6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Nick's AWD RHD GT4 Conversion, A thread documenting Me Converting Nick's Celica to AWD and RHD
post Nov 17, 2015 - 1:35 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

I don't have first hand experience, but I'm pretty sure there is a difference in length between the usdm GT, and GT4 trailing arms. Either that, or the mounting point for the trailing arms is different between the two frames. A member recently posted their GT4 conversion showing that they had to lengthen the arms to get the wheel in the center, I'll post a link if I find it

This post has been edited by enderswift: Nov 17, 2015 - 1:38 PM

--------------------
post Nov 18, 2015 - 9:57 AM
+Quote Post
Domspun

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 15, '10
From Brossard
Currently Offline

First, the rear is too high, get it lowered at the right height, it will move the wheel a little back.
post Nov 18, 2015 - 11:26 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Nov 17, 2015 - 1:35 PM) *
I don't have first hand experience, but I'm pretty sure there is a difference in length between the usdm GT, and GT4 trailing arms. Either that, or the mounting point for the trailing arms is different between the two frames. A member recently posted their GT4 conversion showing that they had to lengthen the arms to get the wheel in the center, I'll post a link if I find it

Yeah, but they used the whole floor pan whereas Malek's old car just had brackets welded on, I believe?
You would think everything should line up almost perfect by swapping out the rear floor pans, but obviously there is still something else that we're missing since the wheels are being pulled too far forward.
post Nov 19, 2015 - 12:04 AM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

QUOTE (mkernz22 @ Nov 18, 2015 - 11:26 PM) *
QUOTE (enderswift @ Nov 17, 2015 - 1:35 PM) *

Yeah, but they used the whole floor pan whereas Malek's old car just had brackets welded on, I believe?
You would think everything should line up almost perfect by swapping out the rear floor pans, but obviously there is still something else that we're missing since the wheels are being pulled too far forward.

I'm gonna measure the st204 and 205 trailing arms this weekend to be sure

--------------------
post Nov 19, 2015 - 4:34 PM
+Quote Post
4-eyed-freek

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 17, '10
From U.P. michigan GO STATE
Currently Offline

I can take measurements as well if need be

--------------------
It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road.

Celica: The name is derived from the Spanish word for "heavenly" or "celestial".
Back-2-Back July COTM 15&16
post Nov 19, 2015 - 11:21 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

I'd say start with measuring from the center of the big hole on each strut tower to the latch. Doing that on both sides. It's the most simple thing to measure.

One from a GT4 and one from a swapped one.
post Nov 21, 2015 - 11:17 PM
+Quote Post
Domspun

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 15, '10
From Brossard
Currently Offline

Here is some pics at different height, see how it gets forward when it's higher. The "standard" height you see here is a little higher because of the stripped interior. Anyway, it's just to show my point.

post Nov 24, 2015 - 9:42 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showto...5137&st=140

Domspun you may be right . The ride height would definitely force the wheel to follow the arc created by the trailing arm. I wonder what would cause that difference in height? I dont think the stut towers are different height between the two chassis.... In any case others have worked around this issue by modifying the trailing arms. Scroll down and you'll see that the rear trailing arm was modified to allow for adjustment.

This post has been edited by enderswift: Nov 24, 2015 - 9:51 PM

--------------------
post Nov 25, 2015 - 7:47 PM
+Quote Post
mkernz22

Enthusiast
Joined May 10, '10
From MA
Currently Offline

So what you're saying is slam it and the wheel should be perfectly centered laugh.gif

That does make sense though. Since the car is sitting higher, the trailing arm would be angled downward thus pulling the wheel toward the front of the car. As the car is lowered, the trailing arm becomes more level thus pushing the wheel backward and making it more centered in the wheel well.
post Nov 29, 2015 - 4:56 PM
+Quote Post
Tecker184

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '09
From 12803
Currently Offline

The GT arms are half an inch longer. Im going to put them in the trunk. When Nick puts coil overs in and lowers the car he can decide if he wants to swap them out or use both arms to make one. I can see how the increase in ride hight would cause this issue. I too do not know why it sits up so high. He plans on getting coil overs as soon as its down his way.
post Nov 29, 2015 - 7:20 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

Maybe the towers in the gt are too low..

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.
post Jan 23, 2016 - 9:25 AM
+Quote Post
Tecker184

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '09
From 12803
Currently Offline

So Nick flew in last week and took the car. I suppose this will be the end of this thread. Took it to the local toyota dealer had the car aligned. Toe was spot on all 4 wheels. Caster and camber where off slightly but there is no adjustment from the factory. Had only one small hickupp on the car after completion. When i was driving the car home from the dealership the alternator failed leaving me stranded on the side of the road the day Nick was boarding his flight to come get the car. But after i replaced the alternator everything was great. He drove it from Fort Edward NY to Base in North Carolina with out issue.

Dont forget to check out my facebook page for future projects link in first post. Currently in the garage is my 93 st185. Plan is 2grfe swap, Borg Warner EFR, AEM Infinity 6, sunroof removal with non sunroof skin, and weight reduction. End goal is 500 awhp and 2500# street car and apear to have a full interior.

In between 1uzfe swap in my ae86 and 6speed trans install in my 2zzge aw11.

post Jan 24, 2016 - 6:40 AM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

i want to see that 2gr swap.

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 12:35 AM