post Jan 3, 2020 - 9:20 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Funny that it's back today!

UPDATE: I got the car all back together, went to start, and nothing. It would crank, but would not fire over. Traced it back to a fuel issue, and was able to get the car to fire on starter fluid.

Spent a few days half-heartedly searching for the issue, but was able to dedicate most of the day yesterday to it. As it turns out, the photo that I took for reference for the 16-pin connector had two wires switched, so I re-pinned it incorrectly. It dawned on me to look at the male connector for reference since the fuel pump wiring is the same color from the front of the car to the back (Blue w/Black stripe). Once I corrected the wiring the car fired right up.

Now I just need to fill the cooling systems and the power steering system and we should be good to go.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jan 3, 2020 - 10:20 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Dec 3, 2019 - 10:07 AM) *
So, after I get her back together, she'll get a full tank of gas with Stabil, and we'll start talking to the body shop again.

Not sure if you have any Casey's gas stations around you, but some of them carry 93 octane ethanol free pump gas. One a town over from me carries it and I use it for my small engine stuff, including my two stroke string trimmer and blower.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Jan 3, 2020 - 10:29 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (narly_charley @ Jan 3, 2020 - 11:20 AM) *
So, after I get her back together, she'll get a full tank of gas with Stabil, and we'll start talking to the body shop again.

Not sure if you have any Casey's gas stations around you, but some of them carry 93 octane ethanol free pump gas. One a town over from me carries it and I use it for my small engine stuff, including my two stroke string trimmer and blower.

The closest one is 23 miles from me. It would cost me 1/4 tank just to get there and back. It'd be one hell of a break-in run though.....

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jan 3, 2020 - 10:47 AM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jan 3, 2020 - 11:29 AM) *
QUOTE (narly_charley @ Jan 3, 2020 - 11:20 AM) *

The closest one is 23 miles from me. It would cost me 1/4 tank just to get there and back. It'd be one hell of a break-in run though.....

YES! lol. I would just call ahead of time. Chicago doesn't have much for ethanol free gas. It's crazy how much it tears up aluminum (in small engines). It's basically poison for two stroke engines. I pair it with Amsoil Saber stroke oil and they start on the first pull, every time.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Jan 15, 2020 - 6:10 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

So as someone who has all three generations of GT-Four (even if the 185 is a little more rusty,) what are your thoughts? Is the 205 any better than the others or would you still take Stacy’s 165 to the Dragon?

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jan 16, 2020 - 8:23 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (richee3 @ Jan 15, 2020 - 6:10 PM) *
So as someone who has all three generations of GT-Four (even if the 185 is a little more rusty,) what are your thoughts? Is the 205 any better than the others or would you still take Stacy’s 165 to the Dragon?

The 205 is, by far, the BEST of the three (in factory trim); in terms of chassis development. Toyota had applied all the lessons learned from the previous two generations along with some 3rd gen Group B rallying, to designing the chassis/suspension and it shows. This car is the 7th celica I've owned in the last 20 years (9th if you count the two parts cars), and so far has lived up to the hype.

That being said, we'll see in the spring, after her first track day, if I still feel the same way. smile.gif

As far as taking the 165 back down to the Dragon, I would drive anything just to get back down there.....

This post has been edited by bloodMoney: Jan 16, 2020 - 8:25 AM

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jan 17, 2020 - 9:19 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Got it all buttoned back up and on the ground last night.

Took her for a test drive with no issues. I have no check engine lights or weird sounds....

My only issue is that I have a high idle ~2k RPM. If I pull the IAC hose and plug it, the idle drops to about 1k, but that's still high as the idle is supposed to be ~750.

I also need to find some weather-proof connectors so that I can quickly connect my gauge wiring. It's one of the last things I need to do still, as I had to cut the wires to get it all out.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jan 17, 2020 - 1:01 PM
+Quote Post
enderswift

Enthusiast
Joined Jul 12, '08
Currently Offline

This is a guess, but the power steering idle-up switch has two vac lines running to it. Mine tore at one point and fed extra air into the IAC junction pipe. They are very close to the transfer case so it's also easy to dislodge them during a trans install

--------------------
post Jan 17, 2020 - 9:18 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jan 17, 2020 - 8:19 AM) *
I also need to find some weather-proof connectors so that I can quickly connect my gauge wiring. It's one of the last things I need to do still, as I had to cut the wires to get it all out.

How many pins and what wire gauge?

