> 5sfte dangers?
post Aug 6, 2005 - 12:16 PM
+Quote Post
Valo666

Enthusiast
Joined May 15, '05
From Toronto
Currently Offline

Hey, so when i was at this big carshow a few weeks back, i was talkin to some of the guys from celispeed.com and this guy martin said that u should never/its stupid to turbo a 5sfe. He said that he turboed his old motor and spun a bearing, he also said that like 20 other guys on celispeed.com did it and spun bearings. I asked him if ur only runnin low boost(7-10psi) for a daily driver, and he said dont bother unless uve got spare engines sittin around. Any one whos done the turboed 5sfe had this problem?..or did u do a full rebuild before turbo? or what did u do to keep ur engine alive?
post Aug 6, 2005 - 12:26 PM
+Quote Post
shin

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 21, '04
From New York City
Currently Offline

i think your friend is soooooooo wrong with saying "it's stupid to turboa 5s".. there are so many members here with 5sfte, and other mr2 members so on.... it's not the turbo that cause the problem. it's how you turbo it. look at manny's (presure2) set up and rethink what your friend said. FYI, i'm in the process of turbocharging my 5s too. biggrin.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Turbo install made possible thanks to Team J.D.M.
officially 5SFTE junior member
~*MuH NeW RiDe*~
post Aug 6, 2005 - 3:54 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

basically, if you are going to turbo your car, do a swap, supercharger, or whatever.... have a game plan in place of what to do if the motor blows. you have to remember that you are doing sort of a big experiment by modifying your motor to produce 2x the power it was ever ment to handle and that anythng can happen.

you also have to remember that a lot of those guys have made some major mistakes in their setups. fuel and tuning are the most common ones i noticed. but even if everything is done 100% correctly, dont expect your motor to last 100,000 or more, like a stock celica would.

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Aug 6, 2005 - 9:34 PM
+Quote Post
x_itchy_b_x

Enthusiast
Joined Nov 12, '02
From Webster Ma.
Currently Offline

uhh.. i ran 13psi daily.... motor still runs great to bad the turbo couldn't handle it. it happens.

--------------------
post Aug 7, 2005 - 3:05 AM
+Quote Post
ice23q

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '04
From sydney australia
Currently Offline

I have been running the same for around 18 mounths but have a
stand alone for the tuning side of things..... touch wood i have had no
problems apart from the turbo busting a seal..........

sooooo....id just go for it if your wanting to do it.....

--------------------
IPB Image
312whp with more to come....
post Aug 29, 2005 - 10:10 PM
+Quote Post
rjbibeau

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '04
From oakdale Mn
Currently Offline

my engine lasted about a week i spun the first cylinder rod bearing i'm in the process of swapping out a new 5sfe i shoulda went 3sgte but eghh

--------------------
user posted image
post Aug 30, 2005 - 1:39 AM
+Quote Post
celicast3sgte

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 10, '05
From Monroe, WA
Currently Offline

i swapped, well i didnt have a choice my car came 40% swapped.. anyways im just curious about you 5sfte'rs that had bearing issues, how many miles and how often was the oil checked? a friend and i spun his rod 1 &2 bearings on his 3000gt from racing on 1quart low of oil (a recent oil leak from the pan).

--------------------
94' ST Coupe - 5sfe Motor swap and brake swap.
post Aug 30, 2005 - 3:26 AM
+Quote Post
ice23q

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 16, '04
From sydney australia
Currently Offline

well i should have touched thicker wood.....

My 5sfte has just blowen up....boom....with a massiff amount of blow buy...

so im gonna rebuild it with forged pistons and rods, valves, cams and rockers.....port and polish the head...cam gear...bearing and seals...and a few other little tricks......

3sgte....naaahhhhhh..!!!!

--------------------
IPB Image
312whp with more to come....
post Aug 30, 2005 - 11:47 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

IMO the biggest danger in ANY 5sfte setup is the person building it, and tuning it, period.

