6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3SGTE with auto tranny, Is it as easy as bolting on?
post Dec 9, 2005 - 8:59 AM
+Quote Post
desertwolf300

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 27, '04
From Texas
Currently Offline

I've looked through all the stickies and did some searching so NO BASHING.

It seems like everyone who has a 3sgte has a manual tranny. I'd like to know why. Is it because of the whole manual is more fun thing or is it because an auto tranny isn't possible. Also, when I say auto tranny bolt-on, I mean will it stay a front wheel drive. I don't want to do any rear-wheel or all-wheel drive conversions. If I do the swap, I'd like an auto for a daily driver because shifting all the time in traffic sucks. With all this, here's my main question: Are there any auto transmissions that will simply bolt on to a 3sgte motor and keep it front wheel drive? If someone has the answer, please post it.

--Bill
post Dec 9, 2005 - 9:52 AM
+Quote Post
CelicaZR

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 25, '05
From Sydney, Australia
Currently Offline

You can use an auto transmission to bolt up to
the 3sgte. My friends ex-car had a 3sgte swap with
an auto transmission. I'm not sure what it was.
I think it has the same transmission that bolted
up to the 3sge.
But in my opinion it was not worth it going auto.

--------------------

98 ST204 ZR - Black Beauty - Roaming the streets of Sydney
73 TA22 LT - Tiffany Blue - Mint Classic Weekend Cruiser
75 TA22 LT - Snow White - Mint Classic Weekend Cruiser
77 RA28 LT - Flubber Green - Mint Classic Weekend Cruiser
94 MX-5 NA8 Clubman - Red Racer - Looking for corners
WIP Project: 69 RT40 Corona, 2nd WIP Project: 66 RT40 1600s Corona
86 Corona RT142 - Daily Driver

6GC 4 Life Baby!!!
post Dec 9, 2005 - 10:42 AM
+Quote Post
desertwolf300

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 27, '04
From Texas
Currently Offline

That's awesome, could you ask him to verify what type of transmission it was and whether or not there were any additional problems with mounting and operation? Will the 3sge auto tranny break under that kind of torque? I wouldn't think so. I don't think an auto would be bad for a turbo. My friend's old supra has an auto and it will outrun just about anything. The autos will still downshift on their own if you floor it and then rev high to get the boost. I don't care if I don't reach the "full potential" like you would with a manual, again, I just want an easy daily driver with pep. I really appreciate your reply, thanks.

--Bill
post Dec 9, 2005 - 11:07 AM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

What I've gathered so far:
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26475
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26491

1. An auto trans will bolt up to a 3SGTE.
2. The flexplate will NOT bolt to the 3SGTE crank. (Confirmed 10-11-2006) It will need machined to fit the larger bolts.
3. The 6th gen trans is computer controlled so you'll need the 5SFE's auto ECU to control it.
4. The BGB's at celicatech will be your best resource:
http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/bgb.php#6th

This post has been edited by WannabeGT4: Oct 11, 2006 - 10:15 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
Project ST204.5 99.88946% complete...
post Dec 9, 2005 - 11:33 AM
+Quote Post
jgreening

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '04
From Illinois
Currently Offline

QUOTE(WannabeGT4 @ Dec 9, 2005 - 10:07 AM) [snapback]365243[/snapback]

What I've gathered so far:
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26475
http://www.6gc.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26491

1. An auto trans will bolt up to a 3SGTE.
2. The flexplate will bolt to the 3SGTE crank.
3. The 6th gen trans is computer controlled so you'll need the 5SFE's auto ECU to control it.
4. The BGB's at celicatech will be your best resource:
http://www.celicatech.com/imagearchive/bgbonline/bgb.php#6th

The mechanical part won't be the problem. How are you going to run the 3sgte engine off the 5sfe ECU? I am pretty sure you will need a standalone computer to do it.

Edit: nevermind, I just read the threads that you posted. Interesting approach. I think its going to be tricky.

This post has been edited by jgreening: Dec 9, 2005 - 11:46 AM

--------------------
QUOTE(lagos @ Jul 10, 2006 - 1:55 PM) [snapback]454118[/snapback]

i know your trying to do the right thing for your motor, but this is one of those times where you should just trust the guys who have had their swaps for a while and have done a ton of research into this.
post Dec 9, 2005 - 11:38 AM
+Quote Post
desertwolf300

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 27, '04
From Texas
Currently Offline

Thanks WannabeGT4, that was really good info and a surprising amount of criticism. I was shocked at the behavior of some of these guys. Anyhow, it seems like a whole lot of trouble now so I may not move into that kind of project. I think it's cool that you had the same idea, though. Did you ever start/complete it?

