> 3SGE Beams powered Celica, Her replacement has arrived
post Apr 21, 2011 - 4:32 PM
+Quote Post
TRDGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 3, '08
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

sweet work there mate, you will be stoked once you are out cruising again!!

--------------------

_______________May COTM 2011_______________
post Apr 21, 2011 - 9:07 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

damn sorry to hear that. No i was envious of you being able to install the transmission so easily. I tried last night for 3 hrs but had no luck. but No I don't envy you, i just wish you the best of luck getting everything back on again. Ya I've had my car for 3 months and still haven't felt the power of the beams engine. So I know how you feel.

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Apr 23, 2011 - 8:47 PM
+Quote Post
Euphoria

Enthusiast
Joined May 6, '08
From Lisarow, NSW, Australia
Currently Offline

Awsome that someone in Australia has finally done this! wish you lived closer and It could be some motivation for me to do the same! cars looking awsome too, nice to see the right tails are finally on there tongue.gif.

That GT3 would of been unreal, I hate getting in ridiculous cars then getting back in the celica, its death lol.
post Apr 24, 2011 - 3:13 AM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (TRDGT4 @ Apr 22, 2011 - 7:32 AM) *
sweet work there mate, you will be stoked once you are out cruising again!!

Thanks mate. I love your GT4, definitely one of my favourite cars on here.

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Apr 22, 2011 - 12:07 PM) *
damn sorry to hear that. No i was envious of you being able to install the transmission so easily. I tried last night for 3 hrs but had no luck. but No I don't envy you, i just wish you the best of luck getting everything back on again. Ya I've had my car for 3 months and still haven't felt the power of the beams engine. So I know how you feel.

Oh right, yeah well I'm sure the box will slide on for you eventually. I have other issues now with starting, so I too am yet to feel the Beams power! smile.gif

QUOTE (Euphoria @ Apr 24, 2011 - 11:47 AM) *
Awsome that someone in Australia has finally done this! wish you lived closer and It could be some motivation for me to do the same! cars looking awsome too, nice to see the right tails are finally on there tongue.gif.

That GT3 would of been unreal, I hate getting in ridiculous cars then getting back in the celica, its death lol.

Thanks man. There must be more Beams powered 6th gens in Australia, but I can't seem to find any on the various forums like Toymods etc. I know of two 5th gens with Beams though.

Yeah the GT3 was awesome, but I still prefer the 911 Turbo for its brute power.

--------------------
post Apr 24, 2011 - 3:21 AM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

The engine is now fully installed, but I can't get the thing to start!

The engine turns over, but won't fire. We're pretty sure the problem is the fuel pump, as there is no fuel pressure. The relay on the ECU is operating, so the issue seems to be somewhere between there and the fuel pump. It was working fine with my old 5SFE just last week, so I'm sure it must be a wiring issue rather than an issue with the pump itself.

There are issues with the dash wiring too. I thought I had read it was pretty much plug and play besides the cruise control, but I can confirm that is not the case here! I installed the instrument cluster from the clip, but nothing works properly. The door ajar light comes on when I flash the high beams, the handbrake light comes on when I indicate, and the dash lights don't work at all.

So now I'm thinking the best course of action is to fit the whole interior wiring loom from my clip, and that way surely everything will work fine. Having read through the threads on removing the whole dash it sounds like a pretty big job, but it should solve the fiddly work of rewiring everything. This should also make the job of installing the JDM climate control easier, as I can just do the whole lot all at the same time.

--------------------
post Apr 24, 2011 - 4:29 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

ha yes sir removing the dashboard is one helk of an annoying job. Well good to see your making progress keep at it man. Your almost there.

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Apr 24, 2011 - 5:07 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

Yeah swapping over the interior wiring and everything will probably be the best course of action for you, it may even get your fuel pump working

that includes all the electrics in behind the 2 kick panels aswell and the interior fuse box

the plug behind the steering wheel will save you from buying that adaptor loom also

and good thinking on that climate control.

-----

But, what will you do about that cut door wiring? I still think somewhere along the way there will be some repinning with your original interior wiring. Good luck!

