6G Celicas Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

400 Pages V  « < 344 345 346 347 348 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Teh Official "Dude Where's My Forum?" Thread, Brought to you by the minds of Box, and her fiancée, Lorelei
post Oct 27, 2019 - 10:44 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

I'd be worried about acetone coming into contact with any plastic or paint, generally denatured alcohol works really well and will only dry out plastic and strip wax vs melting it. Vinegar works for mineral deposits and water spots if you don't want to glove up for something like CLR.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 27, 2019 - 11:04 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I've got some iron remover that's might strip it, it sure strips any wax and sealers off paint well enough. Probably not a bad idea to decom the glass with iron remover anyway, I did a clay and razor clean a few years ago and clay it regularly a few times a year but nothing is killing the water beading and I haven't waxed or rain-x'd in a long time lol. I guess it could be left over rejex or wax from a few years ago or those silicone blades really did embed into the glass and that's why. It is only where I wipe...I dunno. I want to re-up the water shedding on it anyway, Mothers CMX was on sale so I got a bottle to pickup Tuesday from PepBoys with their 25% off buy online deal. I've heard it's good when you layer it so I'm gonna try layering it on her car and hopefully it stays clean through the winter, I just need to get it down to clean first and somewhat corrected, I'll correct and GPS each panel and portion one at a time when I can and then when she has a couple days off in a row I'll get the garage to about 50-60F and do two layers of CMX. In the mean time I'll get the Celica all cleaned up and better corrected and do coats of CMX on it and see how it does through the year in 2020. Maybe in 2021 I'll pour a shot of Vodka in the gas tank to celebrate.

--------------------
post Oct 28, 2019 - 1:41 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Probably being metal particles can attach to glass, and if it removes wax and sealers then there you go. You'd think in this day and age they could come up with a permanent transparent coating for glass to be applied at the factory that'd sheet the water off. Then this wouldn't be a problem.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Oct 29, 2019 - 11:28 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

A local Pepboys is going out of business and it's all 40% off except like tires, parts, and batteries. I got a big bottle of Rain-X for $4.50, I'm going to go back and grab some more stuff tomorrow, I kind of had it in my head what I was in there for so I did a **** job browsing around. Saw a video showing how Meg's water spot remover is also a glass polish so I'm going to get some if they have it and polish out the scratches on her windshield from the wiper blades swiping abrasive back and forth, maybe I'll get two bottles if they have 2. I'll probably get some other stuff like filters, injector cleaner, etc as well because that stuff never expires it just gets lost lol.

Anyway, I also got my bottle of CMX so I cleaned and coated my toilet. If it can wax a toilet it can wax a car!

--------------------
post Nov 3, 2019 - 1:13 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

This random Arby's in southern Indiana is playing a Pokemon soundtrack....can someone confirm to me what year it is? They're impeaching the president, MCR and RATM are announcing tours....did I drive backwards in time?

--------------------
post Nov 3, 2019 - 8:24 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

LOLOLOL The backasswards route the GPS takes me to get to I-65 from where I live took me past this and I just HAD to Google it to confirm it was in fact what I thought it was.
http://www.ponderosasunclub.com/
Yep, sure is. LOL

--------------------
post Nov 3, 2019 - 11:54 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 3, 2019 - 12:13 PM) *
This random Arby's in southern Indiana is playing a Pokemon soundtrack....can someone confirm to me what year it is? They're impeaching the president, MCR and RATM are announcing tours....did I drive backwards in time?

Hey, you were warned serious **** would happen at 88 mph. laugh.gif

Ugh... spent all day in bed yesterday on heating pad because my hips were killing me, they're still sore but at least it's bearable now.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 4, 2019 - 8:39 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Box @ Nov 3, 2019 - 10:54 PM) *

Ugh... spent all day in bed yesterday on heating pad because my hips were killing me, they're still sore but at least it's bearable now.

laugh.gif And WHAT were you doing to make your hips so sore? Hmmmmm..... laugh.gif

--------------------
post Nov 4, 2019 - 4:02 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 3, 2019 - 7:24 PM) *
LOLOLOL The backasswards route the GPS takes me to get to I-65 from where I live took me past this and I just HAD to Google it to confirm it was in fact what I thought it was.
http://www.ponderosasunclub.com/
Yep, sure is. LOL

I bet you decided to swing by there. laugh.gif Unrelated, I know, but I can’t resist making a bad joke.