--Bill

This post has been edited by desertwolf300: Dec 9, 2005 - 11:39 AM
post Dec 9, 2005 - 12:36 PM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

QUOTE(desertwolf300 @ Dec 9, 2005 - 10:38 AM) [snapback]365250[/snapback]

Thanks WannabeGT4, that was really good info and a surprising amount of criticism. I was shocked at the behavior of some of these guys. Anyhow, it seems like a whole lot of trouble now so I may not move into that kind of project. I think it's cool that you had the same idea, though. Did you ever start/complete it?

--Bill

I'm still trying to find the third ecu plug. After that I'll be ready to go.

QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 9, 2005 - 10:33 AM) [snapback]365249[/snapback]

I think its going to be tricky.

It probably will be, but I've got a few ideas to try if it doesn't work out how I planned.

This post has been edited by WannabeGT4: Dec 9, 2005 - 12:37 PM

--------------------
IPB Image
post Dec 9, 2005 - 1:33 PM
+Quote Post
desertwolf300

Enthusiast
Joined Sep 27, '04
From Texas
Currently Offline

Awesome. Let me know how it works out for you.
post Dec 9, 2005 - 1:42 PM
+Quote Post
celicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 23, '05
Currently Offline

personally, i think this is an awesome idea. hope it works for you wannabe.

--------------------
IPB Image

I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra scary to me, because there's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside.
post Dec 9, 2005 - 1:55 PM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

QUOTE(desertwolf300 @ Dec 9, 2005 - 12:33 PM) [snapback]365294[/snapback]

Awesome. Let me know how it works out for you.

Will do.

QUOTE(celicaST @ Dec 9, 2005 - 12:42 PM) [snapback]365298[/snapback]

personally, i think this is an awesome idea. hope it works for you wannabe.

Thanks for the encouragement. It will work one way or another.

--------------------
IPB Image
post Dec 9, 2005 - 2:18 PM
+Quote Post
dstrbcelica

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 24, '03
From fort smith, ar
Currently Offline

i'd like to know too..

-dstrb

This post has been edited by dstrbcelica: Dec 9, 2005 - 2:18 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

former celica owner.
post Dec 9, 2005 - 2:50 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

doing a 3sgte swap with an auto tranny is like kissing your sister ...just dont do it.

it totally defeats the whole purpose of doing the swap. the auto car will be a lot slower then the manual. you really wont feel like you upgraded to more power and the auto tranny will not last long from the extra power. not to mention that you will have to figure out a way to run 2 ecus so that the auto tranny will know what to do.

i know a manual car may seem scary when all you have driven in the past are automatics. i remember when i was looking to buy my car, i wanted to buy an automatic at first too because i never drove a stick before. i thought traffic driving would suck, having to park up a hill would be impossible, etc... now that i have been driving a stick for around 4 years, i look back at how silly all those thought were. it becomes 2nd nature, and i dont think i would ever buy an automatic car again.

youll never find a manual driver that wants to convert their car to an automatic ! yet almost every auto owner wishes they had a manual

This post has been edited by lagos: Dec 9, 2005 - 2:51 PM

--------------------
15PSI - 30MPG - Megasquirt Tuned
post Dec 9, 2005 - 3:01 PM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

Here come the pessimists and naysayers...

--------------------
IPB Image
post Dec 9, 2005 - 3:18 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

its your car and your money, so do what you want. im just trying to give my opinion on it so that later you cant say....."why didnt anyone tell me it would be so slow with this tranny?"

--------------------
post Dec 9, 2005 - 3:25 PM
+Quote Post
jgreening

Enthusiast
Joined Jan 17, '04
From Illinois
Currently Offline

Art, Justin WANTS an auto car with more power. That might not what you and I want, but he does. Give the guy a break already.

