6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V  « < 18 19 20  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The white rescued Celica. (1994 ST204) Pictures galore., Suspension re-do time!
post Oct 11, 2013 - 9:24 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I'm actually kind of curious as to what you could get out of it from raising the compression up to 12:1 or so, larger cams, and full exhaust. Though the heads are the real limiting factor, stupid FE heads. Hmm... Perhaps could get a 3S-GE head to work in the way you can get a 4A-GE head to work with the 7A-FE. Might make for a worthwhile alternative to swapping, outside of the 3S-GTE anyway.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 11, 2013 - 9:51 PM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

I've been really curious as to making a hybrid engine. I feel like it's a lot of work but pretty cool concept. A 3S-GE head on a 5S-FE block. Could call it a 5S-GE or a 2.2 3S-GE. Lol idk. If I changed the head to a 3s, wouldn't I have to change engine computers too? How would that work... The distributors are different too.

Reading the "how to" now tongue.gif

This post has been edited by RabidTRD: Oct 11, 2013 - 10:02 PM

--------------------
1994 Toyota Celica GT-S 5S-FE 190k Miles. Project car
1992 Toyota Celica GT 5S-FE 170k Miles. Daily driver/beater
1999 Toyota Camry LE 5S-FE 216K Miles. RIP You will be missed.

*ASE Certified General Manager
post Oct 11, 2013 - 10:51 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

5S-GE, FE or GE just designates the head's valve angle etc... I'd imagine it'd be similar to what's needed done with the 7A-GE hybrid. I looked into a 7A-GE at one point, but it didn't really seem it was worth all of the trouble for 20-30 horsepower. Though if a 5S-GE were worthwhile you'd think a lot more people would be doing it. Meh if it adds 40+ I'd say it'd be worthwhile, then could add more by raising the compression and camming it, exhaust etc... Even with not doing the head swap, if you could get it into the 170+ range I'd say it'd be worthwhile. Should put it into Integra GS-R territory at the least, so maybe low 7's to 60.

This post has been edited by Box: Oct 11, 2013 - 10:52 PM

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 12, 2013 - 12:40 AM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

Which is possible with cams, raised compression and a full exhaust with a proper extractor header. I remember talking to an MR2 guy a while back about building the 5S, and he had one pushing 200hp. It was nuts. I'd love to do something like that.

In all honesty, I'm pretty happy with the power(torque) the 5S provides, as all I do is city/suburb travel on twisty roads at speeds between 30 and 50. I almost never do any highway traveling, at least not for fun. It feels great in the corners but would be cool to get just a little more oomph out of it. Reliability is a factor to me so I'm almost leaning more toward a just building a reman 5S head up.

--------------------

post Oct 12, 2013 - 1:55 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Yeah I know what you mean, my car never sees over 55 unless I'm attempting to pass an idiot. tongue.gif That being the case I say perhaps a mild cam setup and mildly shaving the head along with full exhaust. A little more grunt, but shouldn't hurt reliability or mpg too much. I hear the 5GC had more aggressive cams, so may look into pulling some from a junkyard and using them versus spending much more on a custom grind. Apparently it already has a 9.5:1 compression ratio, so maybe take it up to 10:1 or 10.5:1 perhaps.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 12, 2013 - 1:19 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Oct 12, 2013 - 2:55 AM) *
Yeah I know what you mean, my car never sees over 55 unless I'm attempting to pass an idiot. tongue.gif That being the case I say perhaps a mild cam setup and mildly shaving the head along with full exhaust. A little more grunt, but shouldn't hurt reliability or mpg too much. I hear the 5GC had more aggressive cams, so may look into pulling some from a junkyard and using them versus spending much more on a custom grind. Apparently it already has a 9.5:1 compression ratio, so maybe take it up to 10:1 or 10.5:1 perhaps.

5th gens did come with a slightly more aggressive cam setup
Idk how much better they are but you might find that those with some good head work an a safc might do the trick

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Oct 12, 2013 - 2:57 PM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

That would make it cheaper... Hmm. If they weren't what I wanted, I could always change later too. Anyone know if I need helper shims on the 5GC cams to make them work in the 6gc head?

--------------------

post Oct 13, 2013 - 10:25 AM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

I don't think you do
Maybe just pick up the buckets for a 5th gen too

Fine the can specs before you get them
I can't remember if its the whole year range of the 5th gen or just a couple years

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Dec 22, 2013 - 1:33 AM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

Blah. I hate winter. I also hate the fact that Haynes has torque specs wrong... Everywhere. It told me 140somethin for the front hub nuts... Apparently it's 162... Had to buy a new torque wrench and now I've got to tighten both before they blow out.

I also hate that I've got no motivation in the winter since I have no place to work on my car anymore frown.gif but spring will bring new paint, new tires and hopefully a new head to build on the side.

Anyone know where I can source a set of Euro risers? I could have sworn Vincent had them, but they're gone now.

--------------------

post Dec 22, 2013 - 10:06 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I always just get the service manual for whatever car it is, forget the Hayne's or Chilton's garbage.

No idea, as I've looked before and found nothing.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Feb 16, 2014 - 2:45 PM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

The winter has been a burden here. It's rusting the car more and more. She's def going in for body repairs in the spring. The moped will be done by then and I can ride that while she's having her rust fixed.

Purchased new, southern doors (same paint code), driver side fender (for Sara's car) and a gas tank for either of ours. Sourced them for a good price and thanks to Ben, I'll be able to have them on the car in the spring as well.

Project clean car will start shortly haha. Any suggestions as to what to use under the doors to keep the new ones from rusting? I was thinking truck bed liner, but I don't want to clog the drain holes.

--------------------

post Feb 16, 2014 - 2:48 PM
+Quote Post
ILoveMySilly97

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 8, '12
From Hanford/Fresno, Ca
Currently Offline

PlastiDip? Lol.

--------------------
post Apr 14, 2014 - 7:20 AM
+Quote Post
RabidTRD

Enthusiast
Joined May 31, '11
From Rochester, NY
Currently Offline

Lol that may work.

So I might have something special on the way very soon. I should be saving up for body work, but I couldn't pass these up. Pics will follow once they're received and on.

--------------------

20 Pages V  « < 18 19 20
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 7:43 AM