> Tigawoods' 1995 Celica, Racing n Stuff
post Nov 12, 2019 - 2:15 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

there wont be a platform switch or forced induction to the BEAMS until I have my own garage in the area I reside. Traveling 2hrs to where the car is garaged, every weekend, is not something Im interested in doing right now. I have so much free time in the weekday afternoons and that could be spent on that but, alas, no garage here yet. Maybe next year I will settle on a house I like.

If the sponsorship deal I am in for 2020 really takes off in the following years, I would in a god damn heartbeat go drop some dime on a Monkey Wrench Racing 2GR. I would go 2GR over 1MZ just for the aftermarket availability for that engine (from my light research)
I could even spend the same amount on the BEAMS and build it how I want it. Who knows. These are post localgarage/sponsorship decisions lol

I havent invested too much time into this motor. Im going to do a new custom exhaust manifold and a LINK ecu this winter and continue driving it as is and see how things progress next year.

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Nov 12, 2019 - 4:37 PM

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Nov 14, 2019 - 12:24 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

what i find astonishing is the 3sge motor or the Celica SS-III in any fwd 6gc has never had any time to ever shine in the motosports world. The SS-III was the only fwd car that toyota released that was able to complete with honda. the AE111 and ZZT231 had good chassis but motors that lacked power.

Ive never seen a high powered N/A build SW20 or ST202. the guy from beams onwers group built that 250ish hp crank 3sge beams motor but was in a st184 chassis and was a show car.

the guy on facebook from Russia I think, is building a track focused n/a build beams motor. but hes like 20 years to late.

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 14, 2019 - 9:47 AM
+Quote Post
ricochet1490

Enthusiast
Joined May 3, '11
From Ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 14, 2019 - 12:24 AM) *
what i find astonishing is the 3sge motor or the Celica SS-III in any fwd 6gc has never had any time to ever shine in the motosports world. The SS-III was the only fwd car that toyota released that was able to complete with honda. the AE111 and ZZT231 had good chassis but motors that lacked power.

Ive never seen a high powered N/A build SW20 or ST202. the guy from beams onwers group built that 250ish hp crank 3sge beams motor but was in a st184 chassis and was a show car.

the guy on facebook from Russia I think, is building a track focused n/a build beams motor. but hes like 20 years to late.

there was the guy from the Beams owners group who deleted his ENTIRE thread because he was tired of hearing people complain about his build, but it was like 120 pages of supercharged rotex beams goodness. But he lowered the compression on the motor so it would take the boost and had full stand alone unit. He also was wayyy too meticulous on the construction, making his own cast pieces etc. Mandalay I think was his username. He had that in an MR2.

--------------------
post Nov 15, 2019 - 4:13 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

i said n/a motor! i know of the builds on beams forums yes supercharged and stroked 3sge beams redtop turbo set up. but thats all forced induction aka the easy route or just the mentality of "i can never have enough horsepower" and i see it as an unbalanced car for being a fwd platform.

there was a website i believe pheonix power that showed all forced induction set up celica and mr2 3sge beams(about 10 on that page all with japanese description of course but never showed once a n/a built motor. so even back then it was and till today has never been done before.

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 15, 2019 - 4:30 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Glenn and Arkadiusz both build NA Red Tops. Glenn builds more black tops these days but Arkadiusz builds a lot of 3rd and 4th gen 3sge for cup cars in his country. Glenns products are pretty wildly used. Most NA builds will be so damn expensive when you can go turbo or sc and still retain a pretty decent linear power delivery.

The one thing im not a fan of when coming into the Red Top community was the secrecy and people not wanting to share any info (like Mandalay). He made it seem as if it was this big unattainable feat he accomplished and he would break the mold of his creation so nobody could follow in his footsteps. Maybe is he just shared details of his build maybe people wouldnt have complained as much rolleyes.gif

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Nov 19, 2019 - 3:55 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

you can tune anything. with the right amount of money and time. you dont have money or time, well, you cant tune.

Its a difficult engine. not a lot of information. many people spent a lot of money, to maybe gain some back in the end by selling their products I guess. At any rate, there are easier engines to tune out there,

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 3, 2020 - 10:45 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Took the time to recheck leak down results with a steady air supply (previously I was filling a tank, taking it outside and doing one test then taking it back to refill lol)

Idk what I did previously but now my numbers are pretty decent (on 3&4 which were the problem cylinders).
Cyl1-12%loss
Cyl2-12%loss
Cyl3-20%loss
Cyl4-05%loss

As for the lean running and the valve tapping Ill have to check my fueling to figure out if my injectors are clogged or filter is dirty and then recheck valve clearances. I may be okay!

I took a bit of time to look over suspension and brake conditions and finished up installing new rotor hardware and noticed another small detail of damage my rotors underwent from their previous failure, im not sure how common this is. Still looking at a reasonable replacement.

also picked up a new car. one that will aid in recovering the celica if it continues to break down like it has the past few months

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Jan 3, 2020 - 11:02 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Nice pickup!

