post Jun 24, 2015 - 2:00 AM
+Quote Post
starfishPRIME

Enthusiast

Joined Jun 23, '15
From Queens, NY
Currently Offline

Hello all.

I'm new to the Celica world, but seeing the plethora of information available on this site, I'm sure I'll get familiar quick.

I used to own a 1987 Toyota MR2, and that thing was a lot of fun. Sadly, I had to let it go for financial reasons.

I needed a car and I saw a Celica for sale. I knew that I'd have to get used to driving FWD, but the need for a car eclipsed the want of an RWD car. I ended up purchasing this car for $850.

The car is starting to grow on me. Its wide presence is one of the main reasons.

258,xxx MI on a very tired 7-AFE

Despite the high mileage, the body seems to be in pretty decent condition. The previous owner said that the car was driven back and forth from New Jersey to Georgia quite frequently.

The front end is probably the worst, but all things considered, it really isn't that bad. Needs a new paint job at most. I put in some yellow HB bulbs for that yellow euro tint. Hopefully I can snag some OEM fogs in the future.

The interior was another place that I set out to make my own. Before, the plastic was dirty, the shift boot was ratty, and the gauges were extremely dim. I went ahead and wrapped many pieces of the interior plastic trim with carbon fiber vinyl.
I put a matching CF style shift boot. I decided to keep the stock green gauge light theme going because I didn't feel like taking apart my climate control module to switch some bulbs. The new green LEDs are miles better than the old 194s.
I did want the "submarine" look, so I opted for a red dome light. I like the mood it gives the interior.

Overall, it is an interesting car.

I knew I wanted a Celica in my life, but I didn't think I'd own one so soon. My plans were to own an all-trac ST185, but this will suffice for now.
I do miss the MR2, but I think I'll learn to love this one.

I don't think I'm going to make this into something its not though.
As much as I'd like the extra power, seeing some of the builds here really opened my eyes to how much money goes into making the 7-AFE fast, when I could just buy something else.
I'm not knocking other builds here - in fact, I admire the craftsmanship of the few 7AFE turbo builds, but I don't think it's for me, especially with myself being a college student making next to nothing.

I think I'll just enjoy the car for what it is.

I'm not turned off to the idea of having a better suspension/exhaust setup, however.
I also have a few ideas for wheels in mind.

Any nuggets of wisdom are welcomed. Thanks for reading, and for allowing me to be part of this community.

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 29th, 2024 - 8:47 AM