> Rave's Next Progression Thread, 95 GT Red
post Jan 12, 2012 - 2:24 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

To properly start a new progress thread, the new vehicle must be shown. So here we go.

Now that is complete, we move on to this weekends fun.

Majority of items needed to accomplish the clutch change.

Prepped work area.

Should be an eventful weekend.

Plans for this weekend: (Let see how many I actully complete)

Clutch
swap over riser blocks
swap over rear ssIII splitters
swap over highs and projectors ( Remove OEM casing from light, and apply to projector broken casing) Covert connectors.
install headunit with proper facekit
wire in amp, and subs.
remove rear seats

Thats a hefty list, but I think I can do it. I'll damn well try. Hoping the locals have their earplugs ready.

Any of you Floridians want to come to Gainesville? I'll supply beer, pizza, and California type headache relief wink.gif
post Jan 12, 2012 - 2:45 PM
+Quote Post
kurt95gt

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 23, '11
From kenton ohio
Currently Offline

Only if i lived in fl

--------------------
95 gt coupe, v6 swap weekend toy
99 gt hatch beams swapped wife's
94 st hatch my daily driver
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=82235
n
post Jan 12, 2012 - 3:40 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

I look forward to this thread

--------------------
post Jan 12, 2012 - 4:08 PM
+Quote Post
Keiri

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 6, '04
From Charlotte, NC
Currently Offline

thumbsup.gif

Nice pickup Rave and I'm with ender - I look forward to this thread's progress.

PS: Welcome to Club 3L2!

--------------------
Has no more Celicas
post Jan 12, 2012 - 4:33 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Keiri @ Jan 12, 2012 - 5:08 PM) *
thumbsup.gif

Nice pickup Rave and I'm with ender - I look forward to this thread's progress.

PS: Welcome to Club 3L2!

Thanks guys!

I'm going to do the best I can to take a bunch of pics during. I tend to forget as I get consumed at the job(s) at hand.

Going to start tearing her down tomorrow afternoon, today was just prep, and getting everything to get the job started. The box with all the ordered items should arrive Saturday. So with luck, I should be able to start putting on new parts Saturday, and button her up Sunday.
post Jan 13, 2012 - 2:28 PM
+Quote Post
mak5603

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 20, '08
From Seattle, WA
Currently Offline

Good luck on the new project! I think you could finish it all this weekend, at least the major stuff, will be a nice bonding time for you and the new car.

If i was in florida all 3 of those sound nice, id be down to help. wink.gif

--------------------
2006 BMW 330i - 6 Speed - Dinan Stage 1
2014 Toyota Rav4 XLE
post Jan 13, 2012 - 5:15 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Seeing as you're actually not very far from me, I may take up you up on that. You had me at Cali relief.

I won't have time this weekend, but if you're still wrenching next week I won't mind popping over to help out.

This post has been edited by SwissFerdi: Jan 13, 2012 - 5:17 PM

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 13, 2012 - 5:50 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (SwissFerdi @ Jan 13, 2012 - 6:15 PM) *
Seeing as you're actually not very far from me, I may take up you up on that. You had me at Cali relief.

I won't have time this weekend, but if you're still wrenching next week I won't mind popping over to help out.

Hah sounds good! Clutch is the major this weekend, but I have plenty of suspension to do next weekend!
post Jan 13, 2012 - 6:08 PM
+Quote Post
SwissFerdi

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 18, '09
From Orlando
Currently Offline

Oh yes. I'm down. Tuesdays and thursdays are reserved for school, but otherwise my schedule is open.

--------------------
'97 ST \ Eibach \ KYB \ Kenwood \ Alpine \ Cusco \ OEM+ [sold 10/18]
'93 MX-5 LE
post Jan 14, 2012 - 5:37 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

So a day of progress, but per usual I can't get to the final step because the rear mount is being a pain in my ass. Can't get the engine to rotate the direction I need, not sure why, nor can I find my deepwell 14mm to remove the trannie mount. Doesn't appear you can remove the mount from the block as simple with the ST. So, after a good 10 hours today...I'm done til tomorrow.