--------------------
QUOTE(lagos @ Jul 10, 2006 - 1:55 PM) [snapback]454118[/snapback]

i know your trying to do the right thing for your motor, but this is one of those times where you should just trust the guys who have had their swaps for a while and have done a ton of research into this.
post Dec 9, 2005 - 3:26 PM
+Quote Post
celicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 23, '05
Currently Offline

QUOTE(lagos @ Dec 9, 2005 - 12:50 PM) [snapback]365323[/snapback]

doing a 3sgte swap with an auto tranny is like kissing your sister ...just dont do it.

it totally defeats the whole purpose of doing the swap. the auto car will be a lot slower then the manual. you really wont feel like you upgraded to more power and the auto tranny will not last long from the extra power. not to mention that you will have to figure out a way to run 2 ecus so that the auto tranny will know what to do.

i know a manual car may seem scary when all you have driven in the past are automatics. i remember when i was looking to buy my car, i wanted to buy an automatic at first too because i never drove a stick before. i thought traffic driving would suck, having to park up a hill would be impossible, etc... now that i have been driving a stick for around 4 years, i look back at how silly all those thought were. it becomes 2nd nature, and i dont think i would ever buy an automatic car again.

youll never find a manual driver that wants to convert their car to an automatic ! yet almost every auto owner wishes they had a manual

wannabe said he has the parts for manual swap in one of those threads if he decides auto either doesnt work or he changes his mind. as for your comment, i know how to drive a manual because i didnt get my car until i was 17 and a half or so and i learned how on my brothers 90 celica in order to take my driving test. even knowing how to drive manual, i can say that i prefer automatic for many reasons in a daily driver, even though at times i miss manual. i give wannabe credit for trying something new and unique in a 6gc. heck, one of the reasons im leaning on 7afte over swap is to KEEP the auto.

This post has been edited by celicaST: Dec 9, 2005 - 3:28 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry. And that's extra scary to me, because there's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside.
post Dec 9, 2005 - 3:37 PM
+Quote Post
lagos

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 31, '02
From Philadelphia, PA
Currently Offline

QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 9, 2005 - 3:25 PM) [snapback]365337[/snapback]

Art, Justin WANTS an auto car with more power. That might not what you and I want, but he does. Give the guy a break already.

like i said... its not my car, or my money. im just trying to present the other side of the coin. its his decision in the end. i just dont think a swaped celica with an auto tranny will put down 100 extra hp to the wheels, the same way as it does with a manual tranny.

--------------------
post Dec 9, 2005 - 3:44 PM
+Quote Post
celicaST

Enthusiast
Joined Jun 23, '05
Currently Offline

QUOTE(lagos @ Dec 9, 2005 - 1:37 PM) [snapback]365343[/snapback]

QUOTE(jgreening @ Dec 9, 2005 - 3:25 PM) [snapback]365337[/snapback]

like i said... its not my car, or my money. im just trying to present the other side of the coin. its his decision in the end. i just dont think a swaped celica with an auto tranny will put down 100 extra hp to the wheels, the same way as it does with a manual tranny.

well of course its not, oviously since its running through a torque converter, thats not the point though. i do agree with you though that the auto tranny's clutches and bands for 5s will likely have problems slipping under high loads. im not sure if there are shift kits available for that tranny to help. ive looked for my a246e tranny and havnt found much.

This post has been edited by celicaST: Dec 9, 2005 - 3:45 PM

--------------------
IPB Image

post Dec 9, 2005 - 4:47 PM
+Quote Post
WannabeGT4

Enthusiast
Joined Oct 10, '03
From Wichita, KS
Currently Offline

I've found at least one place that sells performance a140e kits and transaxles.
$500 for the kit, $2500 for the entire trans.

--------------------
IPB Image
post Dec 11, 2005 - 1:53 AM
+Quote Post
97sccelica

Enthusiast
Joined Aug 30, '02
From Anaheim, CA
Currently Offline

if you want a FAST car, auto is the way to go

and if you are worried about controlling it, get a built trans that shifts only when you tell it to. that way you dont need a computer to control it, just a shifter, put it in 1, then 2 and so on till what ever gear you want to cruise in.

also, get a good torque converter and trans cooler, that way you can really put the benifits of an auto tranny to use.

if i had the money(about $6k) i would have put a built auto into my WRX instead of an sti 6spd. nail perfect launches every time, shift faster than any human can, and never miss a shift

in conclusion, if you put the right stuff in, an auto tranny will make the car faster, will it be just as fun? that depends on how you drive and personal preference

--------------------
1994 Celica GT4 WRC Edition
@gt4.wrc on Instagram

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 10:10 AM