I like Weatherpack stuff, it's cheap and works well. Not as awesome as Douche connectors but still pretty good. You can get them in 2 to 4 wire in that style pretty easily and in other styles for more wires. You're supposed to have a special crimper for them but if you're not a ham fisted idiot you can do it with any decent regular crimper to get the wire held and just solder it to make sure it's a solid connection. Hardest part is getting the fingers wrapped around the rubber plug in a somewhat round manner.
https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Pin-Weathe...r/dp/B0051PFA5O

This post has been edited by Bitter: Jan 17, 2020 - 9:27 PM

--------------------
post Jan 20, 2020 - 9:24 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 17, 2020 - 9:18 PM) *
QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jan 17, 2020 - 8:19 AM) *

How many pins and what wire gauge?

I like Weatherpack stuff, it's cheap and works well. Not as awesome as Douche connectors but still pretty good. You can get them in 2 to 4 wire in that style pretty easily and in other styles for more wires. You're supposed to have a special crimper for them but if you're not a ham fisted idiot you can do it with any decent regular crimper to get the wire held and just solder it to make sure it's a solid connection. Hardest part is getting the fingers wrapped around the rubber plug in a somewhat round manner.
https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Pin-Weathe...r/dp/B0051PFA5O

I have two, two-wire connections to make. I'm thinking these, because they are already pinned.

pigtail connectors

I'm lazy. lol

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jan 20, 2020 - 2:55 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Ived used those or something very similar, if you're not moving power or ground of many amps they're ok. I wasn't thrilled with how tight the seals fit so I packed them with thick silicone grease. Should probably pack all the electrical connections to make sure there's nothing wicking in on humid days in storage.

--------------------
post Jan 20, 2020 - 3:47 PM
+Quote Post
narly_charley

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 1, '09
From Marengo, IL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Jan 20, 2020 - 2:55 PM) *
Ived used those or something very similar, if you're not moving power or ground of many amps they're ok. I wasn't thrilled with how tight the seals fit so I packed them with thick silicone grease. Should probably pack all the electrical connections to make sure there's nothing wicking in on humid days in storage.

I was just about to say the same thing about the dielectric grease, I'd pack em and then you never have to worry about them.

--------------------

2000 GT-S 6 SPD... SOLD!
post Feb 7, 2020 - 12:37 PM
+Quote Post
Lorelei6gc

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 7, '20
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Poking my head in to subscribe to your thread. wink.gif
post Jun 15, 2020 - 1:47 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Offline

Bump

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Jun 15, 2020 - 2:57 PM
+Quote Post
navseal345

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 17, '09
From Millard, Omaha, Nebraska
Currently Offline

And another one bites the dust.
post Jun 15, 2020 - 6:22 PM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Noting really to update.... Got the car back on the ground. I need an alignment and potentially some crush tubes, but it drives great.

I forgot how much I enjoyed driving it.

The End.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jun 15, 2020 - 6:32 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jun 15, 2020 - 6:22 PM) *
Noting really to update.... Got the car back on the ground. I need an alignment and potentially some crush tubes, but it drives great.

The End.

With or without the new suspension?

--------------------
post Jun 16, 2020 - 7:35 AM
+Quote Post
bloodMoney

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 4, '06
From Chicagoland
Currently Offline

Without. It's getting too nice out not to have the car, and we were waiting for the factory to get back up, so I've pulled my parts back and will deliver some extras that I've acquired so that I don't have 2 cars tied up in the garage for a full year.

--------------------
~bloodMoney
post Jun 16, 2020 - 7:41 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jun 16, 2020 - 7:35 AM) *
Without. It's getting too nice out not to have the car, and we were waiting for the factory to get back up, so I've pulled my parts back and will deliver some extras that I've acquired so that I don't have 2 cars tied up in the garage for a full year.

Well.
At least you're back to driving it now, running backwards through Mcdonalds and stuff.

--------------------
post Jun 16, 2020 - 8:33 AM
+Quote Post
cheela

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 2, '07
From Berlin, WI
Currently Offline

QUOTE (bloodMoney @ Jun 15, 2020 - 6:22 PM) *

The End.

Pics or GTFO

This post has been edited by cheela: Jun 16, 2020 - 8:33 AM

--------------------

*1997 Celica ST - 3SGE Greytop BEAMS
*1977 Celica RA29 - Classic Cruiser
*2005 Matrix AWD - dedded but still hanging around like a ghost
2019 Rav4 XLE Premium - Sports mode is fun.

13 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 8:03 AM