I did manage to pick up some goodies. All for 115 bucks. Was a gent that had children and had to rid of his Celica. Go Go craigslist for an amazing deal.

post Jan 14, 2012 - 5:42 PM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

WOW, that's like the price of ONE of those items you have there. very nice deal! smile.gif

glad to see you back in the game too.

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.
post Jan 14, 2012 - 5:46 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (cheela @ Jan 14, 2012 - 6:42 PM) *
WOW, that's like the price of ONE of those items you have there. very nice deal! smile.gif

glad to see you back in the game too.

Yea I was surprised when he took my offer. I originally thought he was just giving me the 2 front inserts, but when he pulled out all four I quickly handed him the funds =)

Glad to be back!
post Jan 14, 2012 - 9:05 PM
+Quote Post
dakotahwyatt

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 2, '12
From pickerington ohio
Currently Offline

I'll giveya 120 and a six pack and 2 pizza and call it a deal?
post Jan 15, 2012 - 4:10 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Aw man has it been a busy day.

All right, I need to say something here to. There are million ways I've read to get that rear mount, most circulate around "rotate the engine." I'd like the give the trophy to if I recall correctly to TRDproven for coming up with the idea to just lower the suspension crossmember. Simply loosen up the 8 or so large bolts that hold the frame, and bam you can unbolt the mount from the member, as well the bolt through the mount itself, lift it up. take member out, then simply turn the mount right out. I had a epic battle with this thing til I quit yesterday. 20 mins of "rotating" , I tried that and it was out in 5 mins.

I'm even guilty in a recent thread informing someone to remove the bracket from the block whoops.

As another thing I've learned today. DO NOT TENSION THE AXLE if you are trying to pop it out. See that dust shield, thats from me getting frustrated using the "tension" method I read as well. I even tried from the other side to tap the shaft, stupid I know. Didn't do it but a few and said to myself bad idea.

In the end, I just tied the axle up with some metal wire, got a proper pry bar after a trip to the store, and one simple push with the prybar and my foot, with no tension. Was out so easy. 3 hours today on that...what a waste, but its out now! Now I have to determine if I can find a replacement dustshield, the axle itself is fine.

Took me some time to find all the hidden bolts and angles to remove, but she is finally out.

Cheapie to get me to the 3sgte.

Old vs. new - Studs didn't grind into the flywheel, just a slight sand, and clean up. Another "it'll do" til the swap.

The didn't grind the flywheel mainly because the clutch fluid was horribly low, and air in the line when I got her. So it might have been a small blessing.

The hole! - Just a tip for any concerned, don't skip anything. Nor think this is a quick easy job because you've seen a howto with 8 steps....like my dumbass.

Remove everything in the way! Its alot, i've taken alot of pictures and may use them to create a howto later on, in some detail.

Oh yea, broke my slave cylinder rubber line. Was old and cracked when I zipped tied it to the harness...lol it was meant to save it from harm, not destroy it!.

Well now i'm sore as hell, but semi-content on progress, put it all back together tomorrow, and wait on further parts.
post Jan 16, 2012 - 6:47 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Well, a total of 30 hours and it pulls good. The clutch pedal feels really weak though, I don't know if that is an issue, being the clutch works fine, though I didn't drop it or anything being brand new. Not sure if I'm used to how the ST was, which my leg get tired in traffic, but this one just slams down. I might need to bleed the line some more maybe. I patched the crack in the line with some tegflex, or whatever its called. Rubber wrap, great stuff! New line on order. Thinking of stealing the STs

Either or, I didn't get half my list done, but I'm happy with the progress. No power tools, had to assemble a hoist, and first time with running solo, like someone with some mechanical skills =P

Still got alot to do. Idles bad when cold, and has a vacuum leak I need to find out. Alot of hoses look bad, and cracked. Got some grinding, sounds like dust shields hitting the rotors, or just horrible breaks...hopefully not my ghetto rigged dust shield, but thats a easy fix nowadays! Those to be done next weekend with the suspension overhaul of Eibach Sportlines transferred and the new GR2's to slap on..so it'll be some tinkering time soon enough. Hopefully get some of the other list items done during the week. Cosmetics, and getting her registered and insured for the road.