--------------------
Former Team 5SFTE pro member ;)

13.6@108MPH, 5SFTE Powered
post Aug 30, 2005 - 3:18 PM
+Quote Post
rjbibeau

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '04
From oakdale Mn
Currently Offline

my oil pump pooped out on me

--------------------
user posted image
post Aug 30, 2005 - 4:24 PM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE(rjbibeau @ Aug 30, 2005 - 4:18 PM)
[right][snapback]329480[/snapback][/right]

out of curiosity, how many miles on the engine, rjb, and did you have a oil pressure gauge in at the time of the failure?

--------------------

post Aug 31, 2005 - 12:21 AM
+Quote Post
Burt

Enthusiast

Joined Mar 9, '04
Currently Offline

the main problem with boosting the 5S-FE is that its so easy that inexperienced tuners boost to high for the engines own good.

they experience the power that a turbo can provide and they get the very contagious boost bug.

most tuners owning a 6gc don't realize that these engines aren't made for boosting at all. The high compression and weak internals make for eventual disaster.

A select few on this website continue to boost their 5S-FE with good luck because they are responsible in their boosting habits. They realize that to much boost with these engines can cost to much money.

Factorty turbocharged engines have a massive potential for power while factory NA engines can only take so much without the proper internals, fuel management, engine management, etc.

On one side of the fence it is not a wise choice to boost the 5S-FE if you want 3S-GTE power because of all the extra parts necessary to strengthen this engine.

On the other side if you can have enough will power to restrain yourself from boosting to high on an already high mileage engine the 5S-F(T)E if you want to call it that will work great for the low range tuner. Not for someone who wants to smoke most other tuners' favorite cars on the road. Or for someone who is craving 3S-GTE power.

post Aug 31, 2005 - 8:01 AM
+Quote Post
rjbibeau

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '04
From oakdale Mn
Currently Offline

QUOTE(presure2 @ Aug 30, 2005 - 9:24 PM)
QUOTE(rjbibeau @ Aug 30, 2005 - 4:18 PM)
[right][snapback]329480[/snapback][/right]

out of curiosity, how many miles on the engine, rjb, and did you have a oil pressure gauge in at the time of the failure?
[right][snapback]329508[/snapback][/right]

about 135 k it's all highway miles the previous owner before me drove the car over 150 a day to go to work. and ya i had the autometer c2 oil pressure gauge. and bam it went tot zero all of a suden. it's kinda wierd cuz the same thing happened to my buddy with a lude he has the h22 in it both incidents happened within a week of each other. so now he has the jspec h22 in it he's got 200 hp at the crank... that's stock. vtec in that baby is unbelievable. we were racing my buddy's protege speed boosting 10 pounds we kept up with em.

--------------------
user posted image
post Aug 31, 2005 - 8:03 AM
+Quote Post
rjbibeau

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 6, '04
From oakdale Mn
Currently Offline

so i think i have a turbo kit for sale. this aint's no ghetto rigged kit either. so anyone intrested i'll have pics of it in a lil bit.

This post has been edited by rjbibeau: Aug 31, 2005 - 8:04 AM

--------------------
user posted image
post Aug 31, 2005 - 8:05 AM
+Quote Post
presure2

Joined Oct 1, '02
From fall river, ma
Currently Offline

QUOTE(Burt @ Aug 31, 2005 - 1:21 AM)
the main problem with boosting the 5S-FE is that its so easy that inexperienced tuners boost to high for the engines own good.

they experience the power that a turbo can provide and they get the very contagious boost bug.

most tuners owning a 6gc don't realize that these engines aren't made for boosting at all.  The high compression and weak internals make for eventual disaster.

A select few on this website continue to boost their 5S-FE with good luck because they are responsible in their boosting habits.  They realize that to much boost with these engines can cost to much money.

Factorty turbocharged engines have a massive potential for power while factory NA engines can only take so much without the proper internals,  fuel management, engine management, etc.

On one side of the fence it is not a wise choice to boost the 5S-FE if you want 3S-GTE power because of all the extra parts necessary to strengthen this engine.

On the other side if you can have enough will power to restrain yourself from boosting to high on an already high mileage engine the 5S-F(T)E if you want to call it that will work great for the low range tuner.  Not for someone who wants to smoke most other tuners' favorite cars on the road.    Or for someone who is craving 3S-GTE power.
[right][snapback]329656[/snapback][/right]

good post burt, i agree totally with just about everything you said there.

--------------------

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 9:31 AM