I’m trying out some LED headlights in the LX470 right now. Not too impressed so far. Light output is okay but only directly in front of the car, they don’t really reach as far as the super dim halogens did. That’s the passenger side, anyway. The driver side bulb refuses to sit properly so it’s kind of just pointing straight down. Gotta figure out a solution for that. One of the fog lights already burned out in her Rav4 and it uses an H16 bulb which for some reason, absolutely no store around here has in stock. Since she had to order bulbs online anyway she decided to go with yellow LED’s. I’m on the fence about the LED’s in my Lexus but man.... the bulbs in her fog lights are garbage. You can’t even tell that they are turned on at night which is actually really fortunate because they are all glare, no semblance of light control whatsoever.

Of course I also went through and upgraded all of the interior lighting to LED’s in the Hundy. Non-VVT 2UZ and a 4 speed auto mean that this thing drinks fuel at an alarming rate while simultaneously being incredibly slow but I’m loving it so far. We’re putting some Yokohama Geolandars on it in a couple of weeks so we’ll be ready to hit some trails in the Spring.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

2006 Aston Martin V8 Vantage.
1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2022 4Runner TRD Off Road Prenium.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 4, 2019 - 4:04 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Lemme yell at you about bulbs when I'm home dude.

--------------------
post Nov 4, 2019 - 4:58 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

No denial about swinging, I see. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

The Rav4 is definitely switching back to halogens ASAP and I’m sure the Hundy isn’t far behind. The bulbs in it were pretty old and getting dim so I was replacing them anyway and decided to see what all the fuss is about LED’s. Since they’re H1’s, they fit about as well as I expected them to. I’m sure that being a 2001 Lexus, the projectors aren’t all that good either.

--------------------
"Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others labored hard for." -Socrates. Even Socrates told us to use the search button!

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 4, 2019 - 9:41 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Not the image I was looking for but it'll do. Light source location is CRITICAL to beam performance as is how the light is emitted. The image is accurate enough for this example but you can see that light emitted at very shallow angles from the filament striking the rearmost parts of a reflector is responsible for the center part of the beam, the part that goes far down the road. What are LED bulbs generally very bad at? Putting light into that part of the reflector! What they are good at is putting too much light into the rest of the bowl and making right in front of the car too bright and making right above the main beam too bright so you blind yourself AND you blind others, and NO ONE can see a ****ing thing. laugh.gif

I can't recall what years your vehicles are, repost that info and I'll see if I can scare up something better for your lighting.

--------------------
post Nov 4, 2019 - 11:23 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

QUOTE (Bitter @ Nov 4, 2019 - 7:39 AM) *
QUOTE (Box @ Nov 3, 2019 - 10:54 PM) *

laugh.gif And WHAT were you doing to make your hips so sore? Hmmmmm..... laugh.gif

It's from my hip bones spreading, gah.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 4, 2019 - 11:27 PM
+Quote Post
richee3

Joined Jun 29, '08
From Denver
Currently Online

The Rav4 is a 2019 and going back to halogens ASAP. The bulbs are dim Ava useless but that’s not the issue, the issue with those is that there’s no control over the light. The LX is an ‘01 and I’ll say that from where I’m sitting, the LED’s are no brighter than regular bulbs but lack the reach of regular halogens. I don’t want to put the old dim bulbs back in but I’m not at all impressed with LED replacement bulbs. The factory LED lights in the Rav4 are nice but as far as replacement bulbs in a halogen housing, I’m not impressed so far. I’m sure nicer bulbs from Diode Dynamics or somewhere would be much nicer but by the time I spend that money, I’d spend a little more and do a proper HID projector retrofit. I won’t get that far into this old jalopy though. I’ll buy some basic Sylvania H1’s off the shelf this weekend and be done.