This post has been edited by delusionz: Apr 24, 2011 - 5:16 AM

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post Apr 25, 2011 - 3:26 AM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

I swapped over both interior looms today, what a fun job... Things are looking much better in terms of the right dash lights coming on at the right times, but I'm still having this issue of the engine turning over but not firing.

Previously I thought the issue was with the fuel pump, so today I ran power directly to the pump and could hear it working. I tried cranking the engine at the same time, but I still had the same issue again of turning over but not firing.

I'm really struggling for ideas. I feel that I'm heading in the right direction with swapping the interior looms over, but I just can't work out why the engine won't fire. I've seen the engine start when it was still in the clip, so there really should be no excuses now.

QUOTE (delusionz @ Apr 24, 2011 - 8:07 PM) *
But, what will you do about that cut door wiring? I still think somewhere along the way there will be some repinning with your original interior wiring. Good luck!

The door wiring seems to be working fine. After swapping over the looms my power windows and central locking etc are all working fine. Thank goodness for that! smile.gif

Whilst on the subject of doors, previously my headlights would turn off automatically when I opened the door after switching off the ignition, but now they stay on and I get a little warning tone instead. That was a surprise! I preferred the old system, but I guess it's a little bit of JDM uniqueness compared to all the other Aussie Celicas.

--------------------
post Apr 26, 2011 - 7:22 PM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

I've been playing with the car again, but still no start. I have no spark, and I still have no fuel pressure unless I connect the fuel pump directly to the power. I've re-checked all plugs and earthing points, but I still can't work it out. Any ideas???

I'm also about half way through converting to auto climate control, which should be a nice little change.

--------------------
post Apr 28, 2011 - 5:46 AM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

Still no luck with getting the engine running, but I'm working on it with thanks to my thread in the tech section.

I'm a bit bummed out about that, so I went out today and picked up this to lift my spirits:

Yep, a GT4 bumper. It's been stored not so well, so the gap under the grille has squashed down and the plastic supports have broken. It shouldn't be too difficult to fix, and I'll have to get it resprayed to suit my car anyway. I've also ordered a GT4 bonnet which should arrive next week.

I was a little torn on whether or not to go with the GT4 front. First of all because I liked the idea of a sleeper with my Beams engine, and secondly because my car isn't a GT4, so why make it look like something it's not? But at the end of the day, I love the look of the GT4 and have done since they were new, so stuff it I want it on my car too! smile.gif

And finally here's a pick pf the dash before I installed the new climate control boxes. You don't see Celica interiors this naked very often. The wiring was all out originally as well, but I'd started reinstalling for testing purposes when this was taken.

Can't wait to get back on the road. Hopefully soon...

--------------------
post Apr 28, 2011 - 11:27 PM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

I have accepted defeat... The mobile auto electrics bloke is visiting next week to get things sorted out. It's a shame I guess, but I really want to get this car back on the road! smile.gif

In the meantime I will finish the twin piston caliper conversion and a few other bits and pieces. I've also decided to go with the silver interior panels from the SS-II donor car, but they've seen better days so I'll be giving them a fresh coat of dark silver.

--------------------
post May 4, 2011 - 5:34 AM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

It's alive! The auto electrician sorted it out very quickly. Have to go now, but will post more info tomorrow.

Very happy to hear the Beams singing. smile.gif

--------------------
post May 4, 2011 - 4:39 PM
+Quote Post
Rusty

Joined Nov 5, '07
From New Zealand
Currently Offline

Congrates on getting it going! thumbsup.gif

--------------------
post May 4, 2011 - 6:26 PM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

As I expected, the problem was incredibly minor - just a loose plug and a missing fuse! I'd checked everything a million times, but I guess it takes a fresh pair of eyes to pick these things up sometimes.

I felt a bit stupid to get an auto electrician out just for that, but at least it wasn't anything major. $80 well spent I say!

Here's a quick video of the Beams in action (shot using iPhone = crap quality!). The engine sounds a bit strange at 0:53 but it's just because my finger slipped over the microphone.

http://youtu.be/ar2ZnqT0BXY

Now to put everything back together and get this thing back on the road!

