> bloodMoney's Project V.3, Third time's a charm... Now with 100% more GT-Four
post Apr 22, 2019 - 9:27 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

With the first Midwest meet behind us, I can now post this up.

WARNING: ***Storytime with Chris***

Two years ago, one of my fellow mods over on Celicatech made the decision that it was time to sell his car to fund the purchase of a more practical DD. It was suggested that I purchase the car, but I was not in a financial position to do so. I passed on the offer and the car was listed on Ebay. The auction ended below the reserve, and he circled back around to give me one more shot at it. Stacy and I took it as a sign and scraped up the cash to buy it. That was April 2017.

Fast forward to April 2019, two years of pushing this large financial commitment out of my head, and this pulls up in front of my house:

That new new by bloodMoney2012, on Flickr

The trans had a high RPM grind in 3rd, so the PO put in a new trans as part of the sale. All buttoned up:
Untitled by bloodMoney2012, on Flickr

Let me tell you, it's been a long 2 years...

It's so small compared to the 4Runner!

History on the car:
It was imported to Canada in 2009 as a Grade 4 car. It was used as a DD for a few years before the mod bug bit and little things started happening. It was taken off DD in 2011 and has been a fun car ever since.

It's not without it's fair share of warts, mostly cosmetic. It needs a complete respray, but there's no rust anywhere on this thing. I've put 300km on it since Friday, and this car is hands-down the BEST driving Celica I've driven.

I've already put my SSRs to use... What a difference a set of wheels can make.

Post Meet washdown:

I'm stoked to see what the future brings!

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Apr 22, 2019 - 9:50 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Apr 22, 2019 - 12:50 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

^^^
post Apr 22, 2019 - 1:26 PM
+Quote Post
Tigawoods

Enthusiast
Joined Dec 22, '06
From Columbia, MD
Currently Offline

--------------------

1995 GT::::Diffusing the Situation
エキサイティングカーレーシングチーム!
march 2010 COTM : 6GC feature 2014 : january 2015-2016-2018 COTM
post Apr 22, 2019 - 2:04 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

AND it's a wrc

Time to reactivate the antilag!!!

--------------------
post Apr 22, 2019 - 2:05 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

lol you guys are funny.

I forgot to mention, there's significant travel in the brake pedal, I'm hoping a set of stainless lines and new fluid will help pedal response. If not, I may have to upgrade to a larger master to help get more pressure to the pads with less effort.

Also, I found out on the way home from the meet that only half of the lights in the cluster work... I guess it's time for an LED upgrade and an endworks bezel.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Apr 22, 2019 - 2:37 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Everyone be getting GT-Fours now, makes me sad I'm not. Though Bright Iris Pearl was '95-96 only, so couldn't import one I'd want yet anyway. There we go, that'll help me sleep at night.

Looks good though outside of needing a respray like you said, should take it as an opportunity to do some kind of metallic or pearl black to really make it pop. OHH, one of those prism metallic paints would look awesome:

That with some confetti Recaro seats, would be so magical.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 22, 2019 - 9:18 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

With the paint, I’m going to go the same route as we did with my wife’s alltrac: straight PPG black. No additives nothing. Just black.

I’m planning on putting the car through it’s paces on the track, so I’m likely to end up in a bride or something similar.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Apr 22, 2019 - 9:33 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Apr 22, 2019 - 2:05 PM) *
lol you guys are funny.

I forgot to mention, there's significant travel in the brake pedal, I'm hoping a set of stainless lines and new fluid will help pedal response. If not, I may have to upgrade to a larger master to help get more pressure to the pads with less effort.

Also, I found out on the way home from the meet that only half of the lights in the cluster work... I guess it's time for an LED upgrade and an endworks bezel.

My guess would be seized up slide pins and/or pads seized up in the brackets if there's not air in the system. Rubber brake hoses alone won't make for long pedal travel just make for a kind of squishy 'pushing on a rubber ball' kind of pedal at the end of the travel. Seized up pins can cause the calipers to hang up and actually flex the brackets to engage pads to rotor which means you're taking up a lot of distance (comparatively speaking to the normal tenth of a MM from pad to rotor) with pedal stroke. I think brakes is one of my ASE certs but you don't need to be a genius with that stuff, it's just basic hydraulics. If it's long travel but stops hard with a firm pedal it's more likely seized up junk, if it's a low pedal with a weak apply it's probably air or a bad master cylinder. Rarely do I see ABS issues with Denso systems, usually it's an issue with a single circuit not applying and a few whacks with a hammer while cycling the system will free the stuck part and it's fine for another decade, don't even know if that car has ABS.

