> The Evolution of the Celica, My story and progress, BEAMS swapped
post Nov 4, 2013 - 4:38 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

ill be sure to do so im going to go pick up the oem airbox at venus later today but theres no hose to connect to the throttle can i use the stock one from my 5s??

--------------------
post Nov 4, 2013 - 4:44 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The 5S elbow is too small. They do occasionally turn up on eBay or over on the BEAMS Owners Group, otherwise a silicone elbow and maybe some piping from an auto parts store should work. If I recall correctly, it's 3".

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 4, 2013 - 5:08 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

alright thanks well ill see what i can do to get this to work

--------------------
post Nov 5, 2013 - 3:20 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

Well im in luck biggrin.gif i went to venus and was able to get my hands on the air box and the throttle hose!!!

so now simply bolt on the b bipe and start up and hopefully all runs perfect ill be able to get my car hopefully by either tomorrow or thursday depending on the progress wooooo so excited.

also any idea where i can find the celica st202 axles the one i got has a messed up boot as you can see

i was told i shouldnt even replace the boot since its pretty old i should just get a new one. or should i not get them i read somewhere they are a lot thicker compared to the stock ones from my 5SFE.

--------------------
post Nov 5, 2013 - 4:05 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

They are a little thicker than the 5S axles, but the BEAMS only has ~10 ft lbs of torque more, meaning it won't ever have any problems with the stock 5S axles.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 5, 2013 - 4:06 PM
+Quote Post
Smaay

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 8, '03
From Lancaster CA
Currently Offline

just use your axles

--------------------
2001 Celica GT-S Turbo
1997 Supra TT 6speed
1997 Celica 3MZ/1MZ swap
1990 Celica All-Trac
post Nov 5, 2013 - 4:21 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

alright for sure thanks guys more pics on my progress soon and also ill be sure to ask more questions if im running into issues

--------------------
post Nov 5, 2013 - 6:33 PM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

btw thats not a celica beams air box. it came from a caldina or rav4. but that should work just fine

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 5, 2013 - 7:38 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

QUOTE (BonzaiCelica @ Nov 5, 2013 - 7:33 PM) *
btw thats not a celica beams air box. it came from a caldina or rav4. but that should work just fine

OMG You almost scared me there lol

--------------------
post Nov 5, 2013 - 8:08 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Definitely a Caldina Greytop intake. Interesting. It'll work just fine, but it's interesting to see one of those imported with a motor instead of the ST202 intake.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 9, 2013 - 3:53 AM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

well she lives ;D for some reason the airbox did not fit i think i came from a RAV4 or something so what my mechanic did was cut the tube where the maf was extended the wires to the maf sensor. Added the throttle hose and the modified tube and added my weapon R filter.

the b pipe is not connected yet so its very loud and i tried recording though the audio kind of sucks. what kind of has me worried tho is that it looks like the engine is about to die but doesn't and my mechanic was telling me i may have struck gold an have aftermarket cams since it looks like the screws from the head were a bit chipped so it may not have stock cams. tho hes not sure though and im not sure if you can tell since the audio quality kind of sucks from my phone.and since im new at this ive never heard a car with upgraded cams before. but anyway wont find out until tomorrow
http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/1soljasl...c6e2a0.mp4.html
(not sure how i post vid but posted the link)just a few more finishing touches and test run it and shes finally back home cant wait

This post has been edited by 1soljaslim5: Nov 9, 2013 - 4:15 AM

--------------------
post Nov 9, 2013 - 4:52 AM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The intake is definitely a Caldina intake. Looking at the engine bay setups it really looks like it would fit.

http://i41.tinypic.com/14r6ty.jpg

There has been speculation that air filters like the Weapon R and the HKS mushroom filter cause turbulence inside the intake and give the MAF some funky readings. I'm not sure if it affects everything in a huge way but the setup should work for now. Cams for the BEAMS are very few and very far between, so it's much more likely that a sensor is malfunctioning. Does it idle well before the engine warms up?

Side note, the BEAMS will throw codes without lighting the CEL. It only illuminates the light for major codes, so you might have your mechanic ground the TC pin in the Diagnostics box under the hood and pull any codes it may be throwing that can affect idle.

So when is the first drive?

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 9, 2013 - 3:24 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

Thanks for the heads up ill be sure to let him know and have that checked out.hopefully nothing too bad and easily fixed but as far as idling goes im not too sure but ill go check it out later today and get a video. but as far as the test drive goes all fluids have been put and wheels back on, test drive it around the street and go from there. hopefully if all goes great which im really hoping it all does then i should have it back in my garage by Monday, I really miss my car its been almost three weeks now kindasad.gif but patience is a virtue i guess and another question since this engine had sat for a while i noticed it may need the belts changed as well as the spark plugs or coils not exactly sure on the name. can i find these parts online? and are there any inter changeable from other car that may be compatible with my engine? thanks in advance

--------------------
post Nov 10, 2013 - 4:43 AM
+Quote Post
BonzaiCelica

Enthusiast
Joined Apr 24, '08
From Orange County, CA
Currently Offline

get an apexi air filter they have a funnel type design which allows for my centralized air flow to your meter. according to their pic diagram.

--------------------
For Sale Items:
post Nov 11, 2013 - 5:14 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

Well i went today and took the car for a spin an i must say MAJOR difference in power shifting 1st and second gear are very stiff at the moment but im pretty sure itll loosen up since the tranny and engine have been sitting there.
at the moment during start the engine seems to be revving by itself (reminds me of a rotatory for some reason.) any ideas what may be causing it??
heres a vid to demonstrate

--------------------
post Nov 11, 2013 - 5:53 PM
+Quote Post
Batman722

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '04
From Newport, RI
Currently Offline

IAC is stuck or bad.
richee3 will have details soon.

--------------------
post Nov 11, 2013 - 6:15 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The revving at startup is most liky the ISCV. They're known for getting gunked up on the BEAMS. Sometimes a simple cleaning will work, sometimes it needs a complete new valve.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 11, 2013 - 6:22 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

Well then i hope a simple cleaning can fix it but as far as everything goes all works good and running normal CEL is on but yea thanks for the info appreciate all the help guys

--------------------
post Nov 11, 2013 - 8:06 PM
+Quote Post
1soljaslim5

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 5, '12
From Sacramento
Currently Offline

Got cleaned and its still doing it so i just may have a bad ISCV ill have to go to venus tomorrow and see if i can get a replacement

--------------------
post Nov 11, 2013 - 9:57 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

The ISCV from an '00-05 Echo will work, or a member here more recently discovered that one from a 2001 Honda Civic with the 1.7 liter will work. Both cost around $150.

Gotta love limited time to post, and leaving out half of the information. The screws in the ISCV are a VERY soft metal and conveniently enough, put in as tight as Toyota could manage. A screwdriver will definitely strip them out. I had to use a die grinder to cut slots in them, effectively making them flat head screws.

This post has been edited by richee3: Nov 12, 2013 - 4:25 AM

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 5:46 AM