--------------------
post May 4, 2011 - 8:50 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

muhha it lives. Very nice. Almost there!!!!

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post May 4, 2011 - 10:20 PM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

There are a few more little jobs to finish, but they shouldn't take too long:
  • Replace drive-shaft seal
  • Bleed brake lines (SS-II twin piston calipers now installed)
  • Link up the exhaust (Beams mid-pipe is about a foot short of my existing exhaust)
  • Replace steering wheel airbag (have a new centre ready)
  • Repaint silver interior panels
  • Put interior back together
  • Replace both front tyres

My GT4 bonnet just arrived too. Here's a sneak peak at how she'll look with the new front end...

But for now these parts are going straight into storage. I'll wait a couple more months before I get them painted, and I don't want to drive around with mismatched panels.

--------------------
post May 6, 2011 - 9:17 AM
+Quote Post
delusionz

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 11, '08
From Auckland, New Zealand
Currently Offline

Lol st202. Hey I got a spare set of foggies if u need em

--------------------
Mike W
1996 Toyota Celica ST205 GT-FOUR
GT2860RS turbine, TiAL mvr44, JE 86.5φ piston, Clutchmasters FX400, APEX P-FC
269awhp / 273ft-lbs
post May 9, 2011 - 7:24 PM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (delusionz @ May 7, 2011 - 12:17 AM) *
Lol st202. Hey I got a spare set of foggies if u need em

Haha, yeah I don't think the importer knows his Celica model codes too well! I'm undecided on what to do about fogs at this stage, but I'll let you know if I go down that track.

Not a great deal of progress lately, just slowly getting everything back together.

The donor car came with silver interior panels as standard, but they were a little worn. I've repainted them in a similar dark silver, but I think I'm going to stick with the standard black anyway. This pic shows the two painted panels along with the driver's side air vent panel which is still the original silver.

I also de-badged the rear...

--------------------
post May 10, 2011 - 1:29 AM
+Quote Post
Euphoria

Enthusiast
Joined May 6, '08
From Lisarow, NSW, Australia
Currently Offline

looking good dude! awsome that you got her started, can't wait till you get more videos up.

How were your old interior panels? I'm in need of the centre ones and I've been tossing up if I should paint them or buy them, most paint jobs I've seen have been revolting but those dark grey ones above look good, what paint did you use?
post May 11, 2011 - 4:23 AM
+Quote Post
S8S8

Enthusiast
Joined May 9, '09
From Brisbane, Australia
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Euphoria @ May 10, 2011 - 4:29 PM) *
looking good dude! awsome that you got her started, can't wait till you get more videos up.

How were your old interior panels? I'm in need of the centre ones and I've been tossing up if I should paint them or buy them, most paint jobs I've seen have been revolting but those dark grey ones above look good, what paint did you use?

My old interior panels were actually in better shape than the new ones. The new ones look okay in the photo, but the paint doesn't look good enough in person so I've decided to stick with the original black panels for now. I'll keep the spares and maybe give them another go later.

The paint was just auto touch-up paint purchased from Supercheap. Normally you'd probably need a plastic primer too, but I didn't because they were already painted from the factory. I definitely agree that the dark gray panels (similar to factory colour) look much better than the tacky bright silver ones out there.

Well the interior is pretty much finished now. All that's left to do is replace the steering wheel centre with a non-popped air bag.

I don't have any daytime pics, but here's a shot of the new dash cluster at night. I'm not a fan of the orange, so I may have to look into one of those LED kits and switch to blue or bright white.

And below is a pic of the auto climate control installed. I don't know why Toyota had green lights for this and orange lights for the dash, seems a bit funny to me. Anyway a matching LED kit will probably be the way to go.

I also had a look at the leaking driveshaft seal. I managed to get the axle and driveshaft out, but I can't work out how to get the rubber seal out. Any suggestions? I've posted in the tech section but I'm still waiting in hope for a reply.

--------------------

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 9:14 AM