Could also be someone messed with the pedal adjustment rod and nut, I know in my Celica I tightened it up a hair to give me a higher touchier brake pedal with about 1/3 less free travel before engaging retina sucking stoppage. Why someone would back it off, I would only guess they were going the wrong way to fix a problem with something hanging up in the system.

--------------------
post Apr 22, 2019 - 9:35 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

But but, opportunities. </3 Just think how fabulous you could look on the track with some black prism metallic paint. That's fine, leave extravagant paints to me then I guess.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 22, 2019 - 10:04 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

We'll all chip in at the next Midwest meet and like get some truck nuts he can hang off the back.

--------------------
post Apr 23, 2019 - 1:27 AM
+Quote Post
CDUB

Enthusiast

Joined Aug 6, '09
From AB, CANADA
Currently Offline

My st205s always had a less than great pedal feel. I,ve got braided stainless lines, EBC pads and rotors. Bled the system twice now hoping it would solid up. No abs on my car. I mean it stops okay but for the overkill brake system the st205s have I expect a little more.

I had to change the brake master on my st185 and it was an absolute pain because of the rhd. Hope the st205 is more forgiving.

I wouldn't mind replacing my gauge cluster lights for some LEDs that more closely match the greddy gauges in the car. Do you know offhand how many and what type of bulb is called for. I hope my roll cage doesn't get in the way of removing panels to pull the cluster.
post Apr 23, 2019 - 1:34 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Apr 22, 2019 - 10:04 PM) *
We'll all chip in at the next Midwest meet and like get some truck nuts he can hang off the back.

Are those seriously still a thing? Why they were a thing to begin with I'll never know, nor why they were made to look as disgusting as possible. Then again I don't understand guys and half the **** they do or think. At least drift charms could be cute and generally weren't crass...

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 23, 2019 - 7:33 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Apr 23, 2019 - 1:34 AM) *
Are those seriously still a thing? Why they were a thing to begin with I'll never know, nor why they were made to look as disgusting as possible. Then again I don't understand guys and half the **** they do or think. At least drift charms could be cute and generally weren't crass...

About the paint, as this car is going to see track time, I need a paint that is going to be an easy match. Metallics suck for that. Especially color shifting metallics.

Jordan: There are no brackets on the 205 the calipers are mounted direct to the knuckles. Apparently, pedal feel is an issue according to the other 205 owners that I've talked to about it, so I'll just need to look it over and make a call. This is an ABS equipped car, but I doubt that has anything to do with anything.

Speaking of drift charms....

This post has been edited by bloodMoney: Apr 29, 2019 - 8:20 AM

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Apr 23, 2019 - 7:46 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Rears too?

--------------------
post Apr 23, 2019 - 7:48 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Yessir.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Apr 23, 2019 - 7:55 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Nice, fixed calipers and floating pads. There's still a chance it's something binding causing a long pedal travel, a literal ton of force will make all kinds of things flex and move when you're burying the pedal. Hopefully a good inspection will reveal a simple cause and you don't have to go swapping out hydraulic parts, that gets old fast and getting good rebuilt parts is hit or miss. A larger bore master would indeed move more fluid per distance of pedal travel and all other things being the same would create more pressure, but I recall there being some other trade off. Pedal height adjustment should be a couple of 17 or 14mm jam nuts up under there, send Theo with a helmet cam in for an exploratory.

Woah the forum clock is off a bit. It's actually 7:38 AM

--------------------
post Apr 23, 2019 - 5:06 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Fair enough on paint, metallic you have to do all at once in the hopes it matches and sorta the same with pearl to an extent.

Yes Jordan, the forum clock has been off for quite awhile now and it's only getting worse.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Apr 29, 2019 - 8:01 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

I like it!!

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Apr 29, 2019 - 8:24 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

I forgot to post these up....

IMG_1181 by bloodMoney2012, on Flickr

IMG_1184 by bloodMoney2012, on Flickr

IMG_1188 by bloodMoney2012, on Flickr

.....And right now it's on jack stands in the garage waiting for the new tires to be mounted.

--------------------
~bloodMoney

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 4:49 PM