Is the capacity 5000lb like the 4runner? I thought the Lexus' were higher for whatever reason....

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jan 3, 2020 - 11:34 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

Its 6500, its basically a nicer 4th Gen V8 4Runner.
If it werent for the 2200lb Uhaul Trailers a 5000lb hauler would have sufficed. Tow capacity above that seems to be harder to come buy in recent year midsize SUVs. Everything is V6 and 5000lb limit now

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Jan 3, 2020 - 11:36 AM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Jan 3, 2020 - 11:41 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

I know.... Which looks to be driving up the aluminum trailer market.

It's my biggest gripe with our 5th gen 4Runner.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jan 3, 2020 - 11:48 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

$50 for a 2day rental say 5-8 times a year or $6000 for a used alum trailer...

Daniels review of his 5th gen kept me away
It definitely wins in the looks department...so there is that lol

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Jan 3, 2020 - 12:19 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Nice GX! Towing capacity was definitely one thing that kept me looking at 4th gens and ultimately went with a 100 series. 5000 lbs will get the job done but you’re pushing it with the weight of the trailer. 5th gens are nice but to be fair I did state my bias, my particular 5th gen felt like a downgrade in every measurable way and a huge downgrade in some ways but there are people who won’t even consider 4th gens over any 5th gen. I gotta say I strongly prefer my 2001 LX over my ‘16 4Runner but again, I’m biased.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jan 3, 2020 - 2:49 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Dont forget you can use a tow dolly with the celica if all wheels roll. My tundra had a 10000 pound capacity. But its gone now

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 3, 2020 - 8:43 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

i was wondering when you were going to pick up a GX.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Jan 6, 2020 - 9:02 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (njccmd2002 @ Jan 3, 2020 - 2:49 PM) *
Dont forget you can use a tow dolly with the celica if all wheels roll. My tundra had a 10000 pound capacity. But its gone now

Yeah for most things I can do that but when it comes to racing, best to always be safe and get a full.

*Edit...although, Im not sure if a dolly will work these days with my sideskirts and front lip.

QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Jan 3, 2020 - 8:43 PM) *

Im an asian mom now. Bow to me.

This post has been edited by Tigawoods: Jan 6, 2020 - 9:03 AM

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Jan 6, 2020 - 7:58 PM
+Quote Post
NgoFcukinWay

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 7, '06
From Houston, Tx
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Tigawoods @ Jan 6, 2020 - 8:02 AM) *
QUOTE (NgoFcukinWay @ Jan 3, 2020 - 8:43 PM) *

Im an asian mom now. Bow to me.

mmmm....naaahhhh. Gotta see how you do driving through chinatown here first.

--------------------
-Alex {](O_o)[}

1993.5 Toyota Supra ....with stuff.... ....sorta broken....
1998 Toyota Celica ....this one, too, has stuff.... ....broken....yeah...definitely broken....
post Jan 31, 2020 - 9:16 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

putting everything back together for the Auto Show next week.
Finally, after a decade, finally painted the alternator and now the car looks like a million bukz

was going to get a custom alum or titanium intake pipe fabd up but went in a different direction that was more pocket friendly. I should have painted that MAF pipe ages ago

Removed my torn header wrap and to my surprise (nah I knew there were gunna be some issues) there were some pin holes in the welds on the manifold. SO I took it to a fab shop to have it repaired. These welds looked so much better than the original welds done by a different fab shop. Should be able to last a while longer now. Its currently getting a layer of Cerakote and then will be wrapped again because its still ugly as all hell

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
post Feb 5, 2020 - 12:51 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

you said sponsorship. is that because they saw your car has potential. what type of sponsorship we talking about???

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Feb 5, 2020 - 8:44 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

Damn that is a really good looking engine bay. Good work

--------------------
post Feb 6, 2020 - 8:43 AM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Feb 5, 2020 - 12:51 AM) *
you said sponsorship. is that because they saw your car has potential. what type of sponsorship we talking about???

no, my buddy is an alumni of an auto tech school and they never had cars at their booth so he saw an opportunity. So he drew up a plan and we have an annual sponsorship to bring our cars to the autoshow and some other shows during the year

QUOTE (enderswift @ Feb 5, 2020 - 8:44 PM) *
Damn that is a really good looking engine bay. Good work

thank you, it may not work right at the moment, but at least it looks good lol

knocked out a few last minute things the night before dropping the car off at the show
picked up the manifold from the coaters. Its really gold. really really gold. They also advised me that cerakote is a very thin coating. Idk how its considered a decent thermal barrier. It scraped off from the socket when I was tightening down a nut. Either way I wrapped it since you could see the marks from the re-welding

One of my better wraps but still a PITA

Did up the intake pipe and installed a vaccum port for the crank case catch can. Still needs a bit of adjustment but it all went together well enough for display purposes

first tow for the 460

--------------------

エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!

107 Pages V  « < 103 104 105 106 107 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 3:06 AM