6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ST205 steering column, Is the JDM steering column assy compatible with the UKDM
post Oct 31, 2017 - 11:34 AM
+Quote Post
Project6g

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 11, '17
From Europe
Currently Offline

Hello guys, I have a UKDM ST205 that had a broken ignition switch, in the process to replace it the previous owner, he made a mess so the ignition switch does not align with the plastic housing and the steering does not lock when it is in the off/lock posetion. I also have in my position a complete steering column from an st202 JDM, are these just plug and play? I know there is different placement of the wipers with the indicators, but my main concern the wiring is compatible?
Thank you in advance. All the best!

This post has been edited by Project6g: Oct 31, 2017 - 7:15 PM
post Nov 1, 2017 - 9:00 AM
+Quote Post
slavie

Enthusiast
Joined May 2, '15
From NY
Currently Offline

Are you keeping it RHD? Steering columns should be compatible, but some electrical components (airbag and turn signal) may be different depending on the years of the car, column, and the steering wheel you intend to use (pre-facelift vs post-facelift). All the electrical connectors are easy to swap though. Easiest way: there is a plastic box that sits b/w the column and steering wheel which houses the clockspring and turn/wiper stocks - keep that, the steering wheel, and the harness as a set if anything is different.

For the ignition switch, if you need to keep the key, set it to acc (if I remember correctly), and depress the small pin on the side of the switch column, and the switch with the key pulls out. If you need to remove the ignition switch column, it's possible but you have to deal with 2 security bolts (notch with cutoff wheel, use manual hammer driven impact screw remover - worked for me).
post Nov 1, 2017 - 10:33 AM
+Quote Post
Project6g

Enthusiast

Joined Oct 11, '17
From Europe
Currently Offline

QUOTE (slavie @ Nov 1, 2017 - 9:00 AM) *
Are you keeping it RHD? Steering columns should be compatible, but some electrical components (airbag and turn signal) may be different depending on the years of the car, column, and the steering wheel you intend to use (pre-facelift vs post-facelift). All the electrical connectors are easy to swap though. Easiest way: there is a plastic box that sits b/w the column and steering wheel which houses the clockspring and turn/wiper stocks - keep that, the steering wheel, and the harness as a set if anything is different.

For the ignition switch, if you need to keep the key, set it to acc (if I remember correctly), and depress the small pin on the side of the switch column, and the switch with the key pulls out. If you need to remove the ignition switch column, it's possible but you have to deal with 2 security bolts (notch with cutoff wheel, use manual hammer driven impact screw remover - worked for me).

Thanks mate for all the info. I am staying RHD so I will replace the column as a set. The car is postface and the donor car is also postface so I don't think to be any issue. I hope when I plug everything to work correctly and I hope I dont have to repin eny connectors ( UKDM has the indicators left vs the JDM that has the right)

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:26 PM