Ibprohen time!
post Jan 18, 2012 - 11:18 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

good job dude. Glad to see members sticking with celi's instead of moving on.

Its amazing how the smallest stuff will consume all your time right? I basically double my time estimates these days because everything always takes longer than planned haha

--------------------
post Jan 18, 2012 - 11:48 PM
+Quote Post
bsamps4

Enthusiast
Joined May 16, '10
From Raleigh
Currently Offline

What are you plans for this car?

--------------------
post Jan 19, 2012 - 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (enderswift @ Jan 18, 2012 - 11:18 PM) *
good job dude. Glad to see members sticking with celi's instead of moving on.

Its amazing how the smallest stuff will consume all your time right? I basically double my time estimates these days because everything always takes longer than planned haha

Lol, I'm sticking with the Celica until I can't get simple parts for it at an auto store. Hopefully by that point my wrecking days will be over, and I finally got one completed to my standard and can garage it.

Definately, I swore the clutch wouldn't take me that long, but it sure did! - i'll have to start doing that with my time frames as well =P

QUOTE (bsamps4 @ Jan 18, 2012 - 11:48 PM) *
What are you plans for this car?

Already have 3sgte for it, once I get it stable in driving sense..breaks, suspension, tires etc etc. My focus will shift back to the 3s and getting all the seals and such done. Cleaning up the whole bay and dropping her in.

Exterior going to stick with the ssIII splitters front and back, as well the gt-four raiser blocks. Still looking for skirts, but funds are not in the right place right now to pick some up. Projectors will also be swapped over from the wrecked ST.

I got a lot of work ahead, and hit one hell of a bump in the road. Thanks to the wonderful state of Florida. Went to get everything legal today, and I had no idea, but because I don't have an existing FL plate, there are some extra fees in the excess of 300 dollars. On top of the already insured 550 premium insurance that was paid, and DL fees rounding up to 150. Lets throw the clutch and others items this past week, excluding the car price, I've spent 1200+ and they still want more.

Basically as it looks right now, I won't be driving her til the next 15th paycheck...which really sucks some ass considering everything I went through to get her road ready today. So...now i just nit pick at items, and transfer what I can from the old one while I stick my middle finger in the air to responsiblity, but humbly wait until its all legal.

Edit: Funding solution solved for the time being, hope to have her legal tomorrow.

This post has been edited by rave2n: Jan 19, 2012 - 3:58 PM
post Jan 20, 2012 - 5:48 PM
+Quote Post
rave2n

Enthusiast
Joined May 29, '09
From Gainesville, FL
Currently Offline

Little progress today, but it surely needed it.

New front pads, old ones were shot and making some mean noise. Still have to do backs, but all in good time.

Some bad connections to be fixed, and replaced.

And of course, removal of such ugly decals, and apply the proper one.

Replaced the slave cynlinder as well, just waiting on the lady to get home to help me bleed it.

Possibly take her for a spin this evening, suspension tomorrow if time permits.

post Jan 20, 2012 - 10:37 PM
+Quote Post
njccmd2002

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 15, '07
From Tennessee
Currently Offline

glad to see someone loving to work on the car

--------------------
Learned a lot in 10 years... I hardly log in anymore, last login Today Sept 6 2019, and I was forced just to clarify a post. LOL

If you PM me and I dont respond, dont fret or cry. Im alive, better post your questions in the thread below, maybe I log back in

2grfe Swapped... Why I chose the 2GR, before you ask read here...

A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within.

@llamaraxing in Instagram is the best way to find me. I hardly log here anymore.

14 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 10:06 AM