smile.gif

Started putting stuff together now, just a question....what grade of threadlock to use on the rear diff bolts.....remembering that the rear diff plate is alloy

This post has been edited by Nial: Aug 8, 2014 - 11:17 AM

--------------------
post Aug 8, 2014 - 12:06 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

There's nothing in this thread that falls short of excellent. When it's finished, this will be by far one of the cleanest T20's in the world. thumbsup.gif

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Aug 8, 2014 - 1:28 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Aug 8, 2014 - 1:06 PM) *
There's nothing in this thread that falls short of excellent. When it's finished, this will be by far one of the cleanest T20's in the world. thumbsup.gif

X2

--------------------
post Aug 9, 2014 - 12:38 AM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

loctite blue will work just fine

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Aug 9, 2014 - 2:27 PM
+Quote Post
mandrek

Enthusiast
Joined May 4, '05
From western MD/NOVA
Currently Offline

WOW!!! looking great!!!!

and great job on that front end!!! i just got all of my parts together to do the EXACT same setup on the front end (rail vents and all) though i suspect that my grafting will be a bit more dificult as i just got a cut out with the bump-up and the vents... but OH DAMN!!!! awesome!!!

--------------------
post Aug 11, 2014 - 11:56 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

Hub tastic thumbsup.gif

Brand new backing plates that I have painted to give extra protection thumbsup.gif just need to get the bearings pressed in now then I can start putting the suspension back together :clap:

--------------------
post Aug 29, 2014 - 8:16 AM
+Quote Post
Nial

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 25, '08
From England
Currently Offline

More from allenchrome electroplating, sadly the one part from Toyota, the drive shaft damper, cost more than double the cost of the elctroplating :? Oh well, thems the breaks.

--------------------
post Aug 29, 2014 - 8:31 AM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

You should have made your own dampener smile.gif

Things look great !

--------------------

22 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:24 AM