--------------------

1998 Celica GT-
BEAMS Swapped.
2021 GMC Sierra AT4.
post Nov 5, 2019 - 8:12 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

I could have just looked at your signature, I'm such a doofus.

Even then you'd probably be somewhat disappointed. There will never be a LED bulb for that fog light that works well, it's a decorative lamp and nothing more, meant only to differentiate trim levels of vehicle. 'oh look honey this one has the fog lights'

As for the Lexus. H1 bulbs are terrible. It probably IS worth doing a projector retrofit with whatever fits, I can look into what fits later if you'd like. If you can fit a 3" projector in there then the G5R would be my choice, they're super bright at standard 35W and use a normal D2S bulb you can buy anywhere.

--------------------
post Nov 7, 2019 - 8:42 PM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Attempted to polish some scratches out of the windshield of my Mazda, I did manage to really clean the glass very well to a 'virgin' like state and reduce one larger scratch somewhat but overall didn't get much accomplished. I think a rotary buffer is needed and I have a DA, maybe a real glass cutting compound it would work better with my DA but I don't really want to put that much into it. It was fun to try and now I can super clean glass. I'll go at it again and try to clear up some annoying areas in my field of view but right now eh. Maybe I could mix some cerium oxide powder in with the Meg Water Spot remover to make it cut glass better, if I run across a cheap sample of glass grade CO powder I'll think about it.

--------------------
post Nov 9, 2019 - 10:33 PM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Clear glass is happy glass. One of these days I'll have car stuff to relay again, but until then I'll just do... ehh.... something.

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 10, 2019 - 9:29 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

Sadly there's no way to make my windshield clear, it's so pitted and scratched. It's a little better but barely, whatever. I can always use those felt pads for cutting orange peel on flat surfaces with a light compound. I might go back at it later the side or rear glass but for now it's been rinseless washed a wiped down all clean, coated in Mothers CMX over all the other layers of waxes and sealants and stuff because I was too lazy to strip it all off, and it'll go back out into the snow and salt on Monday so we'll see how it does. I'm done putting stuff on it for a few weeks, I'll bring it back into the garage for a rinseless wash in a couple weeks again and check how it's holding up but it's going to have to just deal with what it's got on it now, it's too cold for coatings to work correctly in the garage. Regular waxes are going to be it until warmer weather. I can go back to working on her car now when it's home and try to get it cleaned up for winter as well, it's got a bit of factory orange peel so I was thinking of giving it a light cut with an orange peel pad and a very minimally abrasive compound to try to set it apart from all the other Ford Escapes in terms of how nice it looks, might give me a leg up when I see if Ford will step up and repair the rotting door edges on it. I can lie and say 'look how well it's been maintained, have you seen any other Escape shine like this one!?'

This post has been edited by Bitter: Nov 10, 2019 - 9:29 AM

--------------------
post Nov 11, 2019 - 4:35 AM
+Quote Post
Box

Enthusiast
Joined Feb 23, '12
From Warrior, AL
Currently Offline

Haha, but if it's past the corrosion warranty why would they care enough to fix it? Unless it was bad enough for a recall?

--------------------
2001 Miata LS 5-speed
post Nov 11, 2019 - 5:28 AM
+Quote Post
Bitter

Enthusiast
Joined Mar 11, '06
From Way South Chicago
Currently Offline

It's not past the corrosion warranty, it's just not perforated yet BUT it's a very common problem and I think a defect in how they made the door panel like the seam sealer in the bottom of the door got forgotten. My Ford built Mazda is 22 years old with 173,000 miles and the bottom edges at the seams are JUST starting to show some rust through down there bleeding through.

--------------------

400 Pages V  « < 344 345 346 347 348 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: March 28th, 2024 